PDA

View Full Version : [XIII-2] Should Lightning have a love interest?

SuperMillionaire
09-15-2011, 04:26 PM
Would you like to see Lightning have a love interest in this game? If so, who?

Del Murder
09-15-2011, 05:37 PM
It might be nice to see her have one, but it would have to be done carefully as to not ruin her character.

WhiteStorm
09-15-2011, 06:47 PM
It might be nice to see her have one, but it would have to be done carefully as to not ruin her character.

Agreed.

Jiro
09-16-2011, 04:47 AM
Haven't finished XIII yet but it seems like she has a hard enough time loving herself thus far.

Having Snow lose his memory and try and pick her up would be interesting though :p

qwertysaur
09-16-2011, 05:31 AM
It would be very OOC for her to show interest if she had one. The only way she would show affection would be to beat up anybody who dare attack her love. :p

Tsundere Lightning is a chilling thought. :|

Elpizo
09-16-2011, 07:00 PM
Lightning secretly has the hots for Hope. :jokey:

SuperMillionaire
11-21-2011, 07:14 PM

Except that he's too young for her.

Meltdown
11-21-2011, 07:47 PM
I always had her down as a bit of a meat-maid tbh...

VeloZer0
11-22-2011, 12:59 AM
Would you like to see Lightning have a love interest in this game?
Good lord no.

Shlup
11-22-2011, 01:26 AM
Like Del said, only if handled correctly. It could be awesome and adorable, or it could ruin her.

Elpizo
11-23-2011, 01:50 PM

Except that he's too young for her.

Love has no borders or limits! :love:

Meltdown
11-23-2011, 04:37 PM
Wait a moment... I read somewhere that Hope was actually 24 in FFXIII-2 (because of the Historia Crux thang) so actually, no, he'd be older than Lightning (though this would still be eerily creepy) :|

Madonna
11-24-2011, 03:36 PM
It has and always will be LightningxHope.

Old Manus
11-24-2011, 03:43 PM
Haha, good one guys. Everybody knows that in this day and age, all female videogame main characters have to be independent, no-bulltit, emotionless killing machines. Showing any signs of weakness such as an emotional interest for another would be like...sexist and tit. And men wouldn't buy the game with some sissy woman in charge

SuperMillionaire
12-19-2011, 09:44 PM
You mean that male action heroes can have love interests, but female heroes have to be single all their lives? Not fair at all.

And I would say that the difference in age should be no more than four years. In Kingdom Hearts, I would estimate that Aqua and Ventus are about 18 and 14, respectively, and that while Aqua can't start having a relationship with Ven yet, because she would look like a pedophile, if she waits between two and four years, she can. (Sora and Kairi don't have that problem because they are the same age.)

Raistlin
12-24-2011, 08:40 PM
Good lord no.

black orb
12-26-2011, 04:13 AM
>>> No, she already have one with Firion :love:..:luca:

chionos
12-26-2011, 04:32 AM
I'm very interested in Lightning falling madly deeply in love with the ass end of a Zantetsuken.

She so doesn't deserve Odin.

And also, she'd be a total bitch as a girlfriend.

Raistlin
12-27-2011, 02:11 AM
Lightning would only be a bitch because she is better than any potential suitor. And you. :mad2:

Giga Guess
12-27-2011, 07:46 PM

Bingo. Having her get a love interest can be done, so long as she doesn't turn into...what's the term..."love starved twit?"

SuperMillionaire
01-04-2012, 06:12 PM
Lightning and Firion come from two different games. They both have a "rose" motif, but still...

Perhaps Noel can be her love interest, maybe?

And isn't Odin supposed to be Thor's father?

Mirage
01-04-2012, 08:11 PM
What purpose would it serve? Do you feel like there is a lack of RPGs with shallow love stories?

Hedgy
01-24-2012, 08:20 PM
Yep always thought Lightning and Hope were close

Hollycat
01-24-2012, 08:39 PM
Lightning X Lebrau

Giggedy Giggedy Goo!

In all seriousness, I think the idea of such a stoic character as Lightning having a love interest would be a good notion, but only in the event that as she falls in love she becomes a softer and more open person. Also the person in question can't be a serious person, but neither should they be a person with an annoying or goofy personality. I hate to say it, but I think the "typical" laid back person who does what needs to be done and never shows fear would be the ideal person for this. Think along the lines of Yoh Asakura from Shaman King but add some of the loyalty of Ichigo Kurosaki from Bleach. Then give this person a look that isn't rediculous, but is definately striking when compared to the background. Preferably as the story progressed Lightning would slowly change her looks until her outfit while still resembling her original, would "match" the costume of her interest. Also, I honestly would not be surprised if Lighting turned out to be a lesbian or bi or something. I'm not saying that is a nessesity, I'm just stating my opinion.

Sorry for being long winded, have a good day!

Jessweeee♪
01-25-2012, 05:08 PM
I agree with Del that it would have to be done carefully. Personally I don't think it ought to be something central to her character development. I don't think we'll be seeing enough of her in this game to include something like that anyway, but if she had been a lead character again, I would have wanted it to be something more like Zell and the library student. Just a cute little thing that could happen :spin:

SuperMillionaire
01-30-2012, 08:23 PM
Lightning is very tomboyish too, like Faris and Paine, so that's a challenge too. If she was more of a Tifa or Rikku-type tomboy, or perhaps her original planned profile and design, perhaps it would be easier, though...

Mirage
01-30-2012, 09:48 PM
But you've still not explained why she needs one.

ShineTheLion
02-06-2012, 09:15 AM
I agree completely with Mirage that it wouldn't really add anything to the game to show Lightning have a love interest. Love is a far too cliche and exaggerated theme in storytelling. The last thing we need is another shallow, automatic, unbelievable romance like Tidus/Yuna that just flies out of nowhere as if to say "none of the writers at Square have ever experienced actual love, and this is how we think it goes... underwater... with bubbles... and crystals... and smiles... and an awkwardly voiced asian girl who sounds like a cat singing atmospherically all around you"

I appreciated that 13 did not have a love story ingrained in it, unless you count Vanille and Fang's tastefully understated relationship. They were the most realistic couple in the entire FF series (I don't care if you don't think they were a couple, personally, but it seemed pretty clear to me in the way they treated one another and reacted to each other). I think the romances of most FF games have been stereotypical and predictable. I really don't think the series needs more unless they want to explore some new themes. For example, I think it would be nice to see a male-male romance in one of these games at some point. That would be interesting and not cliche, and as colorful as FF male characters usually are, it could be pretty spellbinding and dramatic. Not to mention damn near every gay dude I've met loves Final Fantasy, so I think it's about time Squenix threw them a bone for all their contributions to the fandom, but that's a whole different topic.

In short, no love for Lightning. It would soil her awesome character. She's too much of a lone wolf and too driven by her whims and convictions to really settle down anyway. She'd just be running off to fight all the time like that noncommittal d-bag, Snow.

SuperMillionaire
02-08-2012, 06:17 PM
She has a similar personality to Squall, and he had a love interest (Rinoa), so why not Lightning? Is she too tomboyish for it?

Hollycat
02-08-2012, 06:23 PM
She has a similar personality to Squall, and he had a love interest (Rinoa), so why not Lightning? Is she too tomboyish for it?

By that arguement, lightning should be a lesbian.

SuperMillionaire
02-08-2012, 06:28 PM
Well, on a side note to that, it seems that changing Fang from male to female caused unintentional lesbian themes...

But anyway, what if she's not a lesbian?

ShineTheLion
02-09-2012, 10:05 AM
Well, on a side note to that, it seems that changing Fang from male to female caused unintentional lesbian themes...

But anyway, what if she's not a lesbian?

I think the fact that they changed her from male to female makes it pretty obvious that those two were intended to be a couple. Imagine a dude running up and hugging vanille, and holding her for long periods of time, and saying he's her family. There's not a single person out there that wouldn't think they are a couple. Just because they don't show anything sexual like kissing (which is tactful, really) doesn't mean Fang and Vanille are "just friends" as so many like to put it.

The truth of the matter is, I think it doesn't matter. I think they changed Fang to give the cast a more even balance of male and female, and I don't think they cared that that basically turned the couple into a gay couple. For some, that's a huge advancement for equality just being able to see a relationship like that in a mainstream game title, but for others they want to deny it even exists. It's weird really how quick people would be to jump on the FANG + VANILLE FOREVER <3 <3 <3 bandwagon if they were male and female, but since they are of the same sex, many people say THEY AREN'T LOVERS! COME ON!

Bah, they clearly are, and their relationship is a very genuine and pure one. It's admirable really, and a lot less fake and convoluted than all the forced relationships between FF protagonists in the past (tidus/yuna anyone? where the hell did that come from?)

I may be repeating myself because I remember writing this in another post, it may have been on this topic. Lol. I'll just end with that.

Also to SuperMillionaire's comment, I don't think Squall and Lightning are very alike more than the fact that they both have storm related names. Lol. Squall was very brooding, quiet, defensive, and emo. Lightning is very outspoken, agressive, hot-headed, and a lot more independent than squall seemed to be. I wouldn't compare the two. Squall needed a mommacita. He was too much of a whiny punk to deal with it all on his own. Lightning on the other hand would keep on fighting even if she was the last person alive in the world (which in a sense, she kind of is, in this game).

SuperMillionaire
02-09-2012, 07:31 PM
Squall seemed to be independent, though not as "standoff-ish" as Lightning. And Lightning is also very tomboyish too; she is at least as tomboyish as Faris and Paine, if not more tomboyish, and Fang is also very tomboyish too.

They needed to balance out the male to female ratio, but if they instead added another character or two, how would that work? And before they changed Fang to female, Lightning was originally intended to be a flirtatious femme fatale, but in order to make her more serious like Cloud and Squall before her, they made her very tomboyish.

Hollycat
02-09-2012, 07:34 PM
I would have loved a flirty lightning

SuperMillionaire
02-16-2012, 07:21 PM
So would I, HC, I would have liked Lightning to be the flirtatious femme fatale that she was originally planned to be, instead of this extremely masculine tomboy that she wound up becoming.

Hollycat
02-16-2012, 07:39 PM
why does se think the player wants a quiet and moody main pc?

Jessweeee♪
02-17-2012, 05:37 PM
I feel like Lightning and Squall are the same personality with different life events and circumstances. They both have very matter-of-fact straight to the point attitudes and are not especially friendly. The difference is, Squall shuts everyone out because of his weird abandonment issues, whereas Lightning just doesn't like distractions. She doesn't go out of her way to socialize, but she gets along with people just fine so long as they don't interfere with her goals or endanger Serah. Friends are not her top priority. I think if life had played out a little differently for Squall he'd be just like Lightning.

Also, I think Lightning is probably the most human main character in the series.

SuperMillionaire
02-21-2012, 08:06 PM
True, both characters are very much lone wolves.

And Tetsuya Nomura certainly has a knack for creating moody central main characters with names based on bad weather (well, at least in the Final Fantasy series, anyway). The only exception so far would be Tidus, who was more upbeat and had a name based on good weather.

clairefarron198
01-31-2013, 03:33 PM
actually i think that lightning is perfect as a loner..um i dont support hoperai :nonono:because all she did was save him (the fact hope call her mom made me think lightning as a strong mother figure not lover... ugh) she looks more like a lesbian than straight anyway...i think hoperai is just weird for her character its like matching cloud strife (he acts like lightning) with hope

Mirage
01-31-2013, 03:36 PM
I'm not sure what makes her look lesbian. What does a lesbian look like?

krissy
01-31-2013, 05:17 PM
why hasn't this thread dieeeeed

TrollHunter
01-31-2013, 05:49 PM
Ive never seen the word tomboy used so many times before...

black orb
01-31-2013, 09:24 PM
So would I, HC, I would have liked Lightning to be the flirtatious femme fatale that she was originally planned to be, instead of this extremely masculine tomboy that she wound up becoming.
>>> Lightning fans would be unpleased with that..:luca:

Mirage
01-31-2013, 10:44 PM
She's not very masculine, not physically anyway. Maybe she acts like a tomboy, but so what?

Formalhaut
01-31-2013, 10:53 PM
why hasn't this thread dieeeeed

Because like the series, the compilation of XIII won't die either.

Sephiroth
01-31-2013, 11:57 PM

Lightning was intended to be very masculine. I am glad that she is like she is. I don't have a masculine impression of her at all. She is very female and a bit androgynous, androgynous like Cloud (who is like her pretty androgynous but still totally masculine unlike her) also is but still her whole appearance is very feminine ("tomboyish" still is not too inappropriate when it comes to her behaviour). That was not made without reason. He said, he wanted to make her more masculine but then he changed it for obvious reaso, I mean they even needed a lot effort to program her legs and walking. So when comparing her and Cloud, for example you can find many similiarities but you definitely notice that the one is a man and the other a women. And no, I don't talk about breasts. Ah, ha, ha, ha.

To topic: Lightning should have a love interest. But when the story is about to end or afterwards.

maybee
02-01-2013, 06:30 AM
Nah. Lightning is " a strong black woman who don't need no man " :kakapo:

Sephiroth
02-01-2013, 01:05 PM
Nah. Lightning is " a strong black woman who don't need no man " :kakapo:

Actually the scene of her at her mother's grave and when her mother died in Episode Zero shows a different side. The side why she needed to become "a strong woman", by she needed to become "Lightning" in the first place.

black orb
02-03-2013, 06:39 AM
>>> Lightning is the girl who likes to have casual sex with any guy/girl she pleases, she doesnt need love or any of that crap..

She is that kind of bad ass..:luca:

Formalhaut
02-03-2013, 08:18 PM
>>> Lightning is the girl who likes to have casual sex with any guy/girl she pleases, she doesnt need love or any of that crap..

To be honest, she never shows any interest at all for a relationship, so she could very well be asexual.

TrollHunter
02-04-2013, 02:18 AM
She just spawns offspring at her own choosing.

JaymeNoel
02-04-2013, 03:34 PM
I'm going to sound like such a feminist here and someone mentioned it on the first page jokingly but I have to say no.

The great thing about the recent Final Fantasy's (XII and XIII/XIII-2) in my opinion is that they didn't rely on a love story like VII (in a way), VIII, IX and X did.

Why should Lightning fall in love? It's not Lightning doesn't work hard. It's not like Lightning doesn't have other things to worry about. It's not like Lightning has to have kids, MOTHER.

MAYBE Lightning just wants to focus on herself for awhile.

I promise, that... that wasn't personal...:cry:

blackmage_nuke
02-05-2013, 04:18 PM
I think it would be nice to see a male-male romance in one of these games at some point.
Are we forgetting MogxUmaro :mad2:

Also Lightning isn't a tomboy, she's a Soldier. Should she fall in love? Maybe one day, when there's no more reason for her to fight, but when that day comes there would be no more reason to make games about her.

Skyblade
02-06-2013, 09:08 PM

She has a couple. Don't you read fanfiction?

black orb
02-06-2013, 11:07 PM

To be honest, she never shows any interest at all for a relationship, so she could very well be asexual.
>>> How cruel, Im just a FF nerd who likes to fantasize with one of his fav FF girls :cry:..:luca:

Citizen Bleys
02-06-2013, 11:38 PM
What man would have her?

I mean, sure she's badass and all that; I'd love to have her at my side in a fight, but dinner and a movie? Get real. She's too cold and hostile to be even friend material.

EDIT: And sure yeah, Squall had a girlfriend, but that's only because Rinoa has Down's Syndrome.

Jinx
02-06-2013, 11:44 PM
What man would have her?

I mean, sure she's badass and all that; I'd love to have her at my side in a fight, but dinner and a movie? Get real. She's too cold and hostile to be even friend material.

EDIT: And sure yeah, Squall had a girlfriend, but that's only because Rinoa has Down's Syndrome.

She's so cold that if you tried to make love to her, your junk would freeze and fall off.

black orb
02-07-2013, 12:02 AM
What man would have her?

She's so cold that if you tried to make love to her, your junk would freeze and fall off.
>>> You guys know nothing..
All that changes when she is turned into "sex" mode..:luca:

Mirage
02-07-2013, 12:29 AM
Lightning> Is that almost like gestalt mode?

blackmage_nuke
02-07-2013, 05:52 AM
Triangle to perform Orgasm

NeoCracker
02-07-2013, 12:26 PM
Firstly, I may be late to the following, but in regards to why Fang was made Female, this was a choice made in accordance with Rule 93.
Three Females Rule: There will always be either one or three female characters in the hero's party, no matter how many male characters there are.

And on original topic, I don't like Lightning at all. I would on about why, but it's rather irrelevant.

That said, I like the Idea that we have a female lead who doesn't even so much as have love on the mind.

maybee
02-08-2013, 05:19 AM

I was about to rep you up and then...

shellbuff21
02-23-2013, 08:25 AM
I don't think Lightning's a lesbian. A woman with a strong character and unwavering will, maybe. It's what SE targeted her to be, impression-wise. She'll never be considered a lead protagonist if she isn't (duh?). Well, if Rinoa doesn't exist I will surely go with Lightning and Squall team up (Squaire Farronhart as what they call). With all those (psychic) piercing eye contact conversations, cat/dog arguments because of clashing ideas, opposite POV's and stubborn attitudes, I find it kinda cute. That's a challenge on how they're gonna develop a relationship. Or maybe the you-thought-he's-just-annoying-but-guess-what-you're-already-falling-for-him kind of story. I bet Lightning's not gonna lose her strong personality she already have if there's a guy tagging along with her that is as hardheaded as she was that will occasionally forces her to punch him in the throat. But the moment she learns to care for him she'll eventually show her softer side. She's still a woman after all so she'll soon feel the need for it. It's interesting IMO.

KentaRawr!
02-26-2013, 02:20 AM
Lightning x Hope forever. :greenie:

Quindiana Jones
02-27-2013, 06:52 AM
Also Lightning isn't a tomboy, she's a Soldier. Should she fall in love? Maybe one day, when there's no more reason for her to fight, but when that day comes there would be no more reason to make games about her.

That seems like a fantastic reason to force a love story upon her, then.

Loony BoB
04-07-2013, 09:29 AM
A love interest is something that, for me, wouldn't work well for Lightning's story. You could say that it would allow her a kind of... different side, but I think what makes Lightning 'Lightning' is that she isn't distracted by such things so easily. It would be far more interesting to have someone fall in love with Lightning than it would be to have Lightning fall in love with someone else. I'd love watching Lightning realise that someone is falling for her and then have to try to somehow let them down easily. It would be awkward for her because it's not something she's (seemingly) experienced in.

I'm under the impression that if Light ever did find love, it would not be a mushy kind of love but a more direct kind of relationship where they speak quite matter-of-factly about pretty much everything. Such relationships most certainly do exist, that's for sure.

Zeiferxx
05-06-2013, 07:06 PM
I do not prefer any love interest in RPG (yeah I know that almost in every there is) and I do not prefer main male characters (main protagonists like Squall, Cloud) have a love interest. She is female and she has personality that she has and I would like to see what her love one would be and how that love interest is connected with her character.

SuperMillionaire
11-09-2013, 08:10 PM
You know, I was just thinking: they should have a feminine male character (not Hope, but someone more feminine, and older, than him). Since Lightning is very masculine, perhaps she may need a feminine boyfriend.

I've been taking classes and doing research on gender dynamics lately, and I figured that if Lightning is masculine, she may need someone feminine.

Elskidor
11-09-2013, 08:20 PM
It could work. I don't think a macho masculine male would be her type. She needs a pretty boy to protect and win bread for.

Hollycat
11-09-2013, 08:22 PM
What if she likes girls?

Edit: Or what if she's an asexual, I know a girl like that.

Elskidor
11-09-2013, 08:28 PM
What if she likes girls?

Even better. Just not Serah. That would cause to much controversy. She would have to be a pretty girly girl too though...Fang is too macho too.

Silent Warrior
11-10-2013, 03:16 PM
... Of all the threads to resurrect from the Oblivion Dimension! Pff, I bet she's into Snow anyway, being the reason she punched him in the face so often in XIII.

*KING LOGIC WIN*

KentaRawr!
11-30-2013, 11:13 PM
I totally forgot about this thread, and that I'd posted in it. I beat myself to saying what I came into this thread to say. And that is:

Lightning x Hope forever. :greenie: