PDA

View Full Version : Writing Utensils Addicts Anonymous

Pike
09-22-2011, 07:21 PM
So I just moved (back to my home state! :kakapo: ) and I've been unpacking here and there and as I've been doing so I noticed I have like 50 pens and mechanical pencils. It's quite silly because I never even manually write anything anymore, but, there you go.

I'm not sure where they all came from. I think a lot of it was from all those years of school, where I'd just buy a new pack of pens/pencils every year rather than find old ones. But on the other hand, I think I have a "thing" for cool looking pens. Not a Big Thing. But... a Little Thing. I like them.

I know I'm not alone because things like the Mechanical Pencil Review Blog (http://davesmechanicalpencils.blogspot.com/) exist and get thousands of hits a day. I mean, I'm not quite at that point yet, I guess. Fortunately.

What about you guys?

Originally I was going to title this thread "Pens Addicts Anonymous" but I decided it looked somewhat dodgy at first glance. Although I guess it might have gotten more views that way.

fire_of_avalon
09-22-2011, 07:54 PM
Hi my name is.... Pegan.... and I'm a Writing Utensil Addict.

The addiction, for me, began when I was about four. I started small; 8 pack Crayola crayons.

My favorite was red. It was fiery, it was bold. It was incredible. I scribbled it into a nub.

At my lowest point, I would scribble with rocks on concrete.

But that was my gateway... from there I met the Ticonderoga yellow #2, the basic Bic black pen. I found quills, calligraphy pens, charcoal pencils. Papermate? Came and went for me. I blew through their utensils like a hurricane through a straw shack. With one exception...

I've fallen into a very comfortable niche on my way. The Papermate Mirado Black Warrior (http://www.officemax.com/office-supplies/arts-crafts-supplies/wood-pencils/product-ARS25740) is my go to pencil. I love everything about it, fuck the haters. It's also an American made product. Makes me proud of my country. The current love of my life, however, is the Pilot Precise V5 rolling ball pen. (http://www.pilotpen.us/ProductGroup/711-Precise-V5-V7.aspx) I would give your life for this pen. I love everything about this pen. It is astounding. While the Precise V5 is typically made in Japan, I have come across a few made in the USA. Everyone at work steals my pens. They are awful.

Bastian
09-22-2011, 08:10 PM
I've been packing for a move as well, and in doing so realized I have... I don't know HOW many pens of every hue of color imaginable. At least a hundred. And then because I was convinced most of them probably wouldn't work anymore and I would be able to throw them out, I tested EACH ONE... and only three didn't work so well. :/

NorthernChaosGod
09-22-2011, 08:52 PM
Best pen ever.

Yar
09-22-2011, 08:57 PM
I prefer wooden pencils to mechanical ones. They may be a pain in the ass to sharpen, but the print looks better imo.

I hate hate HATE ballpoint pens. They look dull and really make Japanese look ugly. I prefer gel ballpoints. I would use fountain pens, but I'm left-handed. :(

EDIT: The pen NCG posted is the very same kind I use!! It's perfect. It's bold and smooth.

EDIT Part Deux: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwYTibTbYHQ ooh

Pike
09-22-2011, 09:01 PM
Best pen ever.

I have one of these sitting in front of me right now :o

But this. This right here, guys. This is the god-tier mechanical pencil.

http://www.officeworks.com.au/ims_docs/49/496D7FCA04AB42C6E1008000AC193D36.JPG

EDIT: Justy that video was one of the most fascinating things I've ever seen in my life

Shiny
09-22-2011, 09:24 PM
Silly human, pens are for kids. Back in my day we just cut off our fingers and used the blood as ink for our quills.

NorthernChaosGod
09-22-2011, 09:25 PM
I'm not a big fan of pencils (I prefer pen), but Ticonderoga's are God tier pencils.

fire_of_avalon
09-22-2011, 09:30 PM
You shut your filthy mouth. Shut it. Shut it right now.

rubah
09-22-2011, 09:32 PM
I hate hate HATE ballpoint pens. They look dull and really make Japanese look ugly. I prefer gel ballpoints. I would use fountain pens, but I'm left-handed. :(
buy a brush pen. They're so much fun!

I have a mechanical pencil that makes me very happy. It's .7mm lead because I got tired of my lead breaking. it's blue with a nice rubber grip that isn't overwrought.

as for pens, I like the G2 that NCG posted, but sometimes it's nice just to have a simple ballpoint. I have some I got from my bank that write nicely, and in addition, write on skin, which is one of the biggest failings of the Pilot G-2.

Of course, in sixth grade, gel pens were the rage. We all had so many colors! That's what we collected instead of pokemon (they banned pokemon at my school)

Pike
09-22-2011, 10:27 PM
I used to go for ballpoint over gel because ballpoint would work better on duplicate checks. But the other day I was thinking about this and realized that I haven't written a check in like two years so I don't think pen type will matter to me any longer.

As for mechanical pencils-- I'm in love. I use them for everything, including art. (Well, now I use a tablet. But before the tablet, my mechanical pencil sketched many, many things.)

Pumpkin
09-22-2011, 10:31 PM
I use paper mate pens and the commercial says "world's smoothest pen" and they are just awesome.
They're almost as awesome as cheese and lampshades.

NorthernChaosGod
09-23-2011, 02:16 AM
You shut your filthy mouth. Shut it. Shut it right now.
NO!

Shlup
09-23-2011, 10:13 AM
Is fifty a lot of writing utensils? I think I keep a pretty tidy inventory, but it's certainly over 50.

I usually write with marker. I like really inky markers.

This is my favorite pencil:

http://kawaii.kawaii.at/images/product_images/info_images/Rilakkuma-bunny-strawberry-mechanical-pencil-figure-161779-1.jpg

sharkythesharkdogg
09-23-2011, 04:53 PM
I write with whatever is around, and don't care. :confused:

I'm gonna be that guy.

Rantz
09-23-2011, 04:58 PM
I take joy in using good writing utensils, but I would not say I have an addiction. I do, however, now have an addiction to How It's Made.

Yar
09-23-2011, 08:18 PM
yes me too rantz omg

Peegee
09-23-2011, 08:28 PM
I never write anything except when at work

NorthernChaosGod
09-23-2011, 09:01 PM
I write with whatever is around, and don't care. :confused:

I'm gonna be that guy.
You're an awful human being.

Araciel
09-25-2011, 09:11 PM
I have a sharpshooter's collection of pens, pencils and other writing devices - I need them for my nerd games.

Whether it's an unprepared player needing a pencil or a map that needs to be drawn, you can bet I have all the bases covered. I keep them for utility, though I do have some REEEALLLY nice jobs like the 20.00 G&T mech pencil I have that accepts multiple sizes of leads and my calligraphy set I have just because.

Parker
09-25-2011, 10:02 PM
hi, see my name

secret admission: i prefer using pencils

Jiro
09-26-2011, 05:02 AM
I used to carry around three pens with me at all times; blue, black and red. You never know when you need a pen. The three musketeers, as I named them, have since passed on. Now I am always, always, accompanied by one of my band of merry pens.

I also like mechanical pencils (they are the same thing as pacers right? Pacers is what I know them as) instead of ordinary pencils but I have at least 100 of each :|