PDA

View Full Version : I need an answer to this

Yar
09-01-2011, 02:56 AM
I have a plan to set a pool of water on fire.

The plan is to put enough oil into the pool, so that there is a thin layer of oil over the entire surface of water. That way, the oil can catch fire, but since it won't mix with water, the water would be ok. And in my "theory" it would be possible to swim under the fire in the water.

Ok scientists, tell me what I'm doing wrong and why

Shlup
09-01-2011, 04:17 AM
Doesn't oil and water and fire cause... explosions? And the oil would really fuck up your filter, if you try it in a regular pool.

Regardless, I say go for it.

Jiro
09-01-2011, 07:51 AM
There is nothing that seems unreasonable about this idea! I want to swim under fire.

Peegee
09-01-2011, 01:54 PM
1) what kind of oil were you thinking
2) lol what, swimming under? you'll be safe for about 30-50 seconds

you best have some scuba gear

Rantz
09-01-2011, 05:58 PM
America's Got Talent - Professor Splash - Pool of Fire - Semifinals Week 14 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc5n4L-3660)

Del Murder
09-01-2011, 06:17 PM
The only thing you could do wrong would be to take anyone's advice that says you shouldn't do it.

Mercen-X
09-01-2011, 08:31 PM
Go for it! Dork out!

Yar
09-01-2011, 08:39 PM
wtf i dont have cable i dont watch this shit

this guy stole my idea, and he didnt even do it right

im so pissed

Del Murder
09-01-2011, 09:33 PM
Your only choice is to show him how it's done properly.

sharkythesharkdogg
09-01-2011, 10:19 PM
Swimming under flames in a pool of water is cool, I guess.

If you do it in a pool of gasoline, I'll call you a god.

fire_of_avalon
09-02-2011, 12:38 AM
Justy please do not burn to death.

NorthernChaosGod
09-02-2011, 01:10 AM
http://cdn0.knowyourmeme.com/i/000/095/200/original/do_it_faggot.jpg?1295994615

Shlup
09-02-2011, 01:55 AM
Not only has someone else already done it, but this asshole just one-upped you by surfing with fire (http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/style-points/201109/light-brah-flare-surfing-hottest-thing-water).

NorthernChaosGod
09-02-2011, 05:38 AM
That is just a flare attached to a surfboard. :colbert:

Darkswordofchaos
09-02-2011, 06:42 AM
well ive set water on fire before although i didnt swim in it after. any whooo oil isnt very flamable it would take alot and high temp ignition Gasoline on the other hand would still float on the surface and would go up like a match thats what i used to set water on fire.

Christmas
09-02-2011, 06:44 AM
well ive set water on fire before although i didnt swim in it after. any whooo oil isnt very flamable it would take alot and high temp ignition Gasoline on the other hand would still float on the surface and would go up like a match thats what i used to set water on fire.

ME AGREE!!!! HIGH FIVE!!! FIVE HIGH!!! WATER FIRE!!!!

Jiro
09-02-2011, 07:46 AM
You could one up everyone by surfing on water which is on top of fire. get some zero G going and you're all set.

Big D
09-02-2011, 07:54 AM
I have a plan to set a pool of water on fire.

The plan is to put enough oil into the pool, so that there is a thin layer of oil over the entire surface of water. That way, the oil can catch fire, but since it won't mix with water, the water would be ok. And in my "theory" it would be possible to swim under the fire in the water.

Ok scientists, tell me what I'm doing wrong and whyTwo big issues spring to mind:

Firstly, the water will quickly get contaminated with filthy residue of burnt oil.

Secondly, swimming under the fire wouldn't be too bad, but then you'd have to surface for air. You'd get burning oil stuck to your face, hair, etc. Not pleasant, with potential for permanent disfigurement.

If you try to get around this by using a snorkel, then there're further complications: a plastic snorkel could melt or burn, while a metal one would absorb heat. Your lungs wouldn't appreciate either option. If the snorkel's too short, then its opening might be in a layer of oil smoke, so you'd be in the unique but unenviable position of suffocating while underwater.

Doesn't oil and water and fire cause... explosions?Only if you try to extinguish an oil fire by pouring water on it. And it has to be a hot volume of oil, too, - like a pan of cooking oil. A thin layer of oil on a large body of water probably wouldn't be as bad, though it could still be hard to put the fire out with water alone. If you splash water onto one area, the oil'll just float back up and get re-ignited by the flames around it.

Overall, I'd just say that dicking around with fire really isn't a good idea.

Rantz
09-02-2011, 10:15 AM

What could possibly go wrong (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYjalL9_SRI)?

Jiro
09-02-2011, 03:36 PM

I was going to say "this is the only time I have ever disagreed with you ever" but after seeing Rantz's video, I can't help but feel glad that the few times I've accidentally caught on fire weren't as bad as that guy's.

NorthernChaosGod
09-02-2011, 04:14 PM

What could possibly go wrong (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYjalL9_SRI)?
Not as bad, but still stupid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-4OaQ9j7kE)

Del Murder
09-02-2011, 05:15 PM
You guys advice sucks. Except whoever said to use gasoline. To be safe, you should probably use both.

Rebellious Eagle
09-02-2011, 05:27 PM
This reminds me of the time my chemistry teacher told us the story of another teacher who thought it would be fun to drop pure sodium in the school's swimming pool while his class watched...and then the walls blew up and so did the children. Needless to say he never taught another more day.

Darkswordofchaos
09-02-2011, 08:06 PM

worst advice ever!

You guys advice sucks. Except whoever said to use gasoline. To be safe, you should probably use both.

You are welcome. BTW oily gas is great you get the best of both worlds. the flash ignition of gas but keep the slow burning destruction of the oil.

Loony BoB
09-02-2011, 08:53 PM
Justy, I hope you've learned a lot from those YouTube links.

If you're going to fuck around with fire, have a friend around who knows how to put the fire out.

And please. For your sake. For our sake. For everyone's sake. Record the experience.

NorthernChaosGod
09-02-2011, 11:10 PM
This reminds me of the time my chemistry teacher told us the story of another teacher who thought it would be fun to drop pure sodium in the school's swimming pool while his class watched...and then the walls blew up and so did the children. Needless to say he never taught another more day.
Sodium is the second least reactive alkali metal. Did he toss in like 20 pounds? o_O

Pike
09-03-2011, 01:27 AM
Sodium is the second least reactive alkali metal. Did he toss in like 20 pounds? o_O

Seriously at least get some cesium up in there

Rebellious Eagle
09-03-2011, 02:48 AM
Maybe it wasn't sodium but he dropped a pure reactive substance into a pool and BAM.

Darkswordofchaos
09-03-2011, 03:57 AM
Maybe it wasn't sodium but he dropped a pure reactive substance into a pool and BAM.

I like to drop trinitrotoluene in pools full of kids
BOOM

NorthernChaosGod
09-03-2011, 09:58 PM
Your school sounds better than mine was.

Pike
09-03-2011, 11:25 PM

To be fair my school had the exact same sodium story, except that it was dropped into a toilet instead of a pool.

Madame Adequate
09-03-2011, 11:34 PM
That way, the oil can catch fire, but since it won't mix with water, the water would be ok.

the water would be ok.

What... what exactly are you envisioning fire might do to water to render it "not ok"? :Oo:

Yar
09-04-2011, 01:13 AM
make it too warm

blackmage_nuke
09-04-2011, 01:27 AM
You should be fine as long as you wear safety goggles

Jiro
09-04-2011, 02:05 AM
Wear overalls too just in case

Pike
09-04-2011, 02:47 AM
You should be fine as long as you wear safety goggles

You... you mean... there are people out there who aren't ALWAYS wearing safety goggles?

NorthernChaosGod
09-04-2011, 06:54 PM

To be fair my school had the exact same sodium story, except that it was dropped into a toilet instead of a pool.
I think if they had built the pool at my school like they promised, we might have had that story. :mad2:

Pike
09-04-2011, 08:40 PM

I think if they had built the pool at my school like they promised, we might have had that story. :mad2:

They should've built it on the roof. And it should've had a leak.

/references

NorthernChaosGod
09-04-2011, 09:30 PM
/Hackers

Pike
09-05-2011, 03:00 AM
/brofist

TheGlassesGirl
09-05-2011, 03:45 AM
I don't know what possessed you to come up with this brilliantly stupid idea. Do it.

Jiro
09-05-2011, 05:42 AM
There's a new pool at uni, it's huge, I should do something crazy to it like that chemical bomb shit.

NorthernChaosGod
09-05-2011, 07:36 PM
/brofist
http://i52.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/f9i2hf.gif

Del Murder
09-06-2011, 05:40 AM
Have you done this yet? What's taking so long.

qwertysaur
09-06-2011, 05:51 AM

Seriously at least get some cesium up in there
Why stop at cesium? Get some Francium instead. Just a warning though, good luck actually getting some considering how rare it is. :p

My high school Chemistry class also started with blowing up sodium. We only used about 2 grams in a beaker in a fume hood. My teacher wanted to make salt with the sodium and some chlorine gas, but couldn't get the chlorine. :(

Yar
09-06-2011, 05:56 AM
Have you done this yet? What's taking so long.It's been a very cold labor day! I'm not swimming in cold water.

NorthernChaosGod
09-06-2011, 06:12 AM
What about the fire? Fire's warm.

Jiro
09-06-2011, 08:41 AM
Yeah, swim in the fire instead!