PDA

View Full Version : The Spirits Within

Bandersnatch
07-21-2011, 08:42 AM
I know Sakaguchi directed it, and it was Squares production, but other than the words "Final Fantasy" being slapped on the front, I dont see how this can be related to the series at all. You'd think it being a FF movie, they would put things in it from FF, for instance Chocobos, Summons or Magic, some common enemies such as Bombs or Cactaurs, or Tonberries, hell even crystals would have made sense. Granted I enjoyed the movie very much, but I dont see in any shape or form why they decided to put Final Fantasy on the title.

LunarWeaver
07-21-2011, 05:57 PM
I reckon they wanted something that could appeal to the masses but also wanted a name carrying a fanbase, and the two ended up punching each other in the cock.

Quindiana Jones
07-21-2011, 06:42 PM
It has Gaia, the lifeforce of the planet, in it. That's pretty FF.

Wolf Kanno
07-22-2011, 08:03 PM
I swear there is a subliminal message in Spirits Within cause everytime I watch it, I get in the mood to play VII/IX. :D

I think Kyle said it best as to why it came out the way it did. I also think Sakaguchi was trying to challenge fans idea of what FF was, cause by this point, there was some arguments among the fans about the heavy fantasy in the earlier games versus the more modern sci-fi elements of the more recent entries. Unfortunately, he shot his own foot and learned the hard way that just because you're the creator, doesn't mean you can ignore what the fans want, and as such he made a film that pretty much alienated all of his fanbase. Considering early fan speculation was that it was going to be a FFVII movie didn't help him either.

I still like the movie though, and don't consider it the trash people make it out to be, but I do feel the movie itself pretty represents the problem with the FF direction, by being more about technology than being well crafted.

Bastian
07-22-2011, 09:14 PM
The movie is definitely good and worth a watch, but it is no more "Final Fantasy" than... Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (which it reminds me a lot of).

Mercen-X
07-23-2011, 08:18 PM
Sid was in it.

If they made a game version of Spirits Within... I have no idea how they would accomplish it, but it would probably make it easier to enjoy the movie.