PDA

View Full Version : I want to play through all the FFs I own, in order.

Pike
09-19-2011, 02:15 AM
Has anyone else done this? Was it all you ever wanted and more? Or did you get bored by the end of your little marathon? :kakapo:

ITT we persuade me to/dissuade me from doing this.

Laddy
09-19-2011, 02:36 AM
I did and it and only finished I, V, VI, VII, IX, and XIII. xD

Hollycat
09-19-2011, 02:45 AM
did it took about two weeks

ff1, ff2, ff4, ff5, ff6, crisis core, ff7, ff8, ff9, ff10, ff12 (this one took 4 days alone)

forgot to play 10-2 and still havent finished 13

Pike
09-19-2011, 03:12 AM
Well for me it would be: I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII, X, X-2, and XII. Also FFTA and Dirge of Cerberus if we're counting spinoffs. (Not that I really want to play DoC again, but...)

Anything else I've either not played or no longer own for some reason (I lose a LOT of vidya; it's depressing.) Depending on how hardcore I'm feeling I might try to track down some of the missing ones before I start.

I don't think I could do it in two weeks like you, HC, between holding down a job, getting in my daily strategy game fix, and other assorted things.

*coughs* actually I'm unemployed at the moment but PRESUMABLY I'll have something within a week or so... hopefully... :whimper:

Hollycat
09-19-2011, 03:17 AM
Well for me it would be: I, II, IV, VI, VII, VIII, X, X-2, and XII. Also FFTA and Dirge of Cerberus if we're counting spinoffs. (Not that I really want to play DoC again, but...)

Anything else I've either not played or no longer own for some reason (I lose a LOT of vidya; it's depressing.) Depending on how hardcore I'm feeling I might try to track down some of the missing ones before I start.

I don't think I could do it in two weeks like you, HC, between holding down a job, getting in my daily strategy game fix, and other assorted things.

*coughs* actually I'm unemployed at the moment but PRESUMABLY I'll have something within a week or so... hopefully... :whimper:

dont worry about it, there arent many people who are quite as lazy as I am

Wolf Kanno
09-19-2011, 03:43 AM
The best strategy if you are going to marathon through these games is to not feel obligated to finish a title if it gets boring for you. This is especially important with some of the NES titles which are short but can be incredibly tedious due to the "classic" design of them.

I always like going through the titles in some form of order cause i helps me to appreciate what each title did for the series (except X and XIII, they just suck :p ) but some people can't get into some of the older games or some of the more experimental titles so I feel its better to just stop and move on than force yourself through a miserable experience that is just going to make you loathe the game. Otherwise have fun and don't be afraid to ask for help on the forums. :jess:

Rostum
09-19-2011, 11:28 AM
I sometimes get that urge but then I start playing one and I think "Bleh" and just go do something else, lol.

I Don't Need A Name
09-19-2011, 01:22 PM
I sometimes get that urge but then I start playing one and I think "Bleh" and just go do something else, lol.

Ditto. I'd really wanna play it, then think of the hours needed, and decide against it.

Jiro
09-19-2011, 01:55 PM
So long as I finish them all at one point, I'm not fussed. It took me a long time to even beat my first one so it's a simple matter of turtling my way through.

Pike
09-19-2011, 02:26 PM
One of my motivations for wanting to play them all again is that many of these games are ones I haven't touched in a decade (or more), so when we talk about them here on the forum (or anywhere else that discusses vidya, for that matter,) I'm all "hurr de durr which one has the guy with the spikey hair again?" and then I can't contribute anything meaningful to the discussions.

I started replaying FFI recently and was enjoying it but then got distracted by life in general, moving, and all that jazz. So I'd finish that one first. I never spent a lot of time with II so I'm not sure what my experience with that would be, but I've played and enjoyed both IV and VI before. That would cover all the "classics" that I own and I'd just keep movin' on up.

Truthfully I'll be shocked if I actually succeed in this plan, I'm absolutely terrible at sticking to this sort of thing :tongue:

Bolivar
09-19-2011, 03:09 PM
I did. For a while I had never finished the early ones. I got IV on GBA for my DS, then played through V, finished VI for the first time, then did the same for FFI & II. III and XII came out and I had all of them, and I played those. When I beat XII, I thought it was a good opportunity to restart and finally finish FFTactics, having just gone through a big part of Ivalice. When that was done, I got the idea in my head to play through them all in order.

Similar to what Wolf said, it was exciting to start a new game because you immediately see the progress made of each FF. It's also cool b/c the customization systems become more advanced up until IX, X, and XII where they're all just really well polished.

Have fun!

Yar
09-20-2011, 07:46 AM
I think I tried it over a winter break once. I finished IX, got halfway through X and then school started back up. :(

Carl the Llama
09-20-2011, 11:50 AM

I find the lack of V on your list to be a serious fault, this game has a PIRATE that you can play as! Get it, get it NAO!!!

Also, do not rush it, take your time and enjoy the process, people who rush things like this *looks at HC* don't get the full enjoyment out of the game in my opinion, play each of your games, but play them to enjoy them not just to have something to do to squander your time, thats why I always take a long time to do things in games, so I can enjoy the ride and not to have bragging rights of finishing a game before anyone else.

Hollycat
09-20-2011, 03:34 PM

I find the lack of V on yer list to be a serious fault, this game has a PIRATE that you can play as! Get it, get it NAO!!!

Also, do not rush it, take yer time and enjoy the process, people who rush things like this *looks at HC* don't get the full enjoyment out of the game in my opinion, play each of yer games, but play them to enjoy them not just to have something to do to squander yer time, thats why I always take a long time to do things in games, so I can enjoy the ride and not to have bragging rights of finishing a game before anyone else.

I've played 5 and 2 and 12 so much I can pretty much play them in my head.

Mirage
09-20-2011, 03:59 PM
You're not hardcore until you include FF11 to "all FFs in order". So there! If you're not gonna include that, you might as well just quit right now.

Hollycat
09-20-2011, 04:19 PM
Im not rich

Mirage
09-20-2011, 04:51 PM
Cool, cause you don't have to be.

Marshall Banana
09-20-2011, 05:48 PM
Necronopticous and I decided to do this. We're already sidetracked from the final dungeon of FFI NES. XD

I think we're gonna keep at it, though.

sharkythesharkdogg
09-20-2011, 06:16 PM
I do this with the Metal Gears each time I get a new one. I play them in chronological order of the story line.

It's a much smaller list, but still. I haven't played the ones on the NES yet, but I have found them.

Bolivar
09-21-2011, 10:53 PM
I do this with the Metal Gears each time I get a new one. I play them in chronological order of the story line.

It's a much smaller list, but still. I haven't played the ones on the NES yet, but I have found them.

Yeah i do it too. Didn't for PW though... Not sure if I would for the inevitable next one... PW just isn't a game like that... is that weird?

Jiro
09-26-2011, 12:45 PM

What do you think is the shortest minimum game time you can "complete" it in? I'm sure the next summer break will be a golden opportunity for some of our dedicated members to give it a shot :colbert:

Pike
09-26-2011, 03:56 PM

What do you think is the shortest minimum game time you can "complete" it in? I'm sure the next summer break will be a golden opportunity for some of our dedicated members to give it a shot :colbert:

I'm not dedicated enough for FF11. Or whatever their other MMO is. They made another one, right? I pretty much lost track of Square Enix completely after XII.

Mirage
09-26-2011, 10:05 PM

If you are dedicated and play efficiently at any time yer online, and choose the jobs you level strategically well, I'm sure you could complete the "main" storyline in a week or two, and then add another week or two for each additional expansion set storyline, which there are 3 of.

This also assumes you are socially adept enough to make a few friends, or at least acquaintances that you can convince to help you with a few of the higher level story battlefields. You'll probably need two people in addition to yerself, or one if he is hyper extremely super ultra geared and play the right job for the task.

So, even with the monthly fee, if you played your cards right, you could complete the game without spending much more than you would on a new retail console game!

Raian the Fallen
10-03-2011, 12:11 PM
I'm actually in the process of it, but 100%'ing them all. Including ones I haven't even played or finished.

Final Fantasy VII - Completed
Final Fantasy VIII - WIP
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy V
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy XII
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy I
Final Fantasy III

Unfortunately, I don't own X or XII; I'll skip them if I can't pick them up after VI.

Mirage
10-03-2011, 12:29 PM
I see a particular installment missing from that list. You are totally unhardcore.

Marshall Banana
10-03-2011, 05:50 PM
Necronopticous and I finished FFI, finally, on Saturday and started FFII yesterday. We're emulating the English prototype.

Raian the Fallen
10-03-2011, 11:14 PM
I see a particular installment missing from that list. You are totally unhardcore.

X-2? XIII?

I own XIII. It's nothing special imo.

Jiro
10-04-2011, 06:03 AM
He means XI. ;)

Raian the Fallen
10-04-2011, 06:08 AM
He means XI. ;)
I knew that. :P

Honestly, I can't really afford a subscription fee right now. At least until I get a job.

Pike
10-04-2011, 06:28 AM
As an update I'm a few hours into Final Fantasy I. It's more addictive than I remember it being the last time I played through it. Mostly because I'm really OCD with being able to buy all the spells/armor upgrades/etc. so I will sit there and FARM MONSTERS FOREVER in order to upgrade my crap and it's quite satisfying!

Jiro
10-04-2011, 08:25 AM
Feel free to join in here (http://forums.eyesonff.com/final-fantasy/138418-jiro-does-ffi.html), it might be fun to have another perspective!

Marshall Banana
10-04-2011, 05:25 PM
As an update I'm a few hours into Final Fantasy I. It's more addictive than I remember it being the last time I played through it. Mostly because I'm really OCD with being able to buy all the spells/armor upgrades/etc. so I will sit there and FARM MONSTERS FOREVER in order to upgrade my crap and it's quite satisfying!
Which version are you playing?

Slothy
10-04-2011, 05:44 PM

When you get to the stuff that's worth playing, like FFIV for example, I may start playing along with you for a few.

Pike
10-04-2011, 05:47 PM
Which version are you playing?

GBA version. I don't have an NES. :(

Pike
10-28-2011, 09:38 PM
Beat FF1. Onward to FF2! :party:

Wolf Kanno
10-28-2011, 11:14 PM
Good luck, most people reach FFII and decide a marathon playthrough is a bad idea.

Pike
10-29-2011, 01:34 AM
This one will be slow going because not only am I probably going to be working more hours as the holidays pick up, but I'll also be doing NaNoWriMo. So I might not finish in a timely manner. I am hellbent on finishing eventually, though! :kakapo:

Del Murder
10-29-2011, 05:23 AM
Hey, so my brother has been doing this same exact thing. You should check out his blog:

i am not qualified (http://unqualifiedme.com/tag/ffr/)

I would love to do something like this someday but I don't know if I can get past the early games. Maybe if I play the PSP versions of I & II.

Marshall Banana
10-29-2011, 05:47 AM
Good luck, most people reach FFII and decide a marathon playthrough is a bad idea.
Jeremy and I were really far into FFII when we decided to skip it -- and III as well. That's how annoyed we were.

There are some enemies in the Mysidian Cave that can petrify your entire party IN ONE GO. It happened to us so many times that we became fed up; so, lately, we've been playing a little FFIV every night instead. We're playing the original Super Famicom version (I got a really good deal on eBay for FFIV, FFIV: Easy Type, FFV, and FFVI Super Famicom carts).

Pike
10-29-2011, 02:44 PM
Hey, so my brother has been doing this same exact thing. You should check out his blog:

i am not qualified (http://unqualifiedme.com/tag/ffr/)

Awesome, I like the looks of it already. I should link to him on mine & MILF's blog.

(I got a really good deal on eBay for FFIV, FFIV: Easy Type, FFV, and FFVI Super Famicom carts).

That's awesome, I'm jealous. I'll be stuck with remakes until FF7.

Pike
01-10-2012, 02:11 AM
BUMP with an update.

I beat Final Fantasy 2 today. Loved every second of it. It was so much better than I was expecting. The last couple of dungeons were so challenging and so freaking glorious. I also surprised myself by getting kind of attached to the characters.

I'll jump into FF3 tonight or tomorrow! :jess:

chionos
01-10-2012, 04:32 AM
Glad to hear you liked it Pike, so many people don't. The furthest I made it in one of these marathons is I-VII skipping III because I didn't have it at the time. FFVIII seemed so huge after all of that I just couldn't fathom continuing. I also realized at that point that I wasn't actually enjoying myself.

I don't think I could handle doing the PS1 titles by themselves back to back at this point. It would really take some amazing determination and patience to go I-XIII.

Jiro
01-10-2012, 04:36 AM
Gathering some momentum here Pike. ONWARDS!