PDA

View Full Version : I know what zombies feel like.

Martyr
08-22-2011, 04:17 PM
Dead.

Yet I am somehow alive.

So, does anybody else go to a gym?

If so, help me remember why.
Tell me about your work out routines. I'll talk about me when my arms don't hurt every time I remember they're attached to me.

demondude
08-22-2011, 04:24 PM
Oh god.

Used to a little bit but I stopped because once I was satisfied enough with the way I looked I had no other reason to try, and it's all really boring to me anyway. I'll go running like, once every two weeks if I can be arsed.

Don't go. :monster:

Parker
08-22-2011, 04:53 PM
I'm joining the college gym when I get back. I don't know what routine I'm going to use but I'm guessing it will be starting strength or one of the myriad modified starting strength programs out there.

I'm weak and skinny and haven't worked out to any degree before but I'm looking forward to it.

cloud_doll
08-22-2011, 06:55 PM
I get really paranoid in gyms. I'm one of those people that think everyone is watching me work out.
I liked the fitTV network, but now since Oprah insisted on having her own network fitTV got booted and had to merge with Discovery Health. Now it's Discovery Fit and Health. Anyways from time to time the work outs come on. Gilad's Bodies in Motion is an awesome work out. So is Namaste Yoga.

Freya
08-22-2011, 07:04 PM
Oh at first I thought we had a case of cannibalism on our hands.

The Captain
08-22-2011, 07:09 PM
I try to go to the gym three times a week. Once to work on my upper body and cardio, once for just cardio and once for lower body and cardio. The cardio is usually about a half hour to 40 minutes on a stationary bike or treadmill, something to get my heart-rate up and the sweat going. If I can't make it, I make sure to at least exercise every day, playing pick-up games of basketball or soccer at the local parks, go for walks and the like. It also helps that I spend a lot of time in NYC since walking is the easiest option of travel there as well.

For the first few weeks of this regiment I would wake up sore as all hell, but my body has adjusted and now it's just a mild pain in the morning.

Take care all.

Pheesh
08-22-2011, 08:24 PM
I'm with DD. I keep fit by drumming, playing basketball, working etc. I don't think I'll ever subscribe to that whole gym mentality.

NorthernChaosGod
08-22-2011, 11:11 PM
I practically live at my gym these days. I'm there four days a week for two to two and a half hours a day.

Right now I'm doing a split of chest/back/upper legs and then arms/shoulders/core/calves. Apparently I needed bigger calves and arms. :mad:

Dreddz
08-22-2011, 11:30 PM
I work out regularly but I never go to the gym. At first it was because I couldn't deal with the shame of lifting tiny weights next to people lifting stuff equivalent to my entire body weight. Now its because I see it as a waste of time. You don't need gym equipment to have a good body. Just a decent pair of dumbbells is enough. Even cardio exercises can be done at home.

As of right now I have a pretty good body. One of those things that comes out as incredibly arrogant but I honestly feel its true. I am quite tall and have very lean muscle. My body fat is about the same as an athletes. My diet probably contributes to that. Lots of protein, lots of fruit and lots of water.

If you saw me on the street you would probably think I was a bit of a twat. Fair enough I say. Anyone that works out is a bit of a knob. Guys only work out for two reasons; for girls and to push people around. But then again girls only diet and put makeup on for the guys so everyone is a bad as each other. But we don't admit that.

Jiro
08-23-2011, 01:11 AM
I can't do gyms. It's the people. Muscleheads, hate 'em! Besides that, I have all the facilities I need to do what I need to do at home. And it's free. Fuck paying people, I need my money for food.

Pike
08-23-2011, 01:47 AM
Firstly, in b4 PG

Secondly, I don't do gyms or any sort of structured workout. Partially because I move around enough at work that it seems to keep me on the small end of the spectrum, and partially because due to a heart defect I can't do strenuous exercise for a prolonged period of time or my heart rate jumps up to something insanely dangerous. Yay for having an excuse to sit around and be a neckbeard! (Well, the female equivalent of one, anyway.)

Shlup
08-23-2011, 02:51 AM
I used to work out all the time. Yoga, bicycling, Jillian Michael's videos, or swimming. Right now I swim a few days a week, but I don't like being hot so that's about it for me. Once the weather cools down I'll get back in it. I like working out 'cause then I get to eat more!

NorthernChaosGod
08-23-2011, 03:46 AM
Just a decent pair of dumbbells is enough.
wat :|

Pheesh
08-23-2011, 05:41 AM

Not all of us need bigger calves.

NorthernChaosGod
08-23-2011, 05:53 AM

Not all of us need bigger calves.
But everyone should squat and deadlift.

Jiro
08-23-2011, 07:10 AM
I don't need to be able to crush batman's head in between my thighs.

Parker
08-23-2011, 12:41 PM
Guys only work out for two reasons; for girls and to push people around. But then again girls only diet and put makeup on for the guys so everyone is a bad as each other. But we don't admit that.

this is absolutely untrue fwiw

Pheesh
08-23-2011, 01:12 PM
Guys only work out for two reasons; for girls and to push people around. But then again girls only diet and put makeup on for the guys so everyone is a bad as each other. But we don't admit that.

this is absolutely untrue fwiw

Yeah, everyone knows girls work out to make other girls jealous, they don't care what guys think.

Christmas
08-23-2011, 01:46 PM
My weight is too heavy for the machine to withstand. As a matter of fact, I can't even get through the door because of my size! :(

NorthernChaosGod
08-23-2011, 02:20 PM
I don't need to be able to crush batman's head in between my thighs.
Don't be silly; you could work out for years and never accomplish that.

Martyr
08-24-2011, 03:31 PM
Well, I guess it's refreshing to know that lots of people exercise. At least I'm not crazier than more than half the people here.

Anyway, I take a class. CrossFit. The class is extraordinary. The work-outs are totally debilitating.
I used to work out at gyms for about 3 days per year, on the days when I felt like I was in desperate need of losing weight (you know how one day of working out will knock off about 15 pounds. Yeah.)
Anyway, I can do about 30 squats, 30 push-ups, run half a mile, and then I'm done. Yes. I know I'm weak. Thanks. Then I'm all totally exhausted. But in this program, they find a way to push me past my exhaustion. Sort of a second wind, but more like undeath. I am tired, beat down, destroyed, yet somehow lifting the weights up and down. I'm doing 30 squats and 40 push-ups for the 4th time. The 2nd push up isn't a second rep. The 80th is. aiyiyi. I can't believe I am doing it as I'm doing it. I feel like I'm on the brink of freaking death.
And damn they're good because although I get sore, I don't get black and blue or hurt. The program truly unlocks the fullest extent of exhaustion that I can put my body through. It's amazing. It's spectacular. It immobilizes me for a solid hour and a half after each work-out.
Anyway, I'm not going to quit (lol)
Remember: Quitters never win, and winners never lose!

NorthernChaosGod
08-24-2011, 07:11 PM
Progress pics?

Jiro
08-25-2011, 03:56 AM
Remember: Quitters never win, and winners never lose!

I take issue with this point but I understand your sentiment :p

Martyr
08-25-2011, 05:34 AM
Progress pics?

Uh, give me a couple months, and we'll see if I'm confident enough to broadcast my results all over the internet. I'm at that stage where I'm just kinda getting my body in shape to start actually getting in shape, if you know what I mean.

And Jiro, I know exactly what I am saying.

If you can see the text clearly, then I'm not sorry about the copy/paste thing that makes it hard to see. Otherwise, I am.

NorthernChaosGod
08-25-2011, 06:42 AM
Why is everything that color? :|

Martyr
08-25-2011, 02:13 PM
Apparently, it has something to do with copy and pasting my post under some circumstance or another.
Which I did. I didn't want to rewrite it all from scratch.

Casey
08-25-2011, 05:04 PM
I try to go to the gym three times a week. Once to work on my upper body and cardio, once for just cardio and once for lower body and cardio. The cardio is usually about a half hour to 40 minutes on a stationary bike or treadmill, something to get my heart-rate up and the sweat going. If I can't make it, I make sure to at least exercise every day, playing pick-up games of basketball or soccer at the local parks, go for walks and the like. It also helps that I spend a lot of time in NYC since walking is the easiest option of travel there as well.

For the first few weeks of this regiment I would wake up sore as all hell, but my body has adjusted and now it's just a mild pain in the morning.

Take care all.

That's pretty much what I've been doing. Plus workout Abs everyday. Just started doing cardio after weight lifting. Also got a jump rope, going to start doing that. I'm building my own gym, I think it's much cheaper if you have your own set of weights, bench press, dip bar, gymnast rings, pull-up bar... etc. Then getting a gym membership, plus I don't like going to the gym (schizophrenia) and being around people so I'd just rather work out alone. I try to work out everyday and only rest on Sundays. It's good for endorphins, and sure helps with the apathy/brain. Plus eating enough food and protein helps a lot, I've noticed strength gains by just adding the whey protein/casein shake to the diet. Pretty much eat over half my body weight in protein a day. Try to work out an hour to hour and half.

edit: I heard of Crossfit, I want to try it.

Reminds me I have P90x but I lost interest in that.

NorthernChaosGod
08-25-2011, 09:30 PM
Pretty much eat over half my body weight in protein a day.
wat. Explain.

Mercen-X
08-26-2011, 09:10 PM
I have a mini-gym in my apartment complex. When I go, usually there's no one else in there which is how I prefer it. But just yesterday, I went down after doing 200 situps and used the leg press, the bike, and the treadmill, and a pretend jump-rope. Yeah, I don't have a jump-rope so I just kind of started hopping in place. I was only down there for an hour before my legs started to burn. It was funny though that while using the leg press, a couple of people stopped by the gym because their baby wanted to explore the complex. I was really uncomfortable.

Anyway... I'm at the library right now having walked here from my apartment: a 45 minutes walk. I'll be walking back when my computer time expires. Then I'll hit the gym and go for some upper body. Hopefully, no one's in there 'cause I don't socialize well and I can't handle awkward silences any better.
Wow, typing about workouts is making me hungry.

Casey
08-27-2011, 11:50 PM
Pretty much eat over half my body weight in protein a day.
wat. Explain.

Casein Protein (slow absorbing 7+ hours, good if you're trying to gain weight and prevent catabolism)... 25 g protein
Whey Protein (good after workout).... 25 g protein
Albacore Tuna... 26 g protein (omega fatty acids, good for you I eat a can everyday)
Chobani Greek Yogurt... 15 g protein (yogurt is good for you digestive system)
Cup of Brown Rice... 16g protein (doesn't spike insulin levels like white rice does, lots of fiber!)
Cotto Salami... 4g slice (you can have several)
Eggs/egg whites... 6g (I usually eat 1 full egg, and few eggs without the yolk-- gotta watch the cholestrol)
Slice of wheat bread... 3g (I don't eat bread anymore)
Adam's Natural Peanut Butter... 7g 2 tbspn (natural peanut butter the way to go, don't want partially hydrogenated oils, plus good fats for the heart, helps lowers cholesterol.)
Chicken... varies around 25g
Beef Patties... (once a week) 25g
Steak (I eat once a week) 25g+

Pretty much straightforward, of course I don't eat all of that in a day. Just some of the food I eat that has a lot of protein. You figure your body needs protein to build muscle, you want to be eating enough to prevent muscle catabolism. I'm no expert plus I don't even eat bread, sugary stuff (use sparingly), or soda (just diet soda). Lifting weights, resistance training, the way I said it and doing light cardio afterwards... I started working out a month ago and have lost 11 pounds. It helps to get body tape measurements/body fat calipers to keep track of progress I ordered some on amazon and still waiting for body tape measurement (they're pretty cheap). I've heard boxer's use jump ropes because it helps their coordination and it's also a good cardio workout.

NorthernChaosGod
08-28-2011, 12:24 AM
I know all about fucking protein. What I don't get is half your weight in it. Even a serious bodybuilder only takes like 1gram/pound of body weight.

Pheesh
08-28-2011, 08:16 PM
By adding all of those together (even the ones he doesn't eat everyday) it becomes perfectly clear that he weighs a very ripped, and toned 400g.

NorthernChaosGod
08-28-2011, 08:20 PM
By adding all of those together (even the ones he doesn't eat everyday) it becomes perfectly clear that he weighs a very ripped, and toned 400g.
I'm jelly.

Casey
08-29-2011, 03:56 AM
I know all about smurfing protein. What I don't get is half your weight in it. Even a serious bodybuilder only takes like 1gram/pound of body weight.

How Much Do You Need?

We need protein at all stages of life, for a variety of bodily functions. It's the major component of all cells, including muscle and bone. It's needed for growth, development, and immunity to fight off infections and protect the body.

The Institute of Health's Dietary Reference Intake (DRI) recommendations allow for a wide range of protein intake - anywhere from 10% to 35% of total calories - for normal, healthy adults. For example, on an 1,800 calorie diet, you could safely consume anywhere from 45 grams (that's 10% of calories) to 218 grams (35%) of protein per day.

However, the Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) for protein is 56 grams a day for men and 46 grams a day for women. Most Americans have no problem getting this much, but would struggle to take in enough protein to make up 35% of their calories.

That said, is it possible to eat too much protein? There are no dangers associated with higher intakes of protein - unless you have kidney disease.

To get the potential weight loss benefit, experts advise aiming for around 120 grams of protein a day. If you want to increase your protein intake, do it slowly over the course of a week.

To be on the safe side, check with your doctor before adding large amounts of protein to your diet.
Source. (http://www.webmd.com/diet/guide/high-protein-diet-weight-loss)

Actually I'm 5'11, 183 pounds. Have a small gut I'm trying to lose. Been making progress though.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
08-29-2011, 04:39 AM
I have a fairly set lifting routine. I have a five day routine, each day focuses on different muscle groups.
Day 1 - Chest and Triceps
Day 2 - Back and Biceps
Day 3 - Shoulders
Day 4 - Arms and Abs (Core)
Day 5 - Legs

I really should do core every day, but I just don't like spending more than an hour to an hour in a half at the gym.
Also, I try to change up the actual workouts for each muscle group every couple months. It is working out fairly well so far. Though I really feel like I should add some cardio to my routine. And I don't take any health supplements or protein. I work out to feel good about myself, not to get big or ripped.

Mercen-X
09-04-2011, 11:11 PM
2+1/2 hour bike ride yesterday. Not only do my legs feel like sh:- but so do my arms. Leaning forward to reach the low handles far ahead of my seat put a painful strain on my upper back and neck too.
We also stopped midway and tossed a football like a bunch of idiots. Then we played in a kiddy park like a bunch of idiots. I climbed up the slides and slide down the ladders like an idiot. There's this thing I've never seen before with a kind of valve wheel on it that you can twist until it goes all of the way up and then hang on it and it spins you. But it's too slow for me that way, I don't like having to lift myself for a measely half-spin. So I kept my foot on the ground and used the leverage to spin absolutely out of control! My glasses almost flew off of my face.
That was fun. Of all the things I've ever done in my life, very few things are very exciting to me. I like climbing, dropping, flipping, and... definitely spinning!

demondude
09-04-2011, 11:14 PM
I jumped off a children's swing once and almost broke my foot. It's my greatest achievement yet.

Jiro
09-05-2011, 05:44 AM
One day you'll get your big break.

Lane
10-20-2011, 06:33 PM

Take care all.
There is no hesitation in it if you get the gym only three days in a week. The main thing which really matter is that you must concentrate on the routine that is really helpful for you to get the result even with the use of the 3 days in a week.