PDA

View Full Version : Interesting update on Versus (saying have no fear)

champagne supernova
07-29-2011, 06:06 PM
Final Fantasy Versus XIII Still Chugging Along (http://www.1up.com/news/final-fantasy-xiii-chugging)

Some interesting tidbits in there. Firstly that Squenix has been prioritising XIII-2 and Type-0 over Versus, but also that comment on interactive cutscenes. Hopefully that should make an interesting experience that stops the - FF is now just a movie strung between set-plays - criticism.

EDIT: Nomura also says that Squenix are keeping him keep secrets. And I hope by interactive cutscenes, he doesn't mean QTEs like in the God of War series.

Mirage
07-29-2011, 06:47 PM
Versus 13 was always the game I looked forwards to the most out of all those FF13 games they announced all those years ago. They sure are taking their sweet time. Hopefully it is because they have gotten a pretty harsh wake-up call (not only because of the FF13 criticizm) and don't want to screw this one up.

Del Murder
07-30-2011, 06:33 PM
I like the interactive cutscenes. It's new and fresh. This game better be worth all the hype.

Mirage
07-30-2011, 07:05 PM
New and fresh in a FF game, yeah, I suppose :p

10-Breaker
08-01-2011, 10:31 AM
Last closest to interactive cutscenes for Final Fantasy were in FFVIII where you could run around pointlessly.

Mirage
08-01-2011, 12:55 PM
Where was that?

Jessweeee♪
08-01-2011, 04:01 PM
In some of the sort of FMV sequences in FFVIII you can move your party around. The train hopping mission in Timber is one example.

And I hope by interactive cutscenes, he doesn't mean QTEs like in the God of War series.

ARGH I hate QTE in cutscenes. Especially in Tomb Raider Anniversary. I love that game, but those cutscenes were retarded. Especially on the Wii. Either keep it flowy like KHII's reaction commands, or make it a plain ol' cutscene :|

Loony BoB
08-02-2011, 12:04 PM
...QTE?

Mirage
08-02-2011, 12:49 PM
Quick time events

like PRESS X NOW TO BE MOTHERSMURFING BADASS
PRESS O NOW TO DECAPITATE 60 ENEMIES

etc

Loony BoB
08-02-2011, 01:11 PM
Ohhh, like Bayonetta's "press O this splitsecond in order to survive" or Mass Effect's "at this point you can press a button and punch someone if you want to be a rebel" stuff? Gotcha. Yeah, those are boring and in Bayonetta's case, genuinely annoying.

Del Murder
08-02-2011, 05:48 PM
I liked them in God of War. Mixes it up from the general 'slash at everything in sight'.

Also, I love how Mirage typed out 'smurfing'. :D

DMKA
08-03-2011, 12:56 AM
Last closest to interactive cutscenes for Final Fantasy were in FFVIII where you could run around pointlessly.

Hey now, lets not forget X-2's BRILLIANT "HEY PUSH X AT RANDOM MOMENT AT RANDOM CUTSCENE 30 HOURS INTO THE GAME WITH NOTHING TELLING YOU TO DO SO BEFOREHAND, WHICH YOU ALSO HAVE TO DO TO OBTAIN THE PERFECT ENDING" interactive drivel.

Quick time events

etc

These need to disappear forever. I can't count how many times I died on my first playthrough of Bayonetta because I wasn't ready to press a button during a random cutscene to not die.

Kill them. Kill them with fire.

10-Breaker
08-04-2011, 04:07 PM

Hey now, lets not forget X-2's BRILLIANT "HEY PUSH X AT RANDOM MOMENT AT RANDOM CUTSCENE 30 HOURS INTO THE GAME WITH NOTHING TELLING YOU TO DO SO BEFOREHAND, WHICH YOU ALSO HAVE TO DO TO OBTAIN THE PERFECT ENDING" interactive drivel.

Quick time events

etc

These need to disappear forever. I can't count how many times I died on my first playthrough of Bayonetta because I wasn't ready to press a button during a random cutscene to not die.

Kill them. Kill them with fire.

I don't remember anything like that in X-2...

Resident Evil 4 made me kill some annoying huge thingies because of that split second press or tab a button.

Mirage
08-05-2011, 12:48 AM
It was to get the perfect ending, tenbreaker. If you didn't do it, you wouldn't know that you didn't do it.

Roogle
08-05-2011, 10:34 PM
Maybe it is for the best that they stop releasing so much information about games on a regular basis. I think the way that it was done a decade or two ago was that they would get to a certain point in the development cycle and release a few screenshots to a magazine rather than releasing conceptual trailers and small demos publicly like how they do now.

Del Murder
08-06-2011, 03:01 AM
That's a good point.

Ouch!
08-09-2011, 10:23 PM
The only problem is that the industry has moved towards an opposite standard where developers are expected to keep their fanbase in the know during the development cycle. Maybe if SE opened themselves to more interaction with the people who play their games, they'd be less surprised when games like FFXIII and FFXIV meet less enthusiasm than they expected.

This is an age where going only a few months without news causes people to start to worry that a title is vaporware. Square Enix is clinging to archaic pre-internet industry standards for dissemination of information about their products.