PDA

View Full Version : [Art] Draw Me A "Transformer", please

Mercen-X
08-03-2011, 02:37 AM
Okay, maybe this is no longer an acceptable form of request, but I don't want to look up every artist on these forums individually, so...

I'm looking for an artist who can draw giant robots in the vein of Transformers, Gundam SEED, Code Geass, etc.

I know there are a few artists here: black orb is usually extremely busy, but even if he wasn't, he wouldn't be my first pic -->. Attribute that to fan bias since I've become a rabid proponent of Jirito's character artwork. Unfortunately, I don't know if Jeet'd be able to draw giant robots.

I'm fairly particular and I want the machine to lean toward realistic rather than gratuitous. I envision a sword-wielding red/black/white transformer with pauldrons and some kind of armorskirt. Like a mobile suit, it should be kind of dense in the arm and leg areas with a broad chestplate. The lower part of the leg should begin to thin a bit as it connects to the foot. The head should be a fierce, commanding, & mysterious mask.
The machine is meant to take an additional form: a train-like flying serpent that looks somewhat like a horse... as weird as that may sound...

Any volunteers..?

BG-57
08-23-2011, 02:11 PM
I'll have a go. I'm a fan of mecha.

EDIT: Here's the line art. I wasn't sure how to add the train elements, but otherwise I think it came out okay.

Freya
08-23-2011, 09:38 PM
Oh man I hella suck at mechs sooooo.......... sorry xD

demondude
08-23-2011, 09:55 PM
It's sideways for aesthetic purposes.

http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/45/prototypec.jpg

BG-57
08-23-2011, 10:36 PM
Like the flower print apron and the chaps. :D

Mercen-X
08-28-2011, 11:37 PM
demondude: wow... just wow... 10 thumbs

... Way down. didn't even TRY to make it look robotic... wow.

Beej: well-executed. It sure as hell looks a lot better than that time you tried to interpret my idea for making the FF7 WEAPONs into Knights.
.I feel I maybe got a bit greedy with the train aspect... maybe.

BG-57
08-29-2011, 03:11 PM
Beej: well-executed. It sure as hell looks a lot better than that time you tried to interpret my idea for making the FF7 WEAPONs into Knights.

Well, I'm glad it sucks less then. :p

I was thinking of bone white for the lower arms and shins, crimson red for the scales, and 80% (very dark) cool grey for the armor plates. I wanted to hold off coloring until you saw the line art though.

About all I could think of was headlamps for eyes and rivets on the armor to resemble boilerplate. I have drawn steampunk mecha but they didn't have an animal alt mode, so it felt like too much this time.

demondude
08-29-2011, 03:26 PM
Why do you have ten thumbs?

BG-57
08-30-2011, 08:49 PM
I thought your picture was funny.

rubah
08-31-2011, 07:15 AM
you might get more responses if you weren't so socially insensitive. Geez, telling a guy that you have a new favorite? And telling someone else that something they did a long time ago really sucked?

You're lucky even dd drew you anything ;)

demondude
08-31-2011, 02:43 PM
I'm actually really upset.

Jiro
08-31-2011, 02:59 PM
You've come a long way with your artwork lately dd, I'm proud of you.

Mercen-X
09-01-2011, 08:56 PM

Well, I'm glad it sucks less then.I call you on "verbal face-rape." (i.e. putting words in my mouth.) I never said your picture sucked. All I said was that this picture was better. Being able to interpret someone's thoughts onto paper is no easy task but your illustration was a lot closer this time to what I had in my head.

I was thinking of bone white for the lower arms and shins, crimson red for the scales, and 80% (very dark) cool grey for the armor plates. I wanted to hold off coloring until you saw the line art though.

About all I could think of was headlamps for eyes and rivets on the armor to resemble boilerplate. I have drawn steampunk mecha but they didn't have an animal alt mode, so it felt like too much this time.
The colors sound good, but good call on avoiding the headlamps. I've never been a fan of robots that actually look like they've been manufactured by human hands. I like robots that actually kind of look like life-forms or (as stated above) like suits of armor.

Why do you have ten thumbs?
You caused me to mutate. I no longer have any fingers. Thanks.

RUBAH: I never said I have a "new favorite". That would imply having an old favorite. I think my bias is more based on the fact that I actually get a lot of time out of Jeet, despite whatever else may have going on.
My girlfriend complained that I was insensitive too. But, then again, she was crybaby.

BG-57
09-02-2011, 02:36 AM
I would still contend that to call my present work a hell of a lot better implies that my previous effort was a hell of a lot worse, which in point of fact it may have well been. At any rate it hardly sounded like a vote of confidence. I know now you didn't mean it as such but it sounded like you were suggesting that it was bad. That did pain me, but I was trying to gently make light of it with humor.

I understand what you're getting at and to say it's closer to what you had in mind is a better way to put it. It's better not to ruffle the feathers of those who are essentially doing you a favor. At any rate I've worked with you enough to know you wouldn't mean things maliciously.

I've colored in the mecha but not the backgrounds. The progress has been slowed to glacial speed due to the local power outages. I'll get it done before the weekend is out.

EDIT: Here's what I have so far. I wanted to try to approximate a flesh and bone color scheme to emphasize that it's an organic machine.

Hollycat
09-02-2011, 03:17 AM
mercen-x, my old art teacher was the man in charge of drawing up the new transformers in the movie that just came out. would you like me to ask him to draw you one?

BG-57
09-03-2011, 02:39 PM
Done. Hope you like them.

Christmas
09-04-2011, 05:49 AM
Done. Hope you like them.

I dun know about Mercen X, but I like your drawings! Anything with effort put into it is alway nice!! Good drawings!!! Keep them coming!!! :bigsmile:

BG-57
09-04-2011, 01:45 PM
Thanks. :)

Mercen-X
09-10-2011, 09:38 PM
Great! Very impressive.

mercen-x, my old art teacher was the man in charge of drawing up the new transformers in the movie that just came out. would you like me to ask him to draw you one?

Yeah... I'd be paying off that debt for the next 60 years. Wait... which movie?

Hollycat
09-10-2011, 10:00 PM
I didnt see it, but i think it was called dark of the moon

Mercen-X
09-14-2011, 08:38 PM
I didnt see it, but i think it was called dark of the moon

A better name than the "Dark Knight Rises"... fools weren't even trying to sound creative.

Anyway, I was being sarcastic because I don't think a guy who did art for a hit film would want to submit a piece just for lil' ol' me.

Hollycat
09-14-2011, 08:59 PM
He might though, do you want me to ask or not?

Mercen-X
09-21-2011, 02:58 AM
Knock yerself out!

Hey, check this out. I took a picture I found of a robot from a videogame in a magazine and hacked it into pieces. Then I reassembled it into something...

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a156/Mercen-X/BuildingJeanne7f.jpg

And, no, I wasn't trying to make it look like it could transform into a dragon.