PDA

View Full Version : It's not Vapourware

champagne supernova
09-21-2011, 05:38 PM
Square drops new Final Fantasy Versus XIII info -- PlayStation Universe (http://www.psu.com/Square-drops-new-Final-Fantasy-Versus-XIII-info--a012988-p0.php)

When they say photorealism, maybe it will be worth the wait. And they say it has it's own engine, so using a combination of Luminous (which someone must explain) and its own engine - might not land on Xbox then.

Wolf Kanno
09-22-2011, 05:29 AM
Luminous is like Crystal Tools in that it was designed with all the consoles in mind, even the Wii U and Vita apparently (http://www.vg247.com/2011/08/26/square-reveals-new-gaming-engine-luminous/). So there is still a possibility Versus might see another console someday down the road.

Other than that, Nomura has once again basically just said we're working on it without revealing anything new. I want another trailer, not the creator promising he's not spending his time and money on hookers and blow, and is actually working on it.

Jiro
09-22-2011, 06:07 AM
Well he never said he wasn't spending some time and money on hookers. Hence the delay, y'know?

qwertysaur
09-22-2011, 06:50 AM
First comes Kingdom Hearts 3D, then hookers, finally Versus XIII. Unless Nomura feels like making XIII-3 first. :|

Loony BoB
09-22-2011, 09:19 AM
Coming to a gamestore near you - in 2013!

=|

But hey, at least they're taking their time with this one.

Wolf Kanno
09-23-2011, 03:33 AM
Like that's new, XII and XIII both had 5+ year development cycles.

Loony BoB
09-23-2011, 08:50 AM
And both of them were fantastic. ^_^

Wolf Kanno
09-24-2011, 12:47 AM
I'd argue one of them was fantastic, even if it was unfinished, but the other one you could tell the team wasn't actually doing anything for 4 of those 5 years, cause there sure isn't enough content in the whole game to warrant the development cycle it had.

Bolivar
09-29-2011, 08:16 PM
The whole talk of Luminous makes me nervous. On the one hand, it's very smart to have a next-gen engine, because there's already a few released (CryEngine 3, Frostbite 2, id Tech 5) and more on the way (Unreal Engine 4). The fact that this is a technology sharing initiative with its Eidos studios makes it even smarter. But does this mean they wasted 4 or so years and millions of, if not over a hundred million, dollars creating Crystal Tools for... two games (FFXIII & XIV)? If that's the case it's easy to see why SE messed up so bad this gen. It all goes back to last gen; if they were less concerned about making spinoffs on every then-current console possible (up to the very end of the life cycle) and instead more focused on remaining on the cutting edge (as they used to be pre-merger), this probably would have been a much better console generation than it ended up being. And SE shredded A LOT of money making it that way.

I want another trailer, not the creator promising he's not spending his time and money on hookers and blow, and is actually working on it.

Fear and Loathing in Shibuya

Co-starring Hideo Kojima (as himself).

Roogle
09-30-2011, 05:38 PM
It could be worth the wait if photorealism is successfully achieved. That would raise the bar for Square Enix games.

champagne supernova
10-02-2011, 12:44 PM
From what I read, XIII always used its own engine and now they are using the Luminous engine for certain aspects of the game. From what I know of game design, you can combine graphics engines and Luminous will be integrated and used for the lighting effects (I think). I also think that if XIII uses mostly its own proprietary engine, then it will not be coming to the Xbox 360.Also regarding Crystal Tools, the engine is being used for XIII, XIII-2 and XIV. That's three games and it would be probably cheaper and quicker to develop one game engine than creating an engine for each game. And there is a possibility that they will develop one more Final Fantasy before the end of this console cycle, although time is running out.

DMKA
10-09-2011, 03:17 PM
When the game finally comes out it will be behind the times and everyone will call it a piece of garbage for being sooooooooooooooo last gen. Shame because what we have seen of it looked so very promising.

Unless Nomura feels like making XIII-3 first. :|

My god I hope that happens. The reactions on this board would be hilarious.

