PDA

View Full Version : I am supposed to be asleep.

Pike
08-26-2011, 08:52 AM
...but I cannot fall asleep! I have been cursed with bouts of insomnia lately. I was always such a good sleeper, but lately, I don't know! :monster:

What do you do when you can't fall asleep? I used to just lie there and hope for the best (that's what she said) but these days I'll get up and mess around online or play vidya or something until I actually feel tired.

Jiro
08-26-2011, 11:22 AM
Do something until I feel tired. I have some mystical placebo that helps sometimes too. It tastes like candy.

Usually I'll try and study because I know that always makes me dead tired.

NorthernChaosGod
08-26-2011, 03:00 PM
Vigorously masturbate. :monster:

demondude
08-26-2011, 03:02 PM
Do something until I feel tired. I have some mystical placebo that helps sometimes too. It tastes like candy.

closely linked to:

Vigorously masturbate. :monster:

Unless that's what you were getting at and I'm being derpy.

fire_of_avalon
08-26-2011, 03:03 PM
Once about every three months or so I have this period if one to five days where I just cannot fall asleep. Like my brain won't turn off. Generally I just toss ans turn and sigh a lot.

Jessweeee♪
08-26-2011, 03:09 PM
If it's very important that I sleep, I'll just stay in bed. If a long period of time goes by and I still can't sleep, totally waking up and then trying again usually does the trick. I'll get up, use the bathroom, maybe go get a snack, and then go back to bed. If I can sleep in then I might just wake up and play a video game.

Christmas
08-26-2011, 05:35 PM
I eat when I can't fall asleep.
I eat when I wanna fall asleep.
I eat when I am falling asleep.
I eat when I am asleep.
I eat when I am no longer asleep.
Oink Oink!
:bigsmile:

Pike
08-26-2011, 05:55 PM
I do too, sometimes, but that would involve taking out my retainer and everything so I have to make sure I'm really hungry before I do it.

Pheesh
08-26-2011, 05:57 PM
I listen to podcasts on my phone every night as I go to sleep. But I also stay up until ungodly hours, so don't listen to me.

Rebellious Eagle
08-26-2011, 09:09 PM
I play The Sims, eat, read a book, or, uh, other things. :)

Mercen-X
08-26-2011, 09:38 PM
I tend to sit and stare at my computer until about midnight or even 2pm (usually to my surprise) and then maybe I'll feel tired and decide to go to bed.

Lately, I've been trying to get to sleep earlier and earlier. I managed to try to go to sleep last night at 9. But I ended up waking up at about 11 and tossed and turned further into the night. I once went to bed at 8 and just sat there staring at internet on my phone until I realized I'd been up all morning till 4:30 am just reading random sh:-. Literotica Addicta. That was a binge night. I haven't done that since. I've really got to make sure I can get to sleep.

FYI: I usually find that when I dwell, I can't sleep. I once had a program installed in my head that directed my thoughts in constantly randomly branching directions that made no sense. When your thoughts develop a theme, you'll become trapped thus awake. But when there's no theme, the thought process mimics the dream state and before you realize it, you're suddenly dreaming... but sometimes you realize you're dreaming and wake up and feel tempted to shout a loud swear word at the fact that you just woke up two seconds after falling asleep.

I also have woken myself up because I found that I'd stopped breathing.

AngelWings8
08-26-2011, 09:47 PM
I usually just toss and turn until I can fall asleep too. Studies supposedly show that the light from your computer or the tv makes it harder for you to fall asleep, so that might be counterproductive (unless you do it until you're too tired I suppose). My absolute last resort if I need to sleep for an important meeting or interview would probably be to take ambien (or benadryl which contains the same ingredient as OTC sleeping pills, except that it makes me groggy the next day).

Some interesting articles regarding the topic:
Your Computer Is Giving You Insomnia, But I’ve Got the Medicine: F.lux | Techerator (http://www.techerator.com/2010/06/your-computer-is-giving-you-insomnia-but-ive-got-the-medicine-flu/) (I might want to try this program for insomnia)
NY Times Article: As Different as Day and Night (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/21/fashion/21SPY.html)

“Nowadays there are lots of environmental issues that play a role in altering people’s sleep patterns, and the most obvious would be the computer,” said Dr. Nancy Collop, medical director of the Johns Hopkins Sleep Disorders Center. “It emits a blue light, which is one of the most stimulating lights to the little receptors we all have in the back of our eyeballs, which send messages to the brain to say whether it’s day or night and whether we should be awake or go to sleep.”
In other words, your receptors become confused if you stare into a computer screen late at night.

Mercen-X
08-26-2011, 09:57 PM
make sense

Shlup
08-26-2011, 10:06 PM
When I can't sleep, I read. I read regardless though... I fall asleep holding my Nook more often than not.

Agent Proto
08-26-2011, 10:12 PM
Some interesting articles regarding the topic:
Your Computer Is Giving You Insomnia, But I’ve Got the Medicine: F.lux | Techerator (http://www.techerator.com/2010/06/your-computer-is-giving-you-insomnia-but-ive-got-the-medicine-flu/) (I might want to try this program for insomnia)

F.lux is a neato program if you like to use the laptop in the dark, since the screen is not so bright for your eyes as it would be during the daytime. It is, however, no cure for insomnia.

NorthernChaosGod
08-26-2011, 10:19 PM
I play The Sims, eat, read a book, or, uh, other things. :)
And what pray tell are these other things?

Yar
08-26-2011, 10:25 PM
Put on some brown or white noise. Focus on your breathing, and try to take slower, longer breaths.

also fap

Jiro
08-27-2011, 05:38 AM
I'm glad I at least got my first post in before this thread descended into a "I fap to sleep" thread.

And no, that's not what I was alluding to, DD.

Pike
08-27-2011, 06:35 AM
fapping only works sometimes

NorthernChaosGod
08-27-2011, 06:36 AM
Three posts in and it turned into self-love. New record?

Pike
08-27-2011, 06:37 AM
Three posts in and it turned into self-love. New record?

Somehow I doubt it

NorthernChaosGod
08-27-2011, 06:43 AM
:(

Laddy
08-27-2011, 06:58 AM
Pop in a Survivor DVD and take notes. Hey, I got be prepared! :3

Yar
09-01-2011, 09:24 AM
I CANT SLEEP someone touch me :(

qwertysaur
09-01-2011, 07:06 PM
I CANT SLEEP someone touch me :(:tpg:

sad.mind
09-02-2011, 07:05 AM
I smoke a little somethin'.

Loony BoB
09-03-2011, 08:59 AM
What people have already mentioned, with the addition of brushing my teeth. For some reason I sleep better if I've just brushed my teeth. I have no idea why.

I sleep pretty good all the time, though. I'm lucky that way.

Christmas
09-03-2011, 09:47 AM
I CANT SLEEP someone touch me :(:tpg:

http://forums.eyesonff.com/members/christmas-albums-eyes++final+fantasy-picture33492-1239176605-lip-lick.gif

o_O
09-03-2011, 07:26 PM
http://i.imgur.com/0cgLH.jpg

When I can't sleep I just lie down with a guitar on me and play things that relate to sleep. :kakapo: