PDA

View Full Version : Opera users are so smart

KentaRawr!
07-29-2011, 05:31 PM
Article on why you're dumb :3 (http://mashable.com/2011/07/29/internet-explorer-iq/)

A recent study links intelligence test results with browser usage — and the results don’t look good for users of Microsoft’s Internet Explorer, especially its older versions.

The study, titled “Intelligence Quotient (IQ) and Browser Usage” by Canadian company AptiQuant, compiled IQ test scores of 101,326 individuals over the age of 16 and divided them into groups according to the browser they use.

The results are fascinating. Users of Internet Explorer 6 have an average IQ score barely over 80; Firefox and Chrome users fare much better, with average IQ scores of around 110, while Opera and Camino users have an average IQ score over 120.

It’s also interesting to note that average IQ scores of IE6 users were significantly higher in 2006, and that the IQ scores get better with newer versions of IE.

Internet Explorer 6 has long been a thorn in the side of developers who hated it for its non-compliance with web standards, while users struggled with its many security flaws. This new study will probably induce more mockery of the ancient (but still sometimes found on older computers) browser and its users, but it’s probably not telling us that much about the browser itself — it’s about unwillingness to upgrade to a new version of any software.

The study concludes that “individuals on the lower side of the IQ scale tend to resist a change/upgrade of their browsers.” It’s only logical that users with a higher IQ are more likely to experiment, choose a different software version or variant (notice that users of IE with Chrome frame score very high on IQ tests) or listen to upgrade suggestions and security advice.

In March, Microsoft started a campaign to get users to stop using Internet Explorer 6. But did it take into account the fact that many IE6 users tend to have lower than average IQ scores? Maybe that’s the key to finally getting rid of the world’s most hated web browser.

“Individuals on the lower side of the IQ scale tend to resist a change/upgrade of their browsers … Now that we have a statistical pattern on the continuous usage of incompatible browsers, better steps can be taken to eradicate this nuisance,” the study concludes.

Well, there you have it! This thread has two topics:

1: What do you think of the article?

2: What web browser do you use?

Pike
07-29-2011, 06:07 PM
1. The article made me giggle;

2. I'm using Firefox, which I've used since version 0.6 or something. I've almost switched to Chrome a couple of times but either the lack of some critical addon or some sort of weird and browser-breaking glitch keeps sending me back to Firefox.

On the subject of "alternative" browsers, I love the way Konqueror lets you have the web open in one tab and your file structure open in another. I miss how that was default in KDE D:

Peegee
07-29-2011, 06:11 PM
I use firefox because of greasemonkey, and because I forget.

I like how this morning I tried to paste a url in a fb update and it crashed my browser and froze skype for several minutes

ScottNUMBERS
07-29-2011, 06:37 PM
1: Tripe
2: IE6 (Though I renamed it Butthole Explorer for lols)

champagne supernova
07-29-2011, 06:44 PM
I use Safari. Which I probably shouldn't, because I think it leaks memory really badly. When it really annoys me or I need to be a super-spy, I use Chrome.

Peegee
07-29-2011, 06:55 PM
what's funny is that apparently firebox doesn't leak memory any more, but the current release uses a ridiculous amount of resauces.

Which is all and good for sheep, because I plan to buy a dual coar processor laptop this year (or a quad if it is affordable)

AngelWings8
07-29-2011, 06:55 PM
1: Tripe
2: IE6 (Though I renamed it Butthole Explorer for lols)

:O_O: Tripe? As in cow stomach? :O_O:

For me:
1. It's amusing :-D
2. I use Firefox on my home and work computer (because that's what my company uses), but Chrome on my netbook. I think I tried Opera once but I guess I just didn't like it enough to switch. I like my Firefox weather add-ons so that I can see the weather in the status bar all the time.

champagne supernova
07-29-2011, 07:02 PM
what's funny is that apparently firebox doesn't leak memory any more, but the current release uses a ridiculous amount of resauces.

Ridiculous amount. I used to have to use it because my Uni required a proxy to connect to anything and Chrome & Safari just couldn't do it. Going to try Opera now.

rubah
07-29-2011, 07:09 PM
uhhh, MOSAIC duh

Mirage
07-29-2011, 07:09 PM
Less common web browsers are going to score higher simply because only nerds know they even exist :p. As more and more normal people use a browser, the more towards the average worldwide IQ it would fall. I bet Firefox had a much higher score when it was in version less-than-1 :p.

I do find it strange that IE9 scores lower than IE8, though. What could the reason be?

IE8 users aren't scoring terribly bad anyway, considering the average IQ in the US is 98, they are just like 2-3 points below, and you'd have a hard time telling a 96 iq person from someone with 98 just by talking to them.

Rebellious Eagle
07-29-2011, 07:16 PM
I love how it says IE users are hardly intelligent...
I use Chrome. Simple, fast, doesn't crash on me. Nothing fancy. My Firefox got attacked by a virus and won't work now anyway.

Pheesh
07-29-2011, 07:25 PM
I've used Opera for a year or 2 now. It's pretty decent, I really like the speed dial, it syncs with my phone and the mouse gesture navigation is cool.

Odaisé Gaelach
07-30-2011, 01:39 AM
1: I couldn't understand it, what with all the big words they used.

2: I use Internet Explorer 9.

TrollHunter
07-30-2011, 03:22 AM
1: I couldn't understand it, what with all the big words they used.

2: I use Internet Explorer 9.

I see what you did there.

1: I guess it makes sense considering most people are fine with IE because they don't go the internet more often then most. Nerds are more likely to change browsers because they actually care about performance / add ons.

2: I use firefox.

Brennan
08-01-2011, 05:33 AM
I use firefox, like a champ! :jess:

NorthernChaosGod
08-01-2011, 09:11 AM
I use FF like a boss! /smug
Chrome doesn't have all the shit I need to make my Internet experience pleasurable.

I was pretty much going to say the same thing as Mirage up there.

Jessweeee♪
08-01-2011, 04:18 PM
Firefox.

But we only have IE at work :(

Shiny
08-01-2011, 11:06 PM
Firefox has lovely plug-ins, so I use that. I use to use IE until I realized it was complete shite thus increasing my IQ by .04.

Rostum
08-02-2011, 12:08 AM
1. The article was ok.

2. Back in the day I used Netscape Navigator. But these days I opt for Firefox.

Odaisé Gaelach
08-03-2011, 01:04 PM
Turns out it was fake.

BBC News - Internet Explorer story was bogus (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14370878)

Rantz
08-03-2011, 01:30 PM
Chrome doesn't have all the tit I need to make my Internet experience pleasurable.

Are you sure about that? (https://chrome.google.com/webstore?hl=en&category=ext)

I use Lynx, and not the member. But I like to use him too.

NorthernChaosGod
08-04-2011, 02:32 AM
Chrome doesn't have all the tit I need to make my Internet experience pleasurable.

Are you sure about that? (https://chrome.google.com/webstore?hl=en&category=ext)

I use Lynx, and not the member. But I like to use him too.
Yes, yes I am.

Heath
08-05-2011, 11:43 PM
I use Firefox because I dislike change.