VeloZer0
10-09-2011, 04:58 PM
They could just keep practicing on FF13-X until they finally realize how to make an amazing game again. Then go on to F15.

Wolf Kanno
10-09-2011, 06:03 PM
Squenix has registered the domain name for FFXIII-3 (http://www.joystiq.com/2011/09/10/final-fantasy-xiii-3-gets-a-head-start-on-domain-name-registrati/). Why they continue to expand on a game that got such mediocre reception and no one really clamored for a sequel in the first place is beyond me. If XIII-3 turns out to be more than vapourware, I won't be surprised if it also gets released before Versus XIII.

I still feel SE should just buckle down and rename Versus XIII into FFXV so fans no longer have to think its also in the works.

VeloZer0
10-09-2011, 08:40 PM
Or maybe things at SE are even worse than we think and they don't even have faith than they can create another game from scratch?

Jiro
10-10-2011, 04:08 AM
See this is where they shot themselves in the foot.

"Let's make a bunch of games around the same mythology!" they said. "We'll call it Fabula Nova Crystallis and name them all Final Fantasy XIII something!"

Cool, they think. We're onto something here. They plan XIII, Versus XIII and Agito XIII.

Then Agito gets renamed and Versus drops off the radar. Cue XIII-2.

If XIII-3 goes through, you're looking at FF Versus XIII, XIII, XIII-2, XIII-3 and Type-0. That is ridiculous. Especially if the others get sequels too. Can you imagine a Versus XIII-2? Good lord. GOOD LORD.

What they should do, and always do, is take a leaf out of FFIV's book. You want to make a sequel? Give it a fucking subtitle. And if they're looking at making compilations/ using the same mythology for a group of games, do the same, or take a leaf out of The Ivalice Alliance - FFTactics (Advance(2)), FFXII, FF Revenant Wings.

I don't even remember my point or if what I'm saying makes any fucking sense but they are idiots and should just finish making all the other games first.

(seriously I have no idea what my original point was)

DMKA
10-10-2011, 04:41 AM
Squenix has registered the domain name for FFXIII-3 (http://www.joystiq.com/2011/09/10/final-fantasy-xiii-3-gets-a-head-start-on-domain-name-registrati/). Why they continue to expand on a game that got such mediocre reception and no one really clamored for a sequel in the first place is beyond me. If XIII-3 turns out to be more than vapourware, I won't be surprised if it also gets released before Versus XIII.

I still feel SE should just buckle down and rename Versus XIII into FFXV so fans no longer have to think its also in the works.

I'm actually really excited for XIII-2. I'm probably the only person in the universe who is, but I am. I haven't been so excited for an upcoming game since...probably Kingdom Hearts II. I'm also probably the only person here who loved FFXIII as much as I did.

But the idea that they're already planning a XIII-3 is pretty ridiculous to me even...but at the same time I'd be lying if I said the idea didn't excite me just a little. :p

I would say it's a precautionary measure on SE's part, you know just in case FFXIII-2 by some miracle does super duper well and makes people want a follow up (LOL!), and that they haven't actually started producing such a game. Although with the things SE's been doing with the FF and KH franchises for the last five years, I certainly wouldn't put already producing a XIII-3 past them.

If XIII-3 goes through, you're looking at FF Versus XIII, XIII, XIII-2, XIII-3 and Type-0. That is ridiculous. Especially if the others get sequels too. Can you imagine a Versus XIII-2? Good lord. GOOD LORD.

Amusingly enough, back in 2006 SE registered the trademark for yet another game, Final Fantasy Haeresis XIII but ended up abandoning it in April 2011. So yeah, there was going to be another one. What their fetish with the number XIII is all about is beyond me too.

VeloZer0
10-10-2011, 05:16 AM
Aside from the fact I don't think a sequel to FF13 is a good idea having them work on FF13-3 before FF13-2 is released doesn't seem so imprudent to me. You don't have 100% of your production teams working on a project at any given times. The people involved in the early aspects of FF13-2 are probably ready to move on to a new project, hence FF13-3.

What they should do, and always do, is take a leaf out of FFIV's book.
And here I was thinking you meant just move on to FF5.

Wolf Kanno
10-10-2011, 05:18 AM

Actually they've already gotten some domain names registered for possible sequels for Agito/Type 0, I believe part of the reason it got a name change was becuase SE felt the series had a good shot of becoming a great franchise in its own right.

ShinGundam
10-10-2011, 08:19 AM
See this is where they shot themselves in the foot. "Let's make a bunch of games around the same mythology!" they said. "We'll call it Fabula Nova Crystallis and name them all Final Fantasy XIII something!" Cool, they think. We're onto something here. They plan XIII, Versus XIII and Agito XIII. Then Agito gets renamed and Versus drops off the radar. Cue XIII-2. If XIII-3 goes through, you're looking at FF Versus XIII, XIII, XIII-2, XIII-3 and Type-0. That is ridiculous. Especially if the others get sequels too. Can you imagine a Versus XIII-2? Good lord. GOOD LORD. What they should do, and always do, is take a leaf out of FFIV's book. You want to make a sequel? Give it a smurfing subtitle. And if they're looking at making compilations/ using the same mythology for a group of games, do the same, or take a leaf out of The Ivalice Alliance - FFTactics (Advance(2)), FFXII, FF Revenant Wings. I don't even remember my point or if what I'm saying makes any smurfing sense but they are idiots and should just finish making all the other games first. (seriously I have no idea what my original point was) No seriously, i am not fan of Ivalice Alliance and how they are connected and i don't mind the whole FNC because directors of each of the 3 projects are responsible for creating a full spec FF game. To me Agito is FF15 and Versus is FF16.
Actually they've already gotten some domain names registered for possible sequels for Agito/Type 0, I believe part of the reason it got a name change was becuase SE felt the series had a good shot of becoming a great franchise in its own right. These are dummy domain names by the way but some people gone overboard and speculate about sequels just because Oriens looked weird by FF standard and felt like a world map from the Iron age.

Wolf Kanno
10-10-2011, 09:08 AM
^ I don't know about that, considering it's scenario, I feel its plausible to create additional games just taking place in different nations with new characters. It would be interesting to watch the whole story played over four games with each one showing a different side of the conflict.

Jiro
10-10-2011, 01:53 PM
There has to be one victor, though, right? Imagine playing three full games where you lose. Shit :p

Wolf Kanno
10-11-2011, 04:40 AM
I don't think enough games have bad endings. :p

VeloZer0
10-11-2011, 05:13 AM
Tons of games have bad endings, I think you meant to say unhappy endings. ;)

Bolivar
10-12-2011, 01:47 PM
Funny how after XIII proved to indeed be an unlucky number for Square, they gave up any chance of new projects in order to completely bog themselves down with the number :)

I read an interview where someone suggested that developers simply can't afford to make console games that aren't a part of well-established IPs anymore. I'm guessing this is one of the main reasons handhelds have been where it's at for classic RPGs lately.

Jiro
10-12-2011, 02:26 PM
I wouldn't mind an ending where every smurfer dies tbh.

EDIT: whoa, some smurfing deja vu up in this tit.

Skyblade
11-09-2011, 05:32 PM
Are we sure it's not vaporware? I mean, Type-0 is already out in Japan, and XIII-2 is coming out relatively soon, and there has been almost nothing on this game.

Meltdown
11-20-2011, 01:56 PM

How bad can it be if you have to make an entire sequel just to justify it's forbearer? Oh Squeenix!

As for the Luminous Engine, it sounds just a little bit hyped to me. Sure we have the EPIC (not) tech-demo (http://youtu.be/J_fbvW0RNjw), but there's no indication how it'll transfer over to Versus (unless they changed the story line in which the entire game takes place in a subway tunnel, which, given the deadlines, wouldn't surprise me).