PDA

View Full Version : DLC & FF: A Possible Boon... If SE Ever Catches On

felfenix
09-12-2011, 12:24 AM
A lot of people have strong negative feelings about DLC, and it's true that many companies abuse and exploit it, removing content just to resell it as DLC and milk the game. However, there are a lot of potential benefits of having DLC in the FF series, and I would love to see SE start making use of it.

1) Remember the International versions of games?

FFX-2 International, for example, added a lot of extra story and cutscenes. It was a big mission added after the game's release. There were a lot of other neat features too.

What about FFXII International? That offered a job system, rebalanced gameplay, extra party control options, new locations, and even New Game Plus.

These weren't released in the US however, and even if they were, you'd have to buy the full game all over again, essentially. With DLC, you could pay to download these extra features, adding them to your game if you please. SE would also be able to release content much cheaper (on their end, and our end) that would have been "too risky" to try releasing in the US, like the International versions.

2) DLC extends the life of a game. Some new or extra content can go a long way in how much you play a game. A lot of people play through an FF once, then put it away for years. Even if you enjoyed a game, there's only so much of the same story/missions you can tolerate.

3) DLC allows them to further develop the game in hindsight. This is an extension of 1, but I think deserves further pointing out. The developers can further elaborate on story and character points they may want to, via added DLC content, instead of trying to think of some convoluted and halfassed sequel or something.

ShinGundam
09-12-2011, 12:39 AM
I don't think so, SQEX didn't make an international version of FFXIII because they rather to make a full scale sequel. Anyway I think SE will release DLCs as costumes like Dissidia.

felfenix
09-12-2011, 12:53 AM
This isn't in reference to FF13. This is about adding content and features via the DLC method, when they already would via an International version, or want to add small things but can't because there's not enough content to warrant another 60 dollar release. As mentioned in my post, if you bothered to read it: FF12 International added a New Game Plus feature onto FF12, as optional classes/missions. This is extra content onto the main game. Making these available via DLC could be profitable for SE, while offering players worldwide more practical options.

If they wanted to add a 100 floor dungeon with some cutscenes and a couple extra features onto FFXIII-2 post-release, would you rather just download the dungeon for 7-15 dollars, or pay an extra 60 dollars a year or two later, to get the same game you already have plus the extra dungeon and not even have the option to buy it at all if you're not in Japan? Some great examples of how DLC could be used is Lair of the Shadow Broker in Mass Effect 2, or if the International additions (new missions, cutscenes, char development, new jobs) were available as DLC. Things that aren't worth making a whole new game over, but would be welcome additions to the game, for many.

Bolivar
09-12-2011, 04:54 AM
I think it's a great idea, personally. DLC for really story driven titles like FF is a hard thing, especially when it's a game (or specifically an RPG) like FF that doesn't really focus on side quests and such. But using DLC as a supplement akin to the international version is a pretty great concept, getting an extra dungeon or two, some extra bosses and potentially new gameplay/customization options like the job classes in FFXII International (which I didn't like as much as my own jobs!). Throw in some developer commentary and you'd have an amazing $15 package.

Jessweeee♪
09-12-2011, 02:56 PM
DLC can be great for any game! But it kind of pisses me off when the "Downloadable" Content just unlocks what's already on the disc :|

Del Murder
09-12-2011, 03:29 PM
Yeah, I'm with Jesswe. I like the idea of additional content from games but something tells me that SE may be one of those companies that would purposefully leave out certain elements of the full game because they know people would buy them as DLC.

qwertysaur
09-12-2011, 06:24 PM
Yeah, I'm with Jesswe. I like the idea of additional content from games but something tells me that SE may be one of those companies that would purposefully leave out certain elements of the full game because they know people would buy them as DLC.
FFCC: My life as a King / My Life as a Dark Lord already does this. :|

Wolf Kanno
09-13-2011, 09:27 AM
Technically there were so many changes between FFXII and its International release I felt it actually warranted a new game. Though the FFX and X-2 examples are certainly inline with this.

I really don't like the idea of story being added, partly cause I'll always feel like it should have been there in the first place, but to be honest, I never cared for DLC, half of it is either stuff I felt should have been there to begin with, and the other half is irrelevant gimmicky stuff like costumes and weapons. I feel the DLC model works for some games like FPS, Racing, and Fighting games, but I feel RPGs or games with strong narratives in general can't really add content cause the main course is story and I don't feel like paying 5.99 for an extra dungeon and story segment that adds a world shattering plot twist to everything or adds much needed character development to someone, cause I'll always feel like I was cheated out of it, even if the stuff was actually written after the fact.

Shallow irrelevant stuff like special weapons and outfits would be fine and I can even see the appeal of a new optional dungeon or two. I am curious as to why SE doesn't do this very much, hell even Duodecim's DLC has dried up.