PDA

View Full Version : The Watch

Pumpkin
09-12-2011, 11:32 PM
I once met a guy with the most beautiful watch I had ever seen in my life. It spoke to me. I asked him where he got it and he refused to tell. I offered him money and he refused. So I set out on a mission to check every store I possibly could that sells watches in search of the same watch. I came out with nothing. He later told me his grandfather gave it to him. Well I have no idea where his grandfather lives and have no idea where to search for this watch. It's been six years, and the trail grows cold.

I am seeking assistance in my search for this watch. The watch has a thin leather band, a silver face and roman numerals. There are alot of watches that fit this description I am aware, but this one was special. I don't remember the brand which tells me it probably isn't all that well known.

If you see a watch that fits this description, please take a photo with one of your many photo taking devices and message it to me. If it is the same watch I will confirm it to you. Go buy it. I will give you my mailing address. Send me the watch along with the receipts for both the watch itself, and the shipping fees, as well as your return address. I will send you a money order for the amount.

Thank you for your help,
shion

I'm serious about this.

Pike
09-12-2011, 11:58 PM
Was it mechanical or quartz? I'm guessing mechanical if his grandfather gave it to him-- assuming it used to be his grandfather's. If you're not sure how to tell, do you recall if the seconds hand was "sweeping" around very smoothly, or was it ticking second by second? That will tell you your answer and will be a very good start to narrowing it down.

If I named off a bunch of watch brands do you think one might ring a bell?

I am assuming you didn't get to see the inside (movement) of this watch? Because a picture of that-- assuming this is a mechanical watch-- would be a dead giveaway to a good horologist.

...can you tell that I am in to this sort of thing?

Pumpkin
09-13-2011, 02:28 AM
It ticked and did not go smoothly.
I doubt I would recognize the brand. The only brands I would recognize are the big ones like Rolex, but like I said, since it doesn't stand out I don't think it's a brand I would recognize.

Jiro
09-13-2011, 02:33 AM
Nah can't tell at all :monster:

I am deeply moved by your devotion to finding this watch.

Pike
09-13-2011, 02:43 AM
It ticked and did not go smoothly.

Okay, so it's a quartz. That muddies things up quite a bit; I'm a sucker for mechanicals (especially vintage) and know a lot more about them, and they're generally a lot easier to ID as well. :( I'll keep an eye out, though.

sharkythesharkdogg
09-13-2011, 06:12 PM
The odds of someone finding it are so unlikely. If I see one that fits the description and I remember, I'll snap a picture with my cell phone and post it up here.

I'm skeptical, but I'm rooting for you. Good luck! :kakapo:

Pumpkin
09-13-2011, 08:20 PM
Thank you.

I know it's a long shot but it's worth a try.

demondude
09-14-2011, 10:08 PM
I'm too poor so I draw my watch on, which is fine because it's always on time at 1:34pm. And according to my watch it's always 1:34pm so by my infallible logic my watch is always right. I've saved so much money.

Loony BoB
09-15-2011, 12:17 PM
...why don't you - or your friend - take a photo of your friend's watch? Otherwise this will be quickly narrowed down to about a thousand watches.

Pumpkin
09-15-2011, 08:00 PM
because I havn't seen him in 3 years

Psychotic
09-15-2011, 08:35 PM
Was your friend's name Bernard?

Pumpkin
09-15-2011, 08:44 PM
It was not.
His name was Thomas but he told me it was Oliver, which I later found out from his birth cirtificate was a LIE!!!!

demondude
09-15-2011, 08:47 PM
That sounds a wee bit stalkerish that you looked at his birth certificate.

Pumpkin
09-15-2011, 08:50 PM
I wasn't stalking him, I just stole his wallet.

demondude
09-15-2011, 08:51 PM
Oh, okay.

Rantz
09-15-2011, 09:15 PM
Who doesn't steal a wallet every now and then?

Every time I see this thread's title I think someone's taking the black.

Pumpkin
09-15-2011, 09:20 PM
Well he stole my boots so I stole his wallet so he would give them back and then he stole my skis and

anyways we're kind of getting off topic here.

demondude
09-15-2011, 09:23 PM
Did you call the Police at any stage during this war of attrition?

Pumpkin
09-15-2011, 09:26 PM
I did not.

NorthernChaosGod
09-15-2011, 09:55 PM
I wasn't stalking him, I just stole his wallet.
1. Who keeps their birth certificate on them?
2. What retarded State issues them small enough to fit in a wallet?
:confused:

Pumpkin
09-15-2011, 10:02 PM
I have my birth cirtificate in my wallet for identification puposes when people decide that a driver's liscence isn't good enough. And here in CANADA we get a long form and a short form which is basically a little square of paper about the size of a drivers liscence that fits easily into a wallet and costs less to replace.

NorthernChaosGod
09-15-2011, 10:04 PM
Eww, Canada.

Pumpkin
09-15-2011, 10:06 PM
Eww, California.

Sorry, I dunno about all of Canada but in Ontario at least.

demondude
09-15-2011, 10:09 PM
I stole my brother's carebear once and there was UN intervention.

Pumpkin
09-15-2011, 10:18 PM
Well, clearly you crossed a line. All I ever stole was a wallet. And some other stuff.

Psychotic
09-15-2011, 10:49 PM
when people decide that a driver's liscence isn't good enough.Which people? Especially seeing as how a driver's license has a photo on it. Canada is a weird place. South Park got it right.

Pumpkin
09-15-2011, 10:51 PM
People like the passport office and driving school.

Psychotic
09-15-2011, 10:55 PM
Maybe I'm wrong, and maybe in wacky wacky Canada they are, but they're not places that people visit on such a regular basis so as to necessitate a birth certificate having a permanent place in the ol' wallet.

Pumpkin
09-15-2011, 10:58 PM
You never know when someone will ambush you on the street and demande to see your birth cirtificate. You have to be prepared.

Psychotic
09-15-2011, 11:05 PM
Oh I'm more than prepared for those circumstances! Although strangely my birth certificate bears more than a passing resemblance to a can of bear mace. There was probably a mix up at the registry office or something.

Iceglow
09-15-2011, 11:25 PM
Who doesn't steal a wallet every now and then?

Every time I see this thread's title I think someone's taking the black.

I took the black a long time ago.

See leather watch strap would probably need replacing every 3 - 5 years due to wear and tear or sweat rot depending on the person who owns it. Therefore identifying the strap may be pointless. Your objective is to identify not the strap but the watch face/mechanism itself. As pointed out by Pike, quartz watches are seriously common. Pretty much every single watch out there is a quartz watch. Those with Roman Numerals are almost equally as common, it is actually rarer for a quartz watch face to have a full set of numbers 1 - 12. Far more common for it to bear the 12, 3, 6 and 9 with the rest of them as "ticks" on the screen or as numerals since these often fit tidier on to the dial or look better.

The size of the watch mechanism/face would help too you say it had a thin strap on but as pointed out the likelihood of that being the original strap is nil. If it was truly his grandfather's watch then it would one assume be in the region of 50+ years old. Even 40+ years old we're talking an average of 8 - 45 straps minimum.

Pumpkin
09-15-2011, 11:29 PM
It was an overall small watch.
Also, the watch looked fairly new so I think by him saying his grandfather gave it to him he meant as a present because it most certainly did not look 50+ years old.

Pumpkin
09-15-2011, 11:38 PM
Sorry I know I'm not supposed to double post but I found a pic that looks almost like it. Except the hands were shapped different and not blue

http://cdn.raymond-weil.com/WATCHES.img/watches/2837-STC-00308.png

NorthernChaosGod
09-15-2011, 11:52 PM
If it's similar to that watch, can't you just look up the company and browse for similar styles? :confused:

People like the passport office and driving school.
Most official documents require a birth certificate anyway, but I don't see how that requires carrying one in your wallet. Especially since in the US you need to show a birth certificate to even get an ID or driver's license.

Pike
09-16-2011, 12:23 AM
It was an overall small watch.
Also, the watch looked fairly new so I think by him saying his grandfather gave it to him he meant as a present because it most certainly did not look 50+ years old.

That's what I'd assume it means also. It's not going to have belonged to his grandfather (for very long, anyway) if it's a quartz.

If it's similar to that watch, can't you just look up the company and browse for similar styles? :confused:

You probably wouldn't get very far. The watch in the picture is a.) an automatic (mechanical) and b.) supposedly Swiss made. Which means it's a.) going to be expensive and b.) said company is probably not in the business of manufacturing cheapo quartzes, which is what Shion's watch is. The watch may "look" similar but that would be where any similarities end. That's all just an educated guess on my part, of course.

I am afraid, Shion, that you are going to have a tough time unless you manage to get the name of the company that made the watch or get a picture or something.

P.S. In case anyone cares (...*cricket chirp*...) the watch hands in the picture Shion posted are called Breguet hands and are sort of a sign of a classy watch. :3

Pumpkin
09-16-2011, 12:28 AM
Yar, that watch is sold at a store very close to where I go to school but it isn't the one I want. I was just giving an idea of what it looks like.

NorthernChaosGod
09-16-2011, 02:14 AM
Pike, you know a lot about watches.

Pike
09-16-2011, 04:27 AM
Yes. Yes I do. Entirely too much, in fact.

This is what mine looks like, by the way. :monster: It's super neat to watch the balance wheel and all the other parts spin around!

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a109/Pikestaff/P12599466.jpg

Agent Proto
09-16-2011, 04:48 AM
Thin black leather band: Check
Silver face: Check
Roman numerals: Check

Just going by the descriptions and basing it on the picture of the watch you used that is very similar to the watch you are looking for, I believe I might have found your watch...

http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00gvzQjPJWfMkS/Classic-Sports-Quartz-Round-Case-Leather-Strap-Pair-Watch-WTW4775711-.jpg

lol, made in China.

It's close enough. :shobon:

NorthernChaosGod
09-16-2011, 05:47 AM
Yes. Yes I do. Entirely too much, in fact.

This is what mine looks like, by the way. :monster: It's super neat to watch the balance wheel and all the other parts spin around!

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a109/Pikestaff/P12599466.jpg
When I decide to spoil myself with a watch, I'm coming to you.

Jiro
09-16-2011, 05:50 AM
All this watch talk makes me want to buy a new one. I like the little blue hands, they're wicked.

Loony BoB
09-16-2011, 11:18 AM
I didn't know watches were worn by people these days. I thought it was an old-person thing. You know, people who don't have mobile phones. If I'm gonna wear something on my wrist, it sure as hell better be a TMNT slap-on... thing. Whatever they were called. Man, those were so cool. In the 80's.

Martyr
09-16-2011, 11:58 AM
Every time I see this thread, I think of Pulp Fiction.

I have no idea how do find your watch though. I know somebody who might, but he's not my friend. He's a distant friend of my father who we see about once every 3-6- years, and I don't know how to contact him and he lives about 1200 miles away.

Iceglow
09-16-2011, 03:04 PM
I wonder if Pike wants to help me pick a nice mechanical with auto winding :) I need a watch.

Pike
09-16-2011, 03:23 PM
I didn't know watches were worn by people these days. I thought it was an old-person thing.

Oh man I know I'm old but I can't fathom not having a watch D: I had to go without a watch for a few days a couple years back when my last one broke and it drove me nuts. I felt completely naked.

I wonder if Pike wants to help me pick a nice mechanical with auto winding :) I need a watch.

Gimme a price range and I'll give you a list of good solid companies/brands. That offer is for anyone in the thread, by the way! :jess:

Loony BoB
09-16-2011, 04:02 PM
I'm looking for something in the £0-10 range which has the kind of look to it that could convince an average watch-wanting person that it is worth significantly more. Preferrably something that looks new and could be sold on eBay.

Madame Adequate
09-16-2011, 04:38 PM
I have never once, in my life, managed to keep a watch for one week without losing it. I don't know what it is, but they seem to be so deathly averse to me that they will jump into a dimensional portal or something in order to escape.

Pike
09-16-2011, 05:06 PM
I'm looking for something in the £0-10 range which has the kind of look to it that could convince an average watch-wanting person that it is worth significantly more. Preferrably something that looks new and could be sold on eBay.

...fake Rolex?

Pumpkin
09-16-2011, 08:14 PM
Thin black leather band: Check
Silver face: Check
Roman numerals: Check

Just going by the descriptions and basing it on the picture of the watch you used that is very similar to the watch you are looking for, I believe I might have found your watch...

http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00gvzQjPJWfMkS/Classic-Sports-Quartz-Round-Case-Leather-Strap-Pair-Watch-WTW4775711-.jpg

lol, made in China.

It's close enough. :shobon:

It's not the watch but it is incredibly similar. Except for the yellow on the side. How much is it and where is it?

Jiro
09-18-2011, 04:32 AM
WE ALMOST HAVE A VICTORY LADIES AND GENTLEMEN.

I feel honoured to be apart of this event :shobon: