PDA

View Full Version : Iconic scenes/movies you dont get

blackmage_nuke
10-02-2011, 02:08 PM
I just watched Say Anything after rewatching a certain episode of Modern Family, and I do not get what is so great about the boombox scene. Had I not known the reference I would not have understood what was going on, and it doesnt even look like he's outside her window (he's in a park), she doesnt rush out to see him as what seems to happen in every parody and I do not get what is so parody worthy about this scene or why it is always referenced as romantic when it seems to be aiming for depressing.
Normally when I see something thats well known which I dont like, i can still see the appeal and why it would be interesting to some people, but i just dont get this movie and especially not this scene.
Also they never wore seatbelts which irked me.

So any popular movies or such you dont get?

Rocket Edge
10-02-2011, 02:25 PM
Anchorman. I actually am a big fan of Will Ferrell but for the life of me can never get the humour of this movie, yet my friends have it up on a pedestal.

Crop
10-02-2011, 03:39 PM
All of the Star Wars films.

I'm a huge fan of sci-fi, but I just do not enjoy these movies at all. I've tried watching the original trilogy about 5 times and I just end up turning the first movie off every time, it's just so boring. I've given up now and I feel fine saying now that Star Wars is not only overrated, but is also rubbish.

CimminyCricket
10-02-2011, 04:20 PM

I'm a huge fan of sci-fi, but I just do not enjoy these movies at all. I've tried watching the original trilogy about 5 times and I just end up turning the first movie off every time, it's just so boring. I've given up now and I feel fine saying now that Star Wars is not only overrated, but is also rubbish.

Lies and political slander.

Laddy
10-02-2011, 05:27 PM

I'm a huge fan of sci-fi, but I just do not enjoy these movies at all. I've tried watching the original trilogy about 5 times and I just end up turning the first movie off every time, it's just so boring. I've given up now and I feel fine saying now that Star Wars is not only overrated, but is also rubbish.Agreed. While I liked the films, particularly the original trilogy, these films aren't particularly well-written, deep, or amazing.

Peegee
10-02-2011, 05:37 PM
I have a 5-10 minute rule. if I cannot get involved in a narrative within 10 minutes at the most (sometimes as little as 5 minutes) I quit trying.

Consequently 99.999% of mangas, anime, most of the earlier STANLEY KUBRICK films (I have only watched eyes wide shut, full metal jacket, and after a lot of attempts, clockwork orange). I refuse to watch the shining (it is boring), 2001 a space odyssey (wtf is it even about? I managed to get to the opening meeting scene), won't even attempt the rest. Kubrick started 'A.I' but I don't consider that one of his films. However i am not sure how much Kubrick actually worked on that film - apparently Spielberg just wrote a screenplay adopting the Pinocchio theme. At least with Kubrick I can be glad that there's no aliens at the end. Oh wait those are robobots. Yeah right.

Levian
10-02-2011, 08:14 PM
I don't get what's scary about: Zombies, vampires, small asian girls with long black hair partially covering their otherwise pale face, aliens, possessed people, werewolves, ghosts and psychic kids.

But I love horror movies.

I don't get some obligatory car chase scenes or fighting scenes. If I didn't think people enjoyed them I would guess they only still exist to further employ people who started working with these things in the 80's.

But I guess the main point of this thread is to mention specific movies, I guess I'd have to say Pulp Fiction and The Matrix. I just think they're pretentious mainly, but I'm well aware I'm in a minority here. ;)

Pike
10-02-2011, 10:28 PM
The Lord of the Rings: Not saying it's bad; it's a good series and I do like the movies, but I don't get the gigantic obsession.

Horror movies in general: There are of course some exceptions but not many.

Batman, in general: Most overrated superhero ever. To be fair, I might be somewhat biased by personal reasons I won't go into at the moment

Come at me bros.

Madame Adequate
10-02-2011, 10:49 PM
The Lord of the Rings: Not saying it's bad; it's a good series and I do like the movies, but I don't get the gigantic obsession.

ITT Steph tries to set a world record for posting while as high as is physically possible.

Pike
10-02-2011, 11:07 PM

ITT Steph tries to set a world record for posting while as high as is physically possible.

Hey, it's perfectly sane to think there's a difference between enjoying the trilogy and naming your kid Legolas.

Especially because Gimli would be a superior name

Raistlin
10-02-2011, 11:23 PM

Agreed completely, and I think most of it is just fandom continuing from the books, which are also overrated. Tolkien basically invented the fantasy genre with LotR, but judged on their own merits, the books are poorly developed and outright boring at times. I think the movies, except for the first one, are actually more entertaining.

That being said, your heretical view of Batman basically voids anything you have to say, ever.

Cuchulainn
10-03-2011, 01:44 AM
Raistlin displaying yet more reasons why the almighty seen fit to put his penis just above his eyes.

LOTR books are simply amazing reads. Tolkein basically created not only a story but a world, several languages for that world, and in his world created a history. The way the books are written is it's charm. I always find it's the regimented type of person that don't like his books. Those of free thought lap that shit up.

I'm pretty open to many things but I just don't get a LOT of American 'humour'. Two & A Half Men, King of Queens, that type. It has the humour & subtly of an American College student....ohhhh I see what they're up to there.

Seriously, if braindead humour was my thing I'd repeadedly smash my head off a 'Watch Your Head' sign. English commedy is head & shoulders above anything I've ever seen. Always has been.

What else....Oh Yea. Japanese fucking comics. Manga shit and all those fucking anime cartoons. What a lot of BALLS they are.

NorthernChaosGod
10-03-2011, 02:04 AM
Batman, in general: Most overrated superhero ever. To be fair, I might be somewhat biased by personal reasons I won't go into at the moment
You're objectively wrong; that's Superman.

Del Murder
10-03-2011, 04:23 AM
Napoleon Dynamite: I am not sure what anyone ever found funny about this movie.

Pike
10-03-2011, 06:10 AM
You're objectively wrong; that's Superman.

Don't let MILF catch you talking bad about Supes.

Jiro
10-03-2011, 06:47 AM
Everybody's all like "oh titanic" and I'm like "a boat sinks, who cares?"

sharkythesharkdogg
10-03-2011, 01:53 PM
Supes is a story killer. He's too perfect. The Bat is pretty awesome, but his "gritty, dark realism" can become a little contrived if not presented correctly. Still Batman is a much more compelling character the reader can relate to. Part of that is that he has better villains. I love the idea of Supes but the difference is I used to read both comics as a kid. Now I'll still occasionally pick up a Batman comic.

I'll never get movies like Blair Witch Project, or Paranormal Activity.

Give me a good zombie movie, something like Halloween, or even a movie that uses the fear of the unknown well. Those first two movies just don't work.

Pike
10-03-2011, 03:51 PM
Batman's okay, I just don't see why everyone prefers him over Spidey, Iron Man, the X-Men, etc.

Anyways...!

I have still never seen that movie.

Araciel
10-03-2011, 06:02 PM
Episodes 4-6 of Star Wars are good on their own unless you're soulless and can't associate with the characters. - Add nostalgia to it and it's amazing

LOTR is amazing because of the genre-genesis behind the books, but I agree - the books are textbooks with nothing real in them. The movies were a pretty big accomplishment, and aside from the eye rolls that Legolas' feats induced in me, I don't fault them.

But even in a movie I consider awesome, I hate chase scenes - they seem utterly pointless and just don't excite me.

sharkythesharkdogg
10-03-2011, 06:18 PM
Batman's okay, I just don't see why everyone prefers him over Spidey, Iron Man, the X-Men, etc.

Anyways...!

I have still never seen that movie.

Spidey is my favorite, and we should have a movie night where we continue to have never seen Titanic. I'm also in that proud club.

Raistlin
10-03-2011, 06:19 PM

Spider-Man is a great hero, and my favorite growing up; unfortunately the movies have done him a great disservice. The X-Men are also great. Batman has a (potentially) darker story, and also is somewhat unique in lacking any special powers. Batman's biggest problem is that so many of his portrayals are ridiculously campy... and terrible (see: Batman & Robin). And Batman, Spider-Man, and X-Men are all better than Iron Man (which is, in turn, way better than Superman).

EDIT: I'll save everyone the trouble. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuSdU8tbcHY)

Madame Adequate
10-03-2011, 06:26 PM
Supes is a hard character to write well, for the exact reasons Sharky points out, but when he's done right (e.g. Red Son, For The Man Who Has Everything, Whatever Happened To The Man Of Tomorrow?, All-Star Superman, etc.) then he's pretty much the best superhero going.

Del Murder
10-03-2011, 07:33 PM
The best Superman moments are when he interacts with Batman. They are so complete opposites that it is enjoyable to read. Superman is hard to write day-to-day stories for but when it comes to big things he is the best simply because he is so iconic. He is more than just a (super)man, he represents all superheroes. Imagine the type of stories you can create when you are not writing about a man, you are writing about a symbol. There's some good stuff in there.

I will always think Spider-Man is the best hero because he is one of the few iconic heroes who started out as just a regular nerdy kid, much like most of his readers, and actually continues to have regular kid problems after he gets his powers. His origin story is also pretty genius.

I like how this turned into a superhero debate thread.

Pike
10-03-2011, 08:14 PM
The best Superman moments are when he interacts with Batman. They are so complete opposites that it is enjoyable to read. Superman is hard to write day-to-day stories for but when it comes to big things he is the best simply because he is so iconic. He is more than just a (super)man, he represents all superheroes. Imagine the type of stories you can create when you are not writing about a man, you are writing about a symbol. There's some good stuff in there.

I will always think Spider-Man is the best hero because he is one of the few iconic heroes who started out as just a regular nerdy kid, much like most of his readers, and actually continues to have regular kid problems after he gets his powers. His origin story is also pretty genius.

I like how this turned into a superhero debate thread.

I agree with pretty much this entire post.

Also, I've decided to make a superhero thread so we can continue the debate: >>http://forums.eyesonff.com/lounge/138783-my-superhero-can-beat-up-your-superhero.html

Old Manus
10-03-2011, 08:53 PM
I never saw what was so great about the 'Tears in Rain' speech at the end of Blade Runner. It felt like a bit of an anticlimax when he just sort of keeled over at the end of it.

sharkythesharkdogg
10-03-2011, 09:11 PM
I never saw what was so great about the 'Tears in Rain' speech at the end of Blade Runner. It felt like a bit of an anticlimax when he just sort of keeled over at the end of it.

I love Blade Runner, but it's one of those movies you like or you don't.

I re-watched Mad Max not too long ago, and the whole movie felt anti-climatic. :(
I ruined my nostalgia with reality, and now I'm afraid to watch the other two.

Shiny
10-03-2011, 10:40 PM
I don't like Star Wars movies either, but I respect what they have brought really amazing visual effects and originality to film. I hardly think they are overrated, just not of everyone's taste.

With that said, I agree with Del. I didn't get the appeal of Napoleon Dynamite. I found it boring and most of the people in my high school that quoted it incessantly were as annoying and rude as him. I also didn't get the appeal of Batman Begins. I thought it sucked to be quite frank. The Dark Night was obviously much better.

PG: A.I. is Kubrick's film up until the end when Spielberg ruined it by adding an extended ending with aliens because he feels the need to add aliens to every smurfing thing. The REAL ending, Kubrick's ending, is just before that bit when he's floating in the abyss.

NorthernChaosGod
10-03-2011, 11:33 PM
Napoleon Dynamite: I am not sure what anyone ever found funny about this movie.
That movie is just so bad.

I'll never get movies like Blair Witch Project, or Paranormal Activity.

Give me a good zombie movie, something like Halloween, or even a movie that uses the fear of the unknown well. Those first two movies just don't work.
Oh Odin, me too. I don't see why people go nuts over that shit. It's all the same crap. :colbert:

Crop
10-03-2011, 11:40 PM
Oh yeah, another would have to be E.T. I found the whole film to be incredibly boring. After watching it and hearing everyone loved it I was confused and had to go back and watch it again, but no, I couldn't even sit through the whole thing. Overrated.

Del Murder
10-03-2011, 11:55 PM
Yeah, ET was pretty boring to watch as an adult. I don't remember if I liked it as a kid but I don't think I did. I think I was scared of ET.

Pike
10-04-2011, 01:09 AM
I thought Napoleon Dynamite was okay. I mean, I didn't get the massive hype, but I got a few chuckles out of it.

E.T. I didn't like very much as a little kid, but I thought it was okay when I watched it as a teenager.

Kokichi
10-04-2011, 01:14 AM
Why is Superbad so hyped?

It's not that hype, honestly.

Oh, and the Blair Witch Project was so awesome because back when it was made, the movie was 100% true under the assumption of the viewers.

Not many American movies were like it at the time, so it got big. Now when we re-use the same formula, it falls short because it's old and tired.

NorthernChaosGod
10-04-2011, 01:44 AM
Why is Superbad so hyped?
Because it was funny. :confused:

Fix'd yer smiley brah - J

Madame Adequate
10-20-2011, 12:42 AM
In all the excitement about Supes I got distracted from the main thrust of this thread, which is to defend The Lord of the Rings as one of the most truly epic pieces of anything ever. In 5000AD they will say "Six thousand years ago was The Epic of Gilgamesh. Three thousand years ago was The Lord of the Rings." No I am not going to stand by and take this from Steph OR Wesley, the books are the height of the art. It isn't just the ur-example of what high fantasy should be, it is pretty close to the ur-example for all epics. The only people who have done it better are Apollonius Rhodius, Homer, et al. The sheer scope of detail, the depth of the whole thing, the impossible scale of it. I like world-building, I do it whenever I write to an obsessive, even counterproductive degree, and I cannot begin to fathom coming close to Tolkein's work. The writing itself isn't the snappiest ever put to paper, granted, but it's a very long way from bad. As far as the Shire from Mt. Doom, in fact :shobon:

Also the movies are yeah the same thing but for movies. Peter Jackson made the most epic of epics ever made and if you don't consider the consecutive releases of each one to be defining events around Christmas in your youth you are just... poo.

PS: Darling, we're naming the child Þorinn Eikinskjaldi if it's a boy and Éowyn if a girl.

Pike
10-20-2011, 12:55 AM
and if you don't consider the consecutive releases of each one to be defining events around Christmas in your youth you are just... poo.

They remind me of college, not my youth. That and the Matrix trilogy are what defined college for me. xD (Well, the second two Matrix movies, anyway. The first happened when I was still in high school.)

P.S. I haven't read the LotR trilogy. But I liked the Hobbit.

NorthernChaosGod
10-20-2011, 02:19 AM
P.S. I haven't read the LotR trilogy.
Blasphemy!

Jiro
10-20-2011, 02:41 AM
I'm going to have to temp ban her until she has read them guys.

MILF has posted the truest truth ever seen on this forum.

Pike
10-20-2011, 03:07 AM
I'm going to have to temp ban her until she has read them guys.

:whimper: Don't say that because MILF is going to think it's hilarious and won't shut up until you actually do it

And then I'll never see you guys again because I am a slow reader :(

NorthernChaosGod
10-20-2011, 03:59 AM
:( Now I feel bad. Even if I think you have to read them. :colbert:

DMKA
10-20-2011, 04:30 AM
Superbad, The 40 Year Old Virgin, Knocked Up, and all the other comedies by that group of Jewish dudes just do nothing for me, but everyone I know worships those movies as the best comedies every produced.

The entire Star Trek universe bores me, but I loved the new J.J. Abrams film, which makes me part of the problem, I've been told.

The Star Wars films are good but I just don't see why people obsess over them. They aren't that good.

Anchorman.
And this. I just don't find the movie funny at all but everyone else I know thinks it's pure comic gold.

Freya
10-20-2011, 06:28 AM
The LOTR books are boring as hell. And I am always reading. I have several bookcases in my room that are full. And those books were just... boring to me. I like the movies but the books ugh. Did you know that he never used any words like "commented,"" or "Whispered" when writign dialogue. He only ever used "said". That bores me. he said, she said, they said etc boringggg

The Hangover. I didn't find it as funny as everyone made it out to be. It had some good chuckles here and there but I wasn't laughing constantly like everyone hyped it to be.

erikramza
10-20-2011, 08:55 AM
Lord of the Rings suxx.

Nah. Its ok. I think MILF might have confused it for something that deserves such praise...

If you don't like Star Wars, Star Wars doesn't like you; which is a big deal. Matter of fact, Star Wars > LotR.

Back to the topic...ANYTHING Micheal Bay blows donkey turds. The Watchmen adaptation was garbage. And The Dark Knight IS good... But not nearly as much so as everyone says (Jack did a better Joker in the original Michael Kieton(sp?) Batman film).

The biggest sin EVER, in the history of all film... is the King Kong remake. 2 and a half hours of a combination of "what the fuck?" and "are you fucking kidding me?". It takes a lot for me to walk out on a movie (I saw the entirety of Ghosts of Mars, AND ENJOYED IT), but the garbage that is King Kong was just the right combination of suck for me to not be able to finish. I tried REALLY HARD to finish, and enjoy it on several recommendations promising me a stellar movie experience... Lying fucks.

NorthernChaosGod
10-20-2011, 07:13 PM
The LOTR books are boring as hell. And I am always reading. I have several bookcases in my room that are full. And those books were just... boring to me. I like the movies but the books ugh. Did you know that he never used any words like "commented,"" or "Whispered" when writign dialogue. He only ever used "said". That bores me. he said, she said, they said etc boringggg

The Hangover. I didn't find it as funny as everyone made it out to be. It had some good chuckles here and there but I wasn't laughing constantly like everyone hyped it to be.
>creates entire world
>doesn't like use of "said"
> :|

Psychotic
10-20-2011, 07:43 PM
I never saw what was so great about the 'Tears in Rain' speech at the end of Blade Runner. It felt like a bit of an anticlimax when he just sort of keeled over at the end of it.Was coming here to post this. I've seen jarjaflubes splunching on my mum's soapy belly. I've watched mongolians vomit on a sofa made of purest jade. None of what he is smurfing saying makes any sense. Look, it's cool sounding and all but it's totally smurfing irrelevant. It's gibberish. I fell asleep halfway through Blade Runner.

Also, LotR, as a piece of literature, is not good from a technical standpoint. From a plot standpoint it is second to none. The end. ...I'd like someone to rewrite it though. That'd be interesting. They'd be fucking hated by everyone for it, but it'd be interesting. The movies were fantastic although there are some bits (Gimli being the comedy bumbling sidekick for one) that made me cringe a little.

Also also, Napoleon Dynamite had one (1) good line ("your mom goes to college") and the rest was just "hey look, isn't being socially awkward funny?"

Madame Adequate
10-20-2011, 08:19 PM
You are worse than Steve.

(For the Blade Runner thing that is.)

Shiny
10-21-2011, 05:19 PM
I tried watching the Lord of the Rings movies, I really did, but I fell asleep each time I tried. They were too long, which is something that should never be done for films. Okay James Cameron and all the Harry Potter directors? The films had redeeming qualities -- though all I can say from a standpoint of someone who has never read the books, is that they were pretty in regards to location, cinematography, and visual effects.

Vincent, Thunder God
10-21-2011, 05:32 PM
I must say I don't follow some of Charlie Kaufman's films, especially Synecdoche, New York - I had trouble understanding the point of that film. Also the last quarter or so of Adaptation was a really bizarre shift in tone, though I think we're supposed to believe that Kaufman's imaginary twin brother wrote the ending (because he's also becoming a screenwriter and follows the Hollywood formula, unlike Charlie).

I didn't get the ending of 2001 A Space Odyssey either, and found it really boring. I tried watching David Lynch's first film Eraserhead and gave up on it (so slow!). And some of the elements of Twin Peaks (the show and film) were challenging, but I think I developed my own interpretation that made sense, and I actually really enjoyed the show, though the ending was quite disconcerting.

MJN SEIFER
10-22-2011, 06:03 AM
I love children's movies (when they're done right), enjoy this movie, and have no shame in getting emotionally involved in sad scenes from any movie (not just children's), but I just don't get what the big deal was about Mustaffa's death in The Lion King. Everyone talks like he was the first Disney character to die, which is debatable. Also everyones so damn confused about how he died, his death just annoys me now. Also, it's nowhere near as emotional as people say (and I still cry over sad scenes in my childhood movies when I watch them even now), seriously! Simba's basic reaction was "Damn, my dad's dead... dude that sucks.:mad:"

Jiro
10-22-2011, 11:51 AM
I'd say Simba's reaction was about on par with Luke Skywalker's. Considering they're brothers and all.

Old Manus
10-24-2011, 09:40 AM
Seeing as we're spoiler tagging films that everybody on the planet saw decades ago: The Titanic sinks in the end

MJN SEIFER
10-24-2011, 11:44 AM
Seeing as we're spoiler tagging films that everybody on the planet saw decades ago: The Titanic sinks in the end

Very funny. There's still people who haven't seen old movies.

Loony BoB
10-24-2011, 01:07 PM
Okay, they aren't movies, but Quentin Tarantino is without doubt the most overrated director of all time and Will Ferrell makes terrible movies with terrible humour. Will is worse than Quentin, mind you. Quentin at least has a couple of good movies, but they are certainly overrated all the same. Every movie he makes is labelled as a 'must see' and often they are rated amongst the best of all time, when really, they're never as good as people make them out to be. Even Pulp Fiction, while a great movie, is not a top ten movie of all time, which apparently many see it as.

I have never completely enjoyed a movie in which Will has the starring role. His movies, for me, are movies for idiots to watch and giggle at, possibly while high.

I Don't Need A Name
10-24-2011, 05:42 PM
Will Ferrell is just completely unfunny, Will Smith is a terrible actor and Fresh Prince was never funny. The Hangover is a terrible film and FRIENDS is the worst TV series ever devised. The Shining is a godawful film. Not even joking

Pike
10-24-2011, 06:20 PM

Very funny. There's still people who haven't seen old movies.

Charles Foster Kane, an enormously wealthy media proprietor, has been living alone in Florida in his vast palatial estate Xanadu for the last years of his life, with a "No trespassing" sign on the gate. He dies in a bed while holding a snow globe and utters "Rosebud..."; the globe slips from his dying hand and smashes. Kane's death then becomes sensational news around the world. Newsreel reporter Jerry Thompson tries to find out about Kane's private life and, in particular, to discover the meaning behind his last word. The reporter interviews the great man's friends and associates, and Kane's story unfolds as a series of flashbacks. Thompson approaches Kane's second wife, Susan Alexander, now an alcoholic who runs her own club, but she refuses to tell him anything. Thompson then goes to the private archive of Walter Parks Thatcher, a deceased banker who served as Kane's guardian during his childhood and adolescence. It is through Thatcher's written memoirs that Thompson learns about Kane's childhood. Thompson then interviews Kane's personal business manager Mr. Bernstein, best friend Jedediah Leland, Susan for a second time, and Kane's butler Raymond at Xanadu.

Flashbacks reveal that Kane's childhood was spent in poverty in Colorado (his parents ran a boarding house), until the "world's third largest gold mine" was discovered on the seemingly worthless property his mother had acquired. He is forced to leave his mother when she sends him away to the East Coast of the U.S. to live with Thatcher, to be educated. After gaining full control over his possessions at the age of 25, Kane enters the newspaper business with sensationalized yellow journalism. He takes control of the newspaper, the New York Inquirer, and hires all the best journalists. His attempted rise to power is documented, including his manipulation of public opinion for the Spanish American War; his first marriage to Emily Monroe Norton, a President's niece; and his campaign for the office of governor of New York State, for which alternative newspaper headlines are created depending on the result.

Kane's marriage disintegrates over the years, and he begins an affair with Susan Alexander. Both his wife and his opponent discover the affair, simultaneously ending his marriage and his political career. Kane marries his mistress, and forces her into an operatic career for which she has no talent or ambition. Kane finally allows her to abandon her singing career after she attempts suicide, but after a span of time spent in boredom and isolation in Xanadu, she ultimately leaves him.

Kane spends his last years building his vast estate and lives alone, interacting only with his staff. The butler recounts that Kane had said "Rosebud" after Susan left him, right after seeing a snow globe.

At Xanadu, Kane's vast number of belongings are being cataloged, ranging from priceless works of art to worthless furniture. During this time, Thompson finds that he is unable to solve the mystery and concludes that "Rosebud" will forever remain an enigma. He theorizes that "Mr. Kane was a man who got everything he wanted, and then lost it. Maybe Rosebud was something he couldn't get, or something he lost." In the ending of the film, it is revealed to the audience that Rosebud was the name of the sled from Kane's childhood – an allusion to the only time in his life when he was truly happy. The sled, thought to be junk, is burned and destroyed in a basement furnace by Xanadu's departing staff.

Phew, definitely didn't want to ruin that one for you guys! :monster: Gotta admit I don't quite get Citizen Kane on a personal level, although I certainly understand why it was important and I have a lot of respect for it.

NorthernChaosGod
10-24-2011, 10:01 PM
Will Ferrell is just completely unfunny, Will Smith is a terrible actor and Fresh Prince was never funny. The Hangover is a terrible film and FRIENDS is the worst TV series ever devised. The Shining is a godawful film. Not even joking
I can't even... what is this... hmph. :colbert:

Shiny
10-24-2011, 11:53 PM
Have you seen every episode of Fresh Prince of Bel-Air because it definitely was.

Del Murder
10-25-2011, 02:19 AM
Show me someone who doesn't like Fresh Prince and I'll show you a racist.

NeoCracker
10-25-2011, 02:34 AM
I will never take away from Tolkien the shear scope of the world he has created and the immense details and Mythos of his worlds.

What I will take from him is his writing itself is boring as piss, and has an inability to create a good atmosphere in the entirety of his Lord of the Rings Trilogy, something that a person like H.P. Lovecraft can do in even his bad short stories. (Of course he only has a couple that are bad, and it may be unfair of me to compare anyone's ability to create an atmosphere like Lovecraft can. :p)

Edit: And I'll agree that on a whole Quinten is overrated, but when he makes a good movie, damn is it good. Inglorious Bastards was freaking amazing.

TrollHunter
10-25-2011, 02:57 AM

I... I... oh my god...

Boney King
10-25-2011, 05:02 AM
Although I do like it, I still don't fully understand Antichrist. Is it just Lars von Trier's misogyny put to celluloid, or is it a movie about that misogyny?

Loony BoB
10-25-2011, 12:38 PM
Pro tip for using spoiler tags: Explain what the spoiler is to do with before you put in the spoiler tag. You can also customise spoiler tags so that people can easily know what it's to do with. For example...

[</>spoiler="FFVII spoiler"]tifa has giant boobs[/spoiler]

turns into

tifa has giant boobs

This message brought to you by the number VII and letters V, I and I.

I Don't Need A Name
10-25-2011, 03:49 PM

I... I... oh my god...

I love how well that works with your sig...

And you can see that I seem to but heads with almost everyone around me on preferences. I forgot to add my unbridled hate for Simpsons, American Dad, Family Guy, South Park and the like, too..

Raistlin
10-25-2011, 05:49 PM
Hating Family Guy and American Dad is understandable, as those are horrendously unfunny, but it is not possible to hate the old Simpsons without hating childhood or South Park without hating life, beauty, and Cheesy Poofs.

NeoCracker
10-25-2011, 06:23 PM
Family guy and American dad are terrible, Simpsons were always hit and miss with me, and south park has stretches of awesome, though mostly range from amusing to very good with the occasional episode of dumb.

MJN SEIFER
10-25-2011, 07:04 PM
I hate American Dad, and am dissapointed in most later Simpsons. Family Guy I don't mind, South Park I always give a chance.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
10-25-2011, 07:54 PM
LOTR books are simply amazing reads. Tolkein basically created not only a story but a world, several languages for that world, and in his world created a history. The way the books are written is it's charm. I always find it's the regimented type of person that don't like his books. Those of free thought lap that tit up.

I've got some interesting LotR trivia for y'all, that you probably didn't know. Check out this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbMh742lsck) and listen from 6:09 to 8:13.

What else....Oh Yea. Japanese smurfing comics. Manga tit and all those smurfing anime cartoons. What a lot of BALLS they are.

u jelly?

Peegee
10-25-2011, 09:46 PM
and if you don't consider the consecutive releases of each one to be defining events around Christmas in your youth you are just... poo.

They remind me of college, not my youth. That and the Matrix trilogy are what defined college for me. xD (Well, the second two Matrix movies, anyway. The first happened when I was still in high school.)

P.S. I haven't read the LotR trilogy. But I liked the Hobbit.

me either! *hi 5*

I tried to read TTT and got to about chapter 6. By that time Aragorn and co had moved about 15 feet forward and was scavenging orc corpses for arrows. Six chapters. I gave up.

TrollHunter
10-25-2011, 09:54 PM

I... I... oh my god...

I love how well that works with your sig...

And you can see that I seem to but heads with almost everyone around me on preferences. I forgot to add my unbridled hate for Simpsons, American Dad, Family Guy, South Park and the like, too..

Wow it really does. I'm loving this sig more and more every day.

I can easily agree with you on american dad and family guy, I watched the latter for a while but got bored with it and never turned back. I've never enjoyed american dad, but I still love southpark and the simpsons.
Never watch any of them now though because I'm never watching t.v.

Pike
10-25-2011, 11:42 PM
I thought Family Guy had its moments. I know I'm the only person in the world who thinks so, but hey, you can't win 'em all, I guess.

TrollHunter
10-26-2011, 12:22 AM
Oh it had its moments, but overall I just found it boring.

Del Murder
10-26-2011, 05:51 PM
I thought Family Guy had its moments. I know I'm the only person in the world who thinks so, but hey, you can't win 'em all, I guess.
Nah, I agree with that. The Star Wars episodes, for example. American Dad, however, is utterly horrible.

Pike
10-26-2011, 07:15 PM
I've never actually seen American Dad. It basically looked to me like Family Guy but with (slightly) different characters, so I never bothered watching it.

TrollHunter
10-28-2011, 10:06 PM
Just watched Unbreakable with Bruce Willis in my Film as Literature class. My god that movie was terrible.
Only one character had any depth, the plot was predictable, the pacing was awful, and the writing was "eh". Most importantly though, it was BORING! Dear lord I've never seen a movie move so slowly, it actually moved so slowly the ending ended up being absolutely terrible and anticlimactic.
Now, I usually don't critique movies, I'm VERY laid back when I watch movies. If they entertained me... I say it was a good movie. This one didn't entertain me in any way, the only way I found entertainment was by critiquing the movie and even then that didn't help much.

Shiny
10-31-2011, 09:08 AM
The whole "royale with cheese" thing in Pulp Fiction. I never got why that was so funny. I mean, I know it's ridiculous and probably something random two people would talk about casually, but still.

sharkythesharkdogg
10-31-2011, 05:50 PM
I honestly enjoyed the majority of the first two seasons of Family Guy. The ones before they were cancelled. It had silly non sequiturs, but they were spread out further and more of the jokes seemed to be plot based.

There's been a few episodes here and there from the new seasons that were good, but for the most part it's no longer fresh and they've run the formula into the ground. The obscure reference bit has been flogged into a coma.

Am I the only one that thinks Futurama is the one to rule them all? I love that show.

I pretty much don't get Rocky Horror Picture Show. I know everyone loves it, but I just sit there completely not identifying with any of the characters.

TrollHunter
10-31-2011, 10:08 PM
Not too much of a fan of rocky horror either, and I'm not a fan of the costumes they put on the dudes for that movie -mental scars-
I haven't watched futurama in a while (lack of cable and care) but I loved it to death when I was still able to watch it.

GhandiOwnsYou
11-07-2011, 02:22 AM
Rocky Horror is one of those things you have to jump into the fandom to get. The movie/play itself is good enough, but the midnight movie crowd is what makes it.

Iceglow
11-07-2011, 03:41 PM
I've got some interesting LotR trivia for y'all, that you probably didn't know. Check out this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbMh742lsck) and listen from 6:09 to 8:13.

That was actually interesting. It's true too which is why Tolkein is brilliant. If you're going to break the rules, do it brilliantly or don't do it at all.

I don't get a lot of Stephen King books, I just can't read his works. Though I have sat through several movies of his books and enjoyed them. There's something about his books though what bored the absolute hell out of me.

As for films, tv shows etc I just don't get. Aside from the obvious X-factor crap I really just didn't get why everyone was practically orgasmic about The Wire. I sat down, tried to watch the first series, got bored. Tried again at the insistence of my friends, got bored again. It just never gripped my attention enough.