PDA

View Full Version : The top ten best battle aspects.

Greatermaximus
08-27-2011, 07:48 AM
Lets ignore the natural leveling stats. We can also ignore special characters and particular ones. What do you think helps more of the time in battle? Your personal top ten.

1. Math Skill
2. Blade Grasp
3. Excalibur
4. Chantage
5. Teleport
6. Draw Out
7. Robe of Lords
8. Escutcheon II
9. Thief Hat
10. Short Charge

Skyblade
10-29-2011, 06:49 AM
Lets ignore the natural leveling stats. We can also ignore special characters and particular ones. What do you think helps more of the time in battle? Your personal top ten.

1. Math Skill
2. Blade Grasp
3. Excalibur
4. Chantage
5. Teleport
6. Draw Out
7. Robe of Lords
8. Escutcheon II
9. Thief Hat
10. Short Charge

Since I think abilities from the later games are way more useful than those in Tactics:

1. Ribbon
2. Concentrate (FFTA incarnation)
3. Assassination (Assassin A-Abilities)
4. Reflex (in FFTA)
5. Flair (Paravir A-Abilities)
6. Hunting (Hunter A-Abilities, FFTA incarnation)
7. Geomancy (Support Ability)
8. Blue Magic (Blue Mage A-Abilities)
9. High Magic (Seer A-Abilities)
10. Sharpshooting (Sniper A-Abilities)

The Ribbon is at top for the same reason it is always at top. It prevents all status ailments, enough said.

Concentrate, in FFTA, was incredible. It gave such a huge hit increase to most moves, including status/death attacks like Rockseal and Last Breath, that it was pretty much the best support ability in the game, and I would even take it over Dual Wield (largely because Dual Wield is incompatable with most abilities, which is where most of your damage comes from). Sadly, it was nerfed in FFTA2.

Assassination is just awesome. Ultima Masher, Last Breath, Rockseal, Shadowbind, Nightmare. This class could do pretty much everything you wanted, and that's ignoring the Assassin's completely overpowered stat growth in FFTA.

Reflex was much the same as Concentrate. It negated probably 50% of the attacks in FFTA, and was a great ability, but in FFTA2, they improved the AI so that enemies now use more abilities, which, sadly, hurt Reflex a lot.

Flair. Ah, Flair. This ability set is just insane. 4 no-MP-cost abilities that hit for double weapon damage, have elemental affinity, and can inflict a status effect. With Geomancy, a Paravir can hit almost every enemy in the game for the equivalent of a strike from Ultima every turn, and inflict ailments on them while doing it. Then it gets Wind Slash, which gives it a ranged option (and also synergizes with Geomancy), and Iai Strike, which can instant kill enemies if you like working with luck. Blade Bash has a nice status effect, but does way too little damage (at 1/4 normal damage, non-elemental) to really worry about. And, of course, Unburden Soul is insanely powerful, if you don't mind your Paravir's death (or have Reraise).

The Hunter's A-Abilities are great, mostly because of their manipulation skills. Sidewinder is great for bypassing reaction abilities and hitting hard against monsters, while Sonic Boom gives any class both range and AOE. Ultima Shot is, well, it's Ultima, I mean, c'mon. And Hunting is, in FFTA, one of the most useful moves in the game, since you can pair it with Mateus to absolutely destroy entire parties instantly.

Geomancy. A weird little support ability, but definitely a gem. Basically, it reduces the effective enemy resistance to the attacks used by the character with Geomancy. Absorbtion turns to negation, negation to half damage, half damage to normal, and normal to weak. Given to a class with a variety of elemental abilities, such as the Black Mage, the Illusionist, or the Paravir, and this ensures that enemies will usually be weak to something in their aresenal.

Blue Magic. Because, it can do pretty much anything. Hard to master, but, once mastered, you have one of the most versatile and powerful units in the game. It can heal, buff, damage, debuff, and everything in between.

High Magic. Why? Magic Frenzy. Even without Double Sword, an elemental weapon and Geomancy make this hit for insane damage.

Sharpshooting. While quite decent on its own, it is mostly the way this set complements others that make it great. Beso Toxico is great for both bypassing Reflex/Strikeback/Return Fire, and for getting a little extra damage. And the ability to turn invisible is just great when combined with any close-range class such as the Assassin or Spellblade.

Roogle
11-02-2011, 10:53 PM
Hardly anything can compare to Math Skill. I only use the special characters when I play through the game aside from Chapter 1, so I don't really know what would help the most aside from optimal equipment and abilities like Draw Out and Summon that inherently hit multiple targets.