PDA

View Full Version : I... I think I just lost a loved one...

Wolf Kanno
08-09-2011, 04:33 AM
Not the kind of news I like to see. (http://www.siliconera.com/2011/08/08/suikoden-team-disbanded-tri-ace-hired-because-they-have-rpg-know-how/) :cry:

Suikoden was one of my favorite RPGs back in the day and while it suffered a blow from the creator leaving, I still kind of hoped Konami would try again, but I guess that isn't going to happen too soon.

DMKA
08-09-2011, 04:19 PM
I tried to play Suikoden II back in like 2004 because people kept praising it here and man was it boring. I couldn't get more than an hour into it. I never tried any of the others.

Perhaps I'll give it another shot after I'm done with FFVI.

Del Murder
08-09-2011, 04:29 PM
Yeah I tried to find SII after all the hype it got here but it was like 70 bucks on eBay so I said screw that.

Madame Adequate
08-09-2011, 06:12 PM
At least they went out on form. Imagine if IV had been the last one.

Raistlin
08-09-2011, 06:49 PM
I heard about that recently and have cried myself to sleep ever since. Suikoden remains the best RPG series out there.

Yeah I tried to find SII after all the hype it got here but it was like 70 bucks on eBay so I said screw that.

I do not suggest any first-time player spending the money (usually $80 or more) to buy the game. You should use an emulator first. Even then, I might not buy it again today. I bought my copy years before the major price jump.

Araciel
08-09-2011, 06:57 PM
I have my collection nestled away both on disc/cartridge (for Trikreis) AND on hard drive... I think I may replay 3 which is my favourite now in remembrance.

Del Murder
08-09-2011, 10:39 PM
I'll buy it if it ever gets released for PSN, but not before.

Araciel
08-09-2011, 11:19 PM
The trick was to buy them when they were sixty bucks or less each - I still remember seeing the preview of SK1 in an old issue of EGM and saying I NEED THIS GAME.

black orb
08-10-2011, 10:48 PM
>>> Is not like the series ended forever right?
I can wait, a lot.. I dont mind.. :luca:

Roogle
08-10-2011, 10:55 PM
I knew that the Suikoden series would never be the same after its creator left around the time of the release of Suikoden III.

I believe there was a rumor that said that he left mid-development which would have affected the abrupt change of pace in the later parts of the game. I think it was only a rumor, but there certainly is a difference in the Suikoden games from around that time onwards, and I lost most of my interest in the series when I realized that there was no large direction for the world or the plot.

For example, mysteries across the series such as the true natures of Jeane and Viki will never be addressed unless the series is brought back somehow at a later time.

BG-57
08-11-2011, 12:28 AM
I was lucky to get most of the series as they came out (the only copy I bought used was III). It's the most fun to play them in order as you can maximize the carryover bonuses, some of which are like suddenly importing T.G. Cid into your game. Also the overarching storyline enrichs each game in the series although they can all stand alone.

I knew that Tierkris was a bad move, since:

A) It was on a completely different platform than the rest of the series: PSX-> PS2 -> DS???

B) Other than 108 characters, it had almost nothing to do with the previous games.

The other problem was making a direct sequel Tactics to IV, which was one of the less popular in the series. I happen to like both but I'm the minority here.

Wolf Kanno
08-11-2011, 01:18 AM
I didn't hate IV, it was just underwhelming, I finally picked up Suikoden Tactics, I should get to work on that. Honestly, I felt IV and V did a decent job of keeping the connections with the other games going. The Scarlet Moon Empire was the "big white elephant" in the room for most of Suikoden IV's plot and both SME and Harmonia have decent roles in Suikoden V.

I've yet to really play Tiekresis, since it came off as a reboot to me, and I'm sad cause the article makes it sound like any future Suikoden will be based off that. The real draw of the game was its political storylines and there connection to each other, dropping a title that deals with parallel worlds and guts out almost every element that made Suikoden different from other JRPGs seemed like a bad move to me.

The series might as well be dead.

BG-57
08-11-2011, 03:03 AM
I liked the nautical theme along with the Lazlo/Snowe story arc in IV.

Tactics was fun, but it helps if you like the idea of playing a tactical game with a lot of IV characters in addition to new characters. It also helps if you want to learn more about the Kooluk Empire. Lazlo and Snowe are the carryover characters and the former has the equivalent of the nuclear option with his Rune of Punishment. It is weird to see him actually talk.

I recruited about a dozen characters in Tierkris so far and got the castle. I have to say I'd enjoy it a lot more if it wasn't a Suikoden game. It would make a decent if unmemorable stand alone title.

Pumpkin
08-11-2011, 06:59 PM
I liked I through V. I did pay alot of money for II and I don't regret it. III was my favorite as I had a vid crush on the bad guy.

I would like their to be more as there are many unresolved issues with Viki, Jeane and even Leknaat I would like to find out more about.