PDA

View Full Version : 3DS Second Analog Nub Confirmed (Pics Inside)

Bolivar
09-07-2011, 07:41 PM

It's real.

Basically it's like a cradle you put your 3DS into. I heard it plugs into the charger port so apparently you won't be able to charge or switch out the game cart while you're using this. It's being introduced for Monster Hunter Tri G, much like the Classic Controller Pro was for the Wii. Because this juts out to the right and no longer keeps the screen center, I'm wondering if this will complicate having to hold the screen at a certain angle to perceive the 3D effects.

On a positive note, it's better that Nintendo did this early on instead of with the inevitable redesign which would really have split the install base.

For the haters:

NEW 3DS PERIPHERAL - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrKlRlHL8H0)

Del Murder
09-07-2011, 09:54 PM
Looks stupid. And I agree about the 3D issue. Why not just build this into it in the first place? It's not like double analog sticks are anything new.

It almost seems like Nintendo had this great piece of technology and rushed to get it out there as quickly as possible, without doing their due dilligence first (in terms of launch games, price, and design).

Polnareff
09-08-2011, 03:51 PM
There are some huge problems with this.

It'll still split the user base no matter what. Especially if Nintendo are crazy enough to have companies make games based around the extra nub (the extra nub is in a horrible place because it's not only to the right of the face buttons, it's also pretty far from them which will make some games a living hell to play if they're based around the second nub).

I really think the hate is not as high as it should be. If Sony or Microsoft had come out with this you can bet there would be so much hollering and bitching and screaming over it, but since Nintendo did it they automatically got praise. Just scary how much they can get away with.

Old Manus
09-08-2011, 09:22 PM
Yeah well they'd gone six months without releasing a version of one of their consoles with a new tacked on gimmick, we were definitely due one.

Bolivar
09-08-2011, 09:48 PM
It's rumored that the reason why it wasn't added to begin with is because Miyamoto voted against it. I couldn't find any proof of it, but here (http://nintendoeverything.com/63844/) he explains that "it's common to use your finger to play" and he feels the gyroscope would be more effective for camera controls than a second nub.

Polnareff, I think the hate is pretty high, if you go to the comments on any article about it EVERYONE is freaking out while a few are still stepping in to defend Nintendo. I tried to add a positive spin to it because it's gotten pretty cliche to second guess every move they make by now.

IMO it maybe should be less. Unless there is a full redesign, this could remain simply a cool add-on for games like Monster Hunter that really need it. Honestly the DS didn't need one, a big part of its appeal is its RPG library and if I ever get a 3DS it'll be for those kinds of games, which don't really need a second stick.

If the full redesign does come, Nintendo's probably going to lose a lot of support from those early adopter who already got shafted on the price, who will now have bought a "test" model.

ljkkjlcm9
09-09-2011, 01:27 AM
All kidding aside, there is no actual information on this. It could very well be like the Classic controller was for Monster Hunter Tri or other Wii games, optional but not necessary. Or like the Wii balance board, only used with certain games. Honestly, what games really benefit from a second nub? FPS are the main games that come to mind, and considering online is a must for FPS, and most of the time you'll connect to the internet from home anyways... there's no real need for FPS on a portable system, Vita as well. At least that's the way I see it, and I'm sure most of the FPS fans would too.

I don't feel Nintendo would split their userbase like that, but if they do... they will certainly have burned me bad. But in the end all it will do is convince me to wait til the end of their consoles life cycles in the future, and buy everything I like retro-actively. I love zelda, metroid and mario games too much to just never buy Nintendo again. But I have no problem waiting til the end of their consoles life and they are releasing the next.

In the mean time, I will enjoy my Ambassador games, look forward to some of the great 3DS games coming that will definitely not use the nub add-on (aka all the ones already announced), and then just wait til the end of the consoles life if they screw me over with anything else.

PS: The hate for Nintendo is extremely high. Site's like Kotaku have published articles such as Here are the Nintendo 3DS's Biggest Mistakes (http://kotaku.com/5838286/here-are-the-nintendo-3dss-biggest-mistakes), and have ignored the fact that it was announced alongside Monster Hunter 3 G, and the fact that the 3DS has the most games to be shown at the TGS.

THE JACKEL

Slothy
09-09-2011, 03:06 AM
Honestly the DS didn't need one, a big part of its appeal is its RPG library and if I ever get a 3DS it'll be for those kinds of games, which don't really need a second stick.

It's not that the DS didn't need two analog nubs, it's that it never had them so no one used them. Which is fine if you want a handheld that will never have a decent 3D action game, platformer, etc. But it really limits the potential games you can make. Dual analog sticks became standard on the consoles for a reason.

I also have to laugh at the idea of Miyamoto thinking the gyro's are better for camera control. It might work, but it would make 3D useless, not to mention the pain that a constantly moving screen would be while trying to play. Sometimes I wonder what that man is smoking and if I can get some.

Bolivar
09-09-2011, 04:57 AM
I agree with Jackel that this will be similar to the Classic Controller Pro and how Monster Hunter introduced that on the Wii. Most developers intending to make 3DS games probably won't have a need for it, but others will benefit, like the yearly CoD games from N-Space.

But I disagree with Jackel's point on shooters. As an enthusiastic FPS gamer, I'm of a mind with Ken Levine, that having a shooter on a handheld is a pretty big deal for me. Not so much for Single Player as for Multiplayer. Games like CoD have perfected the "hop-in, hop-out," 10-minutes or less Deathmatch formula, this kind of quick and accessible gaming is perfect for the bus ride in to work, the lunch break, or in the library in between classes. Since most workplaces, public places, and universities have Wi-Fi, online FPS is a huge opportunity for handhelds. I wouldn't want it on the DS with dual, smaller screens, I like other experiences for that. But for the Vita, with twin analog sticks (not nubs), the OLED screen, and enough power to make them be able to run well, this is actually something I'm very excited about.

Hollycat
09-09-2011, 05:26 AM
HC finds your lack of good games disturbing 3ds. they are now trying to copy the vita by giving it a consoley feel.
poorly

Skyblade
09-09-2011, 08:14 AM
PS: The hate for Nintendo is extremely high. Site's like Kotaku have published articles such as Here are the Nintendo 3DS's Biggest Mistakes (http://kotaku.com/5838286/here-are-the-nintendo-3dss-biggest-mistakes), and have ignored the fact that it was announced alongside Monster Hunter 3 G, and the fact that the 3DS has the most games to be shown at the TGS.

THE JACKEL

None of which have any bearing on the article. The 3DS has been plagued with problems since launch. Most of those problems are accurate.

A solid upcoming game list may be very good, but so what? The titles weren't there at launch, the pricing issues were atrocious, and the further into the system's life we get, the worse the thing seems to be designed. I myself have created threads on this forum to complain about design regression from the original DS to the 3DS.

Yes, the system has some good games, and is constantly getting more. It still has a ton of development and implementation issues.

ljkkjlcm9
09-09-2011, 05:17 PM
My point was purely that nintendo is getting plenty of criticism all over(in response to Polnareff), not whether it was valid or not. Those saying anything positive about Nintendo and the 3ds, Hell even the Wii u right now, are very few and far between. I have my problems with the 3ds, i have purchased only 2 games for it, both awesome. But i certainly see plenty of potential for the systems future, as well as ways it could go wrong.

THE JACKEL

Polnareff
09-09-2011, 05:47 PM
Maybe you guys just don't know a lot of Nintendo fanboys. In which case, consider yourselves lucky. ;)

Skyblade
09-09-2011, 06:24 PM
My point was purely that nintendo is getting plenty of criticism all over(in response to Polnareff), not whether it was valid or not. Those saying anything positive about Nintendo and the 3ds, Hell even the Wii u right now, are very few and far between. I have my problems with the 3ds, i have purchased only 2 games for it, both awesome. But i certainly see plenty of potential for the systems future, as well as ways it could go wrong.

THE JACKEL

Ah, ok. I didn't interpret your post that way. You're right, there are some great games for the 3DS. Currently I have four, The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time 3D, Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked, BlazBlue Continuum Shift II, and Lego Star Wars. And I am about five minutes from going to Gamestop to pick up Starfox 64 3D.

It's just a shame how many implementation and design issues the system has. I kind of wish Nintendo had just delayed the release until now. It would have given them time to work out the more obvious design issues, and given the 3DS a much more solid launch day lineup.

ljkkjlcm9
09-09-2011, 07:34 PM
Among everyone i know... I am the Nintendo fanboy! I may pick up starfox as well today, now that you mention it. My job is next to a gamestop, next to my bank lol

THE JACKEL

Hollycat
09-09-2011, 07:42 PM
while you are there will you pick me up a copy of oblivion 5th annerversary ps3?

THE RABBET

ljkkjlcm9
09-09-2011, 08:28 PM
while you are there will you pick me up a copy of oblivion 5th annerversary ps3?

THE RABBET

Sorry just got home. Apparently got the last unreserved copy of Starfox.

THE JACKEL

Hollycat
09-09-2011, 08:59 PM
Darn you

THE RABBET

Polnareff
09-09-2011, 09:38 PM
Among everyone i know... I am the Nintendo fanboy! I may pick up starfox as well today, now that you mention it. My job is next to a gamestop, next to my bank lol

THE JACKEL

You seem more like a normal fan to me. :p

Side note, if any of you are interested in a 3DS and have a Buybacks store near you (I think it's mostly relegated to Ohio and Pennsylvania though) they sell 3DS systems for like 110 bucks. Sure they're used but it's a much cheaper alternative. I was gonna jump on it until an unexpected expense came up. :eep:

Agent Proto
09-14-2011, 06:06 AM
3DS News: 3DS circle pad expansion comes with... a wrist-strap? - ComputerAndVideoGames.com (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/318717/3ds-circle-pad-expansion-comes-with-a-wrist-strap/)

edit: Here's another look from a different angle if anyone is interested.

Hollycat
09-14-2011, 06:15 AM
what the heck; is everyone who works for Nintendo high or something?

Lionx
09-14-2011, 12:43 PM
It also needs a AAA battery to use ;D

Hollycat
09-14-2011, 04:54 PM

so we've gone back to the nineties eh?
btw, I dont think i've seen you before, hi

Slothy
09-14-2011, 05:02 PM

Wait, what? Is there a link for this, because that's just stupid.

Lionx
09-14-2011, 10:02 PM
@Hypoallergenic Cactuar - HII!! OMG!! *wave* XD

It was during their Pre-TGS, 3DS conference. Here are THREE articles that say it..>_< Its so confirmed.

TGS 2011: Nintendo's 3DS slide-pad attachment is real, requires an extra battery and will cost you money, 3DS News | GamesRadar (http://www.gamesradar.com/tgs-2011-nintendos-3ds-slide-pad-attachment-real-requires-extra-battery-and-will-cost-you-money/)

Nintendo Holds Hour-Long Press Conference to Announce Monster Hunter 4 - Giant Bomb (http://www.giantbomb.com/news/nintendo-holds-hour-long-press-conference-to-announce-monster-hunter-4/3657/)

New 3DS circle pad: first official picture, release date - ComputerAndVideoGames.com (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/318595/new-3ds-circle-pad-first-official-picture-release-date/)

This almost confirms that there WILL be a 3DS redesign next year due to the fact that not only Monster Hunter will use it, as well as the Battery. I returned my 3DS hoping to get a Red one this month..glad i held that off.

It also comes with a wrist strap ;D... 3DS News: 3DS circle pad expansion comes with... a wrist-strap? - ComputerAndVideoGames.com (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/318717/3ds-circle-pad-expansion-comes-with-a-wrist-strap/)

Side Note: TGS 2011: Nintendo and Capcom stocks slide after 3DS conference, 3DS News | GamesRadar (http://www.gamesradar.com/tgs-2011-nintendo-and-capcom-stocks-slide-after-3ds-conference/)

Bolivar
09-14-2011, 10:35 PM
Man that's really bad for it to take a second battery. I'm surprised thought that they didn't announce the redesign at the little conference, I think everyone was expecting that.

Since it's already done, it's here, I'm hoping they go with a really great redesign with some cool improvements on top of the nub, like a longer battery life for starters.

Lionx
09-14-2011, 10:47 PM
They would not dare announce the redesign until probably next Spring. It would shoot themselves in the foot in Christmas sales and just make their player confidence(and stocks) drop like mad. But the fact that the add-on can be used on more than one game...confirms it.