PDA

View Full Version : New computer?! Well it's new to me!

Araciel
10-01-2011, 01:01 AM
So my little sister got a handmedown computer from her man and so I got a handmedown from her - my old system was a P4 3ghz single core with 1gb of RAM and a 512 mb video card.

The 'new' one is an AMD phenom x...2? triple core 2.4 ghz or something with 3 gb of RAM and i dunnoyet graphics. It has Vista on it - what should I do about the vista part?! Like should I continue using Vista, switch to XP or upgrade to 7 (or try the free 8)?

Also what kind of awesome free stuff have y'all recently gotten?!

Mirage
10-01-2011, 01:25 AM
Why don't you just try it out and make up your own opinion? :p

well, win 7 is better than vista in just about every way, but of course, win7 isn't free.

Peegee
10-01-2011, 01:26 AM
dxdiag

vista fine 7 better

i lost my phone for about a week so now i has a new phone.

evo 3d htc. b4 you lol rogers has crappy phones.

ps james you tell me when the galaxy s2 comes out! <3

Araciel
10-01-2011, 01:28 AM
Every provider has equally good/bad phones (big three providers anyway) Galaxy S2 comes out... soon. I get no advance info which I guess is a good thing.

Yeah I'm torn - don't wanna pay for win7 - is xp even worth bothering with, with a multicore comp?! /googles.

Carl the Llama
10-01-2011, 01:33 AM
I am pretty sure the max number of cores you can use with an XP system is dual, though I am not 100% sure about that.

With regards to you whole win 7/Vista problem, I would definitely recommend using Win7 as Mirage said, Win7 is better then Vista in just about every way, and Mirage would know being a tech head.

Araciel
10-01-2011, 01:35 AM
O also I got 350 back from landlord for moving out two weeks early! rockin!

Carl the Llama
10-01-2011, 01:43 AM
O also I got 350 back from landlord for moving out two weeks early! rockin!

A landlord GAVE you money, what did you do, beat him over the head and rob him? xD

Araciel
10-01-2011, 01:45 AM
I said I got it BACK - paid first and last and agreed we can move out two weeks early so he's giving some back since the new tenants are moving in early and paying him.

Mirage
10-01-2011, 12:04 PM
I am pretty sure the max number of cores you can use with an XP system is dual, though I am not 100% sure about that.

With regards to you whole win 7/Vista problem, I would definitely recommend using Win7 as Mirage said, Win7 is better then Vista in just about every way, and Mirage would know being a tech head.
You can utilize way more than 2 cores on WinXP.

Pike
10-01-2011, 03:26 PM

The other day my dad bought me a Peanut Butter Bash from Dairy Queen.

Raian the Fallen
10-02-2011, 08:36 AM
@OP: Either stick with Vista, or check out 7. Vista isn't as bad as people say, once you tweak and optimize it better.

Pike
10-02-2011, 03:34 PM
I vote upgrade to 7. I've never used it but it's supposedly good. My XP partition, meanwhile, is a crashing bluescreen nightmare. Your mileage may vary, though, I guess.

Araciel
10-02-2011, 09:02 PM
Stickin with vista because it's cheapest and easiest .. gotta build a real system anyway.

Rostum
10-02-2011, 09:25 PM
I'd go with Windows 7, you can easily download it and run it with no troubles if money is an issue. I haven't had a single problem with the OS, even after a year or so it still runs very fast and efficient.

Peegee
10-02-2011, 10:51 PM
windows xp will not be able to properly handle the hardware in that computer. stick with vista if you don't want to pay/get 7

Mirage
10-03-2011, 12:16 AM
In what way will it not be able to handle the hardware in that computer?

Peegee
10-03-2011, 05:23 AM
hmph

i was going by memory and now just realized there's not even more than 4 gigs of ram. also windows xp supports multicoar processors

so disregard that i suck c..

/flees

Jiro
10-03-2011, 06:04 AM
I got some free cookies.

Tasted good man.

Raian the Fallen
10-03-2011, 07:19 AM
Windows XP is old, and you're kind of stuck with DirectX 9 and 4GB of memory.

Windows 7 optimizes memory better has DirectX 11+, and is just a lot more delightful to use than Vista, but if you're not really in the position to pick up 7, Vista is still better than XP nowadays.

Iceglow
10-03-2011, 08:39 AM
Every provider has equally good/bad phones (big three providers anyway) Galaxy S2 comes out... soon. I get no advance info which I guess is a good thing.

The galaxy s2 may as well be an iPhone 4. Seriously in just about every single way it's the damn same phone and much like how the Galaxy Tab is getting massively sued over so is the Samsung G2 and it's not even out yet. I've had the opportunity to play on one, gotta love meeting with technology company reps "to learn about their products"

I don't know about awesome but I got a free hug the other day.

Raian the Fallen
10-03-2011, 09:14 AM
All hugs are free. I've never seen anyone charge for a hug.

Iceglow
10-03-2011, 09:26 AM

Then you've never taken someone out for dinner.

Mirage
10-03-2011, 10:33 AM
hmph

i was going by memory and now just realized there's not even more than 4 gigs of ram. also windows xp supports multicoar processors

/flees
If the PC had more than 4 GB of ram, there's still Windows XP x64 edition!

Raian the Fallen
10-03-2011, 11:34 AM

Then you've never taken someone out for dinner.

i see what u did thar

Peegee
10-03-2011, 02:37 PM
hmph

/flees
If the PC had more than 4 GB of ram, there's still Windows XP x64 edition!

true
but apparently directx 11 no aupport. so what kinda games do you play james?

Araciel
10-03-2011, 11:46 PM
This comp won't run the games I wanna play - can run ps1 max.. .ps2 slows it down and I need to build a new system before old republic and D3

ALSO please re-text me.