PDA

View Full Version : Gears of War 3

Psychotic
09-10-2011, 09:42 PM
Gears of War 3 is out in just over a week, and it is going to hold the title of "Best Game Ever Made" for a couple of months until Saints Row The Third comes out, but we can all revel in its glory until then.

Here are the two trailers for it:
Ashes to Ashes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7Te5fcnrUA)
Dust to Dust (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86QvTlQ5ziY)

Very classy and also very great.

But what of the gameplay?! Well, dear chums, I played the Gears 3 multiplayer beta and I can tell you it was sublime.

Still not convinced? Wikipedia will change all that.

Gears of War 3 will feature four-player co-op for the first time in the series. A fully controllable mech suit, called a Silverback, will be available for use in certain parts of the game, armed with a machine gun and rocket launcher.

Gears of War 3 will include a new mode called Beast mode. Similar to Horde Mode in Gears of War 2, the player instead attacks COG members as the Locust creatures. Tokens are earned for killing enemies, allowing the player to upgrade their character to a stronger class of Locust.

Horde Mode is also featured in the third installment, dubbed "Horde 2.0". Instead of previously being a simple "find a spot and hold out" game as in Gears 2, Horde 2.0 plans to be far more strategic. Players will now choose an area as their "Command Post" and earn cash from kills which can be used to build defenses around it, such as wire and laser fences, automatic and manual turrets, and decoys. Every tenth wave will now feature boss monsters from the campaign, including Brumaks and Lambent Berserkers.

Can I get a smurf YEAH?

Horde Mode on Gears 2 with EoFFers has been some of the most intense and awesome gaming experiences I've had. The amount of "OH smurf OH smurf smurf smurf smurf!" as Hell itself tries to get through the front door of the ruined house you are all hiding in is truly beautiful and brutal.

Get the game when it comes out, and fight a god damn war with us! And sig up! (compulsory!) The soundtrack has always been beautiful too. Listen to this - the entire way through - and tell me it does not get your blood a-pumpin'! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6BCj1Yesvc)

DK
09-10-2011, 09:50 PM
IT'S GAME TIME BABY WOOOOOOO!

NorthernChaosGod
09-11-2011, 01:16 AM
I can't smurfing wait; this is going to be epic. :excited:

Iceglow
09-11-2011, 02:17 PM
Got my pre-order in and I don't care if I have to play on a dislocated thumb or not, I will be playing Gears 3 with you boys.

Dreddz
09-11-2011, 05:35 PM
I could do with a big dumb action game to pass the time. Shame the biggest, dumbest one is on a system I don't even own.

I'm sure Ill get some time with the game as my friends are all Gears addicts. From what I've seen Gears 3 looks polished to hell and still retains the 80's action escapism which never fails to get me in a good mood. Hope you idiots have fun :mad:

Psychotic
09-11-2011, 06:41 PM
I know on the surface Gears is dumb, but as an aside, I think a lot of work has been put into the design of it - both the world, and the general aesthetic and little touches they've put in. It's not something a lot of people who play the game will really care about or notice, but yeah, I dig it.

Madame Adequate
09-11-2011, 06:47 PM
Guess who doesn't have as much as one Sterling Pound to his name and thus won't be joining you upon release

I've never felt heartbreak like this :cry:

Iceglow
09-11-2011, 07:04 PM
Just sell your ass on ebay, Baloki would pay for it.

Psychotic
09-11-2011, 07:38 PM
Guess who doesn't have as much as one Sterling Pound to his name and thus won't be joining you upon release

I've never felt heartbreak like this :cry:We live in a cruel, cruel world.

Cool Baird sig though.

DK
09-11-2011, 08:07 PM

I've never felt heartbreak like this :cry:

you've broken my heart for the last time Hobbes :(

Madame Adequate
09-11-2011, 08:18 PM
I swear to God the sum total of my monetary wealth at this time is 90p. I am not joking. Feels pretty fucking bad man :( And the worst part is I won't heart Steve saying "DON'T SKIP DA EFF EM VEES"

Psychotic
09-11-2011, 08:30 PM
Can you not claim JSA?

Also, of course we won't skip the... uh... FMVs. Gears has a well-written plot, likeable characters (Baird and Tai not withstanding!) and enjoyable voice acting.

Madame Adequate
09-11-2011, 09:47 PM
I applied for Disability (On account of having gone crazy and not being able to leave the house for more than five minutes without starting to damage myself) in December.

They're still deciding.

I'm sure they'll say no, and then I'll have to appeal it, and argh fuck anyway this thread isn't for my problems it's for talking about how Damon Baird is the most utterly glorious man to ever live and how you should all want to have his babies because he is gorgeous and strong and manly and much better than those mouthbreathers he fights alongside.

Madame Adequate
09-13-2011, 02:48 AM
Double post but I don't care, what are you gonna do about it :colbert:

Crisis averted. Thanks to the extraordinary generosity of Jiro, I'll be receiving Gears of War 3. So fret not! You shall have your Baird by your side.

Freya
09-13-2011, 03:27 AM
I have a gears 3 shirt that says "I'm going commando"? Yeah that's all I have to chime in with....

Jiro
09-13-2011, 04:39 AM
When the original Gears came out, I was like hmm okay. When Gears 2 came out, I was like oh man cool! But now I'm so excited that I think a little bit of wee came out.

Iceglow
09-13-2011, 10:11 AM
that wasn't pee. That was your ejaculate but don't worry, thats normal.

NorthernChaosGod
09-13-2011, 03:03 PM
We're going to have to have big EoFF matches.

Iceglow
09-13-2011, 10:22 PM
So basically, after dislocating my thumb then wrenching it horribly it's back to being the size of a melon. Unfortunately I wanted to start "physio" this weekend by warming up to Gears 3 with a bit of Horde with you lucky fellas here. You know something. Fuck being injured, fuck being swollen to the size of a melon. My thumb best get ready because lads, it's time to rev those lancers!

Loony BoB
09-16-2011, 01:00 PM
Never played a Gears game before, but the trailers did look fantastic when I watched them a few months back and I was definitely interested. I won't have it at launch, but I might get it eventually if I have money to throw around beyond the games I've already budgeted for (in other words: If I get bored and there are no decent new games out, sort of like what I did with Reach). ME & Halo are still at the moment the only games I still buy for X360 but you never know. =]

Of course, I'll probably only play multiplayer a few times with you guys and then give up because I suck at FPS multiplayer games. This is especially exaggerated when compared to Psy, Dan and I think (if I remember rightly) MILF.

Iceglow
09-16-2011, 02:36 PM
This is 3rd person.

Loony BoB
09-16-2011, 03:46 PM
You shoot at enemies using a crosshair or something at the center of the screen, yeah? Close enough. First or third person perspective are increasingly minor details in shooter games these days. Most games use both, via scopes/vehicles/etc.

demondude
09-16-2011, 03:50 PM
Why is Horde mode on GOW 2 just Tickers now? It's balls.

DK
09-16-2011, 03:54 PM
To be fair, I suck tit at Gears compared to da 'alo. Gears 1 and 2 multiplayer I was worse than you were at Halo (:aimkiss:). At least on the Gears 3 Beta I was way better than I ever was on the first two games, mostly because the new weapons suit my style of play way more than the old ones. But yeah there is a distinct difference between the two games. Besides we all sucked when we started on da 'alo, if you had started playing it the same time me and pauw did and put as many hours into grinding in ranked playlists to get better like we did it wouldn't have been a thang. That's the only reason we play well on 'alo, the amount of vile torture we suffered and overcoming it.

anyway I highly recommend getting Gears 1 and 2 anyway, especially seeing as you and Danielle love co-op gaming, there is no better co-op game series out there at the moment than Gears. Well, Saints the Third will change that, but IDK if you can co-op that on a single console, and you can't on saint's 2 anyway. But yeah, Gears hands down the best co-op game this generation, and Gears 3 is gonna destroy the other two in awesomeness.

edit@dd: Epic always do random things with Horde mode, just on random weekends. They decided to do tickers this week apparently. We got one when it was Sires once, that was a good time.

Psychotic
09-16-2011, 04:39 PM
Yeah simply put, we can't be huge smurfing arseholes to you on Gears like we were Halo. It's not even possible even if we had the PvP skill level required (which we don't). :lol: I think Danielle would excel at Gears for some reason actually. See if you can pick up a used copy of Gears 1 or 2 BoB, they're probably going for like £5-10 now, and would be a bargain at that price.

Also yeah the ticker thing is an event to help people grind to max level before Gears 3 comes out. 2500% EXP.

Iceglow
09-16-2011, 04:43 PM
To be fair, Dan is right. I've noticed through grinding like a bitch my skill has gone up massively compared to when I first played Halo. These days I get through matches I would never have survived 10 seconds in prior to playing with the guys. I think you just needed to stick it out some more Daniel. But well, your choice.

Loony BoB
09-16-2011, 04:45 PM
But if I pick up an old copy of Gears 1 or 2 then I still won't be able to mulitplayer with you guys anyway since you'll all be playing Gears 3!

That, and the lack of "one weekend" timeframe options for Xbox Live. =| I still hate the idea of spending money to play online after having the PS3 for so long. ...which, admittedly, I don't use to play online very often, but that's beside the point! But yeah, paying money for online services is something I've not done for ages and would require a whole new thread for that fanboy debate.

Psychotic
09-16-2011, 04:49 PM
Well yeah you'd have to get G3 to play with us, but Gears 1/2 are two utterly top notch co-op experiences, and I agree with Dan that they are not matched by any other game you can play with someone on the same console. (imho only Saints 2 beats it anyway!) It'd be a good tester to see if you'd be interested in shelling out more for Gears 3 and Xbox Live.

Madame Adequate
09-16-2011, 04:56 PM
Dynasty Warriors is a better co-op experience and I don't care what anyone says to the contrary :colbert:

But yeah if you and Danielle want a good co-op time then definitely get Gears 1 and/or 2. Dead cheap now I am sure and huge amounts of fun to be had.

Psychotic
09-16-2011, 05:04 PM
Dynasty Warriors split screen is pure comedy as enemies will not spawn until they are 3 feet in front of you. DW7 online co-op is a beast though yes.

Loony BoB
09-16-2011, 05:05 PM
Maybe after we complete Resistance 3. =] It's crazy that I am currently looking at the game release calendar trying to figure out the best time to buy games to avoid having too many games on the go at once.

NorthernChaosGod
09-16-2011, 05:09 PM
Also yeah the ticker thing is an event to help people grind to max level before Gears 3 comes out. 2500% EXP.
I find this highly discriminatory to those who got max level through normal gameplay back when the damn game was fairly new. :colbert:

DK
09-16-2011, 05:28 PM
I still hate the idea of spending money to play online

Didn't you play FFXI and XIV? Kind of amusing that you're happy to pay £10 quid a month to play one (shiet) game online but £3.33 a month to play however many of your xbox games have online multi is offensive. Especially when XBL is vastly superior to the PS3 online options. But whatever floats your boat.

Iceglow
09-17-2011, 01:18 AM
speaking of Gears, does anyone know what the song in the tv advert for it is?

DK
09-17-2011, 02:43 AM
Gears of War 3 Trailer Song: Mazzy Star - "Into Dust" - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxqezjfoYgI)

Loony BoB
09-17-2011, 06:40 AM
I still hate the idea of spending money to play online

Didn't you play FFXI and XIV? Kind of amusing that you're happy to pay £10 quid a month to play one (shiet) game online but £3.33 a month to play however many of your xbox games have online multi is offensive. Especially when XBL is vastly superior to the PS3 online options. But whatever floats your boat.
I played FFXI for three months and have not paid for FFXIV outside of the box so far. It all comes down to how often you use it and what kind of updates you're getting out of it. In an MMO, you get buttloads of changing/updating content streaming down to you and you can play with so many people at once for ages. With XBL, I have to pay to do something I can do for free on another console. This is the part I don't like. If it's free elsewhere, why pay to do it? I mean, if I pay for Playstation Plus, I actually get a few free games on a monthly basis and discounts on others. I don't opt to pay for PS+, though. It's not of interest to me. I just want the ability to play a game on a whim on a random night of the year with my mates when I feel like it. Should that really cost me? I paid for the game already. On PC, it will not cost me. On PSN, it will not cost me. But for some reason, on XBL, it costs me. And that's why I don't play XBL games with you guys at all anymore. The cost just doesn't justify playing a game online for a few hours on a random night of the year. I mean, at the very least, they could give an allowance to play a few hours each month for free. =|

Oh, and that's all not to mention that if Danielle and I both want to play then we both have to pay. Which is stupid.

Psychotic
09-17-2011, 11:36 AM
Honest to god BoB, if you draw EoFF's PS3 fanboys into my thread about a glorious game and they tit it up with their usual drivel, I will actually filter the words "Loony BoB" to "Lonny Bob" FOREVER.

Anyway, we've all been enjoying the Gears 3 trailers, but having fantastic trailers is a staple of the Gears series. Time for a trip down memory lane!

gears of war (mad world) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccWrbGEFgI8)

Here is the original Gears trailer. I had just got my Xbox and was about done with Saints Row and Dead Rising and decided to buy a new game and I saw this on the ol' telly. I thought it was great and loved the idea of some guy standing steadfast and just blasting into some giant monster with his machine gun without either one flinching. So I bought the game based on this and knowing nothing else about it! It turned out very well. If it wasn't for this, I wouldn't have nagged DAAAAYN and SIR STEVEN of GLOW into getting this game... and who knows what joviality we would've missed out on! Apparently the instrumental for Mad World is background music in Gears 3.

Gears of War 2: Last Day (Game Trailer) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL_ZjJgbDmc)

Given that this is a game featuring a gun with a chainsaw on it, absolutely visceral curbstomping and the most incredibly brutal headshots I have seen in a video game, the trailer does not reflect that at all! There's no action whatsoever. Even the King Ravens don't crash! It syncs up to the music perfectly, and the tension created showing Marcus and Dom going down in the grindlift is great too. Plus Baird only appears briefly as a silhouette :)

So there you go, I am that determined to distract from the "I DON'T PAY TO USE AN INFERIOR ONLINE SERVICE ON AN INFERIOR* CONSOLE" argument that I am willing to discuss the artistic merits of trailers for 5 year old video games.

*don't hit the reply button to argue this, because if you do you are wrong. Your console is inferior and mine is the destiny of all mankind. My corporation is better than your corporation. It's time you faced that fact and committed ritual suicide to avoid dishonour.

NeoCracker
09-17-2011, 01:32 PM
As one of those PS3 fanboys, I will say that Gears is one of the reasons I'm kind of sad not to have a 360 anymore, as they are in fact pretty rad games. :p

nirojan
09-17-2011, 04:55 PM
I've played 1&2 and they're pretty great. If I bought 3, would I be able to play with you guys? Like logistically speaking?

The reason I'm asking is, when I tried to play Black Ops with my cousin in Switzerland one of us always got booted for excessive ping. Have you guys ever played with North American gamers before (on gears obviously)? I have a 50mbs down and 20mbs up connection so speed shouldn't be a problem (atleast I think).

Psychotic
09-17-2011, 05:28 PM
We've played Horde with the likes of JKTrix who lives in Bermuda, so it shouldn't be too problematic.

Freya
09-17-2011, 05:54 PM
gears of war (mad world) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccWrbGEFgI8)

heh bears of war heh

NorthernChaosGod
09-17-2011, 09:30 PM
What's your problem with Baird, Paul?

Iceglow
09-17-2011, 10:03 PM
Aside from Baird being Milf's fave character?

NorthernChaosGod
09-17-2011, 10:38 PM
Oh, that explains it.

Psychotic
09-17-2011, 11:03 PM
Because he's a ponce. Where's your Dom sig? :colbert:

LunarWeaver
09-17-2011, 11:24 PM
Buying just for Baird, tbf.

Madame Adequate
09-18-2011, 12:25 AM
Anyone can shoot a gun. Baird's one of the only actually indispensable characters who does anything useful. :kakapo:

Psychotic
09-18-2011, 12:50 AM
Anyone can shoot a gun.Wretches can't. :colbert:

NorthernChaosGod
09-18-2011, 12:54 AM
Because he's a ponce. Where's your Dom sig? :colbert:
Make me one? :love:

Psychotic
09-18-2011, 01:50 AM
There. You can think of your own custom title though :p For those of you who did not play the Beta, that blood-soaked monstrosity that Dom is firing with is the Retro Lancer. And yes, it is utterly sick when you impale someone on that blade.

Also: GameInformer Presents GEARS OF WAR 3 Art Exploration (http://www.gameinformer.com/p/gears.aspx) this is a pretty cool little thing you should all look at!

NorthernChaosGod
09-18-2011, 02:15 AM
You're the best, Paul. :monster:

DK
09-18-2011, 02:24 AM
I demand you grow a Hobo Dom beard for this experience

NorthernChaosGod
09-18-2011, 02:28 AM
I already have a full beard. o_O.

DK
09-18-2011, 02:43 AM
I want picture evidence that it's as full and manly and hobo as Dom's :colbert: if it's not grow it more. :doublecolbert:

haven't had a shave for a month myself and it's getting there. but not Hobo Dom level. Yet.

NorthernChaosGod
09-18-2011, 08:54 AM
I don't know how you expect me to grow it out in time for the release of the game then. :colbert:

Jiro
09-19-2011, 11:37 AM
Steroids. Beardroids.

Madame Adequate
09-20-2011, 04:41 PM
Welp, if you're wondering where I am today, a courier company tried to deliver it while I was asleep and my parents were out. I didn't realize it would need to be signed for so I didn't make special arrangements (Like being awake), and now I have to wait until Thursday to get it. :cry: You'll... you'll have to go on without me.

Psychotic
09-20-2011, 05:03 PM
HUXLEY :argh: Don't make me drive to Leicester, thrust you into the back of my car and then drive right through the front doors of the royal mail depot because so help me god I will.

I HAVE IT :excited:

Pike
09-20-2011, 05:43 PM
HUXLEY :argh: Don't make me drive to Leicester, thrust you into the back of my car and then drive right through the front doors of the royal mail depot because so help me god I will.

DO IT

AND TAKE PICTURES

Iceglow
09-20-2011, 06:07 PM
I was the only guy in my work wearing a gears t-shirt today. I felt fucking legendary!

DK
09-20-2011, 06:34 PM
Well apparently having an older 360 means I'm not good enough to play Gears 3 so I won't be playing with any of you until I get a new console. Lovely :mad2:

Madame Adequate
09-20-2011, 07:32 PM
wait what

DK
09-20-2011, 08:17 PM
Well if you have one of the old 360's gears may or may not work. for some people it works fine, for others (like me) it has never ending loading screens, freezes on parts that do work, graphics don't load properly, can't join people to play it online and you can't install because it craps out at 45% saying that the disc is scratched and unreadable. So far I've found a few other people complaining about it and no help about a fix has been forthcoming, but for Pauw it works fine and the only differences we have are that his console is one of the new ones and mine is an old one, so yeah. Gonna have to try and get a new one.

Madame Adequate
09-20-2011, 09:51 PM
That is utterly utterly disgusting I hope someone gets shot for that, it is the biggest pile of bull I have read on these forums since Julian said a girl showed interest other than horror in him.

NorthernChaosGod
09-20-2011, 10:14 PM
That is utterly utterly disgusting I hope someone gets shot for that, it is the biggest pile of bull I have read on these forums since Julian said a girl showed interest other than horror in him.
I will end you. I will end you with a retro lancer to the anus.

Repeatedly.

Psychotic
09-20-2011, 10:46 PM
So

uh

game's pretty good guys :shobon:

Fucking challenging. We've all gone down so many times. The Lambent Gunker... dear God. And this is Hardcore, dunno what it'd be like on Insane.

But

still good! Having a whale of a time.

Freya
09-20-2011, 11:37 PM
I just got it and I have an older 360. :( Now i'm scared. :(

EDIT: I wasn't able to try any multiplayer, my internet has been a bit wacky tonight, but campaign it worked perfectly fine on my oldie. YAY! Mines not cursed! You had me worried there for a bit.

Iceglow
09-21-2011, 09:45 AM
Hardcore is pretty ridiculous it must be agreed. Gunker's are the huge fuckers right? Well they take about 3 - 4 boom shots (and the rest of the team pinning it/drawing fire with their lancers) 4 - 5 grenades (frag) and bullet wise eat hundreds of rounds.

Psychotic
09-21-2011, 04:51 PM
I joined Quin and his buddy's game and have learned that player 3 plays as the dreamy Carmine in the initial Cole - Baird - Carmine- Sam quartet. I have also learned that Carmine starts each chapter with a brand spankin' new Torque Bow. Even the Gunkers cannot withstand repeated fully-charged poundings from the ol' Torque Bow!

Obviously Psychotic Carmine with a Torque Bow is more likely to use said weapon on the big nasties, rather than AI Carmine who will spunk it on whoever. Although I suppose this is offset by the AI seemingly able to take more damage than player controlled characters, and having a huge love of reviving people.

Iceglow
09-22-2011, 12:38 AM
Cannot wait to play this properly with Dan. Dan man, this is great for me and Paul but it just aint the same without you and the Hux :(

Observation from the game so far: Baird is less whingey and more sarcastic in this game. I have to say, this is a major improvement. I loved the fact that he comes out with some real one-liners which make me chuckle. Another key point though is that Baird makes sarcastic comments and Carmine will generally serve him like a pro with a one liner which destroys Baird's new-found humour.

Madame Adequate
09-22-2011, 02:32 AM
Yeah Baird was always sarcastic that's why I like him.

This sounds like Pauw propaganda tbh

Iceglow
09-22-2011, 11:25 AM
Sorry complete agreement with Paul and Dan about Baird being a bit of a whinger in the last 2 games. This time he is less annoying. I work til 9pm tonight (home bout 9:30 - 10:00), if you and Dan are playing with Paul I should be able to just join in I doubt you'll get past where me and Paul have gotten to before I get home. Though if you guys feel like waiting for me then dick around in horde or beast mode then :P

Jiro
09-22-2011, 02:04 PM
I swear to god you guys are going to play together or I'll tell your parents on you. :colbert:

Psychotic
09-22-2011, 04:28 PM
Baird has got steadily more tolerable as the series has progressed. Gears 1 he was a complete smurfing worthless sack of tit. Gears 2, moderately better as he stopped screeching in my ear every 5 minutes but still a twat. Gears 3... ehhhh.... I don't... I don't hate Gears 3 Baird. Yet. He has moments of utter ponciness every now and then but he's not awful. ...this was so hard for me to say.

Madame Adequate
09-22-2011, 11:00 PM
Okay spent the day at Mike's playing Gears 3 in split screen and HOLY titTING CHRIST ON A BIKE this game is even better than I expected it was going to be. Now I love me some GoW 1 and 2 and they are exceptional games, but this is some whole other level, absolutely every single last aspect of the game seems to be improved and it's just the most absolute incredible joy to play. Got to Act IV Part 6 The defense of Anvil Gate was immense, dat smurfing Lambent Zerker was the best boss I've fought in years, and now we're underwater getting hamharmed by some kind of giant fish thing.

Beast mode is beastly. Smacking around Stranded with a Butcher's cleaver :shobon: krakening them with waves of Tickers :shobon: I think the Locust are doing their thing just because it's so much smurfing fun to be a twat as a Locust. :shobon:

Ought to get to playing soon. :jess:

e: Much as I love Baird I have to admit, Sam's repeated TOLDS towards him are pretty hilarious.

Psychotic
09-23-2011, 12:11 AM
Hey we got to that exact same part! Anvil Gate was utterly ridiculous. And christ can you imagine fighting the Lambent Zerker in horde...?! Also also, the level design is, as expected, beautiful. Char, man. Fucking Char.

Also I kind of don't like Sam. She tries to be funny and just... isn't.

Madame Adequate
09-23-2011, 01:46 AM
I really do not even WANT to imagine that because dear Christ.

Also Sam isn't amazing and I agree in general but I do like her sniping at Baird, something about it just clicks for me.

Psychotic
09-23-2011, 04:01 PM
I thought Carmine did it better tbh. :shobon: (naturally)

Madame Adequate
09-23-2011, 04:45 PM
This game does not have remotely enough Carmine tbh.

DK
09-24-2011, 05:49 AM
well I got my new box today and me and pauw (and at various times Quin and Laymb) sessioned out the game from pretty much 6 pm til 5 am. What a cracker. Will not go into Campaign 'cause we're pretty much where you guys were in the last post so nothing really special to talk about, but Horde and Beast mode, god damn. Two of the most fun gaming experiences I've had in ages.

Beast mode is hilariously genius, the only thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't go on for longer. We did it in the thrashball stadium and god damn, it was awesome. Took me a while to get used to it but as soon as I unlocked the Mauler I was racking up the points, and then the corpser, oh man the corpser. That thing is next level insane amount of hax. Pretty much carried us through to the last wave. And then I decided to use the Berserker and well...It's expensive as tit for a reason. Utterly learned to death. Mauling the tit out of Baird was my favourite part of Beast mode by far.

And then Horde, god damn. We did it on Gridlock and it was insane. Ended up getting to wave 30 before calling it quits. We breezed through waves 1-9 casually as you generally do, poncing about setting up little barriers and camping in the middle of the map. Then came wave 10. Our first boss wave. Surely this will be a nice little easing in boss! We will probably get a gunker or something right? Like smurf. God damn Lambent Berserker straight off the bat. Took us bloody ages to take it down. Then the enemies got 2x health and tit started to get real. Our base in the middle of the map was exposed as horrendously unprotected on wave 19 when about 4 grinders, 4 boomers and 4 maulers or some tit stormed in from both sides and completely decimated us. Took us about 5 attempts before we decided to switch bases and managed to get past, barely, with me and Paul running around like madmen trying to kill the last guys before we got killed. Not like we could relax though, 'cause then wave 20 hit and what decided to show up but a god damn Brumak. It only got crazier from there as well. As I said we ended up finishing on wave 30 after we finished off our second god damn Brumak. So good, can't wait to jump into multiplayer again either, the Beta was brilliant.

But yeah, seriously awesome game.

Psychotic
09-24-2011, 02:28 PM
I can't decide if adding bosses to horde is the worst or best thing ever. Possibly both, simultaneously.

Also dipped my toe into ranked versus just now because I was bored and you :bou::bou::bou::bou:s are sleeping or something. Went 16-4 and was the MVP. Looks like both me and my sawn off still have it :smug: Some lonely fucker was level 37 already.

NorthernChaosGod
09-24-2011, 09:45 PM
Holy shit, 37? I thought I played a lot of Gears 2 when that was new.

Madame Adequate
09-24-2011, 11:05 PM
They whinge at me to get on and then I do and now all I am doing is sitting here listening to Quin and Laymb talk about their deep and abiding love for each other.

Iceglow
09-25-2011, 12:39 AM
Oh holy tit smurf dick ass cheese mongering boss. Final boss is damn smurfing retarded.

Madame Adequate
10-04-2011, 11:04 PM
Had a good time on Gears wif da boys tonight. Mutators are glorious, gorgeous things.

NorthernChaosGod
10-22-2011, 08:57 PM
I finally nutted up and bought this last night. I got just over halfway through campaign with a friend before calling it a night.

Dom. D:

Iceglow
10-23-2011, 01:00 AM
I finally nutted up and bought this last night. I got just over halfway through campaign with a friend before calling it a night.

Dom. D:

Yeah well, I got just over halfway through doing your mom with a friend before calling it a night.

Jiro
10-23-2011, 01:14 PM
Played through the first act with a mate today, it was interesting. The beginning was a nice acid trip. I suddenly hate Marcus a whole lot, but the rest of the cast more than make up for this. Wearing a backwards cap with Cole is sweet, and the tit going on in the stadium was a blast. COLE TRAIN RUNS ON WHOLE GRAINS BABY!

Horde mode is deliciously brutal. I can see it being far better with a full cohort though. It's games like this that make me wish I had stable internet.

EDIT: The retro lancer is horrendous. No amount of awesome bayonetting can make up for that piss poor aim. I did like the turret in Horde made of four retro lancers though. That tit was whack.

NorthernChaosGod
10-23-2011, 06:52 PM
Lol, you need to shoot in bursts, dummy.

Psychotic
10-23-2011, 07:07 PM
Retro Lancer is the gun of the gods. You have to be up close though.

DK
10-23-2011, 07:13 PM
Yeah no idea what you're on about the Retro Lancer is a fucking wrecking machine. Mind you that's vastly more evident in Multi than it is in campaign but yeah.

Speaking of, me and Pauw just had a decent little session on multiplayer. Started off terrible, we were both an utter bag of balls but the more we settled in the better we got, and ended up on a good solid run of about 10 games where we were switching the MVP medal back and forth between us. My favourite and probably the best game of gears I've ever played was a team deathmatch on Mercy, enemy team were slamming us down in the first round (partly bacause pauw was posting on effoff instead of playing) and it ended up with us having used up all of our lives and there was only me and another guy on the team, and the enemies still had 1 spare life left. I think I got the kill on their team to drop it down to the elimination stages, and my team mate got killed so it was basically 5 on 1 with no respawns left. Hung out in the church, shotgunned some bitches down and ended the game forcing the enemy team to watch their last guy have his arm ripped off and beaten repeatedly over his face. Was utter glory.

Madame Adequate
10-23-2011, 08:35 PM
Would have joined you boys for that but I was tired as shit and just rinsing off Saints Row 2 in time for The Third next month and then I went right back to bed. I would have just dragged you down anyway because I am unbelievably shiet at multiplayer Gears tbf

NorthernChaosGod
10-24-2011, 12:05 AM
You guys were playing? I see how it is. :cry:

Jiro
10-29-2011, 06:31 AM
Retro Lancer is the gun of the gods. You have to be up close though.

This is my issue then. I was used to the Lancer being smurfing golden at long distances as well. I'll keep that in mind and start stabbing bitches too.

NorthernChaosGod
10-29-2011, 10:48 PM
The Lancer sucks in 1 and 2, it's all about the Hammerburst. :p

Jiro
10-30-2011, 08:33 AM
I dunno what you're doing with it then. The Hammerburst is great yeah but I'll take my chainsaw bullet hose any day.

Psychotic
10-30-2011, 10:58 AM
Gears 1: Lancer
Gears 2: Hammerburst
Gears 3: Retro Lancer

The End.

Mind you the fucking Lancer is a nasty god damn weapon in 3 as well, and is only just marginally inferior to the Retro Lancer in online play due to people's play styles. If people hung back a bit and didn't make it their primary objective to run up to you and shoot you with the Gnasher, the Lancer might just prove to be superior. The Hammerburst is depressingly poor in 3 though. The clip size is pathetic.

Iceglow
10-30-2011, 05:05 PM
The Hammerburst in 3 is only useful if you're using the iron sights at long range and are exceptionally good at getting the headshot. Though you can get a similar effect using the Boltok pistol and still pack a lancer or retro lancer.

The rush in and Gnasher everything that moves tactic really is killing the online play for me though as I'm finding it increasingly repetitive and boring.

NorthernChaosGod
10-30-2011, 10:39 PM
Gears has always been kind of run up and shoot you with the Gnasher, it's kind of sad. Having said that, when the hell are we going to play? You fucks. :colbert:

Iceglow
10-31-2011, 11:43 PM
One thing I don't quite get having got most of the way through the second Gears book (reading the e-books, been put on hold due to the annoyance of my laptop deciding it needs to throw a power supply wobbler) is that essentially according to the literature that accompanies the books, the retro lancer's blade changed to the chainsaw blade for a very prominent reason... The grubs hide is too thick and instead of penetrating them as gruesomely as it does in the game, they frequently just snap off. So how the hell the retro lancer is so fucking brutal in Gears 3 is beyond me.

Also there's been a lot of rumours and discussions lately about the idea that they're going to make Gears 4 despite this being the end of the series. Going on the books there's certainly enough material what could be made in to a 4th game though I'd prefer seeing something like a Gears prequel set in the unification wars

NorthernChaosGod
10-31-2011, 11:46 PM
Gears 4? It's fucking Halo 4 redux. :nonono:

Psychotic
10-31-2011, 11:49 PM
So how the hell the retro lancer is so fucking brutal in Gears 3 is beyond me.You have to have a huge run up in order for it to work.

In any case, canonwise: games > books.

Iceglow
11-01-2011, 12:00 AM
So how the hell the retro lancer is so fucking brutal in Gears 3 is beyond me.You have to have a huge run up in order for it to work.

In any case, canonwise: games > books.

Normally I'd agree with you wholeheartedly, Games > Books. However when the Gears books seem so tied in to the cannon of the storyline going so far as to actually explain things never explained in the games such as the relationships between certain characters (Dom and Sam for example) it does seem a little "fishy" to then retcon the entire existence of the chainsaw bullet hose Lancer with the brutality of the Retro Lancer. Though yes the run up on it working is true it's still far more brutal even in execution.

Jiro
11-01-2011, 03:06 PM
Marcus and co. are just fucking buffer than your typical gear. There problem solved. Alternatively, these are soft grubs :jess:

NorthernChaosGod
11-01-2011, 03:08 PM
Well then Cole should have the fastest and best running melee; he did play trashball.

Jiro
11-07-2011, 12:27 AM
He didn't play Thrashball, he won Thrashball. Hell, he practically was Thrashball. WOO!

demondude
11-07-2011, 12:30 AM
wtf was up with him and that slide? I was walking around and then it cut away and I pissed myself laughing. It was really random.