PDA

View Full Version : conference call hell

fire_of_avalon
09-23-2011, 06:20 PM
I hate freaking conference calls. They are the worst part of my job because all we ever do is let the host read to us from job aids and emails. I just want you to leave me alone and let me do my job.

What do you do for a living and what is the worst part of your job? What's the best part? The best part of my job is talking to new people everyday and getting to work in a diverse, dramatic and challenging environment.

Pike
09-23-2011, 06:26 PM
I work in retail and have for about ten years now. The worst part is that it's retail and I hate it. The best part is that it's a (meager) paycheck. x_x

Peegee
09-23-2011, 06:26 PM
I talk to people and I send work orders to places.

The best part of my job is the ability to minimize speed of actions in order to maximize results. I could not handle a job where I was unable to min/max

The worst part of the job is when clients have different positive pay matching services (see Cash management - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cash_management) -> positive pay) - and they fail to tell you, and your account profile does not indicate so. Then it becomes a time sink until you realize to check.

Jessweeee♪
09-23-2011, 06:48 PM
I'm an office assistant, so I just do small tasks that the office manager is too busy to do, or do computer things that no one else knows how to do. Mostly helping my superiors figure out doodads on their email or facebook and push buttons on the printer. So far the worst part is doing things that require a lot of education and/or training that I don't have just because my boss doesn't want to pay a professional. Like accounting and marketing strategies. But my supervisor understands that this is my first job, and she usually doesn't know how do to what the boss is asking either, so we both just kind of fumble with it and give him our best :confused:

sharkythesharkdogg
09-23-2011, 07:05 PM
Well, one good aspect of that is that it means probably no one else in the office knows exactly what the boss wants or how to do it either. So if you learn it, and satisfy your boss, it makes you valuable.

Valued employee = job security. :)

My least favorite aspect is diagnosis of issues vs labor rates.

Example of diagnosis: I had a BMW come in not running. It would crank, that's it. After a few hours of diagnosis I narrowed it down to the fuel pump.

The labor rate for replacing the fuel pump in that car is around an hour. The customer had looked this up (ask Dr. Google) and got upset that I was charging close to two hours in labor for an hour job. I explained that originally no one knew what was wrong. Just that the car wouldn't run. I was being nice only charging another .8 hours in labor because it actually took me about 2 hours to diagnose the issue. I should have charged 3 hours of labor plus the part, but was trying to be merciful. He shut up, but I could tell he still felt a little ripped off. This is a common thing. People think when they drop the car off, we immediately know why it's broken and just replace a part. They don't understand and/or like having to pay the labor of finding what's wrong in the first place. Really, that's the most important part of what we do. Any jackass could have replaced that pump. It was my experience that led me to know that's what was wrong in the first place.

There's a few other things that get one my nerves but that's long enough. End rant.

rubah
09-23-2011, 09:20 PM
the worst part of my job is not getting hired

NorthernChaosGod
09-23-2011, 11:29 PM
I'm a full-time student. :monster:

The worst part is doing homework. The best part is... learning?

fire_of_avalon
09-23-2011, 11:44 PM
Jessweeee I am often in the same boat you are with knowledge of technology. For the last few months I've been keying financials for my boss because I'm "the fastest gun in the west" (my boss is corny, we're the western side of our district.) It is good to be valued for a skillset unique for your specific job.

Of course I also get MEGAN THE REGISTERS ARE ALL DOWN FUCK WHAT DO. Which is a pain in the ass.

Kokichi
09-23-2011, 11:45 PM
the worst part of my job is not getting hired

fffff I just stopped thinking about how sad that is.

I'm a tutor at the college I attend, and a lot of my tutees waste my time by hyping up our sessions to not show up the next day.

Araciel
09-24-2011, 01:28 AM
Basically I make cell phones work for people - so a big part of my job is taking inbound client calls and doing conference calls as well.

The worst part of my job is training - it's useful but I usually finish way before everyone else..

Just like in other areas of my life, this is not always enjoyable.

Jiro
09-26-2011, 05:10 AM
I have to memorise a lot of stuff and talk to and in front of a lot of people. :(

Shiny
09-26-2011, 09:50 AM
I'm currently working a pimp for ShlupQuack, foa, Jessewee, and Jiro. The best part is that I gets my money. The worst part is having to wax Jiro's private parts.

Jiro
09-26-2011, 01:04 PM
What I lack in facial hair I make up for in :jokey:

No seriously wtf is going on here, am I being raped while I'm asleep?

Pheesh
09-26-2011, 01:10 PM
I work as a concreter. The worst part is that I'm a concreter...and the severe back, neck and shoulder problems.

The best part is the pay (which I get to spend on music) and the tan.

NorthernChaosGod
09-26-2011, 02:53 PM
I'm currently working a pimp for ShlupQuack, foa, Jessewee, and Jiro. The best part is that I gets my money. The worst part is having to wax Jiro's private parts.
I'll take five of each.