PDA

View Full Version : Cunning Linguist

Yar
09-01-2011, 12:04 PM
It's reached the point where I need to speak Japanese to survive my daily life. I work at a Japanese company, major in Japanese at college, and I tutor 2 Japanese boys and their mother in English. Besides that, I spend a large amount of my social life associating with Nihon-jin. Keep in mind I live in Ohio. :| A large portion of the Japanese community in town knows who I am, and boy do I see them around town a lot.

Anyway, do you need to use 2 or more languages in your daily life? What are they? :jess: I wanna learn Spanish.

Martyr
09-01-2011, 12:30 PM
I don't know Spanish and, after years of classes and study, I think I never shall.

However, I need to be able to communicate in some form of Spanish a few times a day, at least. So I piece what crappy anti-skills that I have together and try to make it happen.

Also, if you aren't a closed minded moron with a broken brain (like mine), then come down here, and you'll practically learn Spanish b default. A filthy mind doesn't hurt either.

fire_of_avalon
09-01-2011, 12:42 PM
I can cuss in a whole bunch of languages but I am not even close to being bilingual.

I can say my life would be a lot less interesting without the words schiesse (sp?)I and merde.

Also the title reminds me of Cabaret! Wilkommen, bienvenue, welcome...

Rantz
09-01-2011, 12:47 PM
I speak Swedish and English every day! Swedish is my native tongue, but most people in my social circle - including my girlfriend - don't speak Swedish (yet), so it wouldn't do to forget my English!

Yar
09-01-2011, 01:24 PM
omg Rantz I had to analyze Swedish nouns for linguistics class and all I can say is I HATE SWEDISH :hot: Sorry if this offends you.

Jiro
09-01-2011, 01:33 PM
I'd be better at languages if Australians weren't racist and believed learning foreign languages was useful.

Also the title reminded me of my trivia team, the Cunning Stunts. I didn't name us btw.

Peegee
09-01-2011, 01:51 PM
nihao baca

(hello cabbage)

thought i called you an idiot, did ya? you imperialist

qwertysaur
09-01-2011, 02:25 PM
I can speak English, Spanish and a bit of Mandarin Chinese. Also math. :bigsmile:

.rehtie moorb tegrof t'nac you hO :p

Freya
09-01-2011, 03:20 PM
It's what languages do you have to use guys. Not, which languages do you know.

I only have to use english around here. Lucky me!

Pike
09-01-2011, 04:31 PM
I wish I knew Spanish because it would increase my employ-ability by like 50%...

Anyways I just have to use English around here. Not because there aren't a bunch of Spanish speakers, because there are, but that's when you page for a Spanish speaking employee to come over and deal with it for you.

You guys would be amazed how many people speak Spanish and ONLY Spanish way up here by the Canadian border.

Madame Adequate
09-01-2011, 05:43 PM
I can speak English and Estonian.

Utility of the latter is actually significantly less than zero because nobody knows Estonian. Who has ever had trouble at their jobs because they didn't have knowledge of Estonian or a colleague who does?

Pike
09-01-2011, 06:23 PM
I can speak English and Estonian.

Utility of the latter is actually significantly less than zero because nobody knows Estonian. Who has ever had trouble at their jobs because they didn't have knowledge of Estonian or a colleague who does?

You forgot "some crazy language that is supposedly an Irish accent but that no one can actually understand so it had might as well be a different language"

:troll:

Madame Adequate
09-01-2011, 06:24 PM
No it can be understood, just not by culturally blinkered Americans. :kakapo:

Pike
09-01-2011, 06:26 PM
I AM GOING TO HUH-VER ALL OVER YOUR GRA-M CRACKERS IN SPOKAAAANE

qwertysaur
09-01-2011, 06:52 PM
I do have to use Spanish quite often actually. a lot of people speak it where I live and I have had a couple tutoring clients whose parents spoke only Spanish. :p

My sister is taking Chinese in college now so I can help her practice her speaking when she needs it. :quina:

AngelWings8
09-01-2011, 09:29 PM
Rarely have to speak Mandarin, but when I do need to it's usually because I'm talking to my mother or I'm in Chinatown. And even in Chinatown I try to avoid speaking it because my accent must be disgraceful.

starlet
09-01-2011, 09:31 PM
I read this as something else and got excited.....I am disappoint. :mad:

demondude
09-01-2011, 09:34 PM
I'll be honest, a thread about eating :bou::bou::bou::bou:s has been on the cards for a while now.

Shlup
09-01-2011, 10:58 PM
I need to learn more Japanese. I am such a weeaboo. -_-;

An increasing amount of Spanish is popping up in Southern California. Not as a translation under the English, either, but entire bill boards just in Spanish. Fortunately, I speak pretty good Spanglish. As in, "Well, that word looks like especial, and that means special, so that sign probably means there's a sale. Yay!"

NorthernChaosGod
09-02-2011, 01:17 AM
I have to speak Spanish in Spanish class. I hate it.

Yar
09-02-2011, 01:18 AM
Why do you hate it? (serious question)

NorthernChaosGod
09-02-2011, 01:23 AM
Because Spanish class sucks and the verbs are stupid.

Yar
09-02-2011, 01:47 AM
Spanish verbs aren't stupid. English verbs are just extremely impoverished. :p

Rebellious Eagle
09-02-2011, 02:01 AM
I just need to know English. That's it. I live in New Jersey. Don't need other languages really around here.

Hollycat
09-02-2011, 02:09 AM
When I first saw this title I read cunnilungus.
I did a double take and was gonna warn every post in the thread, then reread what I saw.

Pike
09-02-2011, 02:37 AM
When I first saw this title I read cunnilungus.
I did a double take and was gonna warn every post in the thread, then reread what I saw.

What a terribly uncouth thing to think, HC! I am absolutely sure that no one else on this forum made that connection and that our dear innocent Justy would never start a thread title with that intent! :mymelbert:

Martyr
09-02-2011, 03:39 AM
Because Spanish class sucks and the verbs are stupid.

I'm not entirely sure how to defend this, but I support it!

NorthernChaosGod
09-02-2011, 05:37 AM
Spanish verbs aren't stupid. English verbs are just extremely impoverished. :p
Why are the like 50 versions of the same verb then. :colbert:

Yar
09-02-2011, 06:19 AM
Inflectional morphemes! Romance languages just like to put the tense into the word. We do it with copulas and stuff.

Inflection is probably the hardest thing about Spanish, but once you know how to do it I'm sure you can get used to it. Everything else seems to be relatively easy.

Darkswordofchaos
09-02-2011, 06:44 AM
i speak english and backwoods hillbilly

NorthernChaosGod
09-02-2011, 07:12 AM
Inflectional morphemes! Romance languages just like to put the tense into the word. We do it with copulas and stuff.

Inflection is probably the hardest thing about Spanish, but once you know how to do it I'm sure you can get used to it. Everything else seems to be relatively easy.
At this point I don't even know if you're saying actual words.

Yar
09-02-2011, 07:16 AM
It's okay. just close your eyes and it will all be over soon enough

Peegee
09-02-2011, 09:18 PM

At this point I don't even know if you're saying actual words.

You said you studied 'spanish' in school. Did you learn 'spanish' or 'mexican' ?

NorthernChaosGod
09-02-2011, 11:12 PM
Mexican Spanish. o_O

Mirage
09-03-2011, 12:04 AM
Yeah, english.

Pumpkin
09-03-2011, 12:23 AM
I have to speak 2 languages. I like neither. I wish I could speak Japanese though.

stefan
09-03-2011, 11:04 PM
i thought this was gonna be about cunninlynguists

Kossage
09-04-2011, 09:20 PM
I speak Finnish and Swedish in my daily life (Finland has two official languages, after all, and I happen to live in an area which has quite a big Fenno-Swedish population so you hear the two languages often). I use English online, in university classes and with exchange students, tourists and the occasional foreign customers at work. :)

Mercen-X
09-04-2011, 10:14 PM
I don't know Spanish and, after years of classes and study, I think I never shall.
I also took a Japanese course in college and own an audio... but am no closer to understanding a single thing I hear or read in Japanese. Also Cantonese, Tagalog (because of my mom because of her mom), and German (because of my dad... because of my dad), and I'm trying to learn French because I have a French cousin... whom I only recently got into contact with.

Title reminded me of my trivia team, the Cunning Stunts.
Lol... Blushing Crow.

I'm also creating my own language. I'll let you know how that turns out. In 202020.

Pike
09-05-2011, 03:02 AM
I'm also creating my own language. I'll let you know how that turns out. In 202020.

I started making my own language once. It got absurdly far (as in, I had most of the grammar and conjugations and stuff written out and was well on my way into making up an entire dictionary) before deciding that I didn't want to make a language for the book I was writing after all. Said book ended up getting completely revamped, so it's all good.

TheGlassesGirl
09-05-2011, 04:25 AM
I speak some odd American Midwestern language where "crayon" is pronounced "cran", milk is "melk" and double t's in words are disregarded in pronunciation.

But really, I don't need to speak any other language than English where I live. I speak a little Spanish, but there's hardly a considerable Spanish speaking community here that I would need to communicate with.

EDIT: I almost forgot, in one point in my life, I learned Hawaiian because I used to live in Hawaii. But I was so little that any Hawaiian is long gone from my mind. Hawaiian Pidgin is also important to learn, and something that sticks with you for a while, even if it is a dialect and not a language.

Pike
09-05-2011, 05:14 AM
I speak some odd American Midwestern language where "crayon" is pronounced "cran", milk is "melk" and double t's in words are disregarded in pronunciation.

Wait, that's not how crayon is supposed to be pronounced?

Also, the double tt thing (if you are referring to "kitten", "mitten", etc.) is common throughout the language. It has a special name; I learned it in a linguistics class. I feel smart. :monster:

TheGlassesGirl
09-05-2011, 05:25 AM

Also, the double tt thing (if you are referring to "kitten", "mitten", etc.) is common throughout the language. It has a special name; I learned it in a linguistics class. I feel smart. :monster:
Nope. Some snobby West Coaster told me it's supposed to be "cuh-ray-on." Like how some people pronounce "Koran." Because smurf "cran."

And I've never heard anyone but Midwesterners not pronounce the double t, so I figured that was just our thing. And what would that word be, Mr Smartypartypants? :cool:

Madame Adequate
09-05-2011, 05:35 AM
Funny enough it has a double t in it, it's called a glottal stop.

Jiro
09-05-2011, 05:37 AM
cray-on

TheGlassesGirl
09-05-2011, 05:42 AM
Funny enough it has a double t in it, it's called a glottal stop.
That's one of those doubt t words that I would pronounce like a d instead of tt. Man I am a weirdo. :onoes:

cray-on
Yeah, that too! :monster:

Pike
09-05-2011, 06:09 AM

Nope. Some snobby West Coaster told me it's supposed to be "cuh-ray-on." Like how some people pronounce "Koran." Because smurf "cran."

And I've never heard anyone but Midwesterners not pronounce the double t, so I figured that was just our thing. And what would that word be, Mr Smartypartypants? :cool:

Well I'm a snobby west-coaster and I call it "cran" like everyone else I know here, so tell this other snobby west-coaster person that he or she is sadly misinformed!

Also that's Ms. Smartypartypants to you! Until I become a robot at least! :jess:

And yes, MILF is correct~ although funnily enough I don't believe "glottal stop" is typically pronounced with a glottal stop.

TheGlassesGirl
09-05-2011, 06:13 AM
Well I'm a snobby west-coaster and I call it "cran" like everyone else I know here, so tell this other snobby west-coaster person that he or she is sadly misinformed!

Also that's Ms. Smartypartypants to you! Until I become a robot at least! :jess:

And yes, MILF is correct~

...Until you become a robot? :cool:

Jiro
09-05-2011, 06:19 AM
She's not a complete robot yet.

Pike
09-05-2011, 06:19 AM

And yes, MILF is correct~

...Until you become a robot? :cool:

I am eagerly counting down the days until my planned... operation :hyper:

Yar
09-05-2011, 08:53 AM
And I've never heard anyone but Midwesterners not pronounce the double t, so I figured that was just our thing. And what would that word be, Mr Smartypartypants? :cool:Haha yeah. Like the word button end up being "buh-[stop]-nh"

TheGlassesGirl
09-05-2011, 03:20 PM
And I've never heard anyone but Midwesterners not pronounce the double t, so I figured that was just our thing. And what would that word be, Mr Smartypartypants? :cool:Haha yeah. Like the word button end up being "buh-[stop]-nh"
Bu-un, ki-en, etc. And other double t words end up being a d sound. (chader instead of chatter)

Fynn
09-05-2011, 03:41 PM
I'm bilingual (English and Polish), though not because I need to, it just happened, sorta... I'm studying two philologies at my uni at the mo. That's English and Japanese. I also speak a little German and Spanish. But just a little :)

Bu-un, ki-en, etc. And other double t words end up being a d sound. (chader instead of chatter)
My American phonetics teachers call this a 'tap' or 'flap' :)

NorthernChaosGod
09-05-2011, 08:02 PM
cray-on
Yeah, that's how you pronounce it. Wtf would would there be so much emphasis on the beginning? :confused:

Hollycat
09-09-2011, 05:32 AM
I want everyone to know as per my last post, I didnt even know what that word meant until I googled it 5 minutes ago, I was showing a friend eoff and they misread the title and I thought it was funny

Pike
09-09-2011, 06:13 AM
cray-on
Yeah, that's how you pronounce it. Wtf would would there be so much emphasis on the beginning? :confused:

I asked Hux about this the other day and now we have to add it to the list of words he makes fun of me for. D:

Zeldy
09-09-2011, 01:59 PM
I only speak English. However, I know several words/phrases in Spanish/French, enough for when I go abroad to these places I can understand some things and ask for the bill and stuff. However, living in England there are so many accents which may as well be other languages; I have friend at University who comes from near Newcastle and so speaks geordie, the amount of times on the phone I have to ask her to slow down and repeat it slowly. Her name is Hope, but she says it Hooooooooooooooooooooope in a way that people have mistaken it for Hawk, she also says "why aye" which is incredibly amusing.

Peegee
09-09-2011, 05:38 PM
glottal stop isn't pronounced 'glot-tal' stop?

and wtf is a cran?

cray-on

ahhh
my head

Aluminium.

Pike
09-09-2011, 06:35 PM

Well, in fairness, it comes out more like "gloddle" most of the time

NorthernChaosGod
09-09-2011, 10:04 PM
cray-on

I asked Hux about this the other day and now we have to add it to the list of words he makes fun of me for. D:
D'awww. How big is that list now?

Pike
09-09-2011, 10:20 PM
It's pretty sizable.

>>Quotes out of Context Thread

NorthernChaosGod
09-09-2011, 10:50 PM
Well now I can't go post that there. :doublecolbert:

Peegee
09-09-2011, 11:13 PM

Incorrect pronunciation != alternate pronunciation

Laddy
09-10-2011, 12:51 AM
English. I also speak French well for someone who's only taken two years of it. Which means, not well. For college, I wanna learn something totally useless, like Arabic or Swahili.

Pike
09-10-2011, 02:05 AM

Incorrect pronunciation != alternate pronunciation

I don't recall saying it was a correct or alternate pronunciation...

English. I also speak French well for someone who's only taken two years of it. Which means, not well. For college, I wanna learn something totally useless, like Arabic or Swahili.

I want to learn Swahili just so I can sing Baba Yetu.

Madame Adequate
09-10-2011, 02:38 AM
Arabic is about as far from a useless language as you can get, barring English itself.

qwertysaur
09-10-2011, 02:57 AM
Learn Klingon then. :bigsmile:

Mercen-X
09-10-2011, 08:38 PM
I'm also creating my own language.

I had most of the grammar and conjugations and stuff written out and was well on my way into making up an entire dictionary

I won't bother with that complicated crap. Some languages, like Cantonese, are needlessly complicated, while others are just stupidly complicated. You'll eventually come to understand my language or you won't. I don't care. lol.

Laddy
09-12-2011, 01:31 AM
Arabic is about as far from a useless language as you can get, barring English itself.In Tennessee it is. :bigsmile: