PDA

View Full Version : A Summon Tradition

Wolf Kanno
09-03-2011, 10:09 PM
Going back through the series, one of the more overlooked but amusing traditions in the series has been the FF series taking former bosses and high profile enemies, and making them into summons. Titan, Siren, Typhon, Bomb, Imp, Tonberry, Cauctar, Atmos, Magus Sisters, Yojimbo, and Gilgamesh. So in future FFs, what minor boss or memorable random enemy would you like to see get the Summon treatment in a future installment?

I Don't Need A Name
09-03-2011, 10:52 PM
Let's get a Behemoth summon. It'd be about goddamn time!

Carl the Llama
09-04-2011, 01:46 AM
Any answer other then Malboro is the wrong answer.

Jiro
09-04-2011, 01:55 AM
Has there been an Ahriman? I swear that VI basically made every enemy into an esper. But imagine being a damn floaty eyeball!

qwertysaur
09-04-2011, 04:21 AM
Let's get a Behemoth summon. It'd be about goddamn time!

Any answer other then Malboro is the wrong answer.
Both are in Dissidia actually. :p

Pupu needs to come back! (yes Pupu is in dissidia as well but Pupu needs more elixer)

Slothy
09-04-2011, 04:47 AM
I find it appalling that Ultros hasn't been summonified yet.

qwertysaur
09-04-2011, 06:07 AM
I find it appalling that Ultros hasn't been summonified yet.
Dissidia again :p

Martyr
09-04-2011, 06:36 AM
I've never played Dissidia.
I better come up with something really unusual if I don't want to get Dissidia'd.

I was thinking Kary, but Odin probably does whatever she will. I mean, there aren't really any element or type attacks that aren't covered well enough by plenty of summons to make them unique. Everything's gonna be redundant.

Oh...

Warmech.

Wolf Kanno
09-04-2011, 06:38 AM
Dissidia doesn't count, I'm talking a numbered FF treatment. Like a summon you would like to see in FFXV.

Darkswordofchaos
09-04-2011, 07:08 AM
i wana summon sephiroth

qwertysaur
09-04-2011, 07:15 PM
I've never played Dissidia.
I better come up with something really unusual if I don't want to get Dissidia'd.

I was thinking Kary, but Odin probably does whatever she will. I mean, there aren't really any element or type attacks that aren't covered well enough by plenty of summons to make them unique. Everything's gonna be redundant.

Oh...

Warmech.
Funny thing is Kary is actually a summon in Dissidia as well. :bigsmile:

I'll stop with all the dissidia now. :p

Depression Moon
09-04-2011, 08:30 PM
I think Behemoth and Marlboro would be givens, but I don't actually care if they're made into summons or not. A lot of the enemy summons seem weak or useless like Imp, Bomb, and Chocobo from IV and Tonberry from VIII.

VeloZer0
09-04-2011, 09:44 PM
Chocobo from FF7 was extremely useful. Weakest summon in the game, but imo the most useful. (Provided you don't have Mantra Magic that is....)

I wonder what it would be like if they made the summon job use more pedestrian monsters that you encountered on your journey. You could have your low summons that you can use regularly, and your high powered ones that cost a ton of mana. One of the beefs I have with the summoner job class/skill set is that it lacks a lot of utility for regular encounters. Low cost common monsters could help fill that niche quite well.

Depression Moon
09-05-2011, 01:55 AM
I think that's called a Trainer/Beastmaster.

WhiteStorm
09-06-2011, 04:12 PM
I think that's called a Trainer/Beastmaster.

That job was available only in FF5, right? In Tactics it was an ability that enable you to add monsters you encountered on the field to your party. It was cool, actually ^_^

And I vote for Ultros too!!!

Jessweeee♪
09-06-2011, 04:35 PM
I think they brought it back in FFX-2 Last Mission for Brother.

Fynn
09-06-2011, 05:09 PM
Gabranth! :D

Del Murder
09-06-2011, 06:02 PM
FFXI's Beastmaster allowed you to charm many different types of enemies and they would fight alongside of you. It was a really cool job.

Mandragora has become somewhat iconic for the FF franchise over recent years so I'd like to see that as a summon. There are not enough earth-based summons.

ShinGundam
09-06-2011, 06:44 PM
Iron Giant, Malboro and Gilgamesh. :love:

VeloZer0
09-07-2011, 12:45 AM
It would be somewhat of a synergy of traditional summoner/beastmaster roles. Fitting seeing as neither has ever really stood on their own all that well and are kind of confused.

I would imagine that for something like your low level 'Imp' summon you don't just try to capture an imp in combat, but defeat the king of all imps to gain his powers.

Bolivar
09-07-2011, 04:07 AM
Gilgamesh was one of the best parts of FFVIII especially because he kinda drops an FFV reference at the end of his super bad-ass sequence.

Mideen was also awesome for FFIX.

I'd like to see the arch fiends be made into this. I think the way they pulled it off with Gilgamesh shows that sub-bosses or optional ones like FFVII's weapons are optimal for this role.

It kinda makes me sad FF never really kept this tradition, there's so much room for it :(

Kyros
09-07-2011, 11:03 AM
Terra in her esper form :D

Depression Moon
09-07-2011, 07:46 PM
That would actually be a neat one.

Wolf Kanno
09-08-2011, 10:04 AM
It kinda makes me sad FF never really kept this tradition, there's so much room for it :(

What are you smoking? XIII and XIV (so far) are the only titles that haven't pulled this. Even XII made Zeromus, Chaos, and ExDeath summons. Just about every entry since FFIV has done this. ;)

qwertysaur
09-08-2011, 07:03 PM

What are you smoking? XIII and XIV (so far) are the only titles that haven't pulled this. Even XII made Zeromus, Chaos, and ExDeath summons. Just about every entry since FFIV has done this. ;)
Don't forget Mateus is a reference to The Emperor from FFII and Famfrit as a reference to the Cloud of Darkness from FFIII.

You can also argue Cuchulainn, Belias, Hashmal, and Ultima following the pattern as well. :p

Melodies_of_life
09-09-2011, 12:43 AM
One summon I'd absolutely luf luf for them to bring back is Gilgamesh!

I think it'd be really awesome if they could beef up a Moomba and make that a summon. hahah