PDA

View Full Version : Ever play any games in a language you don't understand?

KentaRawr!
07-31-2011, 06:50 PM
Right now I'm playing Chrono Trigger in French. It's kinda fun. It's almost like the reason Crono doesn't speak is because he doesn't know what anyone's saying.

So, have you ever played a game in a language you don't understand?

edczxcvbnm
07-31-2011, 07:42 PM
I have but it was mostly fighting games where it is basically guessing what button does what and then rolling with it. RPGs are another story. They want you to go someplace and do something and that is a guessing game too big for me to attempt. Sometimes you just need to talk to someone specific to advance the story even though you know what to do. You are quite brave to attempt an RPG in a language you don't understand...even though you know what to do >.>

KentaRawr!
07-31-2011, 11:42 PM
I'm trying to learn a bit of French, and I thought, "Well why not? It might help a bit. :p"

Je suis Kentarou! Je vais rugir! Rawrrrr

Polnareff
08-01-2011, 01:50 AM
Considering the majority of games I've owned are Japanese imports, yes-- though over the past 10 years or so I'm starting to really be able to read dialogue in, say, an RPG.

Hearing people speak in Japanese is tougher to decipher because I have auditory processing disorder. :cry:

Caelheim
08-01-2011, 03:21 PM
It's not something I've ever tried, nor something I plan to do. As much as I'd love to learn another language, I play games for the story for the most part and not being able to understand what is going on would simply irritate me to no end. I have watched a couple of foreign movies without subtitles, though.

demondude
08-01-2011, 03:25 PM
I'm going to play Assassin's Creed in Italian in preparation for my holiday to Italy.

black orb
08-02-2011, 01:29 AM
>>> I beat Namco x Capcom like 10 times..:luca:

I was playing Tales of Rebirth too but the PS2 died.. :(

Wolf Kanno
08-02-2011, 03:52 AM
Just a few, but I never get very far I'm afraid. Shin Megami Tensei and a Sailor Mooon RPG are ones I fondly remember. I actually own a Japanese copy of a few games as well, but due to them all being on region locked systems, I can't really play them. I remember playing the Chinese pirated version of Capcom Vs. SNK before it saw release in the U.S.

Pike
08-02-2011, 05:31 AM
I have not, and I imagine it would drive me nuts if I tried to. I've tried to read one or two foreign books before in conjunction with whatever language course I was taking at the time-- I'd have the book in one hand, and a translation guide in the other-- and yeah, that only ever lasted about two minutes tops.

Araciel
08-02-2011, 07:22 AM
Tried to cause it was River City Ransom 2 but couldn't get past a very early part of the game :(

Loony BoB
08-02-2011, 12:12 PM
I haven't and I wouldn't.

Pumpkin
08-02-2011, 04:09 PM
Right now I'm playing Chrono Trigger in French.

Wanna send me the script, I can translate for you

KentaRawr!
08-03-2011, 07:45 PM
Right now I'm playing Chrono Trigger in French.

Wanna send me the script, I can translate for you

That's okay! =)

Shattered Dreamer
08-03-2011, 07:58 PM
I tried playing one of the old Dragon Quest games in Japanese but as you can imagine that got old pretty quick

Agent Proto
08-03-2011, 10:03 PM
No, not really. I imagine if the game were text heavy, like RPGs, I wouldn't get very far, because I'd have difficulty trying to figure out what was being said. Now, if it were a fighting game, I wouldn't mind it so much. And I'm sure playing Chrono Trigger in French would be pretty easy for you, since you already finished the game in English, haven't you Kentarou? :p

DMKA
08-04-2011, 12:12 AM
Rival Schools and some DBZ RPG for SNES.

Aside of that, nah. Since most of the games I play I keep playing because of the story and characters, the idea of not being able to understand any of it is hardly appealing.

Nifleheim7
08-15-2011, 10:15 PM
2 games.
Boku no Natsu Yasumi 3: Summer Holidays 20th Century.I bought this because its Japanese are simple and it helped me for learning as well as for being a laid-back relaxed kinda game.
The other one was Initial D extreme stage.I was a big fan of the anime so i really had to get this.:D

Rostum
08-16-2011, 12:14 AM
Only when I was younger and my dad bought home a "112 games in one" NES cartridge from Singapore (had to get my NES modded too!).

nirojan
08-16-2011, 01:28 AM
Japanese and Korean games...all the time. I play some Korean MMO's in Beta and ever since I got my Japanese PSN account, I've been able to download some real gems off their PS store (which is godly compared to the American store).