PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading RAM on my laptop

Spawn of Sephiroth
08-11-2011, 06:26 PM
Ok, so I am wanting to upgrade the RAM on my laptop. I have a Compaq Presario V6000. I've had it for a little over 4 years, and it still has the stock 1 GM RAM. I want to upgrade to a 2 GB RAM so is there a certain RAM stick I need to buy or will any work. Also, my computer has two half gig sticks in it so do I need to get two 1 GM or will a single 2 GB work?

Citizen Bleys
08-12-2011, 03:59 AM
You'll need the same type of SO-DIMM as you have now, but in larger capacity; Notebooks all come with 2 RAM slots, both filled, so that when you upgrade your RAM, you have to throw out the old stuff :( You can use a single stick of RAM if you want, dual-channel does not, to my knowledge, exist for notebooks.

Per HP, you're rocking DDR2 @ 667 MHz, so it should be pretty easy to find more of the same. The clock speed can be higher if you want--the computer doesn't support more than 2 GB, so the rule about the RAM operating at the speed of the slowest SO-DIMM goes out the window; If you put a 2-gigger in there, you can't put the 512 in as well. If you do, the system may only recognize the 512-megger. Hence, if it's cheaper to get 2x1GB than 1x2GB, go that route, at the fastest clock speed your budget allows.

It's actually quite ironic--about the same time you posted this thread, I was trying to get rid of 2 1GB sticks.

Spawn of Sephiroth
08-12-2011, 04:30 AM
Ok so when I do it I will lose all my stuff on my laptop?

CimminyCricket
08-12-2011, 04:39 AM
No, you won't lose anything.

Citizen Bleys
08-12-2011, 05:14 AM
RAM is volatile storage, 'tis cleared every time you reboot or power down. You're thinking of your hard drive.

Spawn of Sephiroth
08-12-2011, 06:01 AM
Ok thanks for the help guys

crono_logical
08-14-2011, 10:50 AM
It's actually quite ironic--about the same time you posted this thread, I was trying to get rid of 2 1GB sticks.What a coincidence, I just did that too, got rid of 2x1G for 2x2G :p (Shame only 3GB is actually supported though on this particular model)

Mirage
08-17-2011, 09:46 AM
Some newer laptops do actually support dualchannel. Don't ask me which ones, though.