PDA

View Full Version : I did it again

CimminyCricket
08-16-2011, 05:05 AM
I've done something to my forum and it is beyond my skill to fix. :C Help!

Because I didn't want to cough up the dough to upgrade to 4, I'm still running on vB 3.8.x and today, I installed two new products to give my posters something to do. The first was a shop where posters could buy stuff with the points they earn through posting. The second, was an activity program where by posting and making threads you get points and you can set the amount of points someone gets for each action they do.

Before I installed them I looked to see if they were compatable with my version (since a lot of the people at vbulletin.org seem to have upgraded) and they were. I also read through to see if they were compatible with each other, which they seemed to be. 'Compatible with most other vB addons' and they're both from the same developer.

After installed 'activity' the forum no longer loads, but instead shows a blank page. Nothing. Not even the admincp loads. I've gone through and deleted both installations and every file associated with them. That didn't work. So I went through and using an ftp client I reuploaded all the files in the upload folder, hoping that they would replace any corrupted files that may be preventing the forum from being displayed. Nothing has worked so far, and I'm in that panic omfgwtfdididothistime?! mode.

If any one has any ideas for me I'd super duper appreciate it.

Edit: The shop worked fine and there were no problems with it, but as soon as I had uploaded the XML for the 'activity' everything stopped.

I even tried reinstalling it, but I'm afraid to remove the /forum subdirectory from the server and reupload everything that way, because I don't want to lose anything. I have a back up saved to my hdd, but I'm not sure how all that works.

Edit-2: I did submit a help ticket just in case no one here can help, but who knows how long it will take for a reply and I want to get this fixed soon.

CimminyCricket
08-16-2011, 08:17 AM
OK, so I'm not thinking it's anything that I can fix on my end. I created a new subdirectory for a new install, created a new database to store everything, successfully installed the forum and I get the same blank page at the link. I can access the log in for the admincp in forum2, which i couldn't do in forum1, but I can't log in either. The login page stays white and never loads either.

I'm at a complete loss. And when the customer support finally got back to me, they did nothing but tell me what I had already tried and told them i tried. So I reiterated what I had done and tried and have yet to get a response. D:

Rantz
08-16-2011, 08:40 AM
Do you have access to your forums database through PHPMyAdmin or similar?

If you know what ID # the Default style has on your forums, you can try going to yourforums.com/index.php?styleid=ID where "ID" is that ID #.

CimminyCricket
08-16-2011, 08:43 AM
I've tried that, too. I even went into myphpadmin and deleted the tables that were created by those two products and I'm still not getting anything. Even the newly installed forum isn't working. I didn't want to risk uninstalling vbulletin if that wasn't going to do anything, so I just gave the second forum it's own database separate from the first's. No change. White screen, everywhere.

The install/install.php is the only thing that doesn't give me a white screen.

Rantz
08-16-2011, 08:48 AM
There might be something wrong with the tables handling styles/templates and whatnot. You could try backing up those tables (I think style and template are the relevant ones, but you should see if there are more style-related tables too), do a clean install of vBulletin and copy over those tables from there.

Edit: Oh, and just to be sure - you know other users are experiencing this too, and it's not just you?

CimminyCricket
08-16-2011, 08:52 AM
I did a clean install that's what the forum2 to was. I downloaded vanilla vbulletin 3.8.4 patch 2 and installed it in a separate subdirectory than the other forums and gave it its own database separate from that of the first.

I HAVE SPENT THE LAST 200000000 HOURS TRYING TO FIX THIS

Rantz
08-16-2011, 09:15 AM
When you did a clean install did you use your old database or a fresh one?

Is there a way for you to contact another user or a few and find out if they have the same problems?

CimminyCricket
08-16-2011, 03:00 PM
Yeah, everyone is getting the same issue. No one is getting anything more than a white screen. I've tried on different computers and everything myself.

Rantz
08-16-2011, 03:16 PM
Sorry, I'm drawing a blank (ha). If you're doing a clean install on a clean database without duplicating your old tables and still getting the same problem, I'm out of ideas.

CimminyCricket
08-16-2011, 05:19 PM
It's OK :c) Even the people who handle support tickets are at a blank, I guess. They keep just giving me the same advice that I've told them I've already done. It's getting frustrating. >:\

CimminyCricket
08-16-2011, 06:06 PM
Well, I fixed it (sorta) I disabled all plugins using a script placed in the config file after I deleted the original directory where the forum was located and did a clean install there (same database). Now the new problem is that the plugin that caused the problem won't let me uninstall it (after I placed all those files back in to make it so I could). It says I'm missing a file that isn't present in the group that I had uploaded to the server.

Any ideas on how to uninstall a product that's missing the the install file?

Rantz
08-16-2011, 06:19 PM
Can you redownload it?

CimminyCricket
08-16-2011, 07:01 PM
I found it. The products I used are both by the same developer, but the 'activity' wasn't packaged like the first. the upload file for 'activity' included a file that was put inside itself. dbtech > dbtech > files.

I just had to upload the correct folder manually and now all is well!