PDA

View Full Version : Civilization IV

Laddy
09-04-2011, 05:16 AM
This is the best strategy game ever, IMO.

What are your favorite Civs? I like Mali the most, since it's great for my play style and I have a lot of respect for Mansa Musa. I also enjoy Ethiopia (even better for my play style but Zara's a douchebag, so I wish they choice Axumite Ethiopia instead of the more modern Ethiopia), America under Lincoln, Arabia, England under Elizabeth, Egypt under Hatshepsut Ottomans under Suleiman, and Spain under Isabella.

I favor having high Culture, Technology, and Money, trading it to other players as they murder themselves and I reap profits by selling them soldiers, technology, and other stuff for money and technology. Of course, if I do go to war I quickly amass a large and advanced army in a small time frame due to my high technology and money.

We should Multiplayer sometime! Piiiiike~?

qwertysaur
09-04-2011, 05:57 AM
Whenever I play and Isabella always ends up being a stuck up Buddhist bitch. Whenever an AI Isabella shows up she founds Buddhism within three turns and refuses to convert for any reason at all. I was doing an Earth 18 civ game and all she has was her capital (because I was playing the Greeks and was best friends with the French, English and Germans by converting them all to Judaism so she was stuck in Iberia and way behind in technology, and she never even opened borders with France because of the different religions. xD)

I love getting a great artist and culture bombing cities near my own, getting them to join my civilization without making the leader annoyed at me. I sometimes use that new city to go to war with the civilization it came from.

Also one time barbarians took over an AI civilizations on the first turn. I was very amused and surprised when I got the message that the American civilization was destroyed so early, and later found a nice barbarian Washington DC near quite a lot of rice fields. :p

Jiro
09-04-2011, 12:23 PM
I only briefly played Civ IV once a long time ago but it seems to have a far greater level of depth than Civ V is offering me currently. I should probably find a copy and see what all the fuss is about.

Pike
09-04-2011, 05:23 PM
>mfw I see this topic :hyper:

This is the best strategy game ever, IMO.

A very respectable opinion. I'm torn between this and SMAC, however. But I'm probably biased because SMAC is my favorite game of all time.

We should Multiplayer sometime! Piiiiike~?

I'm terrible at multiplayer Civ but this might not be a bad thing to look into! :o

Whenever I play and Isabella always ends up being a stuck up Buddhist bitch. Whenever an AI Isabella shows up she founds Buddhism within three turns and refuses to convert for any reason at all. I was doing an Earth 18 civ game and all she has was her capital (because I was playing the Greeks and was best friends with the French, English and Germans by converting them all to Judaism so she was stuck in Iberia and way behind in technology, and she never even opened borders with France because of the different religions. xD)

IZZY, MONTY, AND CHARLIE. THOSE CIVS. ARGH MOST FRUSTRATING EVER.

And yet they always end up in my games :(

This 18 civ game of which you speak is something I need to do. I don't know if my computer can handle it, though, which just goes to show how badly I need a new computer. xD

Also one time barbarians took over an AI civilizations on the first turn. I was very amused and surprised when I got the message that the American civilization was destroyed so early, and later found a nice barbarian Washington DC near quite a lot of rice fields. :p

This reminds me of the time I was playing a SMAC mod of Civ (Yes, I play games that combine SMAC and Civ, what of it?) and the mindworms took over one of my cities and filled it with mindworm culture.

JIRO - Play more Civ IV :3

Erryone Else - I dump Civ screenshots on my tumblr (http://pikestaff.tumblr.com/) and also did a Civ let's play on the Hux/Pike Blog (Part One (http://www.theandroidscloset.com/2011/06/pike-plays-civ-pike-plays-civ/), Two (http://www.theandroidscloset.com/2011/06/pike-plays-civ-part-two/), and Three (http://www.theandroidscloset.com/2011/06/pike-plays-civ-finale/).) As you can see, I may or may not be slightly obsessed with this game :excited:

Space Race Victory for great justice, smurf all of you guys I'm going to Alpha Centauri

Remind me later and I'll post the infamous screenshot where Hux launched 200 nukes or something

Madame Adequate
09-04-2011, 05:25 PM
My strategy is NUKES, my favorite leader is URANIUM, my civ is NUKES, and my victory condition is HOW MANY PEOPLE HAVE I NUKED

Pike
09-04-2011, 05:28 PM
My strategy is NUKES, my favorite leader is URANIUM, my civ is NUKES, and my victory condition is HOW MANY PEOPLE HAVE I NUKED

Guys he's not joking

Screenshot taken from a multiplayer game where it was he and I and a couple of AIs

http://www.tumblr.com/photo/1280/9276658591/1/tumblr_lqczjjXCsX1qdg3a3

Edit: Clarification because in some themes the screenshot doesn't display very well; that's -304 "You nuked us" in diplomacy

Madame Adequate
09-04-2011, 05:38 PM
And that's 152 nukes.

And that's terrible. Should have been at least twice that.

Pike
09-04-2011, 05:44 PM
Relevant to the thread's interests. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL6wlTDPiPU)

(Implying I will be posting in any other thread ever again and not just camping this one)

Laddy
09-04-2011, 06:02 PM
What's your fav Civ, Pike?

And good lord I hate Montezuma.

demondude
09-04-2011, 06:05 PM
I can never win a game, but I love getting my arse handed to me. Gandhi is my bff every time.

Laddy
09-04-2011, 06:06 PM
OMG ME TOO! Mansa Musa and Gandhi FOREVER!

Pike
09-04-2011, 08:35 PM
What's your fav Civ, Pike?

It's a toss up between any of the Brits and the Dutch guy. I have a lot of fun with Gilly (Sumeria), Sitting Bull, Lincoln, and Pericles as well.

I have this tendency to beeline for civs with Creative, Philosophical, or Protective traits first and foremost. I usually play a strat that is heavily dependent on Great People, and I like to turtle, and I also like not having to worry about my cultural borders, hence the traits of choice.

I probably play England the most, they're absolutely brutal with early gunpowder + Redcoats + Stock Exchanges for money. Lizzy is OP as all get out and it's glorious.

Slothy
09-04-2011, 09:03 PM

Guys he's not joking

Screenshot taken from a multiplayer game where it was he and I and a couple of AIs

http://www.tumblr.com/photo/1280/9276658591/1/tumblr_lqczjjXCsX1qdg3a3

Edit: Clarification because in some themes the screenshot doesn't display very well; that's -304 "You nuked us" in diplomacy

I can't blame him for nuking as it's the only real way to play Civ when you move into the late game. I find it strangely funny though that he still has a +1 for past events bringing them closer together.

Madame Adequate
09-05-2011, 04:20 AM
Nuking is the only way to play Civ ever. In that game I ended up nuking my own cities because all the enemy's were size 1. I give barbs nukes in the world editor. NUKES FOR EVERYONE!

Pike
09-05-2011, 05:15 AM
Nuking is the only way to play Civ ever. In that game I ended up nuking my own cities because all the enemy's were size 1. I give barbs nukes in the world editor. NUKES FOR EVERYONE!

Remember when Charlie had nukes?

Jiro
09-05-2011, 06:47 AM
I pulled a Hux one time when I was invading a particularly weak force. Just nuked the middle of the battle field, wiping out half my troops as well. Good times.

Pike
09-05-2011, 04:30 PM
One time I got confused by what city belonged to who and nuked Hux like... twice before realizing that I was nuking someone on my team.

He was cool with it.

Madame Adequate
09-05-2011, 06:25 PM
Eh, saved me from having to use my own nukes on them.

qwertysaur
09-06-2011, 05:58 AM
The shiny red button to use nukes is so cute. :bigsmile:

Whenever I feel like using them I try to nuke the city that finishes the UN so they can't try and ban nukes. :p

Pike
09-06-2011, 06:45 AM
Huxley and I are in the middle of a lovely and delightfully trolly game of this right now; we've set it up so it's us vs. our least favorite civs (Charlie, Izzy, and Monty) and we're secretly teamed up and giving each other techs and we plan on nuking the world into a glass wasteland as soon as we are able to~

Slothy
09-06-2011, 07:20 PM
I need to stop reading these threads whenever they come up. As I type this I'm coming towards the end of an 18 civ game. I say I'm near the end not because I'm actually near finishing, but because Rome has wiped out four civs (soon to be five), controls almost all of Europe and Asia, and has the bomb. Sadly, I don't have nearly as many bombs as I'd like so I'm going to do my usual and continue to wipe the floor with my opponents until I have enough to wipe them all out in a blaze of glory and run like hell to Alpha Centauri.

Jiro
09-06-2011, 11:48 PM
Running to Alpha Centauri is the only acceptable answer. Keep Rome at bay as long as possible!

Pike
09-07-2011, 12:27 AM
The correct way to play Civ:

>Begin destroying the world
>Fly off to Alpha Centauri riiiiight before you can finish
>Quit Civ, load up SMAC, start new game to "continue" from where you left off

Slothy
09-07-2011, 12:47 AM
Running to Alpha Centauri is the only acceptable answer. Keep Rome at bay as long as possible!

I guess I wasn't really clear enough in my last post. I am Rome, and Caesar will see his enemies dead at his feet in the burnt out wastes of this world before leaving for Alpha Centauri where my descendants can do the same thing to their enemies.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
09-07-2011, 04:28 AM
I have never played one of these before, but I just got Civ V.

Here is to hoping it is fun. :kakapo:

qwertysaur
09-07-2011, 04:32 AM

I guess I wasn't really clear enough in my last post. I am Rome, and Caesar will see his enemies dead at his feet in the burnt out wastes of this world before leaving for Alpha Centauri where my descendants can do the same thing to their enemies.
Now I am really happy because I'm pretty sure the four civ's you already crushed included Isabella. :bigsmile:

Also you took out Louie, Fredrick, possibly Lizzie and working on Alexander I guess. :p All those civ's start on top of each other so it's easy to trap them in Europe and overrun them. :p

Jiro
09-07-2011, 04:38 AM

Well shit, keep up the good work son! :up:

Slothy
09-07-2011, 04:49 AM
Now I am really happy because I'm pretty sure the four civ's you already crushed included Isabella. :bigsmile:

Also you took out Louie, Fredrick, possibly Lizzie and working on Alexander I guess. :p All those civ's start on top of each other so it's easy to trap them in Europe and overrun them. :p[/B][/COLOR]

Actually, despite a long standing hatred for Isabella and the French the only five that started near me who's felt my wrath was Frederick. The others were all the same religion as me and mostly kissing my ass over everything I did the whole game so I left them alone while I killed the Germans, swept over to Russia and now down through Asia. Luckily, all of the other European civs seem crippled by how stuningly awesome I am and haven't expanded much (though Louis and Lizzie are trying). Rest assured that I will sweep over them quickly in a massive betrayal right before the end. A betrayal likely telegraphed by mass nukings.

Madame Adequate
09-07-2011, 05:02 AM

You chose literally the worst one. :(

qwertysaur
09-07-2011, 05:06 AM

Also you took out Louie, Fredrick, possibly Lizzie and working on Alexander I guess. :p All those civ's start on top of each other so it's easy to trap them in Europe and overrun them. :p

Actually, despite a long standing hatred for Isabella and the French the only five that started near me who's felt my wrath was Frederick. The others were all the same religion as me and mostly kissing my ass over everything I did the whole game so I left them alone while I killed the Germans, swept over to Russia and now down through Asia. Luckily, all of the other European civs seem crippled by how stuningly awesome I am and haven't expanded much (though Louis and Lizzie are trying). Rest assured that I will sweep over them quickly in a massive betrayal right before the end. A betrayal likely telegraphed by mass nukings.
It's not betrayal, it's giving the gift of ICBM's. Not your fault that launching them is the fastest method of delivery. :bigsmile:

Pike
09-07-2011, 05:07 AM

In fairness I've noticed that people who have never played Civ before tend to enjoy V... but yeah, definitely look into IV if you can! :3 I've played both and find IV to be more enjoyable, and most Civvers consider IV to be the best of the series. :monster:

Jiro
09-07-2011, 06:01 AM
Civ V is way scaled back to make it more accessible. It works, it definitely definitely works. But I'm gonna have to find IV and play it to get some cred.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
09-07-2011, 08:59 AM

Srsly? The others must be great because I am hooked.

Pike
09-07-2011, 04:30 PM

Srsly? The others must be great because I am hooked.

Considering that IV and SMAC (basically a sci-fi redo of II, at its core) are widely considered to be the greatest 4X games ever made... yes. Yes, the others are great. And even that is a bit of an understatement. :monkey:

I am glad you are enjoying Civ, however!

Madame Adequate
09-07-2011, 05:23 PM
Sulla time?

Sulla time.

What Went Wrong? (http://www.garath.net/Sullla/Civ5/whatwentwrong.html)

Laddy
09-07-2011, 09:06 PM
Alright guys, I;m going to try to get an EoFF game going this weekend online.

Who's interested? For the sake of ease, let me know what Civ you're playing.

1. Laddy - Mali

Slothy
09-07-2011, 10:21 PM
I've never played multiplayer Civ IV before. Largely because I suck. That said, I am down for this if I'm available when the game is this weekend. I generally play as the Japanese.

Laddy
09-07-2011, 11:17 PM
1. Laddy - Mali
2. Vivi22 - Japan

And if needed, post your leader.

Pike
09-08-2011, 12:26 AM
For the record, the only way Huxley and I can get multiplayer to work properly is through an external network program (such as Hamachi), and even so there are frequent "Out of Sync" errors which can only be solved by having one person exit and re-enter the game. This usually happens during the middle of the game, when these errors have occasionally become so frequent that we'll be leaving/rejoining the game every five turns or so.

Not trying to rain on any parades or anything, of course! Just pointing out to anyone who hasn't played multiplayer Civ IV before that there are sometimes issues that you've just gotta slog through. If you're willing to do that, you're golden.

I Took the Red Pill
09-08-2011, 12:35 AM
I'm not sure if I consider Civ III or Civ IV the superior game. Both are amazing and I think I've put more time into IV but something about CivIII burrowed itself deep into my heart.

also, America and Persia are my favorite Civs, but it is also lots of fun to play as China solely to roll around in the irony of building the Statue of Liberty in the People's Republic.

Madame Adequate
09-08-2011, 12:36 AM
Yes, if you want to multiplayer Civ you will get intimately acquainted with OoS errors. The main reason me and Pike don't play it and nothing else is because they get some tiresome and tedious that we give up.

Pike
09-08-2011, 12:52 AM
also, America and Persia are my favorite Civs, but it is also lots of fun to play as China solely to roll around in the irony of building the Statue of Liberty in the People's Republic.

My favorite Statue of Liberty trick:

Switch to slavery and sacrifice as many people as possible to build it. Dat irony.

I enjoy building the ultimate symbol of freedom with the bones of my populace.

Madame Adequate
09-08-2011, 06:04 AM
I just nuked every single tile in the Spanish empire. Every. Last. One.

Pike
09-08-2011, 06:09 AM
I just nuked every single tile in the Spanish empire. Every. Last. One.

It was amazing.

We set it up so it was he and I vs. Charlie, Izzy, and Monty and by the end only Izzy was left and she was not the happiest camper in the world.

Screenshot from the game:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a109/Pikestaff/screenshots/Civ_250Nukes.png (http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a109/Pikestaff/screenshots/Civ_250Nukes.png)

-500 "You Nuked Us", i.e. 250 nukes.