PDA

View Full Version : The ONLY thing I hate about Twilight.

MJN SEIFER
07-30-2011, 01:25 AM
Is that because of the fact that everyone seems to hate it, you're no longer allowed to use the word "twilight" in anything these days. "Twilight" is an accepted word used to describe the time of day, associated with dusk and sunset, so it is often quite a good word to use if your writing/drawing something that you feel would go with that description, but you can't use it anymore without haters of the Twilight franchise thinking you're a fan and turning on you and your whole storyline - do they really not realize that the word "twilight" has been used elsewhere before, and is still used? Video games have had stages named after it, it is mentioned in song lyrics, it even had its own zone, at one point. All of these came before that Twilight. So why do we have to avoid using the word?

I have no opinion on Twilight itself, I haven't seen any of them yet, and when I finally do I will reserve my opinion, and if I hate it, I will hate it for my opinion only and not to be some stuck up Bieber hater, who hates things purely because it's a fad to hate things. Likewise, if I like it, I will like it, but on the other hand, I may go through life never even bothering, but I doubt it, either way, it is my opinion - I will not like things because it's cool to like them, I will not hate things because it's cool to hate them. There you go.

Pike
07-30-2011, 02:20 AM
When I hear "Twilight" I think of ponies. I'm okay with this.

demondude
07-30-2011, 03:32 AM
Twilight made pale people like me attractive to the mainstream, so that's one good thing. Apart from that I don't really care because it's just mediocre literature.

NorthernChaosGod
08-01-2011, 09:48 AM
I hate what Twilight did to vampires and werewolves. They used to be cool.

Mirage
08-01-2011, 02:55 PM
In the land of twilight, under the moon
we dance for the idiots

ring-around-the-roses, jump to the moon
we sing with the castanets

Jessweeee♪
08-01-2011, 03:53 PM
It's only annoying when I have to explain what The Twilight Zone is :|

Pike
08-01-2011, 04:14 PM
I have no opinion on Twilight itself, I haven't seen any of them yet, and when I finally do I will reserve my opinion, and if I hate it, I will hate it for my opinion only and not to be some stuck up Bieber hater, who hates things purely because it's a fad to hate things. Likewise, if I like it, I will like it, but on the other hand, I may go through life never even bothering, but I doubt it, either way, it is my opinion - I will not like things because it's cool to like them, I will not hate things because it's cool to hate them. There you go.

I respect this a lot. I have never read Twilight so I feel uncomfortable making sweeping generalizations about the story/writing/whatnot. I don't even buy the "but it's about sparkly vampires and creepy boyfriends, you don't have to read it to know it sucks!" argument, because you could pick the worst parts from a lot of books I like and and write a similar synopsis and it would come out sounding just as cheesy.

I'm not defending the book, nor am I saying it shouldn't be criticized if it really is as bad as people say. I just don't understand a lot of the really gratuitous hatred from people who have never read it. I might just be extra sensitive because I do a lot of writing myself, though, and I'd like to think people wouldn't write off something I'd written based solely on what they'd heard about it. :holmes:

Jessweeee♪
08-01-2011, 04:57 PM
Pssst, most of them did read it but won't admit it.

(Like me!)

Pike
08-01-2011, 05:04 PM
Pssst, most of them did read it but won't admit it.

(Like me!)

I know a lot of people who read it... about half of them didn't like it, the other half liked it and doesn't want to admit it unless really pressed. xD

blackmage_nuke
08-02-2011, 12:31 AM
Twilight town was my favourite world in KH2. And I also liked the word twilight before it became associated with vampires and such and have often times expressed my displeasure at it's new meaning.

Pumpkin
08-02-2011, 04:15 PM
I read the books and liked them
Saw the first movie and hated it. Didn't watch any more.

What upsets me is how many awards they win FOR NOTHING. Just cuz they're hot and got some fan girls and whatnot. The acting was absolutely terrible.

Laddy
08-02-2011, 05:31 PM
It's shallow and I hate it. It really is pretty dreadful.

It's not so much that's it's particularly bad, though. It is, but not so much more than so many other young adult novels and movies. It's that such mediocrity is so praised and so ridiculously overexposed. It just seems like a lot of kids finally picked up a book all the sudden.

NorthernChaosGod
08-02-2011, 08:04 PM
I read the books and liked them
Saw the first movie and hated it. Didn't watch any more.

What upsets me is how many awards they win FOR NOTHING. Just cuz they're hot and got some fan girls and whatnot. The acting was absolutely terrible.
At least the first movie managed to cut out like half the text by eliminating purple prose.

dambaz
08-10-2011, 07:07 PM
hated twlight best vampire film of all was interview with the vampire brilliant film twlight was all hype like a lot of things these days no offence of course to people who like it

Mercen-X
08-10-2011, 08:34 PM
To-why-lie-it...

I'm not a fan of Twilight. I haven't ever read the books, but I've watched each of the movies (my gf dragged me to the first and second one). The first one wasn't very interesting and my gf excused it for being a chopped version of the book and even complained it didn't really live up to her standards. The second one introduced us to Jacob and the Werewolves. The werewolves are epically more appealing that the vampires. They're simply blessed with more positive attributes: well-built, they don't sparkle, they're not cold-blooded, they don't eat people...
So I didn't need much encouragement to watch the third movie whose war scene I found very exciting. I'm a sucker for the uneasy alliance storyline and watching mortal enemies fight side-by-side against a common threat.

As for the name, I've always been confused by the author's choice of the Twilight theme. It still doesn't make much sense to me. I'm sure she had her reasons and has explained it before, but to me it just doesn't fit properly, and if she really has had to explain the Twilight theme, maybe it really was just a poorly chosen title and theme.

Any film or tv show associated with "vampires who love" will always strike me as a chick-flick gaymance. Vampires are monsters. Dracula was a vampire... a real vampire is a monster. Vampires crave to prolong their immortality while werewolves have most often been depicted as victims happy to be rid of their curse upon their deaths.
But as long as there are some gory twists and action sequences, I'll partake.

MJN: How many people have ostracized you for using the word "Twilight?" While it's true that I once considered the possibility that I am in reality surrounded by turd-flinging morons, I have to doubt that so many people would have been alienated from your creations simply because you used the word Twilight.

EDIT: I find myself jealous of Jacob/Taylor Lautner much the same way I'm jealous of some of my male cousins. We all share a fairly "tropical" background Asian/Native/Hawaiian/Latino what-have-you, but I feel like I'm the odd duck that developed into a pale, scrawny, wannabe-German mutt. Then again, I also find myself jealous of Ro Pattinson's looks (at least onscreen, wtf's up with the mess he becomes in public), despite the fact that my girlfriend really dislikes him as Edward (she had imagined Edward sharing the face of a crush she had in high school and never let it go). TMI, yes.

MJN SEIFER
08-15-2011, 11:33 PM
As for the name, I've always been confused by the author's choice of the Twilight theme. It still doesn't make much sense to me. I'm sure she had her reasons and has explained it before, but to me it just doesn't fit properly, and if she really has had to explain the Twilight theme, maybe it really was just a poorly chosen title and theme. There's a comercial on it now which says things like "Between Light and Dark", "Between Good and Evil", "Between Life and Death" so maybe that's it.

MJN: How many people have ostracized you for using the word "Twilight?" While it's true that I once considered the possibility that I am in reality surrounded by turd-flinging morons, I have to doubt that so many people would have been alienated from your creations simply because you used the word Twilight.
I haven't used "Twilight" in anything yet, but I have seen it happen to other people ("I closed this as soon as I saw"Twilight"!" "Do have to see the word "Twilight" everwhere I go?"). If the word seemed relevant I would be tempt to use it though.