PDA

View Full Version : In the next Metroid game, should they expand Samus' character further?

KentaRawr!
08-24-2011, 03:28 PM
Lots of people really dislike Metroid: Other M's characterization of Samus. How do you feel about it? And in the next game, do you think they should focus on her character to 'fix' it, or should they just leave Samus' personality alone?

Heath
08-24-2011, 03:43 PM
I've not played Metroid: Other M, but from the other Metroid games I've played, I've never been too fussed about Samus' personality, as long as she kicks arse.

NorthernChaosGod
08-24-2011, 07:16 PM
The last Metroid game I played was Super Metroid. She has a personality? o_O

KentaRawr!
08-24-2011, 07:20 PM
Here, watch this series of videos if you haven't seen Metroid Other M's cutscenes and don't mind full-game spoilers: Metroid: Other M ~ The Movie ~ Part 1 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_YxZkoMQNI)

Pike
08-24-2011, 07:36 PM
I'm not the world's biggest Metroid fan (nothing against it, I just haven't played much of it), but I always thought it was weird how Nintendo turned Samus into some sort of generic anime chick in a skintight suit.

Relevant image (spoilered for NSFW language):

http://p.twimg.com/AXOgHWzCQAA8aXo.png

KentaRawr!
08-24-2011, 07:53 PM
I'm not the world's biggest Metroid fan (nothing against it, I just haven't played much of it), but I always thought it was weird how Nintendo turned Samus into some sort of generic anime chick in a skintight suit.

She's always been a generic anime chick from the beginning. Just, with the ending pictures from Metroid Fusion and Metroid Zero Mission, and her badassery in general, it was easier to imagine her as a young, independent, ass-kickin' bounty hunter lady. Then Other M revealed a more womanly side to her, which is fine. But she was more than just womanly; Listening to her thoughts, she came off as a bit delusional. But I'll not spoil anything. :P

NorthernChaosGod
08-24-2011, 10:13 PM

I like how they choose the Ripley from the worst of the Alien movies. xD

Even though Samus has pretty much always been like that. You can see if you beat the original games quickly.

Del Murder
08-26-2011, 01:03 AM
I'm getting sick of the standard policy of the main Nintendo characters not having a personality. But I've heard she was pretty poorly handled in Other M. So I would like to see more of her personality but done in a better way. Also go back to the Super Metriod style of play! That's most important.

ljkkjlcm9
08-26-2011, 02:18 AM
People were just pissed that she played a "subordinate." Simple fact is, this game is a prequel to all the others, and she wasn't going to be in the independent badass that she becomes without something happening. This game gave a pretty good start to how she became what she was. I had no problems with how it was handled, and it honestly made sense to me. Sure it wasn't the Samus I knew from the other games, but I understand how it leads her to become such a woman.

THE JACKEL

edczxcvbnm
09-02-2011, 04:35 PM
Also go back to the Super Metriod style of play! That's most important.

This. I want a glorious new 2D HD Metroid Adventure. None of this handheld stuff or fancy 3D badassery. A 2D HD Sprite game in the style of Super Metroid with some new powers for once. That would be awesome.

That said, I don't really care about her character as I felt it was just fine through the subtext of gameplay and the few story moments it had. The whole concept of her character in terms of the game boils down to "Oh shit! Space Pirates! Call the bounty hunter!"

KentaRawr!
09-02-2011, 10:55 PM
People were just pissed that she played a "subordinate." Simple fact is, this game is a prequel to all the others, and she wasn't going to be in the independent badass that she becomes without something happening. This game gave a pretty good start to how she became what she was. I had no problems with how it was handled, and it honestly made sense to me. Sure it wasn't the Samus I knew from the other games, but I understand how it leads her to become such a woman.

THE JACKEL

Canonically, it's the fourth game of five. So she's already done all the badassery, really. The only game that takes place after this, even if you count the Metroid Prime games, is Metroid Fusion.

Skyblade
09-09-2011, 06:38 PM

THE JACKEL

Considering the game starts with the ending to Super Metroid, I'm not sure how much of a "prequel" you can call it.

If the subordinate/leader situation had been handled better, it could have been a much better game. But it was horrible. She felt more clingy and whiny than respectful. Oh, man, and the upgrades, that was even worse. She would literally sit there and die rather than use a weapon system that Adam hadn't given her permission to use.

Then there was the incredibly poorly handled motherhood theme throughout that game, which did nothing at all to help the characterization.

They could have done a lot, even with holding to the same basic story and the themes they wanted to use. They just needed to try subtlety, and get someone in who could actually write.

Polnareff
09-09-2011, 06:43 PM
People disliked Other M for the WRONG reason, I can say that much (the gameplay was wack).

But nah, Nintendo never really expands on characters, they focus on gameplay, which is much better than trying to have a good story and failing miserably (like 95% of the games that have come out in the last 8 years!) Probably better to keep it that way. I dunno what they were thinking getting Team Ninja, who DOES make some really good games, don't get me wrong-- to develop Other M when they could have done so themselves.