PDA

View Full Version : Squenix has just REGISTERED a new trademark name...SQUARE?

Wolf Kanno
08-17-2011, 08:50 AM
Interesting piece of news I found (http://playstationlifestyle.net/2011/08/16/square-enix-might-be-aiming-for-a-new-image-with-square-trademark/).

So what are your thoughts on this peculiar move. Is this a misunderstanding? SE trying to revamp its image by dropping that annoying "Enix" that reminds people of the merger? pr something no one even thought about?

Jessweeee♪
08-17-2011, 02:47 PM
It seems to me like they've been giving a lot of consideration about pr lately.

Bolivar
08-17-2011, 02:54 PM
many blame the merge for the decline of both Final Fantasy and RPGs in general. from the article, crazy, just crazy.

I'm interested if there's similar trade name registration filing in Japan and EU. If this is only in the US I'm not sure why... Also it just seems like it kinda lowers the companies prestige a little. It's Square AND Enix, Final Fantasy AND Dragon Quest, two legacies, two flagships, both under one roof.

Also FYI since we're getting technical with the US PTO, you don't "Patent" a Trademark, you register it. You Patent an invention that's new, useful, and non-obvious.

Mercen-X
08-17-2011, 07:22 PM
So, like, does this mean I'm gonna get sued each time I use the word SQUARE!
Damn it! It's such a popular word in my vocabulary!

Depression Moon
08-17-2011, 10:33 PM
Could this infer that the Square is separating with Enix?

Wolf Kanno
08-18-2011, 03:43 AM
Doubtful, from my understanding, Enix is the controlling majority in terms of shares in the company. Course things could have changed, but I feel this is a PR re-imaging stunt.

Jiro
08-18-2011, 03:44 AM
They're gonna have to do all new logos and shit. Gosh, too much effort.

Del Murder
08-18-2011, 04:04 AM
Maybe they are just releasing a game called Square. It's for PS3 and all it is is pressing the Square button over and over between various cutscenes.

Slothy
08-18-2011, 04:17 AM
Switching it up from the X button are they? This is the kind of innovation that made them legends of the 16 and 32-bit eras. :D

Bolivar
08-18-2011, 02:32 PM
So, like, does this mean I'm gonna get sued each time I use the word SQUARE!
Damn it! It's such a popular word in my vocabulary!

Only if you commercially exploit the word in relation to video games, unless of course you're a journalist or something using it for commentary, criticism, or parody :)

Could this infer that the Square is separating with Enix?

Doubtful, from my understanding, Enix is the controlling majority in terms of shares in the company. Course things could have changed, but I feel this is a PR re-imaging stunt.

That's true, the merger was seen as an acquisition in fact by Enix of Square. But think about it. Enix always had a smaller operation and less international ambitions. What if after the last decade of big business, the huge acquisitions, and franchises within franchises, Enix thinks it's time to cut their losses and going back to just being a publisher? The financial problems at SE are really bad right now if you guys remember the news/thread of their last quarterly report, TONS of investors are backing out, why wouldn't Enix?

Switching it up from the X button are they? This is the kind of innovation that made them legends of the 16 and 32-bit eras.

:eek:

Wolf Kanno
08-20-2011, 05:17 AM
This is an interesting curve ball... (http://www.justpushstart.com/2011/08/19/square-enix-no-plans-to-re-brand-or-change-the-name/)

So if this isn't name re-branding, then perhaps a new project? I'm wondering it might pertain to a collections type game. :confused:

Bolivar
08-22-2011, 05:35 AM
I'd have to see more about the filing, but it could be that they've just renewed Square for older products that will already have it in some form or another, such as in the digital manual and credits on a PSOne Classic. That way when the credits say "Originally developed by Square" or whatever, it will actually mean something.

In any case this is a really odd event and I can't imagine it could be tied to some kind of new endeavor.

Wolf Kanno
08-22-2011, 09:51 AM
I don't know, if they were simply re-registering, I would think that would be obvious from the paperwork for the trademark. Either way, it will be interesting to see if i ever comes to anything.

Christmas
06-15-2022, 01:56 PM
Is Square gonna be like Blizzard? :(