PDA

View Full Version : Minecraft creator challenges Bethesda to Quake 3 Arena deathmatch

Slothy
08-18-2011, 03:14 AM
The Escapist : Forums : The News Room : Notch Challenges Bethesda to Lawsuit Deathmatch (http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.307524-Notch-Challenges-Bethesda-to-Lawsuit-Deathmatch?page=1)

For those not familiar with what's going on, Notch received a letter from the legal team at Bethesda saying that his company Mojang's new game called Scrolls infringes on the Elder Scrolls and they would pursue legal action if they didn't rename it. My feelings on this should be obvious to anyone who's ever read my post. If not it means I don't rant nearly enough around here.

But Notch responded with the most amazing solution imaginable: 3v3 deathmatch in Quake 3 Arena to settle the lawsuit. He win's the name stays. Bethesda wins, they'll change it to something else. Now obviously this won't happen, but I have to say I love his style. I do question the wisdom of challenging the company that owns the team that made Quake 3 to a game of Quake 3 to decide anything though. He probably should have gone with Counter-Strike or something. :D

NorthernChaosGod
08-18-2011, 04:17 AM
I just want to point out that the people that make the game aren't necessarily good at it. I've beaten Bungie employees at Halo before.

Also, that's badass. I hope they go for it.

nik0tine
08-18-2011, 06:46 AM
How the fuck does the name "scrolls" infringe on copyright? Bethesda doesn't own that word. What a joke. Looks like I'll be pirating Skyrim.

Pike
08-18-2011, 06:49 AM
I just want to point out that the people that make the game aren't necessarily good at it. I've beaten Bungie employees at Halo before.

I want details.

Also, I hope the Quake thing happens and I hope there's a livestream of it somewhere. Whoever loses, I win, because I'll be laughing like an idiot.

Slothy
08-18-2011, 12:32 PM
Frankly, I think the legal system would be greatly improved if more lawsuits were settled this way.

And I'm kind of with you Nik, though I'll probably just not buy Skyrim until I see where they go with this. There's no actual lawsuit yet, just a letter threatening legal action. While it's certainly stupid all on its own, there's been quite a bit of backlash against Bethesda from what I've seen so they may still wise up and just let it drop.

Too true, but since it's a 3v3 against anyone at their company, I'd imagine they must have one or two people who have at least played a lot of it and could carry a decent team. I think I still would have gone with neutral ground.

Bolivar
08-18-2011, 02:23 PM
How the fuck does the name "scrolls" infringe on copyright? Bethesda doesn't own that word. What a joke. Looks like I'll be pirating Skyrim.

It doesn't - copyright protects a work; trademark, as in this case, protects the right to exploit a name as a source-identifying label in a given market. Presumably Bethesda will argue the brand power and recognition of "The Elder Scrolls" within the video game industry is so huge that "Scrolls" would confuse consumers as to thinking it's a Bethesda game, and Mojang would unfairly benefit from that association.

Granted, it's a fairly weak assertion, we see tons of similarly named products in many industries, especially video games, and Scrolls on its own seems independent enough to differentiate itself from Bethesda's RPG series. Still, all you need is a precedent, and if they come up with enough factors (strength of the brand, similarity of the products, proximity of them, disparity in quality, sophistication of consumers) or even worse, conduct a survey finding in their favor, the case could be daunting enough to just settle. Most cases settle anyway and that's probably all Bethesda wants, especially given that "pile of cash up front" comment.

Personally, I think settling it over Quake is an amazing idea and I would love to write the Agreement for it. Bethesda's a big PC developer, they have to have at least THREE people in their entire studio who can play Quake. They even have id now, so maybe Mojang would let them use some ringers :)

Timekeeper
08-19-2011, 07:43 AM
From an advertising perspective I don't see why Bethesda don't jump on this opportunity. Of course there's backlash against Bethesda at the moment, as no one likes it when companies do crap like this, but settling it in a Quake style trial by battle would have such a positive effect, it'd be brilliant!

Del Murder
08-19-2011, 06:04 PM
All lawsuits should be settled this way.

Madame Adequate
08-19-2011, 08:15 PM
And if Julian has beaten someone at something, you know they're shitty!

NorthernChaosGod
08-19-2011, 10:33 PM
I will teabag you to death.

Madame Adequate
08-19-2011, 11:07 PM
:aimkiss:

NorthernChaosGod
08-20-2011, 12:30 AM
Yeah, that's what your face will be doing during.

Jiro
08-23-2011, 11:05 AM
I think it's a fabulous idea. I would love to settle all problems by deathmatch.