PDA

View Full Version : Wrong Names

Yar
09-11-2011, 06:32 PM
So foa called me Misty instead of Justy. :( My littler heart is so broken I don't know if I wanna hang with her now.

What do people call you when they mess up your name? I get called Jason so often it's ridiculous. That or Dustin. Whenever I get called one of those names I just roll with it to smurf with people. At work they call me Duck now. It works. I don't get called Jason and now I have a nickname!

Araciel
09-11-2011, 06:49 PM
'a-hole'

Melissaur
09-11-2011, 06:53 PM
They don't get my first name wrong. It's my last name that seems to confuse people. I've been called martin, mertin, martinez (my fav), martine, martins, and others that I can't remember.

Pike
09-11-2011, 06:53 PM
Most bosses/teachers I've ever met call me Stacy, Samantha, or Sarah. For months. Or years.

my real name is Stephanie

Feels bad man :(

NorthernChaosGod
09-11-2011, 07:40 PM
I've been called George by an old coworker before. We were doing some stupid game to try and remember everyone's names and when the guy got to me he, very confidently, said my name was George. And thus I had a new nickname.

Psychotic
09-11-2011, 07:52 PM
My driving instructor used to always call me Dave. He told me he also had a Dave who he called Paul. How he managed to confuse the two names I don't know.

Yar
09-11-2011, 07:55 PM
My driving instructor used to always call me Dave. He told me he also had a Dave who he called Paul. How he managed to confuse the two names I don't know.Haha I always mix up guys named Josh and Kevin. :|

Madame Adequate
09-11-2011, 08:09 PM
When I had my old name Kiir lots of people called me Queer for some reason. :confused:

fire_of_avalon
09-11-2011, 08:37 PM
So foa called me Misty instead of Justy. :( My littler heart is so broken I don't know if I wanna hang with her now.

What do people call you when they mess up your name? I get called Jason so often it's ridiculous. That or Dustin. Whenever I get called one of those names I just roll with it to smurf with people. At work they call me Duck now. It works. I don't get called Jason and now I have a nickname!
My phone auto corrected you to Misty. Because my phone has condemned me to auto correct hell. I hope we're still buds.

On my first day at my first job ever I was helping a customer who kept calling me Morgan. I was too shy/afraid to correct her until another co-worker heard her and said "I thought your name was Megan?"

I turned very pink.

EDIT: Also a lady at work calls me Meg. I smurfing hate it and I've said so, I think.

Martyr
09-11-2011, 09:52 PM
Sometimes people call me by my name as it is pronounced in Spanish, and I just answer. Then, half the time, they smile and say it properly in an English accent because they realize they aren't going to throw me off with that silly shit.

But, generally, it's hard to get my name wrong or to forget it. It's a wonderful combination of common and memorable- not mixupable.

Kokichi
09-11-2011, 09:59 PM
I get Josh a lot.

A LOT.

Iceglow
09-12-2011, 01:08 AM
My own mother likes to make the mistake of calling me Paul which is the name of my elder brother, I wouldn't mind except there is 15 years age difference between us and my brother is shorter than me by a good half foot or so. Even worse on occasion she has called me Tyler, Tyler is the name of my nephew. He's not even 10.

People in the area I grew up often call me Stephanos or Stephan which is the Greek for my name. Some have even taken to calling me Steph. I'm not overly bothered, to them it's like calling me Steve which is my name.

At school I used to get mixed up with a guy in my year called Anthony but everyone called him by his surname, even teachers. His surname was Caitlin.

In work I once got asked if my name badge said "Shag" I wish I was kidding. To be fair the girl who asked was a new starter and I responded with "thats a little forward but if you're offering I'm in for sure." I did get laid there not at work but yeah.

Laddy
09-12-2011, 01:35 AM
Everyone thinks my name is Stephan. Stephan! My name is Michael, NOT STEPHAN.

Freya
09-12-2011, 02:14 AM
I get Kaylee, Katie, Kimmi, and then all the -eys; Lacey, Jacey, Macy, Tracy, Stacy, etc etc. I didn't think Kaycee was that hard?

Jiro
09-12-2011, 04:32 AM
I get Dalton a lot.

sharkythesharkdogg
09-12-2011, 04:40 AM
I go by Joe Bryan, and it's a long hard fight not to get called Joe, or JB.

My grandfather called me Bryan, and he's the only one that did so it didn't bother me that much.

NorthernChaosGod
09-12-2011, 05:34 AM
I'm going to start calling you all by the wrong name.

Laddy
09-12-2011, 05:35 AM
I'm going to start calling you all by the wrong name.Okay SouthernOrderDeity.

NorthernChaosGod
09-12-2011, 05:38 AM
Whatever, Stephan.

Laddy
09-12-2011, 05:40 AM
Whatever, Stephan.
YOU COCK!

NorthernChaosGod
09-12-2011, 05:40 AM
/smug

Yar
09-12-2011, 06:04 AM
Try JJ.

NorthernChaosGod
09-12-2011, 06:11 AM
That's not a wrong name. :confused:

Yar
09-12-2011, 07:02 AM
yeah its just really cute :love:

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
09-12-2011, 07:07 AM
Umm. Most people don't mess up Nick. But I actually don't like going by that anymore. I have been going by Nicholas a lot lately. I like it better. It sounds more... distinguished, I suppose. More smexy. I like it.

NorthernChaosGod
09-12-2011, 02:53 PM
yeah its just really cute :love:
If you say so. *shrug*

Zeldy
09-12-2011, 04:05 PM
Umm. Most people don't mess up Nick. But I actually don't like going by that anymore. I have been going by Nicholas a lot lately. I like it better. It sounds more... distinguished, I suppose. More smexy. I like it.

I like the name Nico (or Nicho)! It's cool :}

Yeah, not many people get my name wrong. Can't exactly mistake Amy for anything, you'd think Amelia but it's never happened.

Peegee
09-12-2011, 04:10 PM
I mixed up my brother's gf 's name with my friend's gf name

like 10 times

in the same night

After a while I just gave up.

Pike
09-12-2011, 04:21 PM
My dad mixes up mine and a couple of my sisters' names

Like... ALL the time

He has for years

Peegee
09-12-2011, 04:26 PM
My dad mixes up mine and a couple of my sisters' names

Like... ALL the time

He has for years

both my parents do that repeatedly. I wonder if it's a language thing bc they never mix us up when using Chinese names.

Loony BoB
09-12-2011, 05:01 PM
First name: Daniel
Which apparently they hear as: David, Damien, or pretty much anything starting with 'D'. And then sometimes things that aren't even remotely linked to my name, like Ben, James, etc. I mean... how... I don't even... argh. :(
Surname: Towns
Which apparently they hears as: Downs, Townes, Townsend, Tones, Tons, Owns, etc.

The surnames are close. The first names are usually way off. People are weird.

sharkythesharkdogg
09-12-2011, 05:13 PM
Mistaking Townes for Towns is an understandable one. The rest are a little weird.

qwertysaur
09-12-2011, 08:34 PM
My last name is a very common first name, so I get called by it quite often. :|

rubah
09-12-2011, 08:38 PM
Not only do people always understand "Allison", but they always spell it correctly, and if they ever question the spelling, always get it right the first time.

Well, in the last few years. Historically I have had a y, c, and an extra s inserted into various places in my name.

Pumpkin
09-12-2011, 08:54 PM
I get called Ashley ALL THE TIME no matter how clearly I say my name I always get "Oh, so your name is Ashley?"

No, no it isn't.

My name is Ashton. It's not just a boy's name, okay?!?!?

sharkythesharkdogg
09-12-2011, 09:07 PM
It's too much trouble. I'm just going to start giving everyone pet names.

Ashton is now cupcake.
Julian is now dilf.
Megan is now sweetrage. (it was going to be "sweets of rage", but it's just too much even for me. Plus it's long.)
Clarissa is now puddin'.
I already made Melissa "Mel-icious"
Jake can be Teabag. I think he'll like it.
Stephanie can be Droid-ette.

I'm out of ideas, and none of those were good. I'll just give people random names.

Maybe it's time for a pet name thread? Someone get on that.

Cuchulainn
09-12-2011, 09:08 PM
people never get my name wrong. They know better. Wee dicks.

fire_of_avalon
09-12-2011, 09:17 PM
I know a certain Irishman that calls me pho.

Also sweets of rage made me lol

Peegee
09-12-2011, 10:11 PM
Not only do people always understand "Allison", but they always spell it correctly, and if they ever question the spelling, always get it right the first time.

Well, in the last few years. Historically I have had a y, c, and an extra s inserted into various places in my name.

rubahs
allies
julie
kalidesu
alisu
sheffie
bert bort

If I have a nickname for you, I simply haven't used it in a while and forgot. POST

Pumpkin
09-12-2011, 10:52 PM
YAY I have officially been integrated into this online society by being aknowledged by another member in a post that was not directed specifically at me.

I've made it big time :cool:

Pike
09-12-2011, 11:04 PM

I am assuming this is me and not some other Stephanie?

Man it's weird seeing my real name online...

NorthernChaosGod
09-12-2011, 11:05 PM
It's too much trouble. I'm just going to start giving everyone pet names.

Ashton is now cupcake.
Julian is now dilf.
Megan is now sweetrage. (it was going to be "sweets of rage", but it's just too much even for me. Plus it's long.)
Clarissa is now puddin'.
I already made Melissa "Mel-icious"
Jake can be Teabag. I think he'll like it.

I'm out of ideas, and none of those were good. I'll just give people random names.

Maybe it's time for a pet name thread? Someone get on that.
I approve. /smug

Kalilung
09-12-2011, 11:15 PM
Aww, puddin'. I aim to disappoint, just like my namesake.

Anyway, to weigh in on this thread, i have been called Clarice so many times since silence of the lambs came out. Also Clay, Melissa, Carissa, Kristen, and Marisa. And the misspellings of my name... just throw in any random letter between c and a and I guarantee it's happened.

I fully endorse nicknames. But i only have one to change from the list so far, and that is Dak to Cody. :|

sharkythesharkdogg
09-13-2011, 12:32 AM

That'd be you. I don't know many other lady-bots named Stephanie.

G13
09-13-2011, 02:16 AM
No one mixes my name up with others, but people are always misspelling it. Erik, Erick, a friend of mine once spelled it as Airyk. You'd think with how often it happens it wouldn't bother me, but it annoys the hell out of me.

Jiro
09-13-2011, 02:26 AM
Airyk is so left field that it might just work. Reminds me of this air freshener brand we have called Airwick 2in1

NorthernChaosGod
09-13-2011, 02:27 AM
Airyk
What the dicks. Did this person think you were born to batshit crazy celebrities?

Pike
09-13-2011, 02:28 AM

That'd be you. I don't know many other lady-bots named Stephanie.

Well, I figured I'd check. You never know, after all.

No one mixes my name up with others, but people are always misspelling it. Erik, Erick, a friend of mine once spelled it as Airyk. You'd think with how often it happens it wouldn't bother me, but it annoys the hell out of me.

Airyk is the most amazing way to spell it that I've ever seen.

G13
09-13-2011, 03:26 AM
One time, when I was still trying to be cool here, I told Roogle it was spelled 'Eirik' (why, I don't recall). Dude totally called me out on it in #eoff. Then he modded me, or whatever. Good times.

Jiro
09-13-2011, 04:22 AM
I have a friend whose last name is Griffiths. When he signed up for the poker tournament, his name was put down as Griffitotch.

Pike
09-13-2011, 04:25 AM
I now need to add a character named Airyk Griffitotch into the next book I write

You heard it here first, folks, someone screencap this

Jiro
09-13-2011, 04:43 AM
http://i53.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/2463ksh.jpg

Citizen Bleys
09-13-2011, 11:59 AM
Most bosses/teachers I've ever met call me Stacy, Samantha, or Sarah. For months. Or years.

Whatever, Steve.

You are now required to legally change your first name to Erdrick.

And then slay the Dragonlord

Old Manus
09-13-2011, 12:41 PM
Throughout my life I've had many people call me Thomas, even though that sounds absolutely nothing like James. At least 5 or 6 totally unrelated people have done it. I like to think it's because I was a Thomas in my past life, hopefully Edison but more likely some asshole like T.S Eliot.

NorthernChaosGod
09-13-2011, 03:01 PM
I now need to add a character named Airyk Griffitotch into the next book I write

I want to be in your book too. :(

Pike
09-13-2011, 04:17 PM

Whatever, Steve.

Funnily enough, Steve is my dad's name. The number of fairly important things (like the government, credit agencies, etc.) that have somehow gotten the two of us confused and caused problems is a very high number.

I want to be in your book too. :(

Don't worry, I'm sure at some point I'll make a thread begging for name ideas. Coming up with names is my weak point. :(

Yar
09-13-2011, 04:27 PM
Julian Elijah Hershberger, the Amish Mexican. There you go Pike, I gave you a story to write.

Pike
09-13-2011, 05:25 PM
Julian Elijah Hershberger, the Amish Mexican. There you go Pike, I gave you a story to write.

This must be done.

Peegee
09-13-2011, 07:35 PM

This must be done.

I already call Steph B Sheffie
and I call you Piku

wtf at the droid thing. your gynoid fantasies are out of control.

NorthernChaosGod
09-13-2011, 10:16 PM
I hate you, that's not even cool. :colbert:

Pike
09-14-2011, 02:25 AM
your gynoid fantasies are out of control.

Hux thinks it's hot, at least.

Carl the Llama
09-14-2011, 02:43 AM

Erik is an awesome name, its also the name of one of my all time favourite characters from a series of books, his name was Erik Von Darkmoor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erik_Von_Darkmoor) Hero of the Serpentwar Saga ^^

Lots of people at work call me Big Boss... which of course I love as I am a huge MGS fan ^^

Mercen-X
09-14-2011, 03:08 AM
I don't get people's names wrong. Because I'm perfect.
I pay attention when I learn someone's name and make a habit of identifying them by that name whenever I see them (even if we don't get the chance to talk or socialize in any way). The only name I've gotten wrong was a guy named Paulo (that's his middle name, I think his first name was something he considered horribly ordinary just like my first and middle names) whom I called Raimundo (he reminded me of a character from Xiaolin Showdown... how many times have I told this story?)

People don't remember my name because everybody else in the world is a self-centered a-hole. I bet nobody on this site even knows my name... and yes, it used to be displayed in my profile... but now if you want to know my name, you have to figure out where you can find that guy on Youtube who makes an ass out of himself singing songs without music.

G13
09-15-2011, 07:57 AM

Erik is an awesome name, its also the name of one of my all time favourite characters from a series of books, his name was Erik Von Darkmoor (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erik_Von_Darkmoor) Hero of the Serpentwar Saga ^^

You get points for being a Feist fan, and I will ignore that you spelled the greatest name ever conceived wrong.

Carl the Llama
09-16-2011, 01:00 AM

You get points for being a Feist fan, and I will ignore that you spelled the greatest name ever conceived wrong.

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/1721/83511416.jpg

I'm sorry, what?

G13
09-16-2011, 01:18 AM
Eric, with a c, is the greatest name ever. All other forms are pretenders.

Carl the Llama
09-16-2011, 02:25 AM
Eric, with a c, is the greatest name ever. All other forms are pretenders.

Clearly you are delusional, Erik >>>> Eric

Jiro
09-16-2011, 02:34 AM
Clearly you should combine them. Erick > your face

NorthernChaosGod
09-16-2011, 03:38 AM
Clearly you should combine them. Erick > your face
http://i56.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/1fhe84.jpg

Madame Adequate
09-16-2011, 04:01 AM
Getting dangerously close to Erdrick here, chaps. Let's tone it down before an admin has to step in.

Mercen-X
09-21-2011, 02:08 AM
Eric/Erik/Erick... just not a good name no matter how you spell it. Eric with a "c" is an anagram for rice so it's suitable for East Asians and perhaps Mexicans.

Erik is too Russian...

Erick wants to be cool but demands to much with that extra "E" at the beginning. Just go with Rick. Although Rick is a terrible name too. Sounds like wreck. Just change your name.

CimminyCricket
09-21-2011, 02:45 AM
My mom mistakenly calls me shit head all the time.

Miss_Lulu
09-21-2011, 09:35 AM
My mexican uncle insists on calling me Raquel because it either is my name in Spanish or is as close as it gets to my name in Spanish. One or the other, I can never remember.

My mother calls me Rose when she's upset with me, and my friends constantly shorten my name, Rach, Rachie, once it was even Roach. (I'm at a loss with that one).

Other than that, I don't really recall someone mistakenly calling me something else. Quite a bit of people have called, and still call me Julia. They do that on purpose though.