PDA

View Full Version : My day just got weird.

sharkythesharkdogg
07-21-2011, 10:34 PM
So an associate (Kevin) right down the road from my shop (it's another shop, but they specialize in marine work) calls me and says there's a man with a Taurus broken down. He doesn't do cars, so would I take a look?

I agree, and wait for the tow service to bring the car over. Then Kevin calls to tell me that the car and man have left and are coming to my shop in the tow truck. The catch is that he thinks the man is a little disoriented and not acting right. I'm pissed because it came across as Kevin dumping a problem in my lap. It's not, and he came by later to help out, but it wasn't cool at first.

Anyway, and elderly man shows up with the tow truck and his car. He announces that he has no way to pay the tow service, and therefore no way to pay me if I fix his car.

Further conversation reveals that the main thinks he's in New Jersey where he lives (I'm in South Carolina), and that he'll pay me back later on. I explain it'd be really hard for him to do that what with him living 14 hours away, and I'm obviously quite concerned about this guy's health. I sit him down in our waiting area and give him some water. I call the police and explain the situation. This guy needs help.

While I wait for the police I start poking around the Taurus to see what's wrong. I'm checking things out when this panting sounds, and a wet thing lick the side of my face. So I turn around to see the world's thirstiest puppy looking at me. It must have been 115 in that car. The poor guy had forgotten about the thing.

So I get miss puppy some water, and she drank a good bit. (don't worry I spaced it out)

The car had run out of gas, and he killed the battery trying to crank it.

Once the police arrived, they managed to coax the man into giving them some I.D. and learned that he was on a missing persons list. He'd been missing for several days!!

He's from Georgia and not New Jersey. (My theory. Here in the past 8 years or so a lot of black families have started moving back to the Atlanta area from further north. I believe that he used to live in Jersey and moved down here with some family to take care of him. He's senile he thought he still lived there, and thought he was driving around Jersey.)

So the EMS took him to the hospital, and I'm stuck with his busted up Taurus until the family is contacted.

I'm also stuck with a rambunctious little pit bull looking puppy! That pees everywhere! (Okay, I'm a little happy about the puppy.)

Pics of the nefarious puppy scourge terrorizing my waiting area.

http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz318/sharkythesharkdogg/IMG_0472.jpg (http://http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz318/sharkythesharkdogg/IMG_0472.jpg)

http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz318/sharkythesharkdogg/IMG_0471.jpg (http://http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz318/sharkythesharkdogg/IMG_0471.jpg)

AngelWings8
07-22-2011, 12:37 AM
AWWWWWW! :kaolove2:

That does seem like a pretty weird day. Poor guy...and poor puppy. Where do you work? A car dealership or repair shop?

sharkythesharkdogg
07-22-2011, 12:41 AM
I run a family owned auto repair shop. We work on everyday stuff, and specialty projects such as race cars as well. Little bit o' variety.

The son just showed up and picked up the dog, and the car so NOW I can leave work. Long day.

AngelWings8
07-22-2011, 12:51 AM
Ahhh so you're my clients' competition! :-P I do marketing for VW service & parts departments.

Long day for me as well...just now leaving work >.< I've covering for both my coworker and my boss because apparently half my team decided to take vacation all at the same time. X_X

NorthernChaosGod
07-22-2011, 04:26 AM
D'awwwwwww, what a cute puppy.

That's quite a story, bro.

escobert
07-22-2011, 03:58 PM
wow that's quite the story. Cute puppy :D

Peegee
07-22-2011, 04:08 PM
according to the poorly written wikipedia article missing persons who are adults cannot be notified to their family. However I don't know if this applies if the person is clearly mentally deficient. If the hospital makes such a determination, hopefully his family can be notified.

That said, lol...I have a friend who is a police officer. He often gives us these stories of how his entire shift (and then some) gets ruined by some idiot who makes him drive all over town and then do paper work. Example:

Said friend gets a call to go to an apartment. Apparently some dudes had stolen some stuff. Said dudes were there, along with a woman. They were questioned and booked (they also appeared to be drug dealers). Anyway that's not the point. The point is that while leaving the girl decided to add "um...so the other night one of them stuck their penis in me and I sorta said they couldn't"

So now they had to drag her ass to a hospital for a rape kit to be done. Bye bye shift.

sharkythesharkdogg
07-22-2011, 04:31 PM
I hadn't heard anything about an adult missing person being a situation where the family can not be notified when they are found.

The police notified this gentleman's family. He had Alzheimer's, so that's probably why it was acceptable.

Far as I know man and puppy were okay.

Before the son showed up later that evening, I had my friend who is a vet tech and a complete sweetheart make a special trip out to look the puppy over and she said the girl looked pretty good considering.

Ahhh so you're my clients' competition! :-P I do marketing for VW service & parts departments.

Long day for me as well...just now leaving work >.< I've covering for both my coworker and my boss because apparently half my team decided to take vacation all at the same time. X_X

I do get a random smattering of VW work. The last one was a VW powered rail buggy/dune buggy.

Jessweeee♪
07-22-2011, 05:36 PM
Puppy!

The weirdest work related thing to ever happen to me is the president of the company I work for getting drunk at my grandparent's house and singing hit the road jack in his thick Thai accent xD

fire_of_avalon
07-22-2011, 09:41 PM
You and Kevin are like heroes. And puppy heroes also.

And PG, most state and local law enforcement bureaus will notify the party or parties that reported a person missing when they're found. I mean if the missing person is in control of their own faculties they won't.

Miriel
07-22-2011, 09:48 PM
Oh my gosh, what a beautiful little puppy. Awwwwwww.

Very awesome of you to take care of both the old man and the beautiful puppy. Maybe you'll get to keep her! And she'll love you forever. <3