PDA

View Full Version : Resistance 3

Shaibana
09-07-2011, 07:23 PM
im actualy considering to get resistence 3.. just becaus it has playstation move ...
Got playstation move for my birthday and so far i can only play killzone 3 with it!!
>: ( i need more GOOD playstation move games!! at the moment the controlers are just gathering dust :(

Bolivar
09-07-2011, 07:33 PM
I thought Resistance 1 was alright but Resistance 2 was one of my favorite games of 2008. I played the Beta for this.

The problem is that there's just too many phenomenal shooters out (and coming out (BF3 next month!)) to justify messing with Resistance anymore. Insomniac has been given plenty of chances and the polish, progression, gameplay, matches, matchmaking, and mechanics just don't cut it. If you're not gonna come hard, don't bother coming at all. This game has gotten incredible reviews so far, so maybe the story is something else. The campaign does look pretty interesting. But for $60 it better have a damn good multiplayer to keep me going, especially with Battlefield 3 and Modern Warfare 3 coming out.

So if you're looking for a shooter, you'd be better off with either of those.

If you're looking for good move games, it depends on what you like. You might want to check out SOCOM 4 since you said you played Killzone 3 with it; Zipper are just about the kings of tactical shooters. John Daly's Pro Stroke golf is actually an amazing title, but I know we don't have too many fans of sports games on this site. Virtua Tennis 4 is coming out soon as well and looks pretty nice. Have you tried the PlayStation Store? They have an entire section dedicated to Move enabled games and some of them are pretty damn good.

I just can't recommend R3 as a serious shooter fan.

Shaibana
09-07-2011, 07:57 PM
I dont like those kind of shooters at all actualy. but i 'grew up' with Killzone so thats an exeption to it.

other standart first person shooters wont keep me long at it..
i actualy have Battlefield 1. played it an hour and now its collecting dust.
my dad once ordered that new Medal of Honor, but he bought it for ps3 by mistake so he gave it to me... i think i played it a good 3 hours though. now this one is also collecting dust.

those standart war shooters really dont interest me. i think its mostly the anonymity that bothers me...
if i dont like the character, than i dont like the game. and playing it as 'soldier nr.16' really doesnt cut it for me.

Dont bother recomending sport/family games either xD.
it really bothers me that there is almost nothing for 'the real gamer' on PSM.

Slothy
09-07-2011, 08:08 PM
I thought Resistance 1 was alright but Resistance 2 was one of my favorite games of 2008.

I was almost the exact opposite of this. I really liked Resistance 1, thought it was a solid enough shooter and a good first outing for Insomniac, only for them to follow it with what is probably one of the worst FPS titles I've ever played. I hated the second one. Absolutely hated it. Terrible pacing, terrible gameplay, terrible level design. The online mode was decent (competitive anyway, co-op was a pretty big let down), but there are so many that do online better that there wasn't much redemption for it to find there.

Is the online beta for 3 still going on? I'd be willing to at least give it a shot as long as I'm not paying for it, but the second game was so bad I would just write the series off otherwise. I actually downloaded the beta too, but haven't taken the time to try it yet.

Pete for President
09-08-2011, 11:41 AM
Just got this game as a thank you gift for lending a pilot costume to someone for a TV programme. Too many details? Alright let's talk Resistance.

Popped it in. Had to wait. Where did the days go when you could just play a game as soon as you put the disc in the console? First update. 656 mb. Seriously guys, already? The game hasn't been out for even a day. Installing takes it time too.

Bolivar
09-08-2011, 09:52 PM
Just got this game as a thank you gift for lending a pilot costume to someone for a TV programme. Too many details? Alright let's talk Resistance.

Popped it in. Had to wait. Where did the days go when you could just play a game as soon as you put the disc in the console? First update. 656 mb. Seriously guys, already? The game hasn't been out for even a day. Installing takes it time too.

That's a shame, I think R2 only had like a 50mb file it had to set up for some data. It was kinda the first game in Sony's first party initiative to have games with no installs to show you don't need to compensate for Blu Ray's slower read speeds.

MAG had a similar day one patch, because, like Resistance, they ran a beta almost up to the release of the game so they had tons of stuff to fix before launch.

SO HOW IS IT?

Bolivar
09-09-2011, 12:35 AM
NEW POST THAT ADDS A DIFFERENT IDEA THAN THE ONE ABOVE IT!

So I checked the PlayStation Store and there's a lot of stuff there you might want to check out for Move Content. One is Tumble - it's a really neat Puzzle game that deals with blocks that shows off how insanely precise the PlayStation Move is. It's a pretty great and somewhat innovative title.

Another cool game is Dead Space: Extraction. You don't need to be into the series - it's a prequel. It's a rail shooter, but I was incredibly surprised at how compelling they actually made it. There's a lot of cool quirks to the game and there's some stuff where your jaw drops because they're actually trying to make a serious story and gameplay experience out of a rail shooter. It's pretty cool.

Echochrome II is out, which is another big puzzle game in a series that's gotten a lot of acclaim. i got to play a demo of it at PAX 2010, and it's kind of insane how it plays with light.

Lastly, I'm not sure if you already had a PS Eye and just got the controller or if you bought the Starter bundle but Sports Champions actually is pretty damn good. Not only does it use some of the more alternative sports but the production quality is pretty damn insane. It looks beautiful and it's probably taken the most advantage of my surround sound system than any other PS3 game I played. It's like Wii Sports for grownups.

Anyway, there's currently 24 PlayStation Move demos available in the store. See if you like anything there. Also check for what people highly recommend. Google is your friend.

Pete for President
09-09-2011, 08:28 AM

That's a shame, I think R2 only had like a 50mb file it had to set up for some data. It was kinda the first game in Sony's first party initiative to have games with no installs to show you don't need to compensate for Blu Ray's slower read speeds.

MAG had a similar day one patch, because, like Resistance, they ran a beta almost up to the release of the game so they had tons of stuff to fix before launch.

SO HOW IS IT?

First, let me clarify: I'm not that much of a sci-fi shooter fan and I get even less excited about horror elements. But here's what I think of it so far.

First of all; the atmosphere is brilliant. The weather outside indicating an autumnish season feels very much alive. Ofcourse pretty much everything in the environment is in rubble and it really does feel like mankind has to throw everything it's got to survive. Or at least, that's the idea you get in the cutscenes. Through gameplay it's quite the opposite: playing on normal difficulty you and the cast sometimes seem to have little trouble shooting a way through hordes and hordes of Chimera. Quite an odd contradiction. However, this brings me to the next awesome bit: the weapons. They've all been awesome thusfar. Guns are very original and each brings a primary and secondary fire, which gives the player a lot of creativity on how to play the game. And mostly kill things. Yay!

Finally: the pacing. They've done a really good job bringing variety in everything: from weapons to enemies and from locations to personalities, all aspects seem polished and well structured. Even though I dislike the horror-influenced stuff, I do want to see what epic stuff this game has I store.

Oh and last but not least: I went online and was a total noob. The atmosphere thing counts here as well though. It's one of the first games I've played where I could wear I can smell the snow or autumn leaves.

Anywho, final verdict: it's pretty awesome, I can imagine this will tickle a lot of itchy triggerfingers of players looking for a shooter with an excellent setting and backstory instead of the usual big brawl types fighting eachother over who has the biggest armpits featuring another middle east insurgency invasion. Resistance 3 has a lot more brains than that.

Shaibana
09-09-2011, 03:05 PM
if you have playstation move, than you also have the camera..
u cant play without the camera ;)
about Dead space: No thanks im not into that kind of horror games.
ill check the others!!

Bolivar
09-10-2011, 05:09 AM
if you have playstation move, than you also have the camera..
u cant play without the camera ;)

Haha no I just meant this in relation to Sports Champions. I know a lot of people who already had the PlayStation Eye so they just bought the controller. But for most Move users, you needed to buy them both at the same time and Sports Champions came in the bundle to do so. So I'm not sure if you have the game or not :confused:

Glad to hear R3 is pretty good. I like the fact that with each iteration the state of humanity gets worse and worse. It's not that "everything's messed up, but the good guys score a huge win at the end!!!" You don't score the huge wins. And when you start the next game, things are dramatically worse. I love how very soon into R2 you see San Francisco burning to the ground with an immense armada of enemy ships flying above it. Classic PS3 moment. As I may have hinted before, it seems like they really nailed the SP. But for an FPS addict like me idk if the MP is up to the best in class and that'd be a big issue for me to buy the game so close after launch or not. But glad to hear it's solid so far :)

Shaibana
09-10-2011, 11:14 AM
ya i problably do have sport champions but thats just a demo.

Dreddz
09-10-2011, 02:21 PM
Resistance Fall of Man was one of the first games I played on my PS3 and for 2006 (or early 2007 for me) it was definitely up there as one of the best FPS's available. It had a decent sized campaign and Insomniac nailed the feel of the movement and guns (something which goes unnoticed in my opinion) which made the game fun throughout.

Resistance 2 was made a bit slap dash. It clearly needed more time to be polished. The campaign felt noticeably weaker than Fall of Man. That being said, the gameplay was still first class and the multiplayer was improved so, as a whole, it was a decent game. If only for the multiplayer.

From what I gather Resistance 3 has an improved campaign from Resistance 2. Happy to know that Insomniac have their priorities straight. They really need to emphasize the horror element from the series. What the first two games did really well was horror. Insomniac should play to their strength's and make a full on horror fps title. At the moment they really haven't given the series a unique identity. They aren't sure if they want it to be Halo or not. Still, I'm excited to get around to Resistance 3 whenever that may be.

Bolivar
09-10-2011, 10:28 PM
The reason I didn't like R1 as much was because it seemed to repeat the same handful of scenarios over and over again for far too long of a game. Every level took place in either a field, a town, or the alien structures and the individual firefights were really predictable. R2's campaign was colorful, and did a great job of mixing in really small horror moments with incredibly large tactical warzones. Chicago stands out as emblematic of the game and one of the best shooter missions I've ever played. You start off with four buddies trying to hold back swarms of zombie-like chimera in the streets, then guide your buddy across the street as you each take turns sniping and covering the other one as you advance. You go through a hotel with limited light taking a shotgun to more zombies, until you come out on the bridge - where it's all out WWIII between Chimera and humans. That was a moment where Insomniac really showed how much stuff you can have going on at one time on the PS3, in-game and not just in the background.

I never tried the multiplayer from R1, but after scraping the bottom of the pot for what R2 had to offer, I wouldn't be surprised if the setting and mechanics actually made it a better game. Many have said R3 combines the best elements of the first two games so it sounds like they have a real winner on their hands for it.

Dreddz
09-11-2011, 05:42 PM
The one thing Resistance had that so few games have these days is a great premise. The delivery of the story has been shaky but the world Resistance occupies is one of the most fully realized sci-fi settings on this generation of consoles.

I think both Killzone and Resistance share this problem. The idea's put into these game's worlds and the characters occupying them are great but they just can't quite nail the story going on within it. Seeing as Insomniac have said that this may be the last Resistance they do I hope they put the effort in to tell a great story. Normally I wouldn't care but there is such potential there that they really should try harder.

Bolivar
09-12-2011, 01:32 AM
Agreed, they both have awesome settings but the game's don't always do a great job of explaining why you're going from one location to the next it's kinda just the roller coaster ride and you just gotta buckle in and enjoy it. I liked the interaction among Echo Team in R2 and Killzone always has amazing performances from the villains but the rest could be a lot more fleshed out.

Loony BoB
09-12-2011, 05:11 PM
I played R1 with Danielle due to the co-op campaign. It was amazingly fun. I adore playing co-op games with Danielle, we both click really well with them. But yeah, R2? No co-op campaign. Gutting. Played it anyway. It was... okay. But the real fun for gameplay for me came with the co-op aspect of it, and that had gone, and it was a let-down. R3 has it. I have R3. :) I look forward to playing it, probably later this week as I'm heavily into my Oblivion game at the moment and Danielle is pretty into her Sims 3 game, too.

And yeah, the gun types and the setting have always appealed to me. I'm glad that the atmosphere has improved and I'm glad that pretty much everything I liked better about R1 (as opposed to R2) has returned in R3.

Pete for President
09-15-2011, 11:34 PM
Finished it today. As I've said before I don't like the horror elements, but the single player campaign was very polished and varied. If you dig the horror stuff, you'll probably be on the edge of your seat all the way through.

Can't get my head around the multiplayer though. What's the point of all this? The game doesn't motivate teamwork and it doesn't make us care about whether we win or lose. Sure, there are some rewards, but it doesn't feel like there's anything at stake. After a match it just says: your team is victorious. That's it. Hardly any audio feedback in game and just... well like I said, the game doesn't motivate participating. The weapons are fun to mess around with though.

Note: mostly played team deathmatch and none of my friends own this game. I can imagine objective based games being a lot of fun when you team up with some friends combining various weapon/ability setups.

Loony BoB
09-16-2011, 11:37 AM
Playing the co-op campaign, I must say I do like that both players can log in (something PS3 games do not often allow, much to the distaste of Danielle and myself - X360 almost always allows you both to log in, so I don't see why so many PS3 games do not) and also that the NPCs in the game acknowledge both of us by our charater names rather than just the 'lead'. Also, we have decided that we are both married to Susan in a threesome relationship and our wife is pretty hot. We're pretty happy with ourselves. So far we've not gone too far into the game, though. Maybe a couple of hours.