PDA

View Full Version : Amy Winehouse is found dead.

demondude
07-23-2011, 05:59 PM
Source (http://twitter.com/#%21/breakingnews)

Source (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2018020/Amy-Winehouse-dead--Found-dead-London-flat.html)

Source (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/celebritynews/8656961/Amy-Winehouse-dies-aged-27.html)

This isn't surprising in the slightest considering her heavy alcoholism and drug use, but it is a shame. Before she went off the rails she was a nice girl.

Discuss.

Laddy
07-23-2011, 06:01 PM
Should've gone to rehab.

Araciel
07-23-2011, 06:05 PM
Should've gone to rehab.

Never too soon.

Rantz
07-23-2011, 06:30 PM
Rest in peace.

charliepanayi
07-23-2011, 06:41 PM
Pretty awful news, her problems consumed her in the end it seems :(

Chris
07-23-2011, 07:37 PM
A friend of mine went to one of her concerts a couple of years ago, and said that she already looked like she was at the end of her life back then. Can't say that I ever liked her music, but here's hoping that she is going to find peace. Wherever she is.

Clo
07-23-2011, 07:52 PM
And now everyone will revel in her death, because the media wanted her to die so badly anyway.

Shlup
07-23-2011, 08:49 PM
Headlines should read "Amy Winehouse Managed to Live Until June 22".

Old Manus
07-23-2011, 09:00 PM
So. Farewell
Then
Amy Winehouse.

"I told you
I was trouble"

Yes. That was
Your catchphrase.

Maybe this time
You might
Be saying "I
told you I was
IN trouble".

charliepanayi
07-23-2011, 09:46 PM
This post rather nicely sums things up:

Amy Winehouse tribute (http://www.popjustice.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=5570&Itemid=206)

NorthernChaosGod
07-23-2011, 10:08 PM
Headlines should read "Amy Winehouse Managed to Live Until June 22".

"Many lose bets"

DMKA
07-23-2011, 10:38 PM
They tried to make her go to rehab but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO-nooo-noo.

I pretty much feel the same way I did when Anna Nicole Smith died. It was like, amazing it didn't happen sooner.

Very unfortunate because Miss Winehouse was a talented individual. A complete waste, aside of the tasteless jokes as a result. :heart:

champagne supernova
07-23-2011, 11:14 PM
She's definitely going in the 27 Club. Not that I like her music, but she fits.

Mirage
07-24-2011, 01:21 AM

I pretty much feel the same way I did when Anna Nicole Smith died. It was like, amazing it didn't happen sooner.

Very unfortunate because Miss Winehouse was a talented individual. A complete waste, aside of the tasteless jokes as a result. :heart:

At least anna nicole showed us her tits

DMKA
07-24-2011, 03:21 AM

At least anna nicole showed us her tits

You have a point.

Rocket Edge
07-24-2011, 02:50 PM
It's a shame because I thought she had a unique voice & great talent. Wasn't really into her music though, apart from the song 'Love is a losing game (http://youtu.be/GfC6CCtZjxk)'. R.I.P.

I Don't Need A Name
07-24-2011, 03:32 PM
And the disgusting English Tabloids strike again. The Express had a front page with Her death on it, but nothing about Norway. Half of the rest had half or more of the page taken up by her. More deserving things are going on than another Heroin addict topping herself.

Dreddz
07-24-2011, 03:39 PM
I'm not happy she died but I'd rather not have to listen to everyone be so positive about her now that shes dead. She was a druggie, and not a very good role model. In fact, what has she been doing the last few years? Taking smack. What a hero.

I Don't Need A Name
07-24-2011, 03:44 PM
I'm not happy she died but I'd rather not have to listen to everyone be so positive about her now that shes dead. She was a druggie, and not a very good role model. In fact, what has she been doing the last few years? Taking smack. What a hero.

Exactly my point. Everyone is being all 'Oh it's such a loss. She had such a good voice blah blah'. She was more of a disgrace to the music business. Her last live performance consisted of her being boo'd from the stage for being so out of it that she couldn't even remembered the lyrics. That isn't the way someone who is privileged enough to be part of mainstream music should behave and treat their fans.

demondude
07-24-2011, 04:14 PM
Personally I wasn't a fan of Amy but I don't think her addictions should earn her scorn now she's dead. Let's face it, she was only part of mainstream music because she was a drug-addled wreck, and that's a larger indictment of our society, the media, and the romanticism of drug culture more than anything else. If people saw addiction as a serious illness as opposed to a crime or a taboo then there would be no morbid fascination over the culture, which only endangers more people for entertainment. And that's what it was all about. Morbid fascination and entertainment. Her life had basically become some twisted reality show, and now the season's over I'd imagine it will be another person's turn.

DMKA
07-24-2011, 04:34 PM

Yeah, but that's how it always is. NO ONE is bad when they die. Suddenly they're a saint, losing them was a tragedy, and they are culturally significant even if they haven't done anything worth mention in years.

And the disgusting English Tabloids strike again. The Express had a front page with Her death on it, but nothing about Norway. Half of the rest had half or more of the page taken up by her. More deserving things are going on than another Heroin addict topping herself.

While I agree with you that the way our media saturates their time with celebrity activities, I don't think that little explosion in Norway is any more important than her death in this instance, seeing as tit blows up in other, poorer, browner countries every day, and we don't care.

Let's face it, she was only part of mainstream music because she was a drug-addled wreck, and that's a larger indictment of our society, the media, and the romanticism of drug culture more than anything else. If people saw addiction as a serious illness as opposed to a crime or a taboo then there would be no morbid fascination over the culture, which only endangers more people for entertainment. And that's what it was all about. Morbid fascination and entertainment. Her life had basically become some twisted reality show, and now the season's over I'd imagine it will be another person's turn.

I was thinking about this myself, and it's very true. It's a lot like how Britney Spears was inactive for years but she consistently remained in the news because of all the insanity going on in her personal life, and how Linsday Lohan has done very little and made no films that did well in the last few years but also has remained famous because of her drunken criminal antics.

It all reflects very poorly on us as a people.

I Don't Need A Name
07-24-2011, 05:38 PM

While I agree with you that the way our media saturates their time with celebrity activities, I don't think that little explosion in Norway is any more important than her death in this instance, seeing as tit blows up in other, poorer, browner countries every day, and we don't care.

I was referring to the killing spree that ended in 93 deaths..

champagne supernova
07-24-2011, 06:09 PM
There's always been an allure to the troubled artist. Someone struggling with the demons that their creativity and their fame brings is automatically somewhat more appealing than someone straight and on the rails (Kurt Cobain versus Chris Martin, for example). Maybe it makes us think that their creativity comes from their ability to feel more than us or maybe it stems from these people who are complete write-offs in the rest of their life redeem themselves through their art. Regardless, the tragic nature of the write-offs and the screw-ups will always appeal to some inner part of our psyche.

Although I am high on cold medicine (I need to get better fast), so that could just be rubbish.

Madame Adequate
07-24-2011, 06:23 PM
Humans like rubbernecking, more at 10.

DMKA
07-24-2011, 06:41 PM

I was referring to the killing spree that ended in 93 deaths..

Again, things that are just as bad, and worse, happen in poorer, browner countries every day, and we don't care.

Not that it isn't awful, but I don't see how coverage upon coverage upon coverage of it does us any good. Nor does coverage upon coverage of celebrity druggies' deaths.

Shorty
07-24-2011, 06:43 PM
I think it's a shame that she's gone. Her lifestyle may have been thrashed, but she honestly had talent. I loved her music.

It's awful to me that people seem to think she's on a pedestal now only because she died. Guess what? The media will do the same thing when Britney Spears dies, so get ready for it. Amy paved the way for so many artists now, and so many more to come.

Just because she was a junkie doesn't mean she wasn't influential. RIP.

Old Manus
07-24-2011, 07:25 PM
Fine choice of word there with 'influencial'

charliepanayi
07-24-2011, 08:11 PM

I look forward to what you have to say when Paul McCartney, Keith Richards, Bob Dylan and David Bowie die. In other news, is that horse high enough for you?

Madame Adequate
07-24-2011, 08:34 PM
Some of those people actually made worthwhile contributions to music, and haven't killed themselves through drug abuse and alcoholism.

Breine
07-24-2011, 08:36 PM
Even though I probably shouldn't be, because of her lifestyle, I was pretty shocked to hear that she died.

She was immensely talented, and it's a damn shame that she had to die so young. She will join the 27 club for sure.
I was really looking forward to the release of her forthcoming album, and it truly sucks that she won't be able to make more music.

RIP.

charliepanayi
07-24-2011, 08:41 PM
Some of those people actually made worthwhile contributions to music, and haven't killed themselves through drug abuse and alcoholism.

So did Amy Winehouse in the short musical career she had, and the point is any of them could have done, such was the amount of drugs they were hoovering up at one point. If people want to start being sanctimonious about things like drug use, they can, but it just makes them look like holier-than-thou pillocks.

champagne supernova
07-24-2011, 08:46 PM
If people want to start being sanctimonious about things like drug use, they can, but it just makes them look like holier-than-thou pillocks.

If this was Facebook, I would like this.

Yeah, drugs can cause bad incidents of violence etc, but you can't say that Amy Winehouse harmed anyone but herself. It's a tragedy but charlie does list a whole lot of other musicians who experimented with drugs. I mean, c'mon, the Beatles names a song after LSD. What do you think they were on at the time?

I Don't Need A Name
07-24-2011, 09:02 PM

I look forward to what you have to say when Paul McCartney, Keith Richards, Bob Dylan and David Bowie die. In other news, is that horse high enough for you?

Did you honestly just compare her to them? These are all people who made a huge impact on the history of music, and all had careers that Amy Winehouse couldn't even dream of. Moreover, yes, they COULD have died of the drugs. But they didn't. They managed what they took. They created musical masterpieces out of them. And they lead a far more glamourous lifestyle than her whilst on them.

If people want to start being sanctimonious about things like drug use, they can, but it just makes them look like holier-than-thou pillocks.

If this was Facebook, I would like this.

Yeah, drugs can cause bad incidents of violence etc, but you can't say that Amy Winehouse harmed anyone but herself. It's a tragedy but charlie does list a whole lot of other musicians who experimented with drugs. I mean, c'mon, the Beatles names a song after LSD. What do you think they were on at the time?

Common misconception. Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds was actually written by Lennon after his son drew a picture, titled that. McCartney may have claimed since that it was a song about LSD but Lennon, the writer, said that it had nothing to do with it. But that's by the by anyway.

demondude
07-24-2011, 09:12 PM
If people like Lennon and Bowie have made impacts on music under the influence of drugs yet are so greatly celebrated, then why are musicians demonised for following suit?

charliepanayi
07-24-2011, 09:16 PM
Ah, my mistake, it's OK for musicians to be on drugs, so long as they don't die from them and so long as they're mega-famous.

champagne supernova
07-24-2011, 09:23 PM
And what do you mean by glamorous lifestyle? Cobain was probably worse than Winehouse.

EDIT: Sorry, I missed charlie's criteria that they have to remain alive.

Madame Adequate
07-24-2011, 09:53 PM
Ah, my mistake, it's OK for musicians to be on drugs, so long as they don't die from them and so long as they're mega-famous.

I don't give a tit whether they're on drugs or not, or whether they die or not. That's their business. But now she's dead, and she's going to be treated as having been even better than many thought she was while alive. Early death, by accident or design, is the surest route to immortality for the famous. The other people listed are famous for their musical prowess, wherever it came from. I don't remember the last time Winehouse made the news for her music rather than her antics.

The reason I'm bumstung is because she's not a good artist who was cut down in her prime, she's not a tortured soul who lost a battle with her inner demons, she was an entirely mediocre, overrated hag who made music worse, not better.

demondude
07-24-2011, 10:00 PM
I don't understand why people find they need to be vitriolic. She's dead. The amount of hate I've read, especially on facebook, is bizarre. I'm not lauding her at all, never have and never will, but why? It's better for a dead person to be perhaps undeservedly remembered positively than to be hated to such an extent.

champagne supernova
07-24-2011, 10:03 PM
Kinda agree with MILF in that she might be more highly rated than she actually was. But maybe unreleased recordings will come out and blow our minds. Maybe.

Yeah, there's one thing to say that you didn't like her music or her lifestyle or both and another to start pouring out hatred when you hear about her death.

charliepanayi
07-24-2011, 10:04 PM
The reason I'm bumstung is because she's not a good artist who was cut down in her prime, she's not a tortured soul who lost a battle with her inner demons, she was an entirely mediocre, overrated hag who made music worse, not better.

Actually she was those first two things to some extent, but she was more a Jeff Buckley type, someone who could have gone on to do so much more.

And calling her a hag is beyond pathetic.

I Don't Need A Name
07-24-2011, 10:16 PM
I don't understand why people find they need to be vitriolic. She's dead. The amount of hate I've read, especially on facebook, is bizarre. I'm not lauding her at all, never have and never will, but why? It's better for a dead person to be perhaps undeservedly remembered positively than to be hated to such an extent.

It's for exactly the reason that MILF displayed. It's because they get made into some kind of errorless god. The hate stems, yes, from dislike to the person in the first place. But it is then enhanced tenfold by people who take extreme offence to the slating of the person for the primary reason that they are deceased and thus, apparently, deserve more respect.

Madame Adequate
07-24-2011, 10:18 PM
http://www.howmuchdotheyweigh.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Amy-Winehouse.jpg

demondude
07-24-2011, 10:30 PM

It's for exactly the reason that MILF displayed. It's because they get made into some kind of errorless god. The hate stems, yes, from dislike to the person in the first place. But it is then enhanced tenfold by people who take extreme offence to the slating of the person for the primary reason that they are deceased and thus, apparently, deserve more respect.

If somebody wants to hold her as a role-model then so be it. She was not a horrendous criminal or a mass murderer, she was a drug-addled woman whos' crippling addictions led to her own demise. It is far more reprehensible when killers such as the kids from Columbine or Raoul Moat are glamorised and subsequently idolised. That's where the problem lies, not in a singer who harmed nobody but herself.

champagne supernova
07-24-2011, 10:33 PM
Yes, we know she looks like a mangled horse. We aren't defending her. Hopefully charlie is right and she will be known more for her potential than beatifying what she's already done, but there's no need for the hatred of her lifestyle. It's what rockstars do.

EDIT: May not agree with Demon Dude's construction of Dwarf Forts, but agree with what he's saying there.

charliepanayi
07-24-2011, 10:39 PM
Yeah MILF, beyond pathetic.

Psychotic
07-24-2011, 10:51 PM
It's sad that a woman in her 20's has died before her time, and it's a tragedy about the way it happened. I feel sorry for her loved ones. I don't for her as she had the chance, opportunity and financial means to get the help she needed that many drug addicts don't have, and she squandered it.

Oh, and her music was dire. :greenie:

demondude
07-24-2011, 11:10 PM
This all got very EoEO.

DMKA
07-25-2011, 12:13 AM

Such as.....?

Iceglow
07-25-2011, 12:29 AM
I'm the first to admit that I don't like Amy Winehouse's singing, IMHO she done one passable song and that was a cover of Valerie and it was better than the original no doubt about that but then the original was sung by The Zutons who are a terrible band means it wasn't hard to improve on that performance.

I've actually met Amy Winehouse, it's ironic she was a year older than me and grew up in the same area of London as I did which means we probably should have had some mutual friends at the very least but we didn't meet apart from one 20 minute moment in work where I was serving her at the tills. She was off her face then, unsurprisingly. Considering I've met and spoken to the woman I can't understand the people I see on Facebook who don't know her and never met her being all like "OMFG Amy ;_;" and actually tearing up over her death actually annoy me. It's the whole "you didn't know them and so sure, it sucks she died but it's not like you personally lost something or someone. If you'd like though my bitch slap can give you a reason to cry." situation, we've seen it before with other celebs and iconic figures but it doesn't make sense and never has done to me.

The thing that has surprised me so far is that no one has said publicly "Hey kids, remember when we all tell you drugs are bad? And you all answer 'mmkay' and never really listen and then go off and get mixed up in them? Well here you go, one prime example of why drugs, including alcohol are bad. Now listen to us" She can even in her death be a role model, a good one if you put the right spin on it. Ok so she isn't a role model of how to live your life, she is a role model for how not to live your life that doesn't make her any less of a good role model or example or lesson learned. Drugs are bad and you should avoid them because drugs are a slippery slope and once you get started it's all too easy to become the next Amy Winehouse except without the fame and money.

Madame Adequate
07-25-2011, 02:29 AM
Yeah MILF, beyond pathetic.

http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy178/Automilf/emot-ohdear.png That's me told I am so sorry that I am not wailing with grief over an extraordinarily overrated person who utterly self-destructed despite all the resources at her disposal to avert this it's just that while i feel any death is a tragedy i don't think she was any more notable than the 150,000 other people who died yesterday and can't summon terribly much sympathy for her because i am actually glad she won't make any more music and as pauw said she had far better chances than most of getting help but her most famous song is about refusing to get help

Such as.....?

Are you seriously asking what contributions Paul McCartney, Keith Richards, Bob Dylan, and David Smurfing Bowie have made to music? Seriously? I don't even like The Beatles and I'm not a huge fan of the Stones but I'm not going to deny that they were important.

Edit:

Yes, we know she looks like a mangled horse. We aren't defending her. Hopefully charlie is right and she will be known more for her potential than beatifying what she's already done, but there's no need for the hatred of her lifestyle. It's what rockstars do.

EDIT: May not agree with Demon Dude's construction of Dwarf Forts, but agree with what he's saying there.

But I don't hate her lifestyle. I don't give a flying smurf one way or the other. I'm just not going to pretend it was anything other than it was, and sure as Steve will write run-on sentences I'm not going to laud her for it, and as I don't like her music, I'm not going to laud her for that either. Oh and potential doesn't impress me. I've got tons of potential but I don't expect to win awards for books I've not written yet. Potential is meaningless until you do something with it.

DMKA
07-25-2011, 03:07 AM
Such as.....?

Are you seriously asking what contributions Paul McCartney, Keith Richards, Bob Dylan, and David Smurfing Bowie have made to music? Seriously? I don't even like The Beatles and I'm not a huge fan of the Stones but I'm not going to deny that they were important.

I just wanted to see your response. xD

Shiny
07-25-2011, 03:09 AM
It's certainly not shocking that she's dead, but unfortunate given her age and her plight with drugs. I may have not liked her music or followed it very thoroughly, but she could sing. She had promise and regardless of whether she was arguably very talented and definitely not a role model, she influenced people. It's also unfortunate when someone comes in a thread scorning people giving appropriate condolences. Just because people weren't fond of someone's lifestyle or their music doesn't mean they should be chastised for offering their sympathy.

Rodney
07-25-2011, 04:58 AM
Knew her name, wasn't familiar with her work. But it's a tragedy nonetheless for someone so talented.

Rantz
07-25-2011, 10:55 AM
@ Everybody saying she's being overrated/glorified just because she died: Isn't it natural to focus on the good parts when remembering a person who's died, and regretting the loss of them? Is it so terrible to put aside complete and utter objectivity for a while and mourning that there will be no more of the parts you liked? So what if you didn't like them or think they weren't important... people have different opinions and there's no need to poison the mood for those who are sad about the loss of someone who has made an impact, however slight, on their lives.

Nobody is asking anyone to offer Amy Winehouse respect they feel she's undeserving of, but I don't think it's too much to ask for a little respect for those who did like her, for whatever reason that may be.

Pheesh
07-25-2011, 11:30 AM
Congratulating Amy Winehouse on 24 hours of sobriety!!

Levian
07-25-2011, 12:30 PM
@ Everybody saying she's being overrated/glorified just because she died: Isn't it natural to focus on the good parts when remembering a person who's died, and regretting the loss of them? Is it so terrible to put aside complete and utter objectivity for a while and mourning that there will be no more of the parts you liked? So what if you didn't like them or think they weren't important... people have different opinions and there's no need to poison the mood for those who are sad about the loss of someone who has made an impact, however slight, on their lives.

Nobody is asking anyone to offer Amy Winehouse respect they feel she's undeserving of, but I don't think it's too much to ask for a little respect for those who did like her, for whatever reason that may be.

Thank you, I'll copy and paste this everytime a controversial celebrity dies.

Rocket Edge
07-25-2011, 01:13 PM
That isn't a reflection on the tabloid, it's a reflection on the market. The general public are more prone to pick up a paper when reading that instead of the tragedy in Norway. It is a shame though. :/

charliepanayi
07-25-2011, 01:38 PM
That isn't a reflection on the tabloid, it's a reflection on the market. The general public are more prone to pick up a paper when reading that instead of the tragedy in Norway. It is a shame though. :/

The Express didn't have Norway on the Saturday either, so it's not like Amy Winehouse bumped it off the front page. It's just the Express being idiots. All the proper newspapers have kept Norway as the main topic both yesterday and today, it's not a contest between the two events.

Ashley Riot
07-25-2011, 03:19 PM
Mass murder vs 1 dead singer...
At least she'l be chillin with 2pac at the thugs mansions next along with the mass murderers victims.

Shaibana
07-26-2011, 09:54 PM
wast´nt shocked at all. like everyone says; i couldv been predicted.

im not a huge fan of her, liked some of her songs, but she did really had a unike voice. (im not saying that just becaus shes dead now)

p.s jeezz.. ive bin writing the word Unike over 20 times .. how is it spelled correct? i know its not this way xD

demondude
07-26-2011, 10:11 PM
Unique. :p

Shaibana
07-26-2011, 10:30 PM
Unique. :p

yessss, thank u verry much ^^

SuperMillionaire
07-26-2011, 10:42 PM
Should've gone to rehab.
But she said "No, no, no..."

This is very sad. To die so young, at just 27 years old, is a real shame. And at the rate she's going, I think Lindsay Lohan will be next if she doesn't get her act together.

Shaibana
07-27-2011, 04:52 PM
Should've gone to rehab.

This is very sad. To die so young, at just 27 years old, is a real shame. And at the rate she's going, I think Lindsay Lohan will be next if she doesn't get her act together.

HAH absolutely!!
and a while after that itll be Miley Cyrus. ive heard she's gone all slutty etc in clips?

NorthernChaosGod
07-28-2011, 09:37 AM
and a while after that itll be Miley Cyrus. ive heard she's gone all slutty etc in clips?

Not until I get at that!

black orb
08-02-2011, 02:22 AM
>>> What a loss for music, her work was incredible..:luca:

BTW, Everyone who thinks she is overrated is stupid..

Madame Adequate
08-02-2011, 03:00 AM
Truly a powerful and convincing riposte.

Mirage
08-04-2011, 07:09 AM
Should've gone to rehab.

HAH absolutely!!

Yeah, dressing liberally is totally destroying her body like amy's drugs did

Shaibana
08-04-2011, 10:59 AM
Should've gone to rehab.

HAH absolutely!!

Yeah, dressing liberally is totally destroying her body like amy's drugs did

Not just that :o but she is a Disney-person and all the sudden cute little Hannah Montana goes slutty.... thats gotta be a shock for those 8 year olds

Hot Shot
08-04-2011, 11:10 AM
Another member of Club 27 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/27_Club).

I'm not personally saddened (seeing as I never met her and don't know her) but my thoughts go to her family and friends. She was such a talent and it's a shame it's gone to waste. But I can't say I'm too surprised, if anything, I'm surprised she lasted that long with all the drugs she took.

Mirage
08-04-2011, 11:15 AM
Not just that :o but she is a Disney-person and all the sudden cute little Hannah Montana goes slutty.... thats gotta be a shock for those 8 year olds

So, what does that have to do with drugs again?

Shaibana
08-04-2011, 01:31 PM
So, what does that have to do with drugs again?

Nothing yet ... ... just a mather of time

demondude
08-04-2011, 01:41 PM
In fairness there are lots of people who are just as, if not more 'slutty' than people like MC and they'll live normal lives, it's just that she's a celebrity so the rules change. The only inclination I have that she would ever do drugs is that she's young and famous and that can fuck people up psychologically.

Mirage
08-04-2011, 08:50 PM
And there are tons of celebritites that don't do drugs as well. we just don't hear about how drug-free people are in the tabloidz.

charliepanayi
08-05-2011, 09:10 AM
Hollywood stars prefer addictions to prescription drugs, botox and Scientology.