PDA

View Full Version : branching out

Marky Tee
09-20-2011, 07:36 PM
ok so i feel that for the last god knows how long i have only played final fantasy games

so can anyone recomend some other good rpg series to get into?
or maybe even just any great series to get into?

Remon
09-20-2011, 07:43 PM
Shin megami tensei. :thumb:

sharkythesharkdogg
09-20-2011, 07:47 PM
Uncharted
Dragon Quest
Portal
Suikoden
Parasite Eve
Donkey Kong Country
Metal Gear Solid
Skies of Arcadia
Zelda
Resident Evil
Xenogears/Xenosaga
ChronoTrigger/ChronoCross

that's all I can think of....

Pike
09-20-2011, 08:18 PM
ok so i feel that for the last god knows how long i have only played final fantasy games

so can anyone recomend some other good rpg series to get into?

Can't help you there, I don't play a lot of RPGs, though I'm sure lots of members on this board can provide good input on that for you.

or maybe even just any great series to get into?

Civilization.

Bolivar
09-20-2011, 09:19 PM
Second Metal Gear Solid, Uncharted, and Dragon Quest although the last might not instantly appeal to you compared to the flashy over the top action of FF. It's good to start with Dragon Quest VIII if that's the case.

I also recommend Valkyria Chronicles, Tactics Ogre, and Shining Force, all three amazing SRPGs.

Loony BoB
09-21-2011, 09:16 AM
Lost Odyssey on the Xbox 360 is great, although it may not branch out as far as you might like considering it's made by Mistwalker, which is founded by the founder of Final Fantasy. :p

Wolf Kanno
09-21-2011, 09:32 AM
For RPGs, I'd recommend the Persona series, Suikoden, and Breath of Fire. Wild ARMS isn't too bad either though the quality definitely varies from game to game. Star Ocean isn't too bad either though the later entries are prone to dip their hands in the big jar of anime cliches/fetishes.

If yer looking for something completely different but featuring good story telling, I will third Metal Gear Solid series and suggest Catherine as well which is a fun if absolutely bizarre game. Silent Hill and Fatal Frame are also great and suspenseful titles that everyone should try once. Ico and Shadow of the Colossus are also excellent and a very big change of pace from FF.

If you need baby steps... perhaps Kingdom Hearts or some non-FF Square titles like Xenogears, Vagrant Story, Threads of Fate, Brave Fencer Musashi, the Mana franchise or Front Mission series. Not to mention the Chrono titles.

Pike
09-21-2011, 02:47 PM
Adding SimCity to my earlier post as a good series (of any genre) to get into.

My favorite RPG is and always will be Super Mario RPG. Play that, if you haven't. It's very FF-ish, and very fun. :3

Old Manus
09-21-2011, 02:49 PM
Dropping Final Fantasy games only to play a different RPG game isn't really 'branching out', broseph. Play Incredible Crisis.

Marky Tee
09-21-2011, 06:15 PM
heh thanks for the replies guys ( hey that rhymes :P)

think i might check out dragon quest and shadow of the collosus ( ive already played ico and liked it)

for some reason i just stopped playing kingdom hearts 2 at that weird novelty battle where you have to do weird stuffs
i was really getting into it too
will have to finish it sometime

i just finished chrono trigger and it was awesome though i actually started it many years ago and never finished it til it came out on the ds lol

Bolivar
09-21-2011, 10:40 PM
think i might check out dragon quest and shadow of the collosus ( ive already played ico and liked it)

awesome, you got lots of great options, like I said, I recommend DQVIII first, it'll be the easiest transition from FF since it actually shows attacks and it has an insane, huge, beautiful world and a really tight storyline. The DS games are also pretty awesome and let you cover a "trilogy" although that's really in name only.

Madame Adequate
09-21-2011, 11:56 PM
Incredible Crisis.

I wholly endorse this recommendation, and also add Irritating Stick.

Rostum
09-22-2011, 12:05 AM
Go back and play the Myst series. :D

Play some RTS like Warcraft 3, Starcraft 2 or some such.

Other than what other's have suggested, that's all I can think of for now.

Wolf Kanno
09-22-2011, 05:49 AM
heh thanks for the replies guys ( hey that rhymes :P)

Can't go wrong there.

for some reason i just stopped playing kingdom hearts 2 at that weird novelty battle where you have to do weird stuffs i was really getting into it too will have to finish it sometime

I can sympathize with KH2 kind of being a let down, but personally, if you have a PSP, pick up Birth By Sleep, its a prequel to the series and easily has the best gameplay and customization in the series. The story is pretty damn good as well.

magemasher
09-28-2011, 09:37 PM
Dragon Age Origins and DA2 are decent. I've had Origins for a year and I still haven't fully completed it after 3 or 4 playthroughs. Other than DA an Final Fantasy I'm stuck for good RPG.

Oh yeah Shadow Hearts 1 and 2 are good for the PS2.

Hollycat
09-28-2011, 09:41 PM
ps1 games
crash bandicoot 1,2,3,bash,team racing
spyro 1,2,3

modern games
oblivion
fallout 3
fallout new vegas
assassins creed 2
fancy pants adventures
rachet and clank
rachet and clank future (especially a crack in time)
kingdom hearts
warriors orochi
dynasty warriors (not 6)
minecraft
portal
mirrors edge
pong

Fynn
10-05-2011, 07:56 AM
I remember playing Grandia II and liking it. Can't say anything about the rest of the series though.

If you beat Chrono Trigger, give Radical Dreamers a shot. It's a nice change of pace, being a visual novel of sorts, and I think it's makes for some neat 'hey-I-know-this' moments when you play Chrono Cross later :) You might also want to try Xenogears. It was supposed to be a sequel to Trigger, so I think it's better to play that afterwards, since you can spot all the neat similarities. I think the game is a must-play.

Kyros
10-05-2011, 09:23 AM
dynasty warriors (6 is awesome just a lot different than the others a less stories)
shining force (1 and 2 are awesome)
suikoden (NOT 4 IT SUCKS HARDCORE)
valkyrie profile
harvest moon
warcraft
kotor
lunar

Raian the Fallen
10-05-2011, 09:44 AM
Dragon Quest
Valkyrie Profile
Fire Emblem
Monster Hunter
Blue Dragon
Chrono Trigger/Chrono Cross
Secret of Mana
Seiken Densetsu 3
Super Mario RPG
Paper Mario

...The list goes on. ^^

nik0tine
10-05-2011, 02:40 PM
Play the first Half-Life and it's expansions if you have not already.