PDA

View Full Version : First day of college.

KentaRawr!
09-06-2011, 12:21 PM
I woke up at four and my classes today are Essentials of Public Address and European History: 14th to 18th Centuries. Both classes are two hours long. I'm doomed.

So, how's college goin' for ya?

Faris
09-06-2011, 12:39 PM
Today is my first day back and I have to cross a picket line, start stressing over the vast amount of projects involved in my program and my extra curricular's work load. Bring it on :D

Jiro
09-06-2011, 12:46 PM
8am start in the morning and straight into three hours of politics. Other than that, 's cool

Laddy
09-06-2011, 12:48 PM
I'm in high school, you meanies. :sad:

Rye
09-06-2011, 01:13 PM
On Monday, Wednesdays and Fridays, I have to be in my class at 8:30 am. Being that I'm a commuter, and my commute can take up to an hour, this is awful.

The other two days, my class starts at 11:20 am, which is much better. But then I have a 3 hr break between that class and my final class, which doesn't end until 5:20 pm, so I'm driving home in massive traffic. .___.

The classes themselves this semester are great, the schedule is a little painful though.

Pumpkin
09-06-2011, 01:41 PM
I had to come in at 8am today when my class doesn't start until 6pm cuz the stupid school is on strike and I have to get here before 3pm to get my student ID so I can get my discount bus pass. The last bus leaves at 8am then at 2pm and if I take the 2pm one then I get here at 3:10 which is too late.

I hate my crappy town.

Jiro
09-06-2011, 02:53 PM
commute can take up to an hour

ugh, yeah I forgot that. My trip is 40min one way on average. When everybody drives like a normal person it takes about half an hour. It has taken over an hour before though :(

Yar
09-06-2011, 03:57 PM
All my classes are after 2pm :bigsmile:. Japanese is 6 hours a week wtf.Where you going to school kentarou?

Jessweeee♪
09-06-2011, 04:13 PM
Awful! College advisors are my nemeses. I was dropped the day I registered, so no classes for me this semester. I was looking forward to school after a year-long break.

Pike
09-06-2011, 04:37 PM
European History: 14th to 18th Centuries.

EUROPA UNIVERSALIS 3: THE CLASS

YES I AM JEALOUS

*coughs*

Anyways I got my Bachelor's Degree in '07 and haven't been back to school since. I'd really like to go back. Maybe if things go well with saving up money this year...

NorthernChaosGod
09-06-2011, 04:38 PM
I feel better about my commute now. It only takes like 25 minutes from the time I leave my house until I'm parked and walking on campus to my class already. :bigsmile:

Also, I've been in school since the 15th. :mad2:

Awful! College advisors are my nemeses. I was dropped the day I registered, so no classes for me this semester. I was looking forward to school after a year-long break.
Why were you dropped? :(

Rye
09-06-2011, 05:53 PM
I'm jelly! .___.

My plan is to be graduated by the end of August, so hopefully in a year from now this commute hassle will be a thing of the past.

Jessweeee♪
09-06-2011, 07:57 PM
I feel better about my commute now. It only takes like 25 minutes from the time I leave my house until I'm parked and walking on campus to my class already. :bigsmile:

I had a block saying I couldn't register until I saw an advisor. Due to my work schedule leaving me a one hour window to see an advisor, and advisors not wanting to do anything an hour before closing, I didn't actually get to see one until the payment deadline. So I show up an hour before closing that day, and I'm like "hey dude, I just need this block to go away okay?" and he's like "yup, all clear hey let me help you pick classes" and this has always always turned out bad, but I had the degree plan right in front of me and knew exactly what I wanted to take, so I figure nothing can go wrong. But something did! I asked the advisor to register me for two classes. Neither of them were valid. One had been canceled, and one...I don't know what happened there. The printout showed the correct class, online it showed some other class in the department that I was not eligible for. I can only assume the catalog is fucked up. So when he clicked register, instead it registering, it was actually like, "whoops! You can't take those classes, but we'll save them to a 'preferred list' for you anyway." I don't know if he didn't know or just neglected to tell me, but I went home without knowing this. I get on the computer, see I have half an hour left to pay, and when I bring up my account, I see that I owe nothing. And that isn't right. I mean, it's college. So then I see what's up, and try to register for different classes, and I find one, one class that is on my degree plan, isn't full or canceled, and fits my work schedule, register it, and whoops half hour is up.

But I guess it's my fault for not getting assertive early on :(

Yar
09-06-2011, 08:26 PM
I love my commute. It's only a 3 block away from my apartment! :love:

qwertysaur
09-06-2011, 08:32 PM
My schedule is all over this semester. Mondays start at 2 and ends at 8 at night with a 2 hour break. Tuesdays and Thursday are from 11 until 2:30, though after 1 it's work and if nobody shows up it's like free time. Wednesdays are 9:45 to 3:30 with a long break between classes that I use to do some homework or goof of. Friday is from 9:45 until 11.

I walk from campus to my house. It's 25 minute and it's quite relaxing. If I get a ride it's a 3 minute drive. :D

Parker
09-06-2011, 09:42 PM
I have to commute for anything from an 1hr15mins to 2hrs each way to uni because I do not drive. My monday has an 8am start and a 6pm finish with a massive gap in the middle. I bet I post a suicide thread one monday next year.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
09-06-2011, 09:57 PM
I don't go to college. :smug:

NorthernChaosGod
09-06-2011, 09:59 PM

I had a block saying I couldn't register until I saw an advisor. Due to my work schedule leaving me a one hour window to see an advisor, and advisors not wanting to do anything an hour before closing, I didn't actually get to see one until the payment deadline. So I show up an hour before closing that day, and I'm like "hey dude, I just need this block to go away okay?" and he's like "yup, all clear hey let me help you pick classes" and this has always always turned out bad, but I had the degree plan right in front of me and knew exactly what I wanted to take, so I figure nothing can go wrong. But something did! I asked the advisor to register me for two classes. Neither of them were valid. One had been canceled, and one...I don't know what happened there. The printout showed the correct class, online it showed some other class in the department that I was not eligible for. I can only assume the catalog is fucked up. So when he clicked register, instead it registering, it was actually like, "whoops! You can't take those classes, but we'll save them to a 'preferred list' for you anyway." I don't know if he didn't know or just neglected to tell me, but I went home without knowing this. I get on the computer, see I have half an hour left to pay, and when I bring up my account, I see that I owe nothing. And that isn't right. I mean, it's college. So then I see what's up, and try to register for different classes, and I find one, one class that is on my degree plan, isn't full or canceled, and fits my work schedule, register it, and whoops half hour is up.

But I guess it's my fault for not getting assertive early on :(
That had to have been so frustrating. I'm sorry. :(

09-06-2011, 10:14 PM
Where do you go NCG? I've been thinking of trying to go to National University because they are supposed to be really military friendly and will work with me. Plus I think I can get classes on base. Or online.

Pike
09-07-2011, 12:17 AM
Back when I was still in school my longest day was one that stretched from 8am until 10pm. No, really, I had classes that went until 10pm. Fortunately that one only happened once a week, and I was about a ten minute drive from my house. (I grew up in a university town :3 )

NorthernChaosGod
09-07-2011, 12:50 AM
Where do you go NCG? I've been thinking of trying to go to National University because they are supposed to be really military friendly and will work with me. Plus I think I can get classes on base. Or online.
Right now I'm taking classes at Southwestern.

Shlup
09-07-2011, 12:57 AM
I finished college four years ago. I've been unemployed for half of that time.

(Well, I still sub, but that doesn't count.)

Pumpkin
09-07-2011, 01:04 AM
I just got out early AGAIN. All of my teachers so far have said that they don't obligate the taking of notes. One of my manuels the teacher said we dont even have to get it. I have 2 projects and three exams. We have like a week to read a chapter in a book. And according to the class guide, it's going to be like that all semester. THATS IT. Where the frig is the super strict college I was promised back in High School??? This is crap.

Shlup
09-07-2011, 01:08 AM
"Crap"?? College is awesome!! I love the "Do what you want, here's what I expect you to learn, test is this day, peace out," nature of college. I barely graduated high school, but finished college with a 3.8GPA.

09-07-2011, 01:15 AM

Ah, so your a Jaguar. Fun fun. I couldn't go there, way to far south for me. I am pretty much limited to Grossmont, National, Mesa, or Miramar. I am gonna see about getting into classes in November, since I am gonna be detached to another base for October.

Shiny
09-07-2011, 01:19 AM
My commute is going to blow since I wasn't able to secure an apartment closer to the school, and right now don't feel like looking anymore for one. I am both excited and horrified for my last year of uni (unless of course I go for my Masters in something).

NorthernChaosGod
09-07-2011, 01:25 AM

Ah, so your a Jaguar. Fun fun. I couldn't go there, way to far south for me. I am pretty much limited to Grossmont, National, Mesa, or Miramar. I am gonna see about getting into classes in November, since I am gonna be detached to another base for October.
Haha. Unfortunately I am. I hear good things about Grossmont, I have quite a few friends going there because they don't like SWC. xD

KentaRawr!
09-08-2011, 01:30 AM
Commuting from home blows chunks. Classes today ended at 3:55. Got home at 6:00. :(

blackmage_nuke
09-08-2011, 02:06 AM
I still havent been offered drugs or been in a food fight so disapointing.

NorthernChaosGod
09-08-2011, 02:57 AM
Want some special brownies?

Raistlin
09-08-2011, 03:05 AM
College ended two years ago for me, and I actually like my law school schedule. Tomorrow is my hell day, though, with classes from 11:30-8:30, but it could be worse.

My commute is about 10-15 minutes. Get your own place, losers.

"Crap"?? College is awesome!! I love the "Do what you want, here's what I expect you to learn, test is this day, peace out," nature of college. I barely graduated high school, but finished college with a 3.8GPA.

I miss college workloads. :(

blackmage_nuke
09-08-2011, 10:09 AM
Want some special brownies?

Only if you throw them at me from across the cafeteria

NorthernChaosGod
09-08-2011, 02:59 PM
Done and done.

/throws brownies at everyone

qwertysaur
09-08-2011, 03:39 PM
Done and done.

/throws brownies at everyone
Chocolate sign, brownie rain.

NorthernChaosGod
09-08-2011, 06:36 PM
Brownie rain, some stay dry and others feel the pain

Zeldy
09-09-2011, 01:33 AM
College = University, right? In England they're separate things.

Anyway, I'm going to be going into second year of University, although I'm waiting on re-sit results because I maaaaajjjjjjjjorly screwed up, but I've already been told by the head of department that I'm through; however my desperate plea to be allowed to drop Sociology and Criminology joint honours in order to pick up a full Criminology degree was denied, WOE. It's the Sociology I screwed up!

But yeah, move into my student house in a week or so, then it's FRESHER'S WEEK! then lectures. love love LOVE freshers week, getting ridiculously drunk every single night.

Melodies_of_life
09-09-2011, 01:44 AM
College ended two years ago for me, and I actually like my law school schedule. Tomorrow is my hell day, though, with classes from 11:30-8:30, but it could be worse.

My commute is about 10-15 minutes. Get your own place, losers.

I miss college workloads. :(

I know how you feel. I graduated this past may and its kind of weird not to be going back... and kind of a let down because just about everyone I know is still in college. :/

Rebellious Eagle
09-09-2011, 02:15 AM

Jiro
09-09-2011, 03:00 AM
College = University, right?

That's what I always wanted to know :confused:

qwertysaur
09-09-2011, 03:35 AM

Yes. :p

Zeldy
09-09-2011, 04:17 AM
The confusion is due to the fact that, in England, after high school, you have two years at college and only then do you go to University. You guys just do it all in high school. College was neat, we didn't have to wear uniform and had days off, free periods, kinda like a Uni experience but not as hard and also freeeeee.

Jiro
09-09-2011, 06:43 AM
College is (generally) on-campus accommodation here :greenie:

Zeldy
09-09-2011, 11:45 AM
You can either live on campus, off campus or commute here. I live in the town centre in a student house.

Pike
09-09-2011, 04:02 PM

Sort of...

Smaller institutions that don't have as many classes or students tend to be called colleges, while the bigger fancier ones are called university. But you can go to either after high school and for a lot of people the terms are pretty much interchangeable (well, university gets called "college", the other way around not so much.)

NorthernChaosGod
09-09-2011, 09:44 PM
There, there. You'll get there soon enough.

crashNUMBERS
09-10-2011, 07:06 AM
ahh man, I have western civ at 9 this morning and its already 2am. I should get going soon

EDIT: Zeldy's description of college just sounds like a community college

Pike
09-10-2011, 09:14 PM
civ at 9

I thought this was about Civ at first.

I like how I think EVERYTHING on the forum is related to a videogame

NorthernChaosGod
09-10-2011, 11:30 PM
Well now I know I'm going to say that I'm off to level up every time I go to the gym from now on.

Kokichi
09-10-2011, 11:53 PM
I do that, but then there are over-leveled guys that want to roll up in my area of leveling.

So now I just go to practice mode in my room every other day.

My classes have been Ez for two years. Once I get into my major, fml.