PDA

View Full Version : Omnislash and Gold Chocobo

Super Sepiroth
08-15-2011, 12:19 AM
On whats probably about my 10th playthrough now, and I want to see if its worth doing things properly. I normally gamesharked in the 4 materia from the caves and Omnislash just because I don't have the concentration to spend a long time going through the motions getting them, thats why I don't spend much time levelling up, just hate repetitiveness.

My questions are these:

A) Can you breed a Gold Chocobo without racing them, and if so whats the difference in odds getting one compared to racing them? (I once managed to get all the way to black Chocobo without breeding it was always just that last stage that I couldn't get past)

B) Roughly how many hours does it take to 1) race each Chocobo to S class and 2) Roughly how long does it take to get the 32,000 BP needed for Omnislash

Thanks in advance for the help

SS

FFIX Choco Boy
08-15-2011, 02:11 AM
Getting Omnislash usually only takes about a half hour, and all the breeding/racing without battle times in between is around 2 hours, so it's not bad at all. However, you do need to battle between breeding sessions because you can't breed chocobos that either just mated or were just born. I'm not sure how long you need to wait/battle, though.

Wolf Kanno
08-15-2011, 04:32 AM
Getting the BP is mostly a question of how lucky you are when you receive penalties between rounds in the arena. If you get a Break All Materia type right off the bat, you have a chance of getting some really good BP from winning. Basically you'll want mean penalties like losing the ability to use certain types of materia, having your weapon/armor broken, having your MAX HP/MP reduced drastically, and getting level downs, and you'll want these penalties as early as possible in the rounds. It doesn't take long to get the BP needed to get W-Summon, let alone Omnislash, unless you're attempting to do this in disc 1, in which levels/equipment might be an issue.

It is possible to breed a special chocobo without racing them, but the chances of getting them are so statistically low, that in the time you soft rest/load and got one, you could have probably gotten both parents and child Chocobo to S class. Racing them doesn't take very long. Just use the short races, and make sure to drop 50+ of the best grade Greens into the chocobos to raise heir stats. The special Chocobos are generally really strong in their racing stats, so getting them to S rank is a breeze. You just need to watch out for the Rider with the Black Chocobo.

Super Sepiroth
08-15-2011, 04:48 PM
ahh thats good then. thanks. as I say I hate repetitiveness. I WAS playing it on my ps3, but within the last few minuites I've hit a snag. Been fighting Ultimate Weapon in Mideel and it sorta crashed when it was using Ultima Beam.

So I'm currently downloading an ISO of disc 2 to use in ePSXe and copying my save file across as I don't know if its my disc or my ps3 (which isn't illegal as I already own the disc before anyone starts on me :p)

I'll let you know how I get on once this damn thing downloads :)

SS

Wolf Kanno
08-15-2011, 06:18 PM
It may be your PS3. The backwards compatibility on the thing isn't so great. I tried playing BoF4 and couldn't get past the first boss fight cause the game would freeze during some of the attacks. From what a few friends have told me, it seems the compatibility suffers from some debilitating wear and tear in time. Playing PS3 games will be fine though.

FFIX Choco Boy
08-15-2011, 08:48 PM
Remember your W-Item dupe trick, though! Just buy 1 Sylkis Green from the Chocobo Sage, and duplicate to get 99 of them from versing the pacifist turtles on Wutai beach. You save loads of money.

Super Sepiroth
08-16-2011, 01:47 AM
Thanks for the tip but I've not gone back to Midgar yet.

I've got a Blue and Green at the mo, I raced them to B class.

Just a bit annoyed I've just noticed a video by a bloke called BrutalAl and he gets each one he needs first time by manipulating the random number generator, that bar-steward haha

FFIX Choco Boy
08-16-2011, 02:04 AM
Oh hell yeah he does. Lots of people play the game that way. Getting 99 Zodiac Spear in a week on XII, whatever chocobo you want on VII, perfect card games on VIII and IX, whatever they want. It's annoying though.

Mercen-X
08-17-2011, 07:10 PM
Getting the BP is mostly a question of how lucky you are when you receive penalties between rounds in the arena. If you get a Break All Materia type right off the bat, you have a chance of getting some really good BP from winning. Basically you'll want mean penalties like losing the ability to use certain types of materia, having your weapon/armor broken, having your MAX HP/MP reduced drastically, and getting level downs, and you'll want these penalties as early as possible in the rounds. It doesn't take long to get the BP needed to get W-Summon, let alone Omnislash, unless you're attempting to do this in disc 1, in which levels/equipment might be an issue.
Damn! I have a list on my home computer that I compiled of all the possible points you could get from during the course of a tournament. It's not just about the penalties though, you get slightly different amounts of BP depending on which monster you're fighting. I know that penalties like Poison, Mini, Toad, Lvl Dn 5 are pretty much worthless and should be avoided. I believe breaking armor doesn't stack your defense loss but it does stack your points. Breaking your weapon does stack your attack loss though. Breaking your accessory is also not really worth much. Cure and Lucky 7 are absolute zilch. Personally, I think X30 Damage is worthwhile if you know how much damage you're going to take and can heal quickly before the monster attacks. It's worth points, but may leave you with just 1 HP so it's a bit of a gamble.

Super Sepiroth
08-21-2011, 02:01 AM
Haha I did it!

14 Years in the waiting
30 Hours in the making
42 goes at the racing

and I finally have Goldie! (and KOTR in my back pocket haha)

So all in all I reckon it took me 2-3 hours, took longer than estimated because I needed time to master my All materia to sell.
Thanks for the help guys, next stop Ancient Forest, and then Omnislash :D

SS