PDA

View Full Version : Getting Fat

Hollycat
09-22-2011, 04:41 AM
I used to be pretty awesome physically, able to run a mile in 5 minutes 20 seconds, lift 200 pounds (can still do that, but not for as long)) and had no excess fat. Around 6 months ago I cut out the only two forms of exercise; Running and weapons training (knives and a wooden spear). In those short six months I have gained forty pounds and a spare tire. I dont have time to do the exercises I used to. How do I lose weight? what Kinds of exercise do you do? What weapons have you been trained to use or want to learn to use?

Shlup
09-22-2011, 04:49 AM
How do I lose weight?
Step 1: Eat less.
Step 2: Exercise more.

You say you don't have time for the exercise you used to do, and you're metabolism is about to start dying, so... I say you're fucked.

what Kinds of exercise do you do?
I mostly ride my bikes (cruiser or stationary) or walk, and I swim when it's hot.

What weapons have you been trained to use or want to learn to use?
This made me lol for some reason.

I use guns. I was trained to shoot at the age of two, and got my license to kill (animals) at the age of seven. I only shoot cans and shit though; don't like hunting snuggly things.

NorthernChaosGod
09-22-2011, 05:18 AM
Lift 200lbs how?
No excess fat you say? You were 5% body fat or below?

Incredulousness aside: eat less, exercise more. Best thing you can do is go lift some weights with some cardio thrown in for good measure. Barring that, you're going to have to do a lot of bodyweight exercises and a lot of cardio.

It won't be easy, so don't give up if you don't like how things are progressing after a couple weeks.

Hollycat
09-22-2011, 05:22 AM
Lift 200lbs how?
No excess fat you say? You were 5% body fat or below?

Incredulousness aside: eat less, exercise more. Best thing you can do is go lift some weights with some cardio thrown in for good measure. Barring that, yer going to have to do a lot of bodyweight exercises and a lot of cardio.

It won't be easy, so don't give up if you don't like how things are progressing after a couple weeks.

lift 200 pounds:

no Idea how, I dont exacctly have huge biceps, But I've been able to do it for around 2 years.

no excess body fat I mean I didnt have a spare tire or any flab, I was really healthy. now I have flab. And also I had to buy new pants

NorthernChaosGod
09-22-2011, 05:27 AM
I was actually asking how you would go about lifting that, but alright. :p

I should have actually said this first, but you should fix your diet right away; it's an easy way to slim down without doing much. Cut out pretty much all sugars, fast food should be kept to a minimum, keep sodium low, try not eat a bunch of carbs either.

Yar
09-22-2011, 05:38 AM
Fuck that. Eat Ho-Hos and Chicken Mcnuggets by the truckload play video games and keep your couch warm. More cushion for the pushin' I say.

Hollycat
09-22-2011, 05:50 AM
It is an odd day when Julian is being more helpful than someone other than Iceglow (no offense)

Pike
09-22-2011, 06:17 AM
in b4 PG

Bastian
09-22-2011, 06:38 AM
It's not quite as simple as "eat less, exercise more" but it amounts to about the same I suppose.

More specifically:
1) Do something aerobic for at least 22 minutes 3-5 times a week. This can be anything: jogging, hiking at a steep incline, swimming, playing a sport. The important thing is that you take very few rests (really, NO rests if possible) during those 22 minutes.
2) Try to think of the food you eat as fuel, NOT a hobby or reward system. It should be less about taste and more about what you need. No fried foods, no sugar etc. More specifically, pay attention to the caloric and saturated fat totals. Try to remember what you ate yesterday, every little tiny thing. Use an online calorie index to add up how many calories you ate/drank. You be shocked and appalled at just how many calories you're actually getting. I know from experience with clients who say "I barely ate anything yesterday" who when we add up all of the calories from all the little things they dismiss, it's easily triple what they should be getting (2000-2500). However, it's okay to give yourself one cheat meal a week where you let yourself eat those pizza slices or burger.

One quick annecdote: on a non-cheat day, a client said "well, I ate a gardenburger and a smoothy made with frozen yogurt; it was healthy." We looked up the nutrition facts. The garden burger was 700 calories with 34 grams of fat. The frozen yogurt smoothie was another 700 calories. That's 75% their daily allotment of calories and 60% of their daily allotment of fat. And of course because they hadn't known that, they'd eaten a more than double their allotment, all the while convinced they were eating "healthy."

qwertysaur
09-22-2011, 06:41 AM
Weapons qwerty can beat you up with: Nunchaku (one as well as two), katana, wooden staff and my own body. :bigsmile:

You will lose weight if your calorie intake < your calorie use. Also eat meals at regular times, and eat only until you are full. :p

Loony BoB
09-22-2011, 09:25 AM
"No time to exercise anymore" - I call bollocks. Make time!

Iceglow
09-22-2011, 10:28 AM
There is time enough for sleep in the grave.

Words to bear some respect for, they came from former American president Benjamin Franklin (though admittedly my quotation may not be 100% accurate, I know I am right about the who and what they meant). If you're getting 7 - 8 hours of sleep a night, you're sleeping too much. The human body has been scientifically proven to have an optimum sleep requirement of just 6 hours a night. Really though you can push on and live your life quite healthily with just 5 or even 4.5 hours a night. If you're saying you don't have time to exercise as BoB said, make time - sleep less. Sleeping 1 or 2 hours less each night gives you 1 or 2 hours each day you can utilize to get things done. Obviously, you don't want to end up like me, someone who on average will sleep a mere 3.5 - 4.5 hours a night (of course, some nights this is merely impossible for me to keep up and I will sleep for longer on those nights, maybe once every couple of weeks I grab 6 - 8 hours for a night) what I sleep for is not healthy and counts as a massive dose of insomnia.

Once you're sleeping less you have time to exercise.

Also, it makes a change when Julian is being more helpful than someone other than me? Are you saying I'm not normally helpful? or are you saying that Julian isn't normally helpful and I am. Clarify otherwise your obvious (no offense) gets disregarded as we only use that when we know what we're going to say is going to and meant to cause offense. :P

Jiro
09-22-2011, 10:37 AM

Whoa whoa whoa. No, nah-uh. There is every possibility he doesn't have the time to exercise. And there's every possibility that his location isn't conducive to exercising. Half an hour of exercise on my part requires at least that again in travel time investment. Unless of course people can just, I dunno, bounce up and down on the spot for half an hour. Not very fun though :p

Iceglow
09-22-2011, 11:22 AM

Whoa whoa whoa. No, nah-uh. There is every possibility he doesn't have the time to exercise. And there's every possibility that his location isn't conducive to exercising. Half an hour of exercise on my part requires at least that again in travel time investment. Unless of course people can just, I dunno, bounce up and down on the spot for half an hour. Not very fun though :p

There's streets where you are, or at least dirt paths? Hell there is open space where you are? If not there are corridors and stairs where you are? Run bitch run. Go down the park if you need space to do squats/crunches and press-ups there is always space for someone who has the determination.

Slothy
09-22-2011, 12:27 PM

No. Simply eating less won't do squat for you unless you're eating the right foods. All it will do is starve him for energy and have his body telling him that he's hungry all the time until he finally cracks and goes back to eating more.

Weight loss is all about controlling hormones, in particular insulin. But don't worry, I don't have to get all scientific on you because keeping your insulin levels down is easy: just avoid eating sugar, wheat products, and starchy vegetables like potatoes. Focus on eating meat, some fruits and vegetables, and nuts, seeds or oils (ie: olive oil or coconut oil) at every meal and snack. If you can up your physical activity some more (and it's pretty easy to fit in at least 10-20 minutes somewhere in the day) then even better.

Jiro
09-22-2011, 01:55 PM
There's streets where you are, or at least dirt paths? Hell there is open space where you are? If not there are corridors and stairs where you are? Run bitch run. Go down the park if you need space to do squats/crunches and press-ups there is always space for someone who has the determination.

There are steep hills and thick forestry which are nicely populated with a variety of snakes from your garden variety, to something a bit larger (http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/27970_1260482839074_1439762443_30557227_5587143_n.jpg) (that is all of 10cm from my front door, and a baby), to the extremely (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudechis_australis) deadly (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-bellied_Black_Snake) (had one of the second kind in the house previously, removing it was fun). On top of that, the surfaces are quite uneven and hard which plays havoc with my joints and has on occasion caused me serious injury.

The nearest park is, like I said, an investment of at least half an hour travelling.

Oh and if you want another point, try this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Daniel_Morcombe). Look at the name of the place where his remains were found. Born and bred :aimsun:

NorthernChaosGod
09-22-2011, 03:05 PM
It is an odd day when Julian is being more helpful than someone other than Iceglow (no offense)
Fitness is practically my second job after being a student. :|

Pike
09-22-2011, 03:17 PM
I never exercise. Ever ever. But I get all the exercise I need from running around all day at work. See, I have never in my life had a job where you sit down to work. I actually took a pedometer to my last job out of curiosity-- nearly six miles of walking in one day, just doing my normal job. I was working full-time then so you can see how that would add up.

I'm also constantly moving even at home-- just constantly. Bouncing my leg up and down, rocking back and forth in my chair-- if I'm not moving, it drives me nuts. In school I was that person who got up to use the pencil sharpener/go to the bathroom/get a drink about ten times a class period, just because it got me out of my desk.

Anyways all of this seems to have added up and worked for me because I've never had weight problems. And this is despite the fact that I eat terribly. Half of my diet is ice cream and Mountain Dew-- and I'm not exaggerating. In other words I either got lucky with metabolism (which is possible) or all the moving around actually works.

So I guess my advice would be to try to walk/move around more. I don't know much about your situation but if you drive places, park far away from your destination and walk. Get an exercise bike and use it while you watch TV/play games. Put on music and bounce around in your chair while online (like I do). Just... move! :kakapo:

/Pike's token attempt to be helpful in a thread she knows nothing about

choco-chocobo
09-22-2011, 03:41 PM
I wouldn't worry about having to do as much exercise as you used to. To keep trim, i just do 20 sit ups and pushups every morning / night which takes like 5 minutes each.
After that, it's just little things like taking the stairs instead of lifts or escalators, walk to the shops rather than drive, that sort of thing. Little exercise throughout the day makes a huge difference.

I don't really have that much of a strict diet, i just drink green tea, always diet sodas, lots of water and i avoid sugary foods most of the time.

You also have to keep in mind that you should eat according to your own needs, everyone's body works a little differently so you should adapt your habits to what works for you.

Araciel
09-22-2011, 04:08 PM
srs, where IS PG?!

Work out your legs - squats and jumping and such - they're the biggest+easiest muscles to work out and the bigger those mucles get, the faster your body will burn up what you eat just while sitting aroung.

NorthernChaosGod
09-22-2011, 06:44 PM
srs, where IS PG?!

Work out your legs - squats and jumping and such - they're the biggest+easiest muscles to work out and the bigger those mucles get, the faster your body will burn up what you eat just while sitting aroung.
This is good advice. Working out your legs is fairly easy and will also boost muscle hypertrophy in other areas.

Loony BoB
09-23-2011, 10:01 AM

There are steep hills and thick forestry which are nicely populated with a variety of snakes from yer garden variety, to something a bit larger (http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/27970_1260482839074_1439762443_30557227_5587143_n.jpg) (that is all of 10cm from my front door, and a baby), to the extremely (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudechis_australis) deadly (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-bellied_Black_Snake) (had one of the second kind in the house previously, removing it was fun). On top of that, the surfaces are quite uneven and hard which plays havoc with my joints and has on occasion caused me serious injury.

The nearest park is, like I said, an investment of at least half an hour travelling.

Oh and if you want another point, try this (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Daniel_Morcombe). Look at the name of the place where his remains were found. Born and bred :aimsun:
Man, you sound like Danielle's mum. I get a sore neck and she freaks out thinking it might be meningitis. While I can understand caution, saying that you should not go jogging outside because of snakes and child predators is like saying you shouldn't cross the road because there are cars and trucks.

Beyond all that, though, what's to stop someone from exercising in their own home? Danielle does it. I do it. *shrug* And I stand by that you can make time for exercise. "But I have to do other things!" ...do you really? Are they more important than yer physical health? Eh. That's about priorities, really. You can't do it all, you can't have it all, so you have to decide what is important to you and prioritise.

And, with all that said, I still call bollocks. :p To me, someone who says "I have no time to exercise" is basically just saying "I can't be bothered to do exercise, or at least that kind of exercise." Which is fine. More often than not, I can't be bothered, either. But at least be honest about it. :) I mean, HC said he could run a mile in five minutes 20 seconds. ...how does he not have the time to do that now?

Shlup
09-23-2011, 10:11 AM

No. Simply eating less won't do squat for you unless you're eating the right foods. All it will do is starve him for energy and have his body telling him that he's hungry all the time until he finally cracks and goes back to eating more.

Weight loss is all about controlling hormones, in particular insulin. But don't worry, I don't have to get all scientific on you because keeping your insulin levels down is easy: just avoid eating sugar, wheat products, and starchy vegetables like potatoes. Focus on eating meat, some fruits and vegetables, and nuts, seeds or oils (ie: olive oil or coconut oil) at every meal and snack. If you can up your physical activity some more (and it's pretty easy to fit in at least 10-20 minutes somewhere in the day) then even better.

Well excuse me for not writing a novel. I'm taking your title back.

Rantz
09-23-2011, 10:20 AM
weapons training (knives and a wooden spear)

What are you training for, the battle of Thermopylae or something?

Slothy
09-23-2011, 04:05 PM

Well excuse me for not writing a novel. I'm taking your title back.

You can pry it out of my cold dead hands.

Hollycat
09-23-2011, 04:24 PM
weapons training (knives and a wooden spear)

What are you training for, the battle of Thermopylae or something?

I always fantasized about living in the three kingdoms era

Peegee
09-23-2011, 04:45 PM
in b4 PG

I was going to just read mandee's post, smirk and leave. Now I was summoned.

Vivi is right - @ OP - eat more bloody food, healthy food, and exercise. What, you can't exercise? Nonsense! There's a playground outside. There's a tree on the street. There's the floor over there. Run, skip, prance, pushups, pullups, body weight squats, gardening, recreational arrangement of furniture around your house...the list is endless.

40 lbs is pretty high. Give yourself about a year to do it, and then sometime next summer (around may) when you've lost the 40 lbs, we can celebrate with ice cream!

NorthernChaosGod
09-23-2011, 05:10 PM
Can I summon you to my gym?

Araciel
09-24-2011, 01:15 AM
*casts summon PG*

Kokichi
09-24-2011, 01:28 AM
Sup with them carbs.

Iceglow
09-24-2011, 05:20 AM

There are steep hills and thick forestry which are nicely populated with a variety of snakes from your garden variety, to something a bit larger (http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/27970_1260482839074_1439762443_30557227_5587143_n.jpg) (that is all of 10cm from my front door, and a baby), to the extremely (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudechis_australis) deadly (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-bellied_Black_Snake) (had one of the second kind in the house previously, removing it was fun). On top of that, the surfaces are quite uneven and hard which plays havoc with my joints and has on occasion caused me serious injury.

Snakes, Spiders, Kangaroos to kick your face in.....Sharks and Jellyfish to fuck you in the ocean, that's just Australia. You ought to be a regular Steve Irwin interbred with Bear Grylls by now. Get over it and get on with it, go excercise, if you die then you die a hero.

As for 13 year old boys being kidnapped, possibly raped and then murdered in the outback, well. You may look like a 13 year old boy, yet you really aren't and I'm sure once they see the two pubes what grow from your chin and find that your balls have dropped you'll be quite safe from being raped and murdered, you'll only end up murdered.

blackmage_nuke
09-25-2011, 02:42 AM
Best way to lose weight: amputation

Timerk
09-25-2011, 01:50 PM
I'm poor, so excess food isn't a problem for me. Also, chain smoking.

NorthernChaosGod
09-25-2011, 07:33 PM
Best way to lose weight: amputation

< Stalin> You could put out ads in magazines and online and such, guaraunteed 25-30 lbs weight loss overnight or yer money back
< Stalin> and then send them instructions on how to amputate one of their legs

Hollycat
09-25-2011, 08:20 PM
I is following Julians advices

NorthernChaosGod
09-25-2011, 11:03 PM
Amputation or the real advice?

Hollycat
09-26-2011, 12:32 AM
real

NorthernChaosGod
09-26-2011, 01:33 AM
:monster:

Peegee
09-26-2011, 01:50 AM
There Is No Biological Reason to Eat Three Meals a Day -- So Why Do We Do It? | Food | AlterNet (http://www.alternet.org/food/152486/there_is_no_biological_reason_to_eat_three_meals_a_day_--_so_why_do_we_do_it/?page=1)

More proof: crunches alone won't give you a sixpack (http://t.co/Qkk5WBKf)

New Study Suggests We Really Are What We Eat (http://t.co/GOGLgTpw)

The 6 Most Horrifying Lies The Food Industry is Feeding You | Cracked.com (http://t.co/9a4nHYWZ)

Rethinking the Exercise &#039;Talk Test&#039; - NYTimes.com (http://t.co/LFrI3yQ9)

Are You As Fit As a World War II GI? | The Art of Manliness (http://artofmanliness.com/2011/09/12/are-you-as-fit-as-a-world-war-ii-gi/)

your grandpa was doing crossfit before it was cool.

NorthernChaosGod
09-26-2011, 02:06 AM
Anyone that actually believes links #2 and 5 deserves to be fat.

Laddy
09-27-2011, 04:17 AM
I'm proficient in the scimitar, maquitl, nunchaku, katar, rapier, chakram, lance, and bolo.

Serious.

NorthernChaosGod
09-27-2011, 04:40 AM
You really like long, hard things, don't you?

Lane
10-20-2011, 06:24 PM
As you mentioned that you are running daily almost 1 miles then according to my observation your distance of the running is little bit low. you must run at least 5 miles in a day to get the good results.

NorthernChaosGod
10-20-2011, 07:05 PM
As you mentioned that you are running daily almost 1 miles then according to my observation your distance of the running is little bit low. you must run at least 5 miles in a day to get the good results.
No, bot.

Hollycat
10-20-2011, 07:06 PM
No, bot.

My sentiments exactly

DMKA
10-20-2011, 08:18 PM
Justy has it right.

Post like Bastion's are exactly why I gave up on trying to keep a certain shape. Yeah, there was a time I had an awesome physique, but I was miserable as hell because I hated all the work it took to keep it up. I'm not blessed with an efficient metabolism, so in order for me to maintain an ideal shape I have to do sickening amounts of exercise and not eat anything I actually like to eat. And I love to eat. So you know what? smurf it, I'll eat what I want and wear my tad of extra baggage proudly. Fat and happy >>>> fit and depressed.

But that's just me. I know exercise and staying in shape does a lot for a lot of people's overall happiness and well being and when that's the case you should by all means partake in said activity.

NorthernChaosGod
10-20-2011, 09:08 PM
Justy has it right.

Post like Bastion's are exactly why I gave up on trying to keep a certain shape. Yeah, there was a time I had an awesome physique, but I was miserable as hell because I hated all the work it took to keep it up. I'm not blessed with an efficient metabolism, so in order for me to maintain an ideal shape I have to do sickening amounts of exercise and not eat anything I actually like to eat. And I love to eat. So you know what? smurf it, I'll eat what I want and wear my tad of extra baggage proudly. Fat and happy >>>> fit and depressed.

But that's just me. I know exercise and staying in shape does a lot for a lot of people's overall happiness and well being and when that's the case you should by all means partake in said activity.
You talk like the two are mutually exclusive.

Talk to PG, he pretty much eats whatever he wants. And back before I broke my finger I was easily getting ~3500 calories of food a day.

DMKA
10-20-2011, 09:15 PM
Talk to PG, he pretty much eats whatever he wants. And back before I broke my finger I was easily getting ~3500 calories of food a day.
For me they are. If I consume more than 1200 calories a day and don't follow it by working my ass off I gain like ten pounds of fat.

Inferior genes suck.

NorthernChaosGod
10-20-2011, 09:28 PM
Well now I'm just concerned with how much you're exaggerating that by.

Peegee
10-20-2011, 11:03 PM

Seriously. There's only so much you can blame on inefficient macro nutrient absorption.

I stopped working out for a week. I ate my normal 2-3 big meal diet (2500-3000 Cals) and I lost 2 lbs doing it.

So I probably lost water. :(

CelShadedDreams
10-20-2011, 11:10 PM

Seriously. There's only so much you can blame on inefficient macro nutrient absorption.

I stopped working out for a week. I ate my normal 2-3 big meal diet (2500-3000 Cals) and I lost 2 lbs doing it.

So I probably lost water. :(

Or did a really big poop.

Smaller portions and drink less if you drink more than 2litres of water a day. After a while your stomach will shrink so you won't be hungry for big portions. Only buy what you'll eat that day. It's not an economical way of shopping, but if there's no food there for you to snack on you won't snack.

Also, if you drink beer then switch to spirits. Less calories. A pint of beer if the equivalent of eating a mars bar. No one thinks it's weird to drink say 6 pints in a night, but they'll frown at 6 mars bars

NorthernChaosGod
10-21-2011, 03:45 AM
If you're that worried about calories, you should just cut out alcohol all together. Beer at least has some nutritional value, spirits have none.

DMKA
10-21-2011, 04:19 AM
The best shape I've ever been in my life was also when I drank the heaviest, and none of it was beer. :p

NorthernChaosGod
10-21-2011, 05:02 AM
The best shape I've ever been in my life was also when I drank the heaviest, and none of it was beer. :p
Were you also a teenager? :p

DMKA
10-22-2011, 12:28 AM
Were you also a teenager? :p
Nope, early 20s.

Peegee
10-23-2011, 02:32 PM
I was sub 10% body fat until i turned 22 or 23.

I'm poor, so excess food isn't a problem for me. Also, chain smoking.

I find that being poor is not a factor, merely a lack of education. poor people are overweight all over the world.

that said, being poor means you can't go to the gym, but it does mean you can go to the ymca or the playground..

hmph. my argument is not going anywhere.

NorthernChaosGod
10-23-2011, 07:02 PM
Is that from askscooby? i mad