PDA

View Full Version : do you think we will ever get any new material to play with for ff9?

Marky Tee
08-20-2011, 09:06 AM
as in sequels prequels or spin offs/ hell even a psp port would be awesome

it is the best in the series after alll :)

Rostum
08-20-2011, 02:53 PM
Doubtful, however there is a PSP port already.

Loony BoB
08-20-2011, 03:29 PM
I think it could happen eventually. But if it does, it will be in the same way that FFIV etc. got sequels.

FFIV release date: 1991
FFIV: The After Years release date: 2008

So, a good 17 years. FFIX was released in 2000, so you're looking at around 2017. :p So... maybe in six years? Who knows!?

Depression Moon
08-20-2011, 05:16 PM
I'm sort of interested in a sequel to IX, but I'm not sure if the people today can make it well. I mean it's Final Fantasy IX. The sequel would have to have the most careful treatment in the world and have to be handled by Sakaguchi.

Wolf Kanno
08-20-2011, 06:47 PM
Its doubtful, IX is not exactly a success compared to its other PS1 brothers, not to mention its a game that was developed by some old time core FF team members who most of them left Square shortly after. As oppose to IV and VII which both still have some core members from the original games development still hanging around and still in love with the games.

Even if most of the original team was interested in doing another title, that hasn't stopped SE from not taking action, one look at the Chrono franchise is proof of that as three of the most important members of that franchise would jump at the chance to make a new game but SE still hasn't green lighted the project.

Carl the Llama
08-21-2011, 01:41 PM
I dont get you people... you say that when FFVII got all those spin offs ect, it was "milking the cow" and now you want the same company to give ffix the same treatment, ftr I have always been a fan of the spinoff's I have watched/played from FFVII and you will never hear me utter such complaints if every game got the same treatment, but it always makes me wonder why everyone puts so much hate out there for squeenix when it comes to spinoffs from FFVII.

Addendum: Every game that is released under the name Final Fantasy is "milking the cow" they are a games company in business solely to make money, don't ever think its otherwise.

Depression Moon
08-21-2011, 02:59 PM
What you just said sounded straight up foolish. No one said we wanted what VII got and to suggest there is no emotion behind anyone working in the company is insulting to its hard working employees.

Carl the Llama
08-21-2011, 03:12 PM
What you just said sounded straight up foolish. No one said we wanted what VII got and to suggest there is no emotion behind anyone working in the company is insulting to its hard working employees.

I am not insulting them, note you will see that I said I am happy with every spinoff that I have played/watched, but I know the reality is that the company is in business to make money, just the same as every other company world wide, and calling me foolish for seeing it as it is if you ask me, is a little naive, you remember that alot of the staff were highly surprised that FFXIV was released when it was, why? cause the big bosses wanted to make money. Of course the employee's will have pride in their work, but who pays the workers? the Big Bosses, why do the big bosses higher these people to work for them? to make money, thinking its anything other then that is foolish.

oh and asking for "sequels prequels or spin offs" is exactly asking for the same treatment as FFVII.

Think a little and read the other posts before you go making statements like that.

Wolf Kanno
08-21-2011, 06:37 PM
I never said I wanted it to get the VII treatment, I'm actually happy the game is overlooked and its main core team is a bit scattered cause I do feel the Compilation is pretty terrible, XII:RW was awful, and TAY was mostly irrelevant.

Course, there was a time when developers did look at their games as fun and creative projects and that was what was most important to the company(Mistwalker, Level 5, and the Persona Team are current Japanese examples). FF use to have that mentality with Square but Wada is as you said, he's not an artist, he's here for the bottomline. Considering how much corporate meddling has screwed over the last three FF entries, I can't say I would be happy to hear SE announce their doing some Compilation projects for my fave FF titles, cause I don't feel SE has the right mindset anymore to do those projects, and as my quote in my Sig states, it goes against the creator's idea of what FF is.

SE still has some great people aboard, Ito, Tokita, Nomura (amusingly enough), Minagawa, and Hashimoto. Course, half of these guys are in executive positions, and with the exception of Nomura, the others only get full creative control of their projects when its small, like with Tokita's cell phone titles. Sadly, I feel SE lost all of their more creative members back in the PS1 era, and early PS2. Sakaguchi, Uematsu, Kato, Mitsuda, Matsuno, Saga, and her husband Takahashi, just to name a few. I find it amusing that some of these people have recently released JRPGs that most journalist and Japanese gamers are saying, are bringing some life back to the genre.

Depression Moon
08-21-2011, 09:11 PM

I am not insulting them, note you will see that I said I am happy with every spinoff that I have played/watched, but I know the reality is that the company is in business to make money, just the same as every other company world wide, and calling me foolish for seeing it as it is if you ask me, is a little naive, you remember that alot of the staff were highly surprised that FFXIV was released when it was, why? cause the big bosses wanted to make money. Of course the employee's will have pride in their work, but who pays the workers? the Big Bosses, why do the big bosses higher these people to work for them? to make money, thinking its anything other then that is foolish.

oh and asking for "sequels prequels or spin offs" is exactly asking for the same treatment as FFVII.

Think a little and read the other posts before you go making statements like that.

So you're saying every person who has some power over the control of a company lack souls? That's some bull. These companies wouldn't even exist if someone didn't have the passion and dedication to build and run these companies. You can't generalize a whole group of people like that and like Wolf Kanno said wanting a sequel or spinoff to a previous game doesn't necessarily mean we want the same treatment as VII did, because I've had some experience with some of those projects and I never want to see something as crappy as Dirge of Cerberus or Advent Children again. No, just no.

Carl the Llama
08-22-2011, 01:36 AM
So you're saying every person who has some power over the control of a company lack souls? That's some bull. These companies wouldn't even exist if someone didn't have the passion and dedication to build and run these companies. You can't generalize a whole group of people like that and like Wolf Kanno said wanting a sequel or spinoff to a previous game doesn't necessarily mean we want the same treatment as VII did, because I've had some experience with some of those projects and I never want to see something as crappy as Dirge of Cerberus or Advent Children again. No, just no.

God damn, stop putting words in my mouth, make it as cheery as you like, there is no company in the whole world that does what they do purely for fun, yes, it may indeed be a motivator but the bottom line is to make money, put as many words into my mouth as you want thats the truth, its undeniable. FTR wanting to make money does not make one soulless, I want to make money, I am damn well sure you do to, are we soulless? no, we are not, are the big bosses at Squeenix soulless cause they want to make money? how do we know that they value? how do we know what their wants are or are not? The simple answer is we do not, but ask anyone "do you wish to make money" and the answer will always be a yes.

Oh an btw:
as in sequels prequels or spin offs/ hell even a psp port would be awesome

it is the best in the series after alll :)

Is exactly the same treatment that FFVII got.

Darth Cid
08-22-2011, 01:37 AM
FFIX is a favorite of mine, but I don't think it really needs a sequel or prequel, it stands well by itself.

Wolf Kanno
08-22-2011, 03:52 AM
People need to take a chill pill in this thread. Consider that a warning before the next person gets snippy with someone else. :colbert:

Rostum
08-22-2011, 07:13 AM
Addendum: Every game that is released under the name Final Fantasy is "milking the cow" they are a games company in business solely to make money, don't ever think its otherwise.

I'd just like to point out that every unique Final Fantasy game is a unique IP upon itself, so it's not really milking in the sense that some say prequels/sequels have milked.

I don't think FFIX really needs a sequel or prequel. It's fairly complete and offers enough closure. But if they did produce anything, I'd definitely be getting it.

Marky Tee
08-24-2011, 06:26 PM
i can't find any info on the PSP port...lil help anyone?

Jessweeee♪
08-24-2011, 08:01 PM
It's available for download on Playstation Network. For $9.99, I think. You can play PS1 Classics on PS3s and PSPs!

Rostum
08-24-2011, 10:44 PM
Yeah, you have to buy it through PSN. The one copy will work on both PSP and PS3.

Jiro
08-25-2011, 03:40 AM
With no Sakaguchi around, I don't think anything related to FFIX will ever see the light of day. Even if it did, it wouldn't be the same.

Hot Shot
08-30-2011, 03:08 PM
Nope, I don't see it happening. As great as it is (one of my personal favourites) it isn't as well recieved as many FF titles. Although I have spotted a trend in games that recieve a prequel/sequel.

FFIV: First SNES era game, got a sequel
FFVII: First PS era game, got many sequels and prequels
FFX: First PS2 era game, got a sequel
FFXII:First PS3 era game, got a sequel

The only other FF to buck the trend was XII with Revenant Wings, but that was a DS only game so it wasn't really made to sell millions.

Edit: Recently bought IX on PSN. Playing it on my PS3. 10 years on and it still beats most of the games of today.

sharkythesharkdogg
09-28-2011, 05:20 PM
Dress it up however you like, KaiserDragon has the right of it. It wasn't extremely popular compared to other FF's of the new era. Unpopular, means less profit. Unless there's some huge internet phenomenon demanding some sort of sequel I don't see it happening. It doesn't matter how passionate they are about it. It doesn't matter if it's the apple of their eye, and they're very proud of it. They're a business, and if they don't think it will make money the odds of a sequel happening are abysmal.

I actually like it that way. It's tough for me to pick a favorite from the PS1 era (probably 8, but it's tough). The PS1 era introduced a new flavor to the Final Fantasy series on a new console. Not 9 though. It acknowledged it's roots more. 9 was an homage to the more classic game play of the older generation. It was fun, it was like coming back home, and it was a classy end to a very good chapter in Square's history. The whole game was just solid. Hats off.

Things after that have been more rocky. Some highs some lows. I think if they tried something they'd twist it to conform to what the old gamers want and something they think would appeal to newer gamers. They'd try to achieve mass appeal for maximum marketability and lose the charm of the first one. I don't think it would work.

I'd just like them to just leave 9 alone. I wish they'd left 7 alone.

Wolf Kanno
10-01-2011, 09:04 PM
FFV also has a sequel anime, though most wish to forget about it...

I think the closest you'll ever get is when Sakaguchi uploaded all his notes and some original drafts of the script on his blog at the Mistwalker website. Though the character designer for IX has been working with the Dissidia team and created an original costume for Kuja as DLC. Its just going to be little stuff, but like some people have said, I feel we're better off not letting SE milk it.

Raian the Fallen
10-01-2011, 11:50 PM
Unfortunately, no.

The most we can hope for is a possible spin-off, but I really doubt it. The other games are more popular.

Yar
10-02-2011, 06:46 AM
Oh.. please no. :(

This game is already perfect, don't mess with it. Square can't be trusted these days.

Arylett Dawnsborough
10-07-2011, 11:46 PM
I don't think it's likely that we'll be getting anything for FFIX unless Square feels like they're running out of money or something. And that doesn't seem likely any time soon either.

Which makes me sort of sad. I'm not really fond of the Compilation or FFX's sequel (I don't /hate/ them persay. I'm pretty neutral on them, but don't think as good a job as the originals), but at the same time, I would like to see FFIX get a little more attention and respect. A spin-off /might/ be cool, but if that happened, it'd likely happen on a handheld. Although I wouldn't mind it on the 3DS, to be perfectly honest. I don't know if Square could handle it properly, but I would at least like to see it.

Oh well. I guess I'll have to stick to planning fanfiction if I want more material.

Bolivar
10-08-2011, 12:48 AM
You're probably more likely to get something else from VII before you get another thing from IX. It's like Hot Shot pointed out, the first games of each generation had the biggest impact, regardless of whether you argue the later ones are better (I do sometimes).

Personally I hope they don't touch it. I thoroughly enjoyed Advent Children for what it was, but none of the other FFVII Compilation projects appealed to me and I think X-2 was an abomination (never played it!). The After Years was really cool story-wise but it really accentuated the soul-less dungeon crawls of FFIV and how they served virtually no purpose other than to drag out the play clock. I think a direct sequel to FFXIII is the worst possible concept to have Kitase, Toriyama, Hamauzu, and Nojima working on. They're all souring their credibility by touching it. The only sequel I thought was awesome was Revenant Wings: I'm a hardcore RPG & RTS veteran, so all of you need to shut the hell up. I think every FF should and needs to standalone, so if you have an FF team doing nothing, have them make the next FF; if someone's already working on that, have them make a new IP to kep the creativity flowing, and bring those ideas back into FF at a later date. Who knows, you may have another hit on your hands.

As far as if it's feasible, to my knowledge, FFIX was a collaboration between Hironobu Sakaguchi, Hiroyuki Ito, Hideo Minaba, and Nobuo Uematsu. Uematsu may work freelance, but he's demonstrated he's willing to work for Square as much as an in-house employee would, so his absence makes no difference. Only Sakaguchi is unlikely to get involved, and while I credit him for the conception of the game, he had nothing to do with its implementation, although I'm sure he did play some supervisory role as the producer.

As for the OP's statements about businesses, there's tons of executives who clearly care about the creative direction of games, just as much, if not more, than their business considerations. Shinji Hashimoto at Square and Shuei Yoshida at PlayStation are both HUGE gamers who have their positions because they want to work at the "candy store." Hideo Kojima was/is on the board of directors at Konami and few individuals have pioneered this medium as far as he has.

Wolf Kanno
10-08-2011, 07:05 PM
I disagree about Sakeguchi's involvement in IX, as I said, one look from his notes and some unused first and second drafts of the game (http://www.mistwalkercorp.com/en/column/pg187.html), you can pretty much tell he was heavily involved in every story scene and location layout, hell he's been quoted as saying that IX is his favorite FF and the one he feels embodies his vision of what FF should be. So I would say he was more than just a supervisor who occasionally came in to see how things were doing. :p

Levian
10-08-2011, 07:18 PM
I think this game is one of the least likely FF games to get anything other than ports. Not because it's inferior in quality, the reasoning is strictly economical. 3D games require more work than 2D games, and this game reeled in the least amount of money out of the main series 3D games. The other 3D games are due for a remake or two before FF9.

Wolf Kanno
10-12-2011, 05:39 AM
I completely forgot about this interview, but maybe we're all wrong about no one having interest in a IX sequel. (http://ps3.ign.com/articles/980/980580p2.html)

DMKA
10-12-2011, 04:48 PM
I personally miss the days when there was no such thing as sequels in the FF series. I'd be just fine if they'd stop all this spinoff/sequel debauchery and just move on to the next game.

That's not to say I haven't enjoyed the sequels and don't look forward to upcoming sequels, it just seems like all the sequels/spinoffs they have done are lite, cheap and watered down. Playing X-2 and Dirge of Cerberus felt like watching The Lion King II: Simba's Pride or Cinderella III: A Twist in Time; Sure they were entertaining, but there was a lot to be desired, and that slight taste of injustice to the predecessor which was never structered to have a follow up in the first place.

Actually, what's happened with Disney animated features and the FF series is remarkably parallel, and amusingly enough it began around the time Kingdom Hearts came out. :p

Depression Moon
10-13-2011, 09:00 PM
I completely forgot about this interview, but maybe we're all wrong about no one having interest in a IX sequel. (http://ps3.ign.com/articles/980/980580p2.html)

You linked the wrong page.

Wolf Kanno
10-14-2011, 04:34 AM
I'm not doing all the work for you :colbert: