PDA

View Full Version : ATTENTION Final Fantasy X HD CONFIRMED for PS3 and PS Vita

ShinGundam
09-14-2011, 06:20 AM
ATTENTION

Square Enix are remaking Final Fantasy X for the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita.

HD BLITZBALL.

http://i51.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/2hnc3ub.jpg

http://i53.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/n20adz.jpg

nirojan
09-14-2011, 06:26 AM
Oh you sly bastard you beat me to it. Here I am staying up past midnight....but of course Shin was going to post it up first :(

But im still happy for the HD release!

Jiro
09-14-2011, 06:27 AM
I am interested in this, but it also brings me to a very important question.

What the fuck did they skip VII through IX for? Hell, I think it's really V through IX that they've just kind of abandoned here.

qwertysaur
09-14-2011, 06:57 AM
This is unexpected. Finally I might get the chance to fight the dark aeons. :bigsmile:

Yar
09-14-2011, 07:04 AM
lol.

Pete for President
09-14-2011, 07:22 AM
Mixed feelings as always. It's great people without a PS2 and a PS2 version of the game can check out this masterpiece, but I do have something against new HD-version reviews. The other day ICO got reviewed and bashed on it's AI. Well yeah, that part hasn't been touched in 10 years. It's just the graphics upgrade you get. But of course, a lot of people don't get that.

I think a game loses it's charm when it is 'upgraded' to newer graphics and such.

Rostum
09-14-2011, 07:42 AM
What the smurf did they skip VII through IX for?

SE: "HD REMAKES OF FFVII IS WAY TOO HARD TO DO"
Moments later...
SE: "HERE IS FFX REMAKE LOLOLOLOLOLOL" *troll face*

In all seriousness, whilst it isn't my most favourite of the series I certainly loved the atmosphere of the game and am looking forward to this. The announcement was completely out of the blue though!

qwertysaur
09-14-2011, 07:50 AM
I bet this came from someone joking about new ways they can put off Versus XIII as long as possible. :p

Jiro
09-14-2011, 10:41 AM
I bet this came from someone joking about new ways they can put off Versus XIII as long as possible. :p

Would not surprise me.

Rostum
09-14-2011, 11:32 AM
Well, I doubt the dev team on Versus XIII would be working on this.

Nebulance
09-14-2011, 01:05 PM
I certainly can't wait for this. I loved it on PS2, but if you try to play that game on an HDTV (even with playing with the display so it doesn't get all messed up) it just looks terrible now. I want to go back and do a lot of things on X, but I just can't because of those damn graphics -- I can't take it. Anyway, this made my day. :D

Mirage
09-14-2011, 01:10 PM
A HD remake of FFX is probably much easier to do than one of FF7, simply because that game is already entirely in 3D. FF7 would need a lot more work done to it before those 2D backgrounds could be converted to 3D. That's why.

Also, I hope they put FF12 and FFX-2 in the same package.

I think a game loses it's charm when it is 'upgraded' to newer graphics and such.
I don't. And it's not as much "newer graphics" as it is simply the same game running at a higher resolution.

Jessweeee♪
09-14-2011, 02:25 PM
I'm looking forward to the Vita. I haven't been excited about a device before launch since I was a little kid!

Rostum
09-14-2011, 02:47 PM
A HD remake of FFX is probably much easier to do than one of FF7, simply because that game is already entirely in 3D. FF7 would need a lot more work done to it before those 2D backgrounds could be converted to 3D. That's why.

Oh I know, I was just messing around.

They're not going to remake art assets. They're going to use higher resolution textures, make the game at 720p or 1080p, and put in some anti-aliasing. If we're lucky we'll get a few extra things other than trophies/acheivements. :)

Just like what they are doing with ICO / Shadow of the Colossus and what they did with God of War 1 and 2.

I'm looking forward to the Vita. I haven't been excited about a device before launch since I was a little kid!

Really? What line up of games are you looking foward to except for HD ports of older games?

Jessweeee♪
09-14-2011, 02:55 PM

Really? What line up of games are you looking foward to except for HD ports of older games?

None, unless you count Persona 4: The Golden. I just really like portability. And I miss my PS2.

Also look at this outfit, don't tell me this isn't the most adorable hat:

http://andriasang.com/comxv1/23dmh.jpg

Mirage
09-14-2011, 03:49 PM

Oh I know, I was just messing around.

They're not going to remake art assets. They're going to use higher resolution textures, make the game at 720p or 1080p, and put in some anti-aliasing. If we're lucky we'll get a few extra things other than trophies/acheivements. :)
I'm not sure they'll even going to give us higher res textures.

Jessweeee♪
09-14-2011, 04:20 PM
I hope we can get goodies like Dark Aeons and Ribbons o:

Hollycat
09-14-2011, 04:23 PM
I has a happy

champagne supernova
09-14-2011, 04:58 PM
X will be good as a remake. Don't know if I'd get it or not though. I did love Blitzball and I never beat all the Dark Aeons. I hope they package X-2 in with X. X-2 might get a lot of hate, but it is still a lot of fun.

And, most excitingly, they're going to remake it for XII. And then I'll replay the game and realise that it is actually awesome, but they buried its entire awesomeness as a secret for special people.

Levian
09-14-2011, 05:51 PM
Graphic updates doesn't really mean much to me. Trophies would be nice though, then it'd actually mean something to dodge 200 lightning bolts.

Jessweeee♪
09-14-2011, 05:56 PM
I don't know, I think the weapon upgrade you receive as a prize is a million more times better than a pop up letting me know I did the thing I just did xD

Levian
09-14-2011, 06:03 PM
But the feeling of knowing that you are better than your friends. :mog:

I don't use Lulu around the end of the game anyway.

qwertysaur
09-14-2011, 06:43 PM
The most useful part of having a trophy for dodging 200 bolts is you do not need to keep track of how many you dodged. Miscounting and dodging 199 is very depressing. :(

Hollycat
09-14-2011, 06:45 PM
I've never managed to dodge even one

Jessweeee♪
09-14-2011, 06:48 PM
The most useful part of having a trophy for dodging 200 bolts is you do not need to keep track of how many you dodged. Miscounting and dodging 199 is very depressing. :(

Everybody knows you have to go for an extra twenty just to be safe!

Nebulance
09-14-2011, 07:05 PM
I don't know, I think the weapon upgrade you receive as a prize is a million more times better than a pop up letting me know I did the thing I just did xD

I completely agree! I never understood why people love trophies so much. It's a pop-up message. Awesome (?)

Hollycat
09-14-2011, 07:26 PM
I dont know, If I dodged lightning 200 times in real life I'd want someone to acknowledge it

Shaibana
09-14-2011, 07:59 PM
HAHAHA Final fantasy X for ps3?
Omg, this is what ive bin wishing for for ages :D
i had FFX for ps2, but never got to finish it becaus i got stuck!!
than i sold my ps2 to get a ps3 :o

100% that im gonna buy it!!

@ throphees
i dont understand either..
than u have platinum throphees et etc.. than what?
what do u have? what have u reached?
all u get out of it is alot of wasted time

Del Murder
09-14-2011, 08:09 PM
I'll get it only if they redo the voice acting.

charliepanayi
09-14-2011, 08:22 PM
I'll get it only if they redo the voice acting.

The only voices I disliked in FFX were Yuna and Lulu. Auron and Bender, I mean Wakka were especially great.

This all seems somewhat superfluous but it gets the internet arguing so I'm all for it.

Jessweeee♪
09-14-2011, 08:43 PM
I thought Lulu's was actually one of the nicer ones! Yuna's dialogue was probably the messiest, but comparing her voice actress's FFX performance with FFX-2, I think it's more to do with Yuna's formal way of speaking making it difficult to match English words with Japanese animation.

Hollycat
09-14-2011, 09:02 PM
Im only buying it if they remove the "laughing" part

Mirage
09-14-2011, 09:03 PM
The laughing part is as intended. It was never meant to sound real.

Hollycat
09-14-2011, 09:09 PM
I hate it

Jessweeee♪
09-14-2011, 09:30 PM
That's my favorite part!

Del Murder
09-14-2011, 10:32 PM
That's my favorite part!
Wow. You played the whole game, right?

I think the crappy voice acting was a combination of bad dialogue (perhaps bad translation?) and bad acting. Tidus and Yuna were pretty terrible and they were most of the show. Auron was good, Lulu & Wakka were ok. Most of the NPCs sucked. Obviously it isn't all on the actors because Wakka's voice actor has been great in other things.

I hope they redo it all in this remake. That would make me really excited for it, because FFX was a pretty great game once I got past the voicing.

charliepanayi
09-14-2011, 10:52 PM
I really doubt they're going to go to the trouble of doing the voice tracks all over again, they chose to remaster this as it wouldn't need too much work.

Del Murder
09-14-2011, 11:00 PM
One can dream.

Laddy
09-14-2011, 11:00 PM
Rework Tidus and Yuna's voices. Re-translate the game, and PLEASE change Tidus' design.

Rostum
09-14-2011, 11:18 PM
Honestly I think the bad voice acting comes from the cheesy as hell dialogue and limitations in the technology back then (which also includes limitations in how it's produced).

I do hope they eventually get around to porting XII to the PS3.

Roogle
09-14-2011, 11:47 PM
I was under the impression that this is simply a port of Final Fantasy X with some edits to the graphics to allow it to display better in high definition. Is this a correct assumption or is there actually a remake of the entire game planned?

nirojan
09-15-2011, 01:23 AM
I was under the impression that this is simply a port of Final Fantasy X with some edits to the graphics to allow it to display better in high definition. Is this a correct assumption or is there actually a remake of the entire game planned?

Nope, that's pretty much it. It's an up-rez (like God of War, Ico collection, MGS, POP, etc.) It's not a "remake" as in them redoing assets and such, but it is something to look forward to as alot of newer FF fans maybe haven't played it or some other guys just probably want to see FFX on their trophy list. Whatever the case, im getting it nevertheless!

Kokichi
09-15-2011, 01:54 AM
HA HA HA HA HA.

So, will this include International content too? I haven't read the original post yet.

Melodies_of_life
09-15-2011, 03:46 AM
Honestly because of all the remakes they've been doing I think they're keeping something up their sleeves. They're conspiring against the fans saying that the ps1 ff games are too hard to remake. It wouldn't surprise me if they've been working on them this whole time and just keeping tight lipped about it. That's something I would do just to surprise the crap out of people. lol.

As for X on ps3, I'm all for it. Then again I'm all for just about any upgrade in graphics and sound that a good game can offer. Kingdom Hearts on PS3 anyone? JK Seriously though, I think this will be another good thing for the series. ;)

Pete for President
09-15-2011, 10:59 AM

Word!

Jessweeee♪
09-15-2011, 02:20 PM
I don't know if it would be practical, but if they could adjust the animations and voice tracks to fix lines that were very obviously sped up to fit the animation that would be neat.

"I wanted to see Yuna's statue, too. But I wanted to see it withyunabymyside."

Old Manus
09-15-2011, 03:05 PM
I already play it in HD using PCSX2 and turning off the native resolution limit, the way it's MEANT to be played. Keep hating yall

Carl the Llama
09-16-2011, 03:56 AM

I'm only buying it if they KEEP the "laughing" part.

qwertysaur
09-16-2011, 05:33 AM
Just remember the laughing scene is supposed to be really bad on Yuna's part. :p

Jessweeee♪
09-16-2011, 02:18 PM

I'm only buying it if they KEEP the "laughing" part.

Bonus points if they substitute it with Japanese Tidus Crow Noises!

Del Murder
09-16-2011, 07:50 PM
I'd like to see the laughing scene in the Japanese version of the game. It still sticks out to me as one of the worst scenes in any FF game ever (or video game for that matter) and I want to see if the voice acting is what did it.

Jessweeee♪
09-16-2011, 08:35 PM
FFX: Undub - 22 "Laughing scene" (Japanese) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAgVjH9V9Ps)
Skip to 7:30

I don't think there was any voice acting. I think they just put a crow in the studio.

black orb
09-16-2011, 09:04 PM
>>> YES!!!! YES!!! YES!!! Squarenix is finally making something good for a change..:luca:

Depression Moon
09-17-2011, 02:44 AM
I do miss my PS2, but on the other hand I already have this game. I'm a cheap bastard.

Shaibana
09-17-2011, 12:06 PM
.. omg what an awkward painfull laugh...

Jessweeee♪
09-18-2011, 08:37 PM
All of the complaining going on at other websites is crazy. Nobody gave a shit when FFVII got ported to PSP, and nobody bitched and moaned about FFVIII and FFIX getting ported, but now FFX is going to a handheld and all hell breaks loose xD

Mirage
09-19-2011, 03:55 AM
FF7-9 weren't ported, though :p. The PSP just got an official emulator for PS1 games :p.

Shaibana
09-19-2011, 10:54 AM
i really dont see the problem...
isnt it a good thing that ps2 games come to ps3/psp?
nowadays the ps2 hardly sells

WhiteStorm
09-19-2011, 09:28 PM
Uhm... how about remaking something worthy of HD like FF6? :mad2:

Mirage
09-19-2011, 09:30 PM
How about realizing that no one is remaking anything, and that this is a port?

champagne supernova
09-19-2011, 09:58 PM
How about realizing that no one is remaking anything, and that this is a port? It's slightly more than a port because they are upping the resolution. I think that makes it something more.

Mirage
09-19-2011, 10:01 PM
I disagree. Changing the resolution is probably as hard for their programmers as it is for you to cook a frozen pizza.

As long as nothing in the game is "made anew", I don't consider it a re-make.

charliepanayi
09-19-2011, 10:55 PM
How about realizing that no one is remaking anything, and that this is a port? It's slightly more than a port because they are upping the resolution. I think that makes it something more.

Not really, it's like a film that was only previously out on DVD coming out on Blu-Ray and people claiming it's a remake.

Hollycat
09-19-2011, 11:12 PM
no its more like black and white movie to blue ray with technicolor

Freya
09-20-2011, 07:39 AM
I hope they tweak blitzball a little. I love the game but it could use for some improvements. heh

Hollycat
09-20-2011, 03:37 PM
I hope they tweak blitzball a little. I love the game but it could use for some improvements. heh

agreed

Karifean
09-20-2011, 04:08 PM
Wow, Spoony's gonna hate this.

Jessweeee♪
09-20-2011, 05:04 PM

agreed

As long as I can make everyone swim in circles on a whim.

Bolivar
09-20-2011, 07:59 PM
I think this is awesome, as soon as I got my PSP I downloaded FFVII, VIII, and Tactics. I had a blast and beat VII playing exclusively portable, and have a good play time on VIII and Tactics. I'm looking forward to having the same experience on the Vita and can't wait to see how this'll look on the OLED screen.

I don't think they'd have to do all that for FFVII to be remastered... The team behind the first God of War collection got the game done in an insanely small amount of time, the original developers were blown away that they had the first level running almost immediately.

I think it all comes down to (or could come down to) emulation. There's emulators that make these games look better than licensed studios ever could, and that's on computer monitors, which have vastly more pixels than High Definition televisions. I think Sony just makes really bad official emulators.

Mirage
09-20-2011, 08:52 PM
Yeah and like FFX, GoW 1 and 2 are already entirely in 3D, again, unlike FF7.

And if you take yer emulator idea as an example, the games that turn out the best on emulators, are those that are almost entirely in 3D. Games that use lots of sprites and 2D backdrops tend to end up looking pretty bad.

Regardless, emulators are really just a fall-back for games that haven't been properly ported to a better platform. A game that runs natively on any given platform will almost always perform better. Also, Sony has demonstrated pretty clearly that they either do not have the necessary skills to do a PS2 emulator on PS3, or that they do not wish to spend money on this.

Bolivar
09-21-2011, 06:07 PM
As I've already said, there's emulators that can get the game to run better than it ever did on its native platform. I do this with SNES RPGs all the time and I've seen a friend play FFTactics, a game with a ton of sprites, and it looked incredible on his monitor, which, again, has far more pixels and higher resolutions than current HDTVs.

People play FFVII-IX in high definition resolutions every day, just not in an official retail package.

And Sony already made a PS2 emulator, 80GB models used them, whereas the original 60GB did it directly through hardware. I think they took it out because PS2 sales weren't quite done yet, and they wanted to have projects like these.

Rostum
09-21-2011, 11:43 PM
People think they play FFVII-IX in high definition resolutions every day, just not in an official retail package.

FTFY.

Mirage
09-22-2011, 01:39 AM
As I've already said, there's emulators that can get the game to run better than it ever did on its native platform. I do this with SNES RPGs all the time and I've seen a friend play FFTactics, a game with a ton of sprites, and it looked incredible on his monitor, which, again, has far more pixels and higher resolutions than current HDTVs.

People play FFVII-IX in high definition resolutions every day, just not in an official retail package.

And Sony already made a PS2 emulator, 80GB models used them, whereas the original 60GB did it directly through hardware. I think they took it out because PS2 sales weren't quite done yet, and they wanted to have projects like these.
So his emulator recreated high resolution, not interpolated sprites from scratch, based on low res sprites? He should show this technology to a game developer, he could make millions of dollars, cause this would be nothing short of ground-smurfing-breaking tech.

Secondly, no, the early PS3s did not rely on software emulation to play PS2 games. They included actual PS2 hardware to perform this function, exactly because they had not been able to develop software that could successfully and efficiently emulate PS2 games. And are either still not able to, or simply do not want to because of some retarded corporate decision. This hardware was removed from later PS3s in order to cut costs, or so Sony claims, and therefore we no longer get that feature.

Bolivar
09-24-2011, 08:14 PM
So his emulator recreated high resolution, not interpolated sprites from scratch, based on low res sprites? He should show this technology to a game developer, he could make millions of dollars, cause this would be nothing short of ground-smurfing-breaking tech.

No, it didn't. I'm not sure how familiar you are with emulators, but many of the longest-running ones, even for 16-bit games with 2d artwork, can reformat the visuals to make it look like they were naturally prepared for widescreen, make the colors more vibrant than ever, and overall make all of the art look absolutely awesome at higher resolutions than modern HDTVs can produce. I played Shining Force a year or two before Sega released its Ultimate Genesis Collection and, while they did an awesome job, it wasn't all that much more impressive than the version I was already playing. Speaking of which, if Sega could outsource this very thing for 40+ 16-bit classics in a quick little project, how hard do you really think it would be for Square to do the same for just a few games?

Secondly, no, the early PS3s did not rely on software emulation to play PS2 games. They included actual PS2 hardware to perform this function, exactly because they had not been able to develop software that could successfully and efficiently emulate PS2 games. And are either still not able to, or simply do not want to because of some retarded corporate decision. This hardware was removed from later PS3s in order to cut costs, or so Sony claims, and therefore we no longer get that feature.

Me: "And Sony already made a PS2 emulator, 80GB models used them, whereas the original 60GB did it directly through hardware."

C'mon, man, I know your reading comprehension's better than that. Also, are you unaware of the generally common knowledge that they took hardware emulation out of later PS3 models and used software emulation in the 80GB models instead? That's pretty much a known fact. It was later taken out of the later 80GB iterations which also had 2 USB ports instead of 4. It's not hard to google.

Mirage
09-24-2011, 09:14 PM
Even if i misread that sentence, I'm still right. The later PS3 models still had PS2 parts in them. The first PS3 models that had the best PS2 support had both the CPU and GPU chips. The later ones had only the PS2 GPU, and the compatibility suffered noticably from having only that. It was then dropped completely, at the same time as they stopped putting PS2 GPUs inside their PS3s. Coincidence? I think not.

And the only reformating of 2D any emulator can do is to interpolate graphics, and the results, while less blocky, are not in any way more detailed. They are just smeared out in a way that sort of looks nicer.

It would be nice if you could find good examples of emulators making 2D graphics look better, that didn't just involve some sort of interpolation or bilinear filtering. I'm also curious as to how they make the visuals look like they were prepared for widescreen.

As for the more vibrant colors point, that doesn't sound like it's anything that can't be done with just plain old changing of TV settings, except that it's just for a single program instead of the entire monitor. But again, please show me!

I have played lots of old 2D games on lots of emulators, but quite frankly it just sounds like I have a sharper eye for graphical quality than you do.

Timerk
09-25-2011, 02:31 AM
I'd love a version of FFX where the cast didn't alternate ethnicity between in-game sprites and cut scenes, but I don't think this is going to be it.

Rostum
09-25-2011, 02:39 AM
No, it didn't. I'm not sure how familiar you are with emulators, but many of the longest-running ones, even for 16-bit games with 2d artwork, can reformat the visuals to make it look like they were naturally prepared for widescreen, make the colors more vibrant than ever, and overall make all of the art look absolutely awesome at higher resolutions than modern HDTVs can produce.

yer still not playing HD versions of the game. Just upscaling an incredibly small resolution and putting a fancy filter on it does not mean it's high resolution. Despite what CSI shows, you can't upscale an image and magically generate fine detail from it.

The only way to really replicate a 16:9 ratio for something that was only ever created for a 4:3 ratio, you would need to either upscale it even more and cut out the top and bottom of the image, or stretch the tit out of it. Again, you can't just magically generate more art for the game if it wasn't originally created when the game was released. Filters don't correct this issue.

Luckily for FFX, if Square adhere to the standard workflow and pipelines with creating art for video games, then they already have all their textures in ridiculously high resolution formats whilst painting them, where they would have scaled it down for the PS2 release. The only issue would be going through and generating normal/specular maps, but I'm sure they have an efficient process for that. And since it's in 3D, it's just a matter of camera tweaks to get widescreen.

I did hear a rumour that they were actually creating it from the ground up, but honestly that is very doubtful since it'd be a hell of a lot of work.

Bolivar
09-27-2011, 07:55 PM
yer still not playing HD versions of the game. Just upscaling an incredibly small resolution and putting a fancy filter on it does not mean it's high resolution. Despite what CSI shows, you can't upscale an image and magically generate fine detail from it.

Are you aware that the vast majority of PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 games are not natively rendered in high definition, either?

I apologize if I've derailed this into a question of how easy it would be to re-do the artwork. But it should obvious that that's not required to make these games run in widescreen format on a high definition television and have them look great. Again, Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection is an example of a package that ported over forty titles with relatively little hassle and very nice results. I think the difficulty of SE making this happen, as stated early in this thread is greatly exaggerated.

Also, Mirage, I think it's ridiculous that you want proof of emulators that make games look better than they originally did at higher resolutions (not native HD). If you can't do this yourself, then I truly feel sorry for you, because you're missing out on a really great thing.

Mirage
09-28-2011, 02:01 AM
Oh, most PS3 games are rendered in a higher res than what PS2 games run at, even if they're not all true 720p.

Also, I guess you're not able to show me of anything that isn't simply an interpolation filter for sprites in emulators then.

Btw, check out this cool 720p picture (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1132077/images/esperterra.jpg)i found of Terra.

Rostum
09-28-2011, 02:21 PM
Are you aware that the vast majority of PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 games are not natively rendered in high definition, either?

How does this relate to anything I've ever said in this thread? While you are on the subject, who's to say Square aren't attempting to make FFX 720p natively?

I apologize if I've derailed this into a question of how easy it would be to re-do the artwork. But it should obvious that that's not required to make these games run in widescreen format on a high definition television and have them look great. Again, Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection is an example of a package that ported over forty titles with relatively little hassle and very nice results. I think the difficulty of SE making this happen, as stated early in this thread is greatly exaggerated.

It'll take more work than you realise, and 3D is definitely a whole other beast to 2D. As an artist working in the industry, my professional opinion is there's a hell of a lot more work involved with porting and art upscaling than some seem to think. Especially in a larger studio where even just going through the standard processes of the approval chain can take a lot of time.

I guess it's hard to know what's true or just a rumor, but I believe I've read somewhere that they were doing revisions to some aspects of the game too. So it won't all be visual-related.

I think it's ridiculous that you want proof of emulators that make games look better than they originally did at higher resolutions (not native HD). If you can't do this yourself, then I truly feel sorry for you, because you're missing out on a really great thing.

You might be missing the point. We're not saying older games can't look good via emulator magic, we're saying it's not true widescreen or even close to HD, for in order to do that new art would have to be made. Which could very well be what Square are doing, though we'll never know until it's released due to the stupidly secret nature of the company.

Hollycat
09-28-2011, 06:56 PM
how about 1080?

Tainted Angel
09-28-2011, 07:37 PM
How would I create a petition with a chance of success online to rip out the 'percentage' chest system from XII?

I fuckkin hate getting something cool, then having to restart and not getting it the second time. Feelsbatman.jpg

Mirage
09-29-2011, 02:44 AM
The chest issue that lead to the possibility of screwing yourself over when it came to the zodiac spear was fixed in the job system version of FF12 anyway, so it'll likely stay that way.

Jake200493
09-29-2011, 11:26 AM
I don't get why people are complaining.

X was one of the highest rated FF's of all time, and in my opinion one of the best (save for the dodgy VA's but hey- it was the first fully voiced one!)

But to be honest, I kind of expected it, with the PS3's losing their backward compatability. Think about it- all FF's (except 12) are now playable on this-gen consoles:

FF1- iPod touch, PSP
FF2- iPod touch, PSP
FF3- iPod touch, DS
FF4- PSP, DS
FF5- PlayStation Network
FF6- PlayStation Network
FF7- PlayStation Network
FF8- PlayStation Network
FF9- PlayStation Network
FF10 (HD)- PlayStation 3
Now, I think Square's next move will be a HD port of Final Fantasy XII, just to continue this pattern. However, I think a wiser move would be to listen to the fan-base and do a HD port of not just Final Fantasy VII, but the entire compilation in one set. Like the FF4 Complete Collection. I also think that X-2 (which I didn't think was that bad in gameplay terms tbh) should come included with the FF10 HD remake.

Bolivar
09-29-2011, 07:35 PM
[QUOTE=Bolivar;3024986]
How does this relate to anything I've ever said in this thread? While you are on the subject, who's to say Square aren't attempting to make FFX 720p natively?

Because obviously these games don't need to be in true HD in order to look good at higher resolutions! As I've pointed out, there's been a lot of HD remakes of 2D games (admittedly some better than others) which were produced as quick cash-ins, the ones that have re-done artwork seem like the exception to the rule. Again, the Sega compilation packed in over 40 games without re-doing artwork... Admittedly it wasn't the best it could have been, but the games still look and play awesome in widescreen, high resolution...

Btw, check out this cool 720p picture i found of Terra.

lol FUNNY!

Hollycat
09-29-2011, 07:50 PM
why is everyone saying 720? what about 1080?

Rostum
10-01-2011, 04:45 AM

Who's complaining? In fact, I think most people are excited.

Also... The PSN downloads of FFVII-IX are the closest "HD port" you'll ever get. In order to make them at the quality of say FFXIII, it requires a complete remake.

Because obviously these games don't need to be in true HD in order to look good at higher resolutions! As I've pointed out, there's been a lot of HD remakes of 2D games (admittedly some better than others) which were produced as quick cash-ins, the ones that have re-done artwork seem like the exception to the rule. Again, the Sega compilation packed in over 40 games without re-doing artwork... Admittedly it wasn't the best it could have been, but the games still look and play awesome in widescreen, high resolution...

I don't think I've ever said they don't look good. I'm saying they're still not true HD, and that porting a PS2 game is a hell of a lot more work than porting older games. Especially since Square said they had plans to refine aspects of the game (like Blitzball), which could also mean re-doing of art assets.

Timerk
10-02-2011, 02:10 PM

It's what people on the internet do :roll2.

FFX is my favorite FF, but there are camps for pretty much every title, and they are going to be confuse/upset/frustrated that their game isn't getting the same treatment, but that is a pretty natural reaction, really.

Jessweeee♪
10-02-2011, 02:55 PM
Yeah, no one here is complaining, but just about everywhere else people are like "why no FFVII remake/FFIX sequel/some other thing that'll take a lot more work, time, and money than this will?!" xD

Rostum
10-04-2011, 04:52 AM
...but just about everywhere else people are like "why no FFVII remake/FFIX sequel/some other thing that'll take a lot more work, time, and money than this will?!" xD

Yeah, totally. Not to mention the fundamental game design behind those games just wouldn't cut it today, and so they'd have to go back and re-imagine /refine it and then the fans will be all types pitchforks and angry. It'd be a major risk for such a huge investment.

Hence why I try and avoid the topic anywhere else, lol.

Brunettepudding
10-04-2011, 06:10 AM
I think SE is saving the idea of an FF VII remake for when they really hit rock bottom, when all their spin-offs stop selling, because everyone knows the amount of dough they'd make. Right now, they've got so much more going on and are all ready making money, so they can't be arsed. They chose to remake X not only because of it's birthday, but because it'd be easy as balls to do. VII would require a ton more works, and years at it. Not to mention the cost. /shudders

Because X is my favorite, I'm in favor of it. I love the idea, as well as the few example pictures I've seen. GO, SE.

Shiny
10-05-2011, 04:40 AM
Rework Tidus and Yuna's voices. Re-translate the game, and PLEASE change Tidus' design.
I can settle for Yuna's little innocent woman who probably sews voice, but I refuse to tolerate Tidus' again. And yes ^ definitely would like his design to be changed. Why not just keep his hair black instead of giving him blonde with roots? O_o Strange Japanese people.

FFX: Undub - 22 "Laughing scene" (Japanese) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAgVjH9V9Ps)
Skip to 7:30

I don't think there was any voice acting. I think they just put a crow in the studio.
Wtf? I didn't think that laughing scene could be worse than it was in the American version.

Btw, check out this cool 720p picture (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1132077/images/esperterra.jpg)i found of Terra.
:lol:

Well, I don't think it's going to be a remake sadly, but one can hope. They're probably go to up-res all of their games eventually or at least the more popular ones. It would be cool if they took some of the older ones like FF6 and added voice acting and great graphics. I kinda feel like it's pointless to do it to FFX at this point because the graphics are not really outdated like many of the others.

Bubba
10-05-2011, 02:13 PM
Well, having pre-ordered my PS Vita months ago, this has made me even more excited!

Personally, I wouldn't want to see any of the Final Fantasy games re-made. The very nature of these games is to imagine an entirely different world and character base (with common elements) for each installment. This is the reason why the FF fanbase is so divided as to where they place their favourites. We should just accept that each one of us will find resonance in different stories in the series because we are all individual.

There is a reason why SE are reluctant to re-make FFVII (despite huge pressure). It's because whatever they change and however it is approached will be slated by a large section of the FF fanbase

It is the same with classic films being upgraded to Blu-Ray. Imagine what 'Jaws' would be like if someone said "God that shark was crap... lets put a CGI one in instead". Anyone who watched the 25th Anniversary of 'ET' will agree that the originals should be left well alone.

I'm all for giving the games a nice HD sheen for us to enjoy them in... but don't alter the original vision in which the games were meant to be enjoyed.

Arylett Dawnsborough
10-06-2011, 04:18 AM
There is a reason why SE are reluctant to re-make FFVII (despite huge pressure). It's because whatever they change and however it is approached will be slated by a large section of the FF fanbase
Well, I also heard that they don't want to remake anything that is still playable on a current system. I think you can purchase stuff like FFVII from the PS3 Network or whatever they call it.

I didn't even know this was a thing! Wow. I'm probably not going to get the HD version because I'm real out of date myself. Don't even have an HDTV and I really don't think I'll be getting a Vita until I know what games are on it. Haven't got enough money for that. Unless they make any significant changes, I don't see it worth purchasing even if I do get a HDTV. I don't really mind what they're doing, however. I mean, I'm not one for all of this HD fancy stuff, but I think it gives some of the more current players a chance to get FFX in case they missed it.

Hollycat
10-06-2011, 05:19 AM
update, apparently ALL PS3's can play ps2 games, they are now available on PSN. that is correct, sony has been bulltiting us for years.

Mirage
10-06-2011, 08:01 AM
Are you kidding now?

Shaibana
10-06-2011, 11:19 AM
so now you are saying that i can buy ps2-games in the normal stores and play it?
or do i have to get them o PS-store?

Mirage
10-06-2011, 12:30 PM
@Shaibana: I am pretty confident that Hypoallegenic is either kidding, or don't know the technical details regarding the PSN-downloadable PS2 games. You can not put any store bought game PS2 game into any PS3 and expect it to work. The "PS2" games available on the Playstation Network are actually modified in a way that lets them run natively on PS3. They are "technically" PS3 games that just re-use the source code and graphics of the old PS2 games.

Hollycat
10-06-2011, 04:40 PM
Are you kidding now?
maybe. they arent putting up massive amounts of them or good ones so who knows what is actually going through their heads

nirojan
10-06-2011, 08:44 PM
update, apparently ALL PS3's can play ps2 games, they are now available on PSN. that is correct, sony has been bulltiting us for years.

Okay read what Mirage wrote. They just started releasing PS2 classics, I'm sure they'll start releasing better titles as the program goes on. There's no point in them releasing the HD up-res games so there'll be no GOW, PoP, Splinter Cell, Ico-SoC, etc. aka "the good games". This program just provides an oppotunity for the smaller studios to re-release their titles without having to go back into the game and up-res them (which takes a considerably amount of time and resources). Vanillaware for example isn't a big studio and they don't have enough resources to dedicate a team for PS3 re-releases. This will also help Sony pump out more PS2 titles that some people may have missed out on last gen. Sure no Trophy support and no HD resolution is pretty bad, but some people just want to play them in their original goodness.

Hope that helps Hypo! :D

Hollycat
10-06-2011, 09:41 PM

Okay read what Mirage wrote. They just started releasing PS2 classics, I'm sure they'll start releasing better titles as the program goes on. There's no point in them releasing the HD up-res games so there'll be no GOW, PoP, Splinter Cell, Ico-SoC, etc. aka "the good games". This program just provides an oppotunity for the smaller studios to re-release their titles without having to go back into the game and up-res them (which takes a considerably amount of time and resources). Vanillaware for example isn't a big studio and they don't have enough resources to dedicate a team for PS3 re-releases. This will also help Sony pump out more PS2 titles that some people may have missed out on last gen. Sure no Trophy support and no HD resolution is pretty bad, but some people just want to play them in their original goodness.

Hope that helps Hypo! :D

:GIANT FACEPALM:

Shaibana
10-13-2011, 11:24 AM
@Shaibana: I am pretty confident that Hypoallegenic is either kidding, or don't know the technical details regarding the PSN-downloadable PS2 games. You can not put any store bought game PS2 game into any PS3 and expect it to work. The "PS2" games available on the Playstation Network are actually modified in a way that lets them run natively on PS3. They are "technically" PS3 games that just re-use the source code and graphics of the old PS2 games.

there is actualy 1type of ps3 that does play ps2 games ;)

Mirage
10-13-2011, 01:29 PM
And actually, it is two. The very first version released in the US, with both the PS2's GS and EE processors built into the PS3s, and the later first european model with only the GS.

I think you misunderstood my use of the word "any". In this context, it means you cannot put a PS2 game in "which ever PS3 you would like to", but only a few select PS3s.

DMKA
10-14-2011, 08:42 PM
I am really hoping for this too. I've dreamed of the day I finally get to fight Penance.

I wonder if Wakka's sigil and crest will be required for the platinum trophy? Screw that noise.

Giga Guess
10-15-2011, 05:56 PM
I am really hoping for this too. I've dreamed of the day I finally get to fight Penance.

I wonder if Wakka's sigil and crest will be required for the platinum trophy? Screw that noise.

I can deal with Wakka's, it's Tidus, Lulu and Kimahri's that gave me premature grey hairs. I think I ended up giving up on them.

But I am of the camp that would like to see additional content. I love the game (even the reviled "Laughing Scene," if just for the intended purpose behind it) and would love to see an updated version of it, but if it's just the original with a bit more spit polish on it, I can't really justify it.

Renmiri
10-15-2011, 11:27 PM
II can play FFX right now on my PS3

Mirage
10-15-2011, 11:58 PM
And it looks terrible. Congratulations!

Jessweeee♪
10-16-2011, 12:21 AM
PS3? How do I play that at work without dragging my TV around with me :confused:

Shaibana
10-17-2011, 09:05 AM
:O FFX is there already? cool!?
im gonna get it.. as soon as i get back from 2 months internship :o

Mirage
10-17-2011, 12:24 PM
What are you talking about? It's "here" exactly as much as it has been the last 10 years.

ReloadPsi
10-22-2011, 12:40 AM
Are the cutscenes skippable this time? I might consider playing it if it doesn't flow like this:

Final Fantasy X Antidub - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8bXY4qJChE)

Hambone
11-06-2011, 10:19 PM
I seriously hope they include the bonuses from International; I'd like to try the alternate Sphere Grid and fight the Dark Aeons and Penance. It sucks not really having a reason to max your stats in the NTSC version, and having only Nemesis, a long and boring battle, to look forward to when you start a new game. For me at least, FFX has little replay value at the moment, other than reliving the story, because of these restrictions in my region, and hopefully this re-release/not-really-remake/whatever-the-hell-you-want-to-call-it, will fix that.

Nebulance
11-07-2011, 02:10 PM
anybody hear of a release date for this?

black orb
11-09-2011, 07:35 PM
>>> Yeah, I just cant wait for this game..:luca:

Rostum
11-10-2011, 04:17 AM
>>> Yeah, I just cant wait for this game..:luca:

This.

Mirage
11-10-2011, 04:51 PM
It would be cool if they could churn it out before christmas.

Nebulance
11-10-2011, 05:40 PM
This is a very old article, but at least it points towards a date to speculate about: http://3dg.me/games/final-<wbr>fantasy-x-hd-is-remake-<wbr>release-date-and-features-<wbr>rumors (http://3dg.me/games/final-fantasy-x-hd-is-remake-release-date-and-features-rumors)

Mirage
11-10-2011, 06:34 PM
Not sure if I would call a two week old article "very old".

Jessweeee♪
11-11-2011, 12:00 AM
As long as I can make everyone swim in circles on a whim.

This is a very old article, but at least it points towards a date to speculate about: http://3dg.me/games/final-<wbr>fantasy-x-hd-is-remake-<wbr>release-date-and-features-<wbr>rumors (http://3dg.me/games/final-fantasy-x-hd-is-remake-release-date-and-features-rumors)

-Blitzball game will take little changes.

RUINED FOREVER :nonono:

Hambone
11-11-2011, 03:24 AM
Not sure if I would call a two week old article "very old".

The date is marked September 26th. That's over a month, but yeah, I don't think that's too old either.

Mirage
11-11-2011, 01:45 PM
Oh, i mixed september and october again.

Bolivar
11-15-2011, 10:07 PM
So before April, awesome. Would be nice if they made this a Vita launch title.

ShinGundam
11-16-2011, 05:56 AM
Pro-tip to FF fans; gaming journalism is your enemy and you guys realize this article is fake, right?.

Hambone
11-16-2011, 08:21 AM
Pro-tip to FF fans; gaming journalism is your enemy and you guys realize this article is fake, right?.

Even if it was, it's confirmed by 1UP, Game Informer, and others.

Edit: or are you saying that those specific details listed by that article aren't to be trusted? Even then, the article says explicitly that they're just rumors, even if they're from "sources close to the developers."

Goldenboko
01-04-2012, 08:26 PM

The big question is are the porting the International Version? If so the US will get to see Dark Aeons for the first time without the need for an annoying ass swap magic device. Not to mention shipping prices.

Also, reading people's comments about the dialogue and acting I wonder if I was playing the same game. I loved FFX's dialogue. :confused:

Hollycat
01-04-2012, 08:30 PM
I liked most of it too.

When is this happening.

chionos
01-04-2012, 08:37 PM
Here ya go HC:
Final Fantasy X HD remake (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Final+Fantasy+X+HD+remake)

I would only get this if they do actually port the international version.

Jessweeee♪
01-04-2012, 08:38 PM

The big question is are the porting the International Version? If so the US will get to see Dark Aeons for the first time without the need for an annoying ass swap magic device. Not to mention shipping prices.

Also, reading people's comments about the dialogue and acting I wonder if I was playing the same game. I loved FFX's dialogue. :confused:

Me too! I even liked the voice acting. The few lines that bugged me had more to do with what was done after recording in order to fit the animation (I wanted to be there...withyunabymyside.) or what wasn't done (none of Yuna's dialogue matches her lips when she is confronting Maester Mika).

EDIT:

Interesting. If the rumors in the latest articles are true, then it really is going to be a remake. If this is the case, I hope the same voice cast is kept.

Goldenboko
01-05-2012, 12:35 AM
It is clear playing the game that it is FF's first attempt at voice acting, sure. But it rarely takes away from the emotion of the scene and often I felt the voice acting added to the drama of what was going on so I don't see a problem.

EDIT: I'm actually replaying through the game right now and there's definitely times I can see issues with the voice acting, but never in a way that can really be a bad complaint.

crazybayman
01-25-2012, 12:47 PM
Playing through X again now for $h!ts 'n' giggles and looking forward to the remake. One thing that would be cool in a remake would be Blitzball revisited. A little more control in the way that hockey and soccer are typically controlled on consoles games would be cool.

Another cool add in would be being able to unlock Jecht as a playable Blitzball character. Something in the way of winning so many tournaments allows you to unlock classic players like Jecht, Lord Ohalland, etc. For instance in the latest hockey game you can play hockey legends like Gretzky and Lemieux. Something similar in FFX Blitzball would be cool.

Bubba
01-25-2012, 01:41 PM
Another cool add in would be being able to unlock Jecht as a playable Blitzball character. Something in the way of winning so many tournaments allows you to unlock classic players like Jecht, Lord Ohalland, etc. For instance in the latest hockey game you can play hockey legends like Gretzky and Lemieux. Something similar in FFX Blitzball would be cool.

This... would be awesome.

I seriously doubt they would change any of the game mechanics though... just give it a lovely HD sheen.

Anything that adds to Blitzball though is fine with me. I would say I spent 75% of my FFX experience playing Blitzball so I'd love a chance to start again and actually finish the game.

Jessweeee♪
01-25-2012, 02:58 PM
This announcement is kind of ruining FFX for me now. I played through it again, and I was thinking, "what could be improved in a remake?" and surprisingly what bothered me most is the animations, and I'm noticing more that the delivery of the lines is done very out of context. It reminds me of the beginning of Persona 3 when Yukari's voice is like, "we're heeeeere :D" but her face is :mad2: because there is some serious shit going on.

Rostum
01-26-2012, 03:03 AM
I would love more of a tease right now. Some screenshots, some alpha footage, SOMETHING. :(

DMKA
01-27-2012, 05:26 AM
I hope they work on that lipsync.

FFX-2 did alright overall in that department but some points in FFX didn't.

FFIX Choco Boy
01-27-2012, 11:05 AM

MONKEY!

Karifean
01-28-2012, 07:20 PM

MONKEY!

THE NERVE!

Nebulance
01-30-2012, 12:26 PM
Not sure if this has been posted, but I was searching around for some news on the remake, and I came across this (from Jan. 2): http://www.gamesradar.com/final-fantasy-x-hd-remake-development-producer-kitase-board/

charliepanayi
02-05-2012, 08:14 PM
http://playstationlifestyle.net/2012/02/05/final-fantasy-x-ps3vita-is-not-a-remake-hd-upgrade-only/

crazybayman
02-06-2012, 01:45 PM
yep.....looks like it'll simply be an HD Remaster:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/334596/final-fantasy-x-hd-is-a-remaster-not-a-remake-says-square-enix/

Rocket Edge
05-09-2012, 03:50 PM
What is the latest on this? I haven't seen anything on gaming websites either...

Hollycat
05-09-2012, 03:58 PM
this year is the plan, can't wait.

sabin101
05-10-2012, 01:21 AM
It should be fun I always did like final fantasy 10. My favorite part is when you come to luca. The cutscenes for that part are just amazing. Square really out did themselves for that part. The music is great as well. Just a great game.

Bubba
05-10-2012, 01:29 AM
It should be fun I always did like final fantasy 10. My favorite part is when you come to luca. The cutscenes for that part are just amazing. Square really out did themselves for that part. The music is great as well. Just a great game.

Yey! Some love for FFX. Good effort Sabin. Luca was awesome. Controversially, Blitzball was my favourite mini-game in the FF series... hence the reason I never actually finished the main game. I look forward to doing it in HD.

Hollycat
05-10-2012, 01:37 AM
I never enjoyed blitzball.

Bubba
05-10-2012, 01:55 AM
I never enjoyed blitzball.

Don't worry, HC. That just means you don't understand it.

Jinx
05-10-2012, 01:56 AM
Blitzball is just the worst. Hence, I really hate the Luca part. A lot. The plot doesn't even start til after that point.

Bubba
05-10-2012, 02:04 AM
Blitzball is just the worst. Hence, I really hate the Luca part. A lot. The plot doesn't even start til after that point.

Don't worry, FT. That just means you don't understand FFX. :D

Pheesh
05-10-2012, 07:09 AM
I loved Blitzball as well! *hi-five*

Mirage
05-10-2012, 10:52 AM
Blitzball was actually pretty fun. However, I still mainly look forwards to this game just because it means there could be a chance that we get FF12HD too.

Shaibana
05-10-2012, 06:22 PM
i hope they come with a date soon

Rocket Edge
05-16-2012, 01:25 AM
Lets guess the month. I predict... October!

Bubba
05-16-2012, 02:12 AM

I raise you December!

Jinx
05-16-2012, 02:47 AM
Stuck in TBD-world with Versus XIII.

Rostum
05-16-2012, 09:23 AM
I managed to find all character models and textures for the main cast, and opened them up in Maya (or 3DSMax; they're in both .max and .obj formats). Each character is around 10,000 triangles which is roughly what most current-gen models are in games (they really get their detail from shaders and normal maps). Kind of amazing they were able to fit all that on a PS2 though.

Hopefully that means it wouldn't take them much effort to bring this port up to current-gen standards. Though that really depends on how many development resources they have to throw at it.

Hopefully we see something at E3 this year? Or have they already said they wouldn't?

Nebulance
05-16-2012, 12:50 PM
I managed to find all character models and textures for the main cast, and opened them up in Maya (or 3DSMax; they're in both .max and .obj formats). Each character is around 10,000 triangles which is roughly what most current-gen models are in games (they really get their detail from shaders and normal maps). Kind of amazing they were able to fit all that on a PS2 though.

That's pretty cool -- where does one find such data files? I would've thought no one outside Square would have these.

Mirage
05-16-2012, 01:44 PM

Can you do the same with FF12? Those characters look even better, it would be interesting to know.

Rostum
05-17-2012, 08:39 AM

That's pretty cool -- where does one find such data files? I would've thought no one outside Square would have these.

This is a great forum to find lots of game models and textures: XeNTaX &bull; View forum - 3D/2D models (http://forum.xentax.com/viewforum.php?f=16)
But the one I found I've uploaded here for you: FFXModels.rar (http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?qizvzmksi5eyaw2)

If you don't know how to use Maya or 3DSMax and just want to look at the models, finding a model viewer should be very easy.

Can you do the same with FF12? Those characters look even better, it would be interesting to know.
I'm not sure, I'd have to look around but I think it is possible to extract them through the use of a model viewer someone has coded. Either way, they'd probably be about the same. To me they look the same in polygonal detail, probably just have better topology and better texturing.

Nebulance
05-17-2012, 12:53 PM
[QUOTE=Nebulance;3083852]

This is a great forum to find lots of game models and textures: XeNTaX • View forum - 3D/2D models (http://forum.xentax.com/viewforum.php?f=16)
But the one I found I've uploaded here for you: FFXModels.rar (http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?qizvzmksi5eyaw2)

If you don't know how to use Maya or 3DSMax and just want to look at the models, finding a model viewer should be very easy.

Oh awesome, thanks! I look forward to playing with these!

Shaibana
05-17-2012, 02:12 PM

I raise you December!

raise you with spring/summer 2013.
if it would come at the end of this year, we problably would have heard more of it already

black orb
05-23-2012, 01:44 AM
>>> I predict never, this was just a smurfing prank from SE..:luca:

Now seriously, I hope they give a release date. Im tired of waiting..

Hollycat
05-23-2012, 02:00 AM
I'm pretty much only looking forward to this, call of duty, ffxii, and assassins creed on VITA

sabin101
06-09-2012, 12:37 AM
So e3 just passed and it is the biggest gaming convention and not once did I hear anyone talk about final fantasy 10 hd for the vita. I just don't get it they announce the game and have said absolutely nothing yet about it a release date or anything. What a let down even though I have played and beaten the game it just would be nice if they said something to give a clue when it is coming out.

Nebulance
06-12-2012, 12:47 PM
So e3 just passed and it is the biggest gaming convention and not once did I hear anyone talk about final fantasy 10 hd for the vita. I just don't get it they announce the game and have said absolutely nothing yet about it a release date or anything. What a let down even though I have played and beaten the game it just would be nice if they said something to give a clue when it is coming out.

I am concerned too... hopefully it just means they're not ready to say anything yet, but who knows? I imagine the majority of us have beaten the game already, but I would love this update. To be honest, playing this one on my HDTV with the appropriate configuration of the display so that it maintains its original aspect ratio, it still looks awful. Hence, I don't play it anymore.

sabin101
06-14-2012, 04:11 AM
Your guess is as good as mine. It is square enix lol. They take their time to release info and it is not always when the fans want it. Look at versus six years and nothing. I don't have a ps3 but I will believe you about the aspect ratio on your tv. I am still not sure what it is going to look like on the ps3 or vita. Only time will tell.

Hollycat
06-14-2012, 04:19 AM
It's really sad because if this is really just a texture update and resolution change and adding trophies, 3 people should be able to do it on their own in a few months at most.

Rostum
06-14-2012, 12:17 PM
Thanks HC for proving you know absolutely nothing about game development.

Nebulance
06-14-2012, 01:04 PM
Your guess is as good as mine. It is square enix lol. They take their time to release info and it is not always when the fans want it. Look at versus six years and nothing. I don't have a ps3 but I will believe you about the aspect ratio on your tv. I am still not sure what it is going to look like on the ps3 or vita. Only time will tell.

I don't know if I'm just spoiled by the graphics of PS3 (especially those of Metal Gear Solid 4 and their HD collection looks fantastic), but I don't know, FFX's graphics just really get to me now.

Hollycat
06-14-2012, 09:07 PM
If it really is just texture updating, that is an extremely easy thing to do.

Mirage
06-14-2012, 09:13 PM
Is it? If the textures weren't made in a higher resolution than what was used on the PS2 version, they have to remake a lot of textures. For segments that are also part of pre-rendered movies, they probably have high-res textures available, but most of the game is not shown in the movies.

Then there's also code optimization, remaking the user interface, because the low-res 2D stuff from the PS2 version won't look good just zoomed up. Then there's also play testing to make sure they didn't mess up anything. And then there's also the fact that we don't even know how many people are working on it, and how many hours they're spending on it per week. For all we know, this might just be a low-priority side project.

Hollycat
06-14-2012, 09:19 PM
I know most of that, but creating and replacing textures is very simple and doesn't take long. I didn't think about the fact they will need to make bigger letters and change the screen size from 1:1 to 3:4 for PS3 and whatever the Vita Has.

Mirage
06-14-2012, 09:25 PM
1:1? Maybe you mean from 4:3 to 16:9. I don't think many games run with a square aspect ratio.

But anyway, that was something I didn't think about either. If you're gonna switch from 4:3 to 16:9, that means you might want to re-script certain cut scenes. If you just changed it and never checked what difference it made, you might end up with either some character's heads chopped off, or some dumb stuff being visible at the far left or right side that could ruin the overall feel of the cutscene. Who knows, maybe they're even adding an adjustable camera? In that case, they need to make sure you're not able to point it somewhere that they don't have a proper texture for, because that would look awkward. The fix for that would be to either put something there, or add custom limitations to camera movement for every area in the game.

The point, anyway, is that we don't know exactly what they're changing and how much work each of those changes involve.

Hollycat
06-14-2012, 09:28 PM
Maybe it's just my tv, and yes I meant 16:9, it just didn't sound right in my head.

Mirage
06-14-2012, 09:35 PM
Well if you're used to 16:9 and play a 4:3 game on a widescreen TV, it does look "kinda square". After all, 4:3 isn't *that* far from 4:4 (or 1:1 if you want).

Hollycat
06-14-2012, 09:54 PM
No I mean my Tv screen that I play ps2 games on is square. it's like a perfect square.

ReloadPsi
06-14-2012, 09:57 PM
Will the cutscenes be skippable this time? If they are, I might actually attempt to check it out.

Rostum
06-14-2012, 11:48 PM
I know most of that, but creating and replacing textures is very simple and doesn't take long.

Take it from someone who has worked with texture artists before; you're absolutely very, very wrong.

Hand painting textures, hell even making textures from real-life references, takes an enormous amount of time. Especially for so many assets we see in FFX. Not only that, they probably will be either painting or sculpting (better results) normal maps for each asset and that also takes a lot of time.

Hollycat
06-15-2012, 12:45 AM
I've created tons of textures for oblivion mods, and while I probably haven't made as many as is on the characters of ffx , It doesn't take very long to make textures. I had no idea about handpainted though, all mine were done in photoshop, then mounted using other programs

I was under the impression that this was going to be along the lines of jak and daxter hd, with just the character textures really increased and the rest just smoothed or sharpened with new colors.
If they are doing a full hd remake and adding new meshes, yes it will take a long time, because meshes are a pain in the ass to create, but if it is just updated textures, the actual art part shouldn't take too long.

Unless they are actually hand painting them, I would like to see where you came up with that.

Nebulance
07-05-2012, 10:32 PM
Well, this doesn't bode well: Square Enix Hints At Final Fantasy XIII-3 - IGN (http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/07/05/is-final-fantasy-xiii-3-on-the-way)

Dammit Square-Enix, just let FFXIII go already. Why couldn't they give FFX this kind of treatment -- a sequel to FFX that deals with Braska and Jecht, instead of the sorry result that is FFX-2.

(in addition to doing the HD remaster of course.)

ReloadPsi
07-06-2012, 01:48 AM
Since I'm too lazy to read the thread have they made the cutscenes skippable this time?

Rostum
07-06-2012, 07:25 AM
I've created tons of textures for oblivion mods, and while I probably haven't made as many as is on the characters of ffx , It doesn't take very long to make textures. I had no idea about handpainted though, all mine were done in photoshop, then mounted using other programs

I was under the impression that this was going to be along the lines of jak and daxter hd, with just the character textures really increased and the rest just smoothed or sharpened with new colors.
If they are doing a full hd remake and adding new meshes, yes it will take a long time, because meshes are a pain in the ass to create, but if it is just updated textures, the actual art part shouldn't take too long.

Unless they are actually hand painting them, I would like to see where you came up with that.

Wait, do you think texturing just involves some basic Photoshop manipulation of photos? Because if so, you couldn't be further from the truth. There's one thing to slap in some bad photo images on to a mesh and call it a day, to actually making something professional.

Even when it comes to say, for example, realistic rocks and cliffsides the process is usually that they sculpt it all in ZBrush and then hand-digital paint texture, tone and colour, then bake it on to the mesh (usually they just re-topologize the extremely high polygonal mesh) with light information (in the end you usually end up with normal maps, diffuse maps, specular maps, glow maps, etc.). There are ways to use photo manipulation, but it's also a long process and the results are generally too generic to bother these days.

Throughout the entirety of the Final Fantasy series, they've always used this method. Even during the more realistic pre-rendered cinematics. Even during the latest installments such as XIII and XIV. X especially is completely hand-digitally painted (beautifully done), chances are they have all the textures in much high resolutions as master files (like 2048x2048) but if they plan on adding normal mapping or they want things changed in the textures then it's going to take them a long time.

Go read up on the Polycount and CGTalk forums if you want to find out more about how the professionals actually work.

ShinGundam
07-06-2012, 08:29 AM
I know most of that, but creating and replacing textures is very simple and doesn't take long.

Take it from someone who has worked with texture artists before; you're absolutely very, very wrong.

Hand painting textures, hell even making textures from real-life references, takes an enormous amount of time. Especially for so many assets we see in FFX. Not only that, they probably will be either painting or sculpting (better results) normal maps for each asset and that also takes a lot of time.
Really? let's say a game modeled and textured after Venice for example. Will it be very time-consuming to create?

Karifean
07-10-2012, 08:31 PM
Could it be that they included Final Fantasy X-2 in this (the games' graphics are mostly indentical aren't they)?
Combine that with the International extras of both games and you've got the greatest Game Disc of all time.

Hollycat
07-10-2012, 11:26 PM
Assuming they are doing the same amount of HD as other "HD" games, it won't be realistic or super high def

and yes, it is simple, you just need to create a stretched image to wrap around a mesh, or you can create individual textures for each portion of the mesh (this looks best if you know how to connect them at the sides)

If you are starting from scratch with no idea what you are doing or have to create the meshes as well, yes it takes a long time. However, as an HD port, they already have the meshes prepared.

Rocket Edge
08-07-2012, 12:47 AM
Well, this doesn't bode well: Square Enix Hints At Final Fantasy XIII-3 - IGN (http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/07/05/is-final-fantasy-xiii-3-on-the-way)

Dammit Square-Enix, just let FFXIII go already. Why couldn't they give FFX this kind of treatment -- a sequel to FFX that deals with Braska and Jecht, instead of the sorry result that is FFX-2.

Good god. Please do not tell me they are doing a third to that horrible, horrible game.

Since I haven't heard anything yet, I do worry that we might not see it this year.

Hollycat
08-07-2012, 01:09 AM

Good god. Please do not tell me they are doing a third to that horrible, horrible game.

Since I haven't heard anything yet, I do worry that we might not see it this year.
spring 2013.

Nebulance
08-09-2012, 12:32 PM
spring 2013.

woah, where did you hear that? That's great!

Hollycat
08-09-2012, 03:01 PM
I don't remember exactly where I heard it, but I'm 90% sure it's correct and legitimate.

Nebulance
08-09-2012, 03:40 PM
I don't remember exactly where I heard it, but I'm 90% sure it's correct and legitimate.

sounds good, I'll take it!

Nebulance
10-11-2012, 12:44 PM
more so a thread bump, but I found this while trying to find any new info on FFX HD:

Why Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD Remix was shown before Final Fantasy X HD - National Video Game News | Examiner.com (http://www.examiner.com/article/why-kingdom-hearts-1-5-hd-remix-was-shown-before-final-fantasy-x-hd)
Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD ReMIX was in development before Final Fantasy X HD | RPG Site (http://www.rpgsite.net/news/2064-kingdom-hearts-1.5-hd-remix-was-in-development-before-final-fantasy-x-hd)

Not very insightful, but I just wanted to stir the pot a bit.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
10-15-2012, 02:27 PM
Eagerly awaiting more updates on this.

I've been wanting to go back and play FFX (and X-2) for a while, but i'm going to put it off until this HD release comes out.

Maybe it can incorporate new features such as being able to play in Blitzball tournaments online with other people.

Cloudane
10-15-2012, 02:54 PM
Wait what? Really?

Somehow missed this one!

Do X-2 as well, and I can finally retire my PS2! (Yes I know about FFXII. I reiterate: Do X and X-2 and I can finally retire my PS2.)

Truly awesome. Any word if they'll do X-2, I think it's silly to do one and not the other.

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
10-16-2012, 04:12 AM
I might get it if it's a definite improvement. I only beat it once on ps2. I also need a vita.

Nebulance
10-17-2012, 11:07 PM
Seems like its still on the horizon…

Final Fantasy X HD Still in Development - IGN (http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/10/17/final-fantasy-x-hd-still-in-development)

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
10-18-2012, 02:10 AM
Also would it look much better on the vita? The screen is so small that they don't have to do anything to it and it will look better. Isn't there no way to connect it to a tv?

Mirage
10-18-2012, 04:13 AM
If you connected it to a TV again, you wouldn't exactly have a small screen anymore.

Weimar Pluto Knight VII
10-18-2012, 04:18 AM
yea but I heard the vita doesn't have a thing to connect it to the tv like the psp did.

Rocket Edge
01-03-2013, 11:02 PM
A bump on the thread for the latest news on the remake. I've been looking through websites & such for the latest updates on the game and it seems that all SE games have taken a backseat to the coming release of Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn.

Although no official date has been set as yet still, I would strongly imagine it will be available after FFXIV: ARR's launch on mid-2013. I see no reason why it should be any longer than that when more attention is placed on releasing it.

Freya
01-04-2013, 05:47 AM
What I've read is that they will be releasing KH 1.5 HD first as it's been actually further in development even though they announced FFX HD first. So I'm sure once we get the whirlwind of KH 1.5 out of the way we'll most likely hear more information on it.