PDA

View Full Version : How do you like your steak?!?!

Mirage
08-24-2011, 07:37 PM
Well?!

Pike
08-24-2011, 07:38 PM
Well

Pheesh
08-24-2011, 07:40 PM
Medium rare, the way it's supposed to be cooked.

Mirage
08-24-2011, 07:41 PM
Medium rare, for the mothersmurfing win.

Pike
08-24-2011, 07:44 PM
Actually I don't care at all how it's cooked, I just couldn't resist the urge to answer by quoting the OP, because it amused me.

Yes I'm lame.

I'm not the biggest steak fan in the world

Mirage
08-24-2011, 07:44 PM
I do not understand people who do not think steaks are the tastiest stuff in the world. My girlfriend doesn't like them and i'm like WHAT THE SMURF IS WRONG WITH YOU GURL?! And then she runs off crying and locks herself in the bedroom.

I do not eat steaks nearly as often as I would like to, and this makes me sad.

The Man
08-24-2011, 07:47 PM
Everyone who chooses anything over medium rare is overcooking all the flavour out of their steak. Everyone who chooses anything below medium rare, enjoy your food-borne illnesses.

This goes for all beef dishes that I'm aware of, actually, although I can tolerate hamburgers cooked medium.

Mirage
08-24-2011, 08:02 PM
People who get sick from rare meat should just die anyway, so we can get their genes out of the gene pool and strengthen humanity as a race!

I eat bacon without cooking it pretty often <,<. It is however slightly smoked so it isn't entirely raw.

Parker
08-24-2011, 08:50 PM
I try not to be elitist about food but anyone who cooks their steaks medium or above should be culled

Jess
08-24-2011, 09:18 PM
No steak.

Psychotic
08-24-2011, 09:22 PM
I would eat and love a steak cooked in any way shape or form. Steak is just that fantastic and my favourite food. But yeah naturally the best way to cook it is medium rare. Goes without saying.

Madame Adequate
08-24-2011, 09:41 PM
Meejum Rare, blates

Freya
08-24-2011, 09:50 PM
Medium/Medium Rare for me. A lot of times when I go places I ask for medium because when I ask for medium rare they give me super rare. And then it's gross and hardly cooked.

NorthernChaosGod
08-24-2011, 10:09 PM
http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/3716/perfectsteak.jpg

Medium-rare is acceptable on a lower quality cut of meat, but rare is God tier.

Pike
08-24-2011, 10:19 PM
You know I've never actually been to a place where they ask me how I want my steak. The only times I've ever had steak are at home and then I just eat whatever the heck is handed to me

Mirage
08-24-2011, 10:54 PM
If you aren't asked, and don't say anything, you'll probably get a medium rare. That seems to be the standard.

blackmage_nuke
08-24-2011, 11:17 PM
Anywhere from medium rare to medium well is fine with me, the important thing is the fat hasnt been cut off.

fire_of_avalon
08-24-2011, 11:37 PM
Rare to medium rare is fine. It just needs to be warm in the center. Do not like cold steaky steak.

Laddy
08-24-2011, 11:43 PM
Medium Well. C-c-combo breaker!

AngelWings8
08-25-2011, 12:31 AM
I order medium rare, but if it comes out rare I'll gladly eat it! I just can't stand anything cooked past medium rare.

I also love beef carpaccio....it's raw and sooooo gooooood..... :drool:

The Man
08-25-2011, 12:32 AM
Medium Well. C-c-combo breaker!It's like we don't even know you anymore. :doublecolbert:

sharkythesharkdogg
08-25-2011, 12:41 AM
Rare. I'll do medium rare, but not further.

I'm not a huge steak fan though.

NorthernChaosGod
08-25-2011, 01:00 AM
Can we merge everything from medium to overcooked into one group? Come on, anything passed medium rare is overcooked.

Jiro
08-25-2011, 01:08 AM
I said medium but only because people tend to undercook steak around here. Except at home where I always end up being served charcoal.

EDIT: So I guess I should say that medium rare is the only true answer.

Shlup
08-25-2011, 02:07 AM
Steak sashimi. <3

Rye
08-25-2011, 03:08 AM
Medium rare, when the place is good and reliable, is just the absolute best thing ever.

Rostum
08-25-2011, 03:12 AM
Anything above medium rare loses it's juicy flavour. I have no idea how people eat meat that has no flavour.

NorthernChaosGod
08-25-2011, 03:18 AM
On another note, I can't believe people actually use A1 on steak. I probably would use some if I was eating a steak that was overcooked, but never on a good cut of meat at the right temperature.

Mo-Nercy
08-25-2011, 09:30 AM
The poll should've just been a choice between rare, medium rare and overcooked. Without the reddish-pink centre, the steak just isn't steaky enough.

Carl the Llama
08-25-2011, 10:09 AM
http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/3716/perfectsteak.jpg

Medium-rare is acceptable on a lower quality cut of meat, but rare is God tier.

This. Whenever I order steak from a restaurant I always ask them to cook it rare because they always overcook it and it comes out medium rare but I prefer rare tbh.

Rantz
08-25-2011, 10:11 AM
Anything from medium rare to medium well is fine, but I'm tempted to only eat well done just to piss off meat elitists because god damn. Even a well done steak tastes good assuming you know how to season it, an art that is sadly lost on many.

Christmas
08-25-2011, 11:11 AM
It depends on who I eat with! If it is a close friend, then it can be anything! I mean raw, overcooked or I will eat the cow alive!!! :bigsmile:

If it is a date or someone not that close, I will try to be more elegant and lady like....oops, now everyone knows my true colours! :(

Parker
08-25-2011, 11:52 AM
Even a well done steak tastes good assuming you know how to season it, an art that is sadly lost on many.

This may be true but you're just adding flavour to something that is essentially without flavour. Anything can taste good if you add a bunch of seasoning to it, no matter how delicately said seasoning is created.

Rantz
08-25-2011, 12:01 PM
Maybe you've just eaten low quality meat with little taste :D

Parker
08-25-2011, 12:03 PM
If you've well-done'd a good quality steak I will kill you.

Rantz
08-25-2011, 12:18 PM
I think I've finally found your kryptonite, Parker. I thought you were immortal once...

demondude
08-25-2011, 01:26 PM
Medium ta.

NorthernChaosGod
08-25-2011, 02:15 PM
Anything from medium rare to medium well is fine, but I'm tempted to only eat well done just to piss off meat elitists because god damn. Even a well done steak tastes good assuming you know how to season it, an art that is sadly lost on many.
This is pretty much the same thing as the A1 thing I brought up. :colbert:

Good quality meat cooked properly doesn't need to be seasoned to taste good.

Rantz
08-25-2011, 02:44 PM
Indeed, but it can taste so much better. You just don't know how to season it properly. :love:

NorthernChaosGod
08-25-2011, 02:54 PM
I'll season you. :doublecolbert:

Slothy
08-25-2011, 03:18 PM
Indeed, but it can taste so much better. You just don't know how to season it properly. :love:

Meh. If you're seasoning it, whether you're doing it properly or not, you're covering up the natural taste of the meat which is absolutely delicious on its own if you aren't overcooking it. I'd only bother with seasoning if it's not a prime cut of meat or you manage to cock up the cooking process.

And I take my steak Blue Rare. Just enough cooking to kill the surface bacteria while leaving the meat feeling like meat when you eat it. Absolutely delicious and the best way to have. I also have to order blue rare in a restaurant since most will overcook it because they're afraid of getting sued. Not really sure why though considering I've never gotten sick from eating blue rare steak, nor do I know anyone who has (and between myself and my mom alone we've eaten a lot of really rare steaks).

sharkythesharkdogg
08-25-2011, 04:00 PM
I've only gotten a little queasy once from eating something that was rare. It was a rack of lamb.

In fact, I've gotten food several many times, and it usually seems to come from vegetables and some meats that were cooked thoroughly.

leader of mortals
08-25-2011, 04:19 PM
I used to order my steaks well done. I never used to like steaks.

Now I order my steaks medium, and I fucking love steaks. I've never had a medium-rare steak though, if I remember correctly, so I think next time I go to a steakhouse I'll get one, and compare it to medium.

I always get a sirloin, btw. What kind of steak does everyone else get?

AngelWings8
08-25-2011, 04:22 PM
Hmm...after reading more of these I'm tempted to start ordering rare instead of medium rare at restaurants. I've noticed that sometimes when I order medium rare, it's more medium than I'd like (doesn't happen as often as nicer steakhouses though). I suppose I've just been concerned that ordering rare would be risky and I might get sick...that's never been a problem for you "rare" people?

Pheesh
08-25-2011, 04:30 PM
My favourite cut is Scotch Fillet, especially if you can get it from a Wagyū cow. *drool*

Slothy
08-25-2011, 05:18 PM
I suppose I've just been concerned that ordering rare would be risky and I might get sick...that's never been a problem for you "rare" people?

Never. And I don't know anyone who's gotten sick from it either, though granted, that's not many people because most people I know are too afraid or grossed out for some reason. Steak isn't like hamburger or other types of meats you may eat. Any bacteria is apparently near the surface so a quick searing of the outside of it does the trick. And again, while my evidence is certainly anecdotal, I'd say the fact that I've never gotten sick from it certainly supports that idea. I might be concerned if the meat weren't very fresh, or was poorly stored and refrigerated, but even the stuff I buy from the store which may have been prepared as much as a day or two earlier has never given me any problems.

And to be honest, when I've seen Les Stroud eat literally rotting fish on Survivorman and still be fine, I don't worry too much about meat making me sick.

Rebellious Eagle
08-25-2011, 06:57 PM
Medium/medium well for me! :D Well done is too hard to chew for me sometimes.

sharkythesharkdogg
08-25-2011, 07:44 PM
I used to order my steaks well done. I never used to like steaks.

Now I order my steaks medium, and I smurfing love steaks. I've never had a medium-rare steak though, if I remember correctly, so I think next time I go to a steakhouse I'll get one, and compare it to medium.

Filet Mignon, Prime Rib, or sirloin. No t-bones for the shark.

Hmm...after reading more of these I'm tempted to start ordering rare instead of medium rare at restaurants. I've noticed that sometimes when I order medium rare, it's more medium than I'd like (doesn't happen as often as nicer steakhouses though). I suppose I've just been concerned that ordering rare would be risky and I might get sick...that's never been a problem for you "rare" people?

Go for it Steph, you'll be glad you did. As much as we hear about food born illness scares in the news, the controls and sanitary requirements needed for meats to meat the FDA requirements are better than they've ever been, and most restaurants are pretty responsible.

Example, I have a friend/ex-girlfriend who is on immunosuppressants from a transplant and really has to watch what bacteria she comes in contact with. She doesn't eat at buffets for example. She's also a fiery little carnivore, and orders her steaks rare with out an issue. If her weaker immune system can take it, you should be fine.

Laddy
08-25-2011, 09:06 PM
I order Medium Well because I can't stand blood or anything that remotely resembles it! :P

NorthernChaosGod
08-25-2011, 09:28 PM
I usually get filet mignon, but ribeye is a close second.

Timekeeper
08-27-2011, 04:52 PM
Hey cool, I get to be different again.
Not a fan of juicy steak, unless it's been slow cooked in gravy. Mmmm, gravy.

Heath
08-27-2011, 11:36 PM
I'm part of the medium rare crowd!

Martyr
08-28-2011, 12:34 AM
Ribeye is the best steak.
Medium rare is the best way it's cooked.
If a ribeye is cooked too rare, it's still fantastic.
Nobody has to be afraid of e-coli or salmonella with a stek, because, as has been said, it's a different type of cut of meat than the ground hamburger. Which is why you can order a rare sirloin burger at nicer restaurants, but not at cheaper bar restaurants where the meat has too be med-well to well done.

If you want natural beef raised organically, grass fed and treated as well as any cow could be (except for the beer massages from bikini clad Japanese girls that those lucky Kobe steers get in Japan), then I can provide it, since, on top of all my other jobs that I hold, my profile isn't a complete lie.

Madonna
08-28-2011, 05:47 PM
The reason one should never eat an under-cooked burger is because it is made of /ground/ beef. Ground meat is the result of mashing a piece or pieces of meat into a homogeneous lump and that means the former surface and it's bacteria are spread throughout the meat. Searing such meat cannot protect you from food-borne illness. It needs to be cooked to the core.

Seasoning is historically used to make something crap taste less like crap. The most a steak ever needs is salt and pepper, but if you like marinades or sauces, more power to you; it is your steak. But anyone who goes into the realm of well is doing themselves a disservice; next time you are in a nice restaurant, order medium rare and see how it goes.

Breine
08-28-2011, 07:51 PM
I don't eat steaks anymore, but when I did I used to like them either medium rare or rare. Mostly rare.