PDA

View Full Version : pocahontas; ruining your childhood

Hollycat
09-12-2011, 10:16 PM
Get ready to have Pocahontas ruined for you:

1. Pocahontas was only twelve when john smith left
2. Pocahontas married a John Rolfe
3. Pocahontas did not save Smith, smith wasnt being executed, he was being adopted, the ceremony involved literally beating the european out of him and she was the simbolic welcoming to his new home.
4. Pocahontas's name was not Pocahontas. Pocahontas was a nickname that meant, to put it real gently: one with many male friends

Pike
09-12-2011, 11:06 PM
It's okay; I knew most of this long before the movie came out

*is old*

Fynn
09-12-2011, 11:13 PM
Had it served to me during my American History lectures. I don't get what's so special about it. I still love the movie. Especially the music. Ah... The music...

For the record, John Rolfe appeared in the sequel (which was otherwise sucky).

Freya
09-12-2011, 11:31 PM
I have never had, even as a child, preconceived notions that disney = fact. I understood that it was for entertainment value. And damn good entertainment value. SO HAVEN'T RUINED ANYTHING. I win :colbert:

Hollycat
09-12-2011, 11:38 PM
I have never had, even as a child, preconceived notions that disney = fact. I understood that it was for entertainment value. And damn good entertainment value. SO HAVEN'T RUINED ANYTHING. I win :colbert:

dumbledore dies on page 673

Kokichi
09-12-2011, 11:52 PM
spoilers she dies only a year after marrying into royalty

Oh wait, how do I tag.

blackmage_nuke
09-13-2011, 12:37 AM
Mowgli wears Shere Khan like a coat and everyone dies in hunchback of Notre dame as well

Also none of them spoke english

Freya
09-13-2011, 12:40 AM

You're adopted :colbert:

Shlup
09-13-2011, 12:46 AM
Also, she wasn't really blue.

Hollycat
09-13-2011, 01:12 AM

I am your father
You're adopted :colbert:

rubah
09-13-2011, 01:38 AM
Also, she wasn't really blue.
what?

anyways, HC, you're at least a decade late on the ruining my childhood wrt Pocahontas. Next you'll try to tell me that the dog fur trade is alive and well in China and other underdeveloped nations, and that in the first world, many Dalmatian puppies went neglected because children wanted to have a spotty dog like in the cartoon, but were unwilling to care for them, not to mention all the genetic defects in the breed that went unmentioned in the movie.

Hollycat
09-13-2011, 02:41 AM
be honest, how many of you knew pocahontas was translated as little whore

Peegee
09-13-2011, 02:43 AM
what about mulan? she was 18 instead of a child or w/e disney portrayed
or snow white and the seven thieves?
or lion king / kimba the white lion
or mickey mouse?

:) a lot of disney is adaptation.

DMKA
09-13-2011, 03:49 AM
Also, The Little Mermaid throws herself into the sea while still in human form, disintegrates and dies, and has to remain in limbo for 200 years before she's allowed into heaven.

Pike
09-13-2011, 03:54 AM
Don't forget Atlantis the Lost Empire and Nadia Nadia vs. Atlantis? - Anime News Network (http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2001-05-15/2)

Although in fairness I don't care what anyone says, Atlantis is one of my favorite movies EVER

Jiro
09-13-2011, 04:31 AM
Anastasia is probably the most ficticious portrayal of anything historical by Disney.

Honestly though, I don't associate anything Disney does with the historical events or personages. It's just fiction. Awesome fiction.

TrollHunter
09-13-2011, 04:46 AM
Also, The Little Mermaid throws herself into the sea while still in human form, disintegrates and dies, and has to remain in limbo for 200 years before she's allowed into heaven.

Read it in creative writing, it was... it caught me by surprise.

qwertysaur
09-13-2011, 05:16 AM
Hercules goes berserk and kills Megera.
Aurora gets raped by Prince Phillip.

Disney makes some changes to the stories they adapt to films. :p

Pike
09-13-2011, 05:17 AM
Anastasia is probably the most ficticious portrayal of anything historical by Disney.

Honestly though, I don't associate anything Disney does with the historical events or personages. It's just fiction. Awesome fiction.

Man, I hate to be that guy, but Anastasia isn't Disney.

Still, I get your point! And yeah, another awesome movie.

Hollycat
09-13-2011, 06:37 AM
I love anastasia

NorthernChaosGod
09-13-2011, 03:07 PM
The only way to ruin childhoods is to show some rule 34.

(Don't show rule 34)

Mirage
09-13-2011, 04:28 PM
You think I'm an ignorant savage
And you've been so many places
I guess it must be so
But still I cannot see
If the savage one is me
How can there be so much that you don't know?
You don't know ...

You think you own whatever land you land on
The Earth is just a dead thing you can claim
But I know every rock and tree and creature
Has a life, has a spirit, has a name

You think the only people who are people
Are the people who look and think like you
But if you walk the footsteps of a stranger
You'll learn things you never knew you never knew

Have you ever heard the wolf cry to the blue corn moon
Or asked the grinning bobcat why he grinned?
Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains?
Can you paint with all the colors of the wind?
Can you paint with all the colors of the wind?

Come run the hidden pine trails of the forest
Come taste the sunsweet berries of the Earth
Come roll in all the riches all around you
And for once, never wonder what they're worth

The rainstorm and the river are my brothers
The heron and the otter are my friends
And we are all connected to each other
In a circle, in a hoop that never ends

How high will the sycamore grow?
If you cut it down, then you'll never know
And you'll never hear the wolf cry to the blue corn moon

For whether we are white or copper skinned
We need to sing with all the voices of the mountains
We need to paint with all the colors of the wind

You can own the Earth and still
All you'll own is Earth until
You can paint with all the colors of the wind

MJN SEIFER
09-13-2011, 04:40 PM
what about mulan? she was 18 instead of a child or w/e disney portrayed
or lion king / kimba the white lion
Mulan was 18 the Disney version, and Kimba/Lion King is an outdated false rumor.

Kossage
09-13-2011, 07:58 PM
I hold Pocahontas in high esteem. It's a wonderful movie with a fascinating story, awesome animation (just look at what Glen Keane did with Pocahontas! ^_^), great characterization, nice voice work and awesome music (Menken rocks my socks, and Schwartz's lyrics are awesome). Sure, it has some flaws, and the theatrical release sadly cut out the heartwarming "If I Never Knew You" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiuBw_kj1-U) (I think the movie is crippled without that song because it's so pivotal to Pocahontas's and Smith's character arcs), but thankfully that song and its bittersweet reprise were added to the film later on. I just hope that once it's released on Blu-ray in a fancy edition (hopefully... *knocks on wood*), the Finnish dub will finally include the scene because I really want to hear a Finnish version of that lovely song. :D

The sequel is a mixed bag. On the one hand I enjoyed some parts of it (Pocahontas's struggle between her love for Smith and Rolfe, the "fish out of water" scenario when she goes to London, Ratcliffe's greater villainous role and his domination through most of the movie) but on the other hand some parts had lackluster animation, and some questionable story choices. However, it did give us the lovely "Where Do I Go from Here" (http://youtu.be/UfTieVPjN7E) song, so it's not a total loss. In general even Disney's worst animated DTV sequels had at least interesting songs, and Pocahontas II is no exception to that rule. :)

rubah
09-13-2011, 09:03 PM
and Kimba/Lion King is an outdated false rumor.
is it?

Hollycat
09-13-2011, 09:10 PM
shitake mushrooms make me think of the mulan movie for some reason, that movie was ruined for me when I was told that mulan was actually abused after they found out she was a woman. Up till that point in the movie, I love that movie

MJN SEIFER
09-13-2011, 09:12 PM
is it? Yeah, if you ACTUALLY sit and compare the two they're nothing like each other save from stock images, and the fact they're lions.

rubah
09-13-2011, 09:33 PM
Stock images?

TrollHunter
09-13-2011, 10:24 PM
The only way to ruin childhoods is to show some rule 34.

(Don't show rule 34)

Oh no... not rule 34.
Nothing is safe.

MJN SEIFER
09-13-2011, 10:55 PM
Stock images?Images which could have been in any movie, like a random animal (in this case a lion) standing on a cliff.

DMKA
09-13-2011, 11:12 PM

FYI, Anastacia was a 20th Century Fox film by Don Bluth. Disney has absolutely no connection to it.

Shlup
09-13-2011, 11:45 PM
The prince raped and impregnated Sleeping Beauty, and she woke up to being a mother. The little mermaid, in addition to committing suicide, as mentioned, did so because the prince married someone else and she was supposed to murder him to keep her legs. The witch murdered Rapunzel, and the prince lept from the tower to kill himself, but survived only blinded by the thorns, and spent the rest of his days wandering and mourning his dead wife. Aladdin kidnapped the princess in the night, repeatedly, and she was terrified of him.

Disney is Disney.

rubah
09-14-2011, 01:07 AM
Well, I've never seen any other movies with a herd of wild herbivores stampeding at eye-level, or an animal hanging from a cliff by one paw, or a cloud formation that looks like your dad (http://www.kimbawlion.com/rant2.htm), but *shruggles*

At least they drew new poses and archetypes, unlike a lot of their other cartoons ;D

btw, stock images usually refers to images that are used exactly in other places, not just similar poses or POVs. e.g. istockphoto.com

Jiro
09-14-2011, 02:31 AM
Looks like I have a tutor to go and shout at for being misleading!

qwertysaur
09-14-2011, 02:43 AM
Alice's adventure in Wonderland was a drug trip. (this one is pretty obvious though :p)

TrollHunter
09-14-2011, 04:36 AM
Alice's adventure in Wonderland was a drug trip. (this one is pretty obvious though :p)

At least it was a good read.

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
09-14-2011, 06:58 AM
PocaHOntas.

EDIT: Hey Zues. I read through this whole thread just to make sure nobody else made that joke.

MJN SEIFER
09-14-2011, 12:45 PM
Actually, Alice in Wonderland is a pisstake on Mathemaics. Strange, but true.

NorthernChaosGod
09-14-2011, 03:22 PM
Actually, Alice in Wonderland is a pisstake on Mathemaics. Strange, but true.
I heard this as well. In fact, Wikipedia seems to agree on at least some symbolism.
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice%27s_Adventures_in_Wonderland#Writing_style_and_themes)

Martyr
09-15-2011, 03:21 PM
So Disney goes through all this work to take upsetting, pointlessly tragic stories and make them into wonderful, memorable tales of magic and love, and all we want to do is lambast that effort and creativity and cling to stories about sexually abused young Indian women, tortured mermaids, raped beauties and drugs and math?

I'm not a big fan of the inner workings of Disney World, but I think the movies, at least the ones I grew up with (I don't know much about the modern stuff), have a positive effect on childrens' imaginations and world view. But better than what we'd have if they were cartoon adaptations of real world horror.

And I didn't know that Pocahontas meant whore.

I find math equally or more horrifying than drugs

Mirage
09-15-2011, 03:29 PM
Did it mean whore though? I thought they said it means "one with many male friends". Just sleeping around doesn't make you a prostitute.

Martyr
09-15-2011, 03:38 PM
Judging by my infinitesmall understanding of history, I'd guess that they didn't respect Pocahontas, whoever she was, enough not to call her a whore.

But maybe it simply meant that she had a lot of guy friends. After all, dudes are totally chill, and girls are always sabotaging each other- or something like that. I hear this sort of argument very frequently among young women who surround themselves with men.

Hollycat
09-15-2011, 05:18 PM
When I said one with many male friends, I was putting it nicely, Pocahontas literaly means little whore

G13
09-15-2011, 05:43 PM
is it? Yeah, if you ACTUALLY sit and compare the two they're nothing like each other save from stock images, and the fact they're lions.

I dunno, the story seems familiar too. (http://www.kimbawlion.com/rant2.htm)

Mirage
09-15-2011, 07:17 PM
When I said one with many male friends, I was putting it nicely, Pocahontas literaly means little whore

well that clears things up

MJN SEIFER
09-15-2011, 08:36 PM

Oh, I have things to say about that article (thanks for linking to it so I don't have to look for it myself) Yeah, a lot of the things in that are wrong/exagerated. I'll make a new post for it so I don't go off topic.

But a slight preview - does this guy really think Kimba and Simba looked like each other when they were young? Does he think Kimba even looked like a lion when he was young?

demondude
09-15-2011, 08:44 PM
I don't like any Disney movies.

charliepanayi
09-15-2011, 09:30 PM
I don't like any Disney movies.

Nobody's perfect.

Araciel
09-16-2011, 01:49 AM
It's okay; I knew most of this long before the movie came out

*is old and how*

G13
09-16-2011, 06:41 AM
Aladdin kidnapped the princess in the night, repeatedly, and she was terrified of him.

I don't recall it happening that way, but it has been several years since I read it. From what I remember, he was to be married to her, after offering a ton of money for her hand, but the vizier tricked the sultan into letting his son marry her, so Aladdin used his lamp to wish her to his house each night so the marriage couldn't be consummated.

Wait... that's kind of like kidnapping. :-/

Oh, I have things to say about that article (thanks for linking to it so I don't have to look for it myself) Yeah, a lot of the things in that are wrong/exagerated. I'll make a new post for it so I don't go off topic.

But a slight preview - does this guy really think Kimba and Simba looked like each other when they were young? Does he think Kimba even looked like a lion when he was young?

I suppose you'd know better than I, assuming you've seen Kimba, but I remain a bit skeptical of your analysis nevertheless. If I hadn't read the article, just looking at the pictures accompanying it would have sold me. The cloud Mufasa, the Pride Rock pose, hanging from a cliff as the main antagonist watches, it all seems pretty similar, man. Even the names are the same! Kimba/Simba? That's a little too coincidental. I'll try and find a copy to watch, but until it's finished I'll be expecting an older version of the Lion King.