PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy VI: First playthrough!

Bubba
10-03-2011, 08:38 AM
OK, after EOFF recommendations, I am finally playing through FFVI after acquiring a second-hand Game Boy Advance and copy of the game (I was assured that if I haven't played the original then this would be the best option).

I'm lucky enough to know very little about the story so I'm looking forward to it greatly. Does anyone have any good general tips that will help me when I start?

I don't like using guides particularly as it ruins the storyline but if anyone has hints, tips (essential items that are easily missed!) then i would really appreciate it.

I begin my quest tonight!

Wolf Kanno
10-03-2011, 09:26 AM
Always check clocks, they almost always contain elixirs. I would also recommend that while its good to build the party you like, make sure you don't neglect the others, this will really help you in the second half of the game. Don't spend too much time worrying about levels unless the game is being difficult. Other than that sit back and enjoy. As you update your progression I'm sure other EoFF members will share hints. ;)

Otherwise I hope you enjoy. :ffvisad: :ffvipatpat: :ffviwag: :ffvilaugh: :ffvishock: :ffviscorn: :ffvistrut: :ffvising: :ffvisexy: :mogumogu: :ffvisleepy: :ffvitrouble: :ffviwhat: :bou: :ultros:

Spooniest
10-03-2011, 01:57 PM
When you get to the first town, South Figaro, you might consider getting your party up to about Level 15. This will ensure that the next character you acquire will possess a mult-target, fire-elemental attack, which will be helpful against enemy groups for quite a while. Assuming you're dexterious enough to execute it, that is. :D

Once you've got that initial bit of grinding out of the way, try not to grind too much if you can help it. The game introduces a stat-boosting system after you've finished the first fifth or so, and any levels you gain prior to that will be "empty levels," as you will be unable to boost stats with them.

Have fun!

Jiro
10-03-2011, 04:26 PM
If you get an Auto-Crossbow from Figaro Castle store, then Edgar will be insanely useful for a long period of time. I love Edgar so this was a no brainer, but do pick your parties based on who you like/find most useful!

Good luck and have fun! Be sure to share your experiences with us :D

Spooniest
10-03-2011, 04:58 PM
If you get an Auto-Crossbow from Figaro Castle store,

I'm afraid you're mistaken, sir. You get an Auto-Crossbow added to your inventory for free after naming Edgar. Bit of a small detail that's easily missed, of course.

Anyway, don't waste money!

doeboyfresh14
10-03-2011, 11:35 PM
Just sit back and enjoy the ride. This is by far the best FF of them all. I don't care what anyone says. This is the game that got me hooked on video games in the first place and i haven't looked back since.

Save early and save often is my best advice. and also Steal can be huge for you in the beginng when you have no money for potions/weapons. i try to steal from everyone....er I mean TREASURE HUNT! :jess:

Depression Moon
10-04-2011, 12:10 AM
Towards the end of the game, money isn't that important though so I say experiment.

Jiro
10-04-2011, 04:27 AM
If you get an Auto-Crossbow from Figaro Castle store, I'm afraid you're mistaken, sir. You get an Auto-Crossbow added to your inventory for free after naming Edgar. Bit of a small detail that's easily missed, of course. Anyway, don't waste money! So that's where it came from. I saw that I had two Auto-Crossbows once, and assumed I had found it in a treasure chest. But then I could never find that chest. Mystery solved!

Bubba
10-04-2011, 08:32 AM
Brilliant guys. Thanks for all the tips. Loving the game! Edgar and Locke are class!

Edgar is currently annihilating all comers with the sweet Auto-Crossbow. I think I may have kleptomaniacal tendencies because I agree with doeboyfresh14... and am currently "treasure-hunting" my ass off. I think I've got around 90+ potions after levelling up in Figaro Cave.

Anyway, here's my update...

Progress

Gil: 49960

Edgar
LV: 16
HP: 448

Locke
LV: 15
HP: 397

Terra
LV: 15
HP: 389

Jiro
10-04-2011, 09:17 AM
That is a lot of gil xD It doesn't look like you're going to have too much trouble if you keep levelling like that either!

blackmage_nuke
10-04-2011, 10:56 AM
If you train Sabin to use Fire Dance (rising phoenix in the gba version) early on and can pull it off every time he becomes just as useful as edgar.

I Don't Need A Name
10-04-2011, 02:50 PM
When you get to Zozo (maybe a while off yet, but still) make sure you solve the clock puzzle. That way you can get Edgars Chainsaw, which is easily his best Tool

Spooniest
10-05-2011, 12:18 AM
When you get to Zozo (maybe a while off yet, but still) make sure you solve the clock puzzle. That way you can get Edgars Chainsaw, which is easily his best Tool

I dunno...sometimes he'll go for the one-shot when it's not possible to pull off. I say, if you're up against a boss, go for the Drill, and the Flash is useful against large groups, especially if you equip Edgar with an Earring or a Hero Ring, as the Flash's damage is calculated based on his magic power.

Bubba
10-05-2011, 09:00 AM
OK. I'll freely admit I've been having trouble using Sabin's Blitz attacks. After looking at the combo's I thought they'd be relatively easy to pull off (after my extensive Street Fighter 2 training in the 90's).

I quickly realized that I actually have the hand co-ordination of a ten-year-old retarded child, with no arms, trying to play the guitar...

I was finally getting the hang of them late last night though after managing Sabin's Rising Phoenix (which is awesome, by the way... Yoga Flame, anybody?) a few times on the trot.

Anyway, update... we've agreed to join the returners and gone down that river and got to the split scenario bit with the moogle. I did Terra and Edgar's bit easily but then struggled on Locke's scenario... I foolishly didn't check their equipment (didn't realise they had NOTHING equipped) and sped through it only to get battered from that Tunnel Armour thing. I got through it next time though.

I'm now just about to start the final scenario with Sabin... and hopefully master those damn blitzes...

Thanks again for the tips guys... keep 'em coming!

Spooniest
10-05-2011, 10:46 AM
Remember that it doesn't matter how fast you do the Blitz, and the game will stop while the cursor is pointing to Sabin, no matter what. Favor smoothness over speed when performing the Blitzes, and remember that the "rear-facing" rule that is in Street Fighter 2 does not apply here; i.e., Rising Phoenix is always "half circle left to right" whether Sabin is facing left, or facing right. It doesn't change.

doeboyfresh14
10-05-2011, 06:39 PM
an even better thing to know about sabin's blitzes, you don't have to use the directional. for example. fire dance can be left, left, down, down right. you don't have to the diagonal, you can replace it with the previous directional.

Correct if i'm wrong or better explain it if needed.

Spooniest
10-05-2011, 09:52 PM
I don't believe I am able to address the correctness/incorrectness of the statement...it isn't clearly written enough.

But suffice it to say, you'll get the hang of it, or you'll equip Sabin with the Genji Glove/Gigas Glove combo and trick him out with the latest claws, and Attack. There. Easy damage, lots of HP.

Edit: By the way, you should probably buy a pair of Poison Claws sooner rather than later...

APolaris
10-06-2011, 09:27 PM
If you plan to level all the way to 99 for some reason, then *do not* level up a lot near the beginning. This is because later in the game, there are ways to raise your stats (fairly significantly over time) that do not increase naturally with levels. You can gain +2 to Vigor, Stamina, or Magic or +1 to speed with each level you gain. Levels naturally provide no increase in any of these, meaning the levels have less of a long term effect. I wouldn't restart, as it's not that significant a difference at your point.

Sabin's blitzes mostly use magic power, not vigor, as his main damage source. Keep this in mind. In fact, I believe the only two to use vigor are two that are never really worth using, Pummel and Suplex. Aurabolt is almost always better and the rest of the attacking blitzes either hit multiple targets or are much stronger (i.e. the final one).

Also, for one of the game's best emotional moments, take Sabin and Edgar together to Figaro Castle at some point.

I just tested the blitz theory and it's true. Down + Down + Left produces Aurabolt.

Don't equip Genji Glove on a character without equipping a 2nd weapon, thinking it will increase defense. A bug causes that to decrease your damage output.

Also, during Sabin's scenario, you will get a few new characters. One has abilities called Leap and Rage. Leap lets you get new Rages. Get Stray Cat and Templar at minimum before leaving (there are more that are fun to mess around with though).

Oh, just thought I'd add a few more bugs: evasion does nothing. Magic evade works in its place. Darkness status also does nothing, thus also resulting in Goggles Do Nothing. The game in general has a number of bugs, none of which really decrease its enjoyment, and most are way too obscure to encounter even in the ~20+ times I've played through FF6 (Psycho Cyan, Wind God Gau, etc.).

Wolf Kanno
10-07-2011, 05:50 AM
Oh, just thought I'd add a few more bugs: evasion does nothing. Magic evade works in its place. Darkness status also does nothing, thus also resulting in Goggles Do Nothing. The game in general has a number of bugs, none of which really decrease its enjoyment, and most are way too obscure to encounter even in the ~20+ times I've played through FF6 (Psycho Cyan, Wind God Gau, etc.).

Actually most of those have been fixed in the GBA version. Evasion works like its suppose to, Darkness still only screws your Blue Mage but doesn't actually affect your Hit%, Vanish/Doom trick has been removed as well. Wind God Gau/Gogo has been removed, and Psycho Cyan is still possible but requires more outrageous circumstances to activate the bug.

Bubba
10-07-2011, 04:12 PM
Update time!

Progress

Gil: 70705

Edgar
LV: 18
HP: 559

Sabin
LV: 20
HP: 780

Celes
LV: 20
HP: 765
MP: 257

Locke
LV: 19
HP: 619

Thanks everyone for your help and advice. This game is class and I'm shocked as to how I've managed to avoid it for seventeen years...

I've tried to avoid leveling up too much as per your suggestions guys. Can someone tell me if I've missed something in that Jidoor place? There wasn't much to do there so I just by-passed it and came here to Zozo (I haven't forgotten about Edgar's Chainsaw cheers 'I don't need a name').

Also, I'm not sure about that 'Gau' kid. (I assume this is the guy that you were talking about 'APolaris'?) I haven't really used him yet to get any rages. Is it worth using him straight away to try and get them?

Oh and I'm sorted with Blitzes now... I can nail Rising Phoenix every time by using left, down, down, down, right. Thanks again 'doeboyfresh14'

Wolf Kanno
10-07-2011, 06:08 PM
Jidoor, is going to be important later after you acquire the airship. That auction house you saw in the town will eventually open up to you and you can get some good items in there, as well as a few good laughs. Also, if you have Shadow in your party, sleep at the inn, sometimes you get to see something special. ;)

Gau is very powerful character but he's also very time consuming to build and requires knowledge on the games enemies (and then some) to properly utilize him. There used to be a bug in the game that made him damn near unstoppable but its been removed. He's fun to play around with but as I said, he's very time consuming to build up cause he has over 200 Rages, and maybe a fifth of that is actually worth your time. His rages give him access to some really powerful enemy skills, some Blue Magic that you probably wouldn't see normally, some high level magic and all before you would probably normally see or acquire them. He also takes on any buffs or characteristics of the monsters, so regular imperial soldiers give him an auto-protect buff, flying enemies give him auto-float, and the undead enemies give him the zombie status.

Spooniest
10-07-2011, 10:06 PM
Jidoor, is going to be important later after you acquire the airship. That auction house you saw in the town will eventually open up to you and you can get some good items in there, as well as a few good laughs. Also, if you have Shadow in your party, sleep at the inn, sometimes you get to see something special. ;)

Minor point of order: The Shadow-related thing can be done anytime you sleep anywhere with Shadow in your party. The game's random number generator decides if you will see it. A cheap inn or a free place to sleep (i.e. Sabin's Cabin) are the easiest places.

You've got quite a bit of money! It's not very advisable, but it does make the game ten times less annoying to STAY STOCKED ON PHOENIX DOWNS NO MATTER WHAT. If you run out of Phoenix Downs, you are in trouble.

I always thought that Gau's "skill-building" side-quest, which takes up the bulk of a completionist-style playthrough, could be likened to the Pokemon craze of the time. Final Fantasy is rather saying "Oh yeah? We can do that too, and our 'catch 'em all' guy is way cooler."

Sabin and Cabin do not rhyme. ;D

APolaris
10-08-2011, 02:48 AM
FF6, as far as I know, existed way, way before Pokemon did. Pokemon began in 1996 and wasn't released in the US until 1998. FF6 was released in 1994. Hell, I still remember when the many predecessors of Pokemon, such as Tomagotchi, Virtual Pets, Digimon, and Nanopets were popular and FF6 was released before any of that even happened.

Spooniest
10-08-2011, 05:59 AM
FF6, as far as I know, existed way, way before Pokemon did. Pokemon began in 1996 and wasn't released in the US until 1998. FF6 was released in 1994. Hell, I still remember when the many predecessors of Pokemon, such as Tomagotchi, Virtual Pets, Digimon, and Nanopets were popular and FF6 was released before any of that even happened.

Bit of a prophetic weirdness there, then, it seems. Who knew?

Wolf Kanno
10-08-2011, 07:10 PM
Pokemon is said to be based off DQ's use of monster companions in DQV which was released in 1992, but the concept of Monster companions and building a party of them actually started with Megami Tensei on the Famicom in the late 80s. So really its just a giant conga line of people borrowing and re-using the idea.

The more you know and knowing is half the battle...G.I. JOE!!!

Spooniest
10-08-2011, 07:59 PM
Hm. Guess that's what I get for never having played Pokemon.

Dude's next update ought to be after the Aria Di Mezzo Caraterre. Wonder what he'll think?

Jiro
10-09-2011, 10:10 AM
I'm impressed by how he's motoring. It makes me want to bust it out for another play! I've got other things to do first though -_-

Bubba
10-10-2011, 01:47 PM
Wow. Just wow. That bit with the opera was amazing. I've honestly not seen something that fresh in years... and this game is 17 years old! Did anybody else write down the whole of Celes' script by hand or was that just me?

I've kind of got the urge to play through that part again but like an absolute tool I saved over my current file when I got to this Albrook place. I suppose it gives me an excuse to replay the game again!

OK, so now everyone can use magic, is it worth leveling up a bit now? I had a bit of trouble in Zozo and had to use a few Phoenix Downs due to some of the enemies there. I might level up a little bit and maybe use a few other characters.

I know I'm supposed to head for Vector but having a bit of a scout around this new continent at the minute. I took the long trip to this Maranda town and spent a truck-load of gil on new gear. Is it worth looking into the rest of the locations before I carry on? I don't want to miss any decent items!

Progress

Gil: 22755

Edgar
LV: 21
HP: 752
MP: 295

Sabin
LV: 22
HP: 933
MP: 275

Celes
LV: 22
HP: 918
MP: 287

Locke
LV: 21
HP: 757
MP: 264

Jiro
10-10-2011, 03:12 PM
I know Zozo kicked my ass as well, despite being reasonably strong. I think the enemies there are just meant to scare you. It is definitely worth getting some spells learned across your main party though, particularly the healing ones. It'll save you money on healing items and come in handy!

I wrote down the script too :)

Spooniest
10-10-2011, 05:46 PM
I did it from memory, myself.

The three stats you can now boost are Hit Points, Stamina and Magic Power. Don't worry about boosting your Hit Points, as when you get to Level 99, you'll be close to 9999 HP with everyone anyway. Stamina defends against instant death attacks and determines how many HP you recover per turn with the Regen status. Magic Power is the raw damage stat for your magic, and it also determines how many HP you will recover when casting healing magic.

If you're going to boost anything now, I'd boost Magic Power, but don't go crazy, for as you can see, there are still many Espers to get.

Wolf Kanno
10-11-2011, 05:36 AM
Isn't the Opera scene just awesome, that scene right there pretty much made me a fan of the series and got me into RPGs. :ffvising:

Leveling is a bit important if you need it, your real priority should be teaching Fire and Thunder to at least one character (Locke mostly) cause the next major dungeon is filled with enemies that have high physical resistance so magic is going to be your best friend. You will also get access to the nifty elemental weapons. Sabin will need to use Aura Bolt and Rising Phoenix while Edgar sticks to the Flash and Chainsaw. Teach healing magic to someone cause Celes shouldn't have to do all the work since her Blizzard spell is going to be useful.

I would visit the other towns simply just to give you and idea of what the empire is like. Most of the shops are the same but you'll get some good levels from walking to each place. Also steal from the enemies on the world map, one of them has a really awesome helmet for Sabina and Gau to use, and one carries the Dragoonboots which is a relic that changes Attack to Jump. Really useful for Edgar and Mog since they both can use spears and spears do 2X damage with the jump ability. :D

As for leveling, Strength should a priority for Locke, Magic for Celes, and a combination of the two stats for Sabin and Edgar since their skills utilize both stats for certain tools and blitzs. Ignore stamina, its not that useful. HP shouldn't be a priority but if you don't plan on getting max levels then its not so bad to raise it once and awhile, especially when you acquire some of the squishy mage characters.

Spooniest
10-11-2011, 02:23 PM
As for leveling, Strength should a priority for

Ah, but no Esper he has yet increases strength.

Wolf Kanno
10-11-2011, 06:21 PM
He's not far from getting one. :p

Jiro
10-12-2011, 12:46 AM
Visiting Vector was a very poignant point in the game for me. It's not a very welcoming place, but it's one of my favourite!

Bubba
10-13-2011, 11:49 AM
Just wanted to say thanks for all your help anyway guys, especially Spooniest and Wolf Kanno. Cheers!

Well... what a pain in the smurfing arse Vector/Magitek Facility is. I agree with you Jiro, it is not very welcoming but it is a great looking place.

I spent a VERY long time trying to work out where I should be going. The extremely regular random fights here didn't help my situation. I don't normally get stuck in places for that long as I'm quite methodical but this just took the absolute piss...

I managed to get to a save point after getting the two Espers and hopefully will be through the rest before long. I'll post a proper update when I'm out the other side. I feel a bit embarrassed as I was doing quite well up until this point!

Wolf Kanno
10-13-2011, 06:08 PM
Don't worry, its pretty straightforward from there on, after you beat Ifrit and Shiva. You even get to meet some new enemies. There is an enemy type called Clapper in the stairway area. It looks like a robot turret hanging from a chain. Make sure to encounter and kill one so you can encounter it on the Veldt cause it has three Blue Magics for your Blue Mage to learn later on. Also, you'll see a room where there are a bunch of giant tubes in a horizontal hallway, check the bottom left corner for a really easy to miss item. Otherwise, I would just make sure you have at least two people with the Cure spell and now that you have Shiva and Ifrit, you can add some -Ra versions of Fire and Blizzard to your magical arsenal, this is going to be important cause you have a tricky fight coming up. Don't worry about getting your ass kicked, the Magitek Factory is pretty much the first major difficulty spike in the game and one of the first major puzzle dungeons.

Jiro
10-17-2011, 04:58 AM
I spent so long wandering around to find all the blooming treasure. It's worth it though. Not only do you get some much needed exp, but the items are pretty sweet (iirc)!

Bubba
10-17-2011, 06:38 PM
I'm with you on that, Jiro. Seems like I spent forever wandering around in there... although that was mainly due to my inability to find the right way through! I did find quite a few pieces of top treasure though... a few bits of gold armour such.

I did some levelling up in the desert before hitting Vector (and subsequently a lot of unintentional levelling up in the Magitek Facility!). As a result I've had a bit of a jump in character levels... and more notably, gil! I'll have to find somewhere to splash the cash soon.

Anyway, I'm through Vector and have just had that flashback involving Terra and I've headed for Narshe (which took me a while to find - I may need a better map!). Now I've got the airship, is there any parts of the world that are worth exploring straight away before carrying on? I'm tempted to just crack on though as I'm hooked on the story!

Here's my update...

Progress

Gil: 251212

Edgar
LV: 26
HP: 1146
MP: 376

Sabin
LV: 27
HP: 1225
MP: 346

Setzer
LV: 24
HP: 966
MP: 310

Locke
LV: 26
HP: 1156
MP: 336

Wolf Kanno
10-18-2011, 03:47 AM
In the far east of the world map (past Mobliz and the Veldt), is a little town called Thamasa, you'll be going here later but its still possible to come to the town and buy some decent equipment there. Narshe will also have updated its stock in the shops so you'll have plenty to spend on with your hard earned gil. You can also return to Jidoor and find the Auction House has opened up. They sell lots of rare items, including two things called Golem and Zone Seeker which you will want (you'll need 30,000+ gil to get both). There is also a man in Tzen, whose hiding in the north east corner of the town, in the wood area, that has something worth buying as well. So I would go to Jidoor and Tzen before heading towards Narshe and Thamasa.

Also, in Narshe, you'll be given an amusing sidequest if you try to go back to the old adventurers store house where there was one treasure chest you couldn't open. You'll get an amusing run-in from a guest appearance from FFV and a choice that will either land you a really good relic for this point in the game, or a new party member.

Jiro
10-18-2011, 04:12 AM
WK is the best for giving hints without spoilers! I like your style, brah.

Bubba
10-18-2011, 01:15 PM
Aye, He's been a legend so far!

Just quickly did that sidequest in Narshe. I opted to go to the mog first and the other guy legged it. I assume I've missed that item now. What was it?

I think i might regret that but I couldn't abandon that poor mog...

Jiro
10-18-2011, 02:58 PM
It was a Gold Hairpin which, as I recall, is a pretty decent Relic but I never had much of a use for it. You'll be able to pick these up later anyway, so having Mog is my favourite option :D

Wolf Kanno
10-18-2011, 07:07 PM
Aye, He's been a legend so far!

Just quickly did that sidequest in Narshe. I opted to go to the mog first and the other guy legged it. I assume I've missed that item now. What was it?

I think i might regret that but I couldn't abandon that poor mog...

It was the Gold Hairpin, which halves MP consumption for the wearer. Don't worry, you can get another one later (and an even better item as well) so its usefulness is limited to how early you get it like the Gauntlet Relic. If you weren't playing the GBA version, this choice would have been harder to make because in all of the non-GBA versions if you don't pick up Mog then, you lost out on one of his special Dances (a very powerful one I might add) but the GBA version now sets up a scenario to get one more shot at it later.

Still, I feel Mog is the better choice, he's incredibly powerful if you use the right Dance moves. He learns them by fighting in different types of terrain, so you should have his Cave dance from the beginning of the game. now just fight in a city, mountain*, forest, desert, underwater*, plains*, and then much later you can get his final dance, Snow. The terrains with * next to them are exceptionally strong, just remember that Mog does fail sometimes when he does a dance. You should specialize his MAG stat, and since he's the only other character that uses Spears besides Edgar, you can make a him a Dragoon as well.

Congratulations you now have VI's mascot character. :mogumogu:

Greatermaximus
10-23-2011, 12:03 PM
I created a topic somewhere about first time through FFVI. My interpretation of the characters was off. Though I did understand mostly what was going on. Once you've beaten the game at a high level you'll naturally wanna try for faster/lower level next time. ;)

Bubba
11-02-2011, 09:58 AM
After successfully managing to move house with maximum stress and minimum free time... I can now finally concentrate on the important thiings in life... FFVI!

Unnecessary panic set in when I couldn't locate my Game Boy Advance. After emptying every single box into the spare room I came to the conclusion that my portable friend was lost... until I had flashback of putting my GBA into the glovebox of the car to "keep it safe".

My quest resumes tonight... update to follow!

Silent Warrior
11-03-2011, 09:43 AM
:lol: Good on ya!

Now: Enjoy the game, ignore Ultros, and don't skip any character sub-quests. I don't know if you can, but there'll be all the reason you need to reassemble your sprite-army once 'that' happens. You'll know what I mean when you get there.

Bubba
11-03-2011, 09:56 AM
OK, he's back up and running... and immediately is having trouble with these guys in the cave! It took me a few fights to realise that using Sabin's Fire Dance is really not a very good idea. I've been using his Aurabolt instead which seems to be the most effective.

I've been using Cura on the undead creatures which is dealing a decent amount of damage. They're still pretty tricky though... any other tips on dealing with these pricks?

I've just found a Genji Glove and used a tent at a save point. Will be cracking on with it tonight.

Progress

Gil: 255314

Sabin
LV: 29
HP: 1419
MP: 372

Edgar
LV: 28
HP: 1322
MP: 407

Terra
LV: 27
HP: 1207
MP: 359

Locke
LV: 28
HP: 1332
MP: 363

Wolf Kanno
11-03-2011, 06:30 PM
Chances are the Outcasts are causing you issues cause they are pains in the ass in general. You have a few strategies here: Since they are undead, they can be instantly killed with a Phoenix Down or Holy Water item, they are weak to Holy and Water so Aurabolt and Mog's Water Rondo Dance are really effective against them, also their Lifeshaver attack is earth elemental so if you have been exploring the areas I told you earlier, like say Thamasa, their is an enemy there that has Gaia Gear Vests as equipment you can steal from, they will completely neutralize their attack.

Zombie Dragon's are also susceptible to Phoenix Downs and Holy Waters. They are also incredibly weak to Fire Magic so have Terra just cast Fira on them as a single spell. Also Edgar's Noiseblaster will discombobulate the enemy and give you a few extra turns without worrying about being hit. Locke is pretty useless in here I'm afraid, the only decent loot he can steal is Phoenix Downs in case you decide to go for the one-hit-KO approach with the undead, Amulets, which are not that great of a relic at this point but can be sold for Gil, and Poison Rods which are pretty nasty damage items but are only useful if you don't intend on being liberal with whom you teach magic to. I'd probably drop him for Mog or Gau so I can exploit Water elemental weaknesses.

There is a also a switch that summons a Ninja, they are extremely dangerous because they are actually an enemy you should be fighting later on. They have some nasty AoE abilites and like to use the Vanish spell on themselves. Make sure someone casts a magic spell (preferably Thundara) on them every round in case they use a Invisible Scroll, have Edgar use either the Chainsaw or Drill tool for high damage and Sabin should use Meteor Strike since it should be his strongest physical Blitz available to you right now.

Editga: Also, there is a very useful weapon in this dungeon called Ultima Weapon. I will be weak right now but it can become the strongest weapon in the game. The problem is that this is your only real chance to get it until the absolute end of the game, so make sure you get it, because this is one of the dungeons that gets closed off from the player once you leave it.

Xardrick
11-08-2011, 06:38 PM
Hi, it's my first playtrough too, and i think i am somewhere in the end, and i want to know what level must characters have minimum to kill final boss?
I and don't want to mess this up like in FF VII where i couldn't kill Sephiroth :D lol

Wolf Kanno
11-08-2011, 07:50 PM
Generally, level 40+ is a safe bet, it really comes down to who you are using, what their equipment looks like, and whether you have certain spells or not like Reraise (Life3) or Ultima.

Xardrick
11-08-2011, 07:57 PM
oh, so i have no problem, my characters are 70+, and about 7 of them have ultima...

Bubba
11-09-2011, 08:42 AM
Good effort, Xardrick! I'm not quite up to your heady heights yet but I'm making steady progress.

I've passed through the cave at the sealed gate and returned to Vector to have a bit of grub with that Gestahl bloke. Obviously it was some kind of test because I was given a load of stuff at the end. I don't think I spoke to enough of his men but i still ended up with quite a lot. His army pulled out of Figaro and Doma and I got a Tinitibar (of which I already had one) and they unlocked that weapons chamber (which I stupidly forgot to go to before getting on that boat with Leo).

Is there any more stuff to be had for performing better at the feast? I've got a save point after the sealed gate and was wondering if it was worth doing it again? Especially when I forgot to get the stuff from the weapons chamber at the base

Here's my update

Progress

Gil: 355993

Locke
LV: 33
HP: 1839
MP: 426

Shadow
LV: 30
HP: 1512
MP: 388

Terra
LV: 32
HP: 1722
MP: 423

Wolf Kanno
11-09-2011, 04:55 PM
Yeah, there is one other item, a Ward Ring that lowers enemy encounter rates. Chances are, you missed the two officers standing guard outside the main entrance. Most people don't think you can leave the building through the front door. It's not a big deal. There is also a missable scene back on the Blackjack, if you travel to it before going to meet up with Leo and leave for Thamasa, then you get an amusing encounter with Setzer and Cid trying to repair his ship, and some foreshadowing about an event later.

Jiro
11-10-2011, 02:42 PM
There is also a missable scene back on the Blackjack, if you travel to it before going to meet up with Leo and leave for Thamasa, then you get an amusing encounter with Setzer and Cid trying to repair his ship, and some foreshadowing about an event later.

... :( I never knew this. My beloved FFVI kept secrets from me :(

Wolf Kanno
11-10-2011, 02:44 PM
Don't feel too bad, I only found out about it myself in the past few years after reading the FF Wiki. ;)

Bubba
11-16-2011, 08:15 AM
Well... Kefka's a bit of a bastard, isn't he?

Considering Leo is hard as nails I really didn't see that coming at all. I was pretty gutted to be honest... So Kefka has taken care of a load of espers which I'm sure will mean that he'll be tough to fight next time.

I managed to get back to the Imperial Base to grab all those items that I missed last time and am just about to head to the Continent. Still enjoying this thoroughly, the story has me gripped! I assume I'm still quite a way off from getting to the end of the tale?

Progress

Gil: 305442

Relm
LV: 29
HP: 1389
MP: 387

Locke
LV: 34
HP: 1941
MP: 438

Terra
LV: 33
HP: 1824
MP: 435

Strago
LV: 31
HP: 1586
MP: 408

Jiro
11-17-2011, 01:41 AM
Well after the Floating Continent you get a lot of freedom to choose what you do, so you could be really close to the end of the tale or still far away! I don't want to say anything and spoil anything for you, but please oh please don't leave Shadow behind. Wait until the timer has only a few seconds left!

chionos
11-17-2011, 04:25 AM
The Floating Continent can be mean if you're not prepared for it, but you're high enough that it shouldn't be too much of a drag. Afterward is when the real fun begins. Open-ended world with as much to give as you choose to put into it. The optional side-questing of the second continent set the tone for the FFs to come after it. It's a shame that SE has gone away from that kind of content.
On a personal level, it makes me very happy when someone else is able to enjoy FFVI, the best game to ever exist on any platform of any genre I don't care what anyone says, just try to prove that it's not the best game ever and you just show me a better game and I'll show you a pile of chocobo dung because all other games pale in comparison to the greatness that is FFVI. Best opening? check. Best music? check. Best characters? check. Best boss? sephirothwho check. Best optional characters ever in any game? double check. Opera scene cooler than real opera? check. Epic bestiality sex scene and birth of mutant esper-baby? whoa wtf checkmate.

Spooniest
11-19-2011, 04:49 PM
I will reiterate what somebody else said already. When you have the choice

> Jump!
Wait!

Make DAMN sure you choose Wait. And then just wait. Got me?

Bubba
11-22-2011, 09:47 AM
Wow. I didn't really see that coming. Just taking a bit of a breather after the world was seemingly torn apart.

Thanks for the not-so-subtle hints guys! I definitely waited! Although I'm really glad you told me because I would've been getting a bit twitchy round the 10-second mark. I took a bit of a battering on the continent but I was still strong enough to get through.

From what you guys have put it looks like the world (or what's left) is gonna open up quite a bit now which I'm looking forward to. This is where I usually get side-tracked by some crazy sub-quest or mini-game but the story is great so I'll try and stay focused!

Progress

Gil: 352118

Celes
LV: 32
HP: 1696
MP: 422

chionos
11-23-2011, 01:56 AM
Well the story is the subplots in the world of ruin. You can finish the game a relatively short distance into the second half of the game. So don't focus. Go cr:kakapo:zy.

Bubba
11-23-2011, 10:31 AM
Cheers for that. I'll get myself about a bit!

Just a quick one. It seems my extraordinary real-life fishing skills have been replicated perfectly in this game... that being I didn't catch any fish and Cid has now snuffed it.

I don't want to go through the whole attempted suicide section again but is there any reward for keeping Cid alive?

Wolf Kanno
11-23-2011, 05:45 PM
No, you don't get anything really. Not even a good story sequence. He literally gets out of bed, says he's feeling better, tells you he built a raft and sends you on your way. He then stays on the island for the rest of the game and simply mumbles something about you finding your friends and hope and all that nonsense. It is more emotionally fulfilling to let him die, cause Celes' suicide attempt is just a really poignant moment in the game for most.

There will be a reason to come back to the island later, just to pick something up, but Cid's survival has nothing to do with it, so you're good. You've now reached the point in the game where things will get harder, and it's really easy to get lost in doing everything. It may be difficult to not spoil certain things at this point, but feel free to ask questions. Just be sure to talk to all the NPCs. they will point you in the right direction, so you don't have to ask us. It is very easy to miss some stuff in this part of the game.

chionos
12-05-2011, 05:10 PM
I see what you did there. >_>
Now gtfo.
(PO_O)==P|X_o)/

Bubba
12-06-2011, 11:31 AM
Still making steady progress since the world was torn apart. I'm loving this new altered world. It reminded me a little of the light/dark world scenario in A Link to the Past. Obviously without being a direct parallel world like alttp, this new world with skewed continents whilst retaining the old towns is intriguing. There is also a bigger sense of foreboding in this game which really adds to the atmosphere.

After doing a lot of scouting around with Celes, I've now re-united with Sabin and Edgar. They're all around level 36 with all over 2000 hp. They're all equipped with lots of Diamond/Gold Weapons/Armour, Just found Royal Crown which Sabin is sporting (which I imagine he'd look slightly camp wearing). I've got Celes equipped with Ultima Weapon which she is kicking arse with.

I do like increasing my character stats by using the espers when they level up. It annoys the hell out of me when I forget to equip one with a bonus beforehand.

I've just quick-sanded it over to Kohlingen in Figaro Castle and am about to do some investigating.

Wolf Kanno
12-06-2011, 05:15 PM
Make sure to buy some Holy Waters and Phoenix Downs in Kohligen, you're going to need them for the next dungeon. Also, avoid any weapons with an instant death property to them. That's right, you've got a date with some undead. :zombert:

chionos
12-06-2011, 05:38 PM
Don't forget to hit the bar!

Spooniest
12-08-2011, 08:55 AM
Whatever you do from here on is kind of up to you. Don't be in a hurry. Just enjoy the show.

Mirage
12-14-2011, 12:31 PM
If you want to learn magic without leveling up unnecessarily (so you can get cooler stat boosts on levelup later), you can fight on the veldt. You get magic points there, but not experience points.

Greatermaximus
01-16-2012, 05:07 AM
You can also get Magic Points only in the Cult of Kefka's Tower. Had to equip Wall Rings at such a low level though.

Haven't posted in a while so.

It's possible to upgrade Odin into Raiden. Avoid doing so if you figure out how. The only way to increase your speed stat is through Odin.

The only thing we can do now is tell you what the FAQ tells you. That you can steal Ribbon's from Bracosaurs and get their dropped Economizers.

I steal Thunder Shields to turn into Genji Shields in the Collesseum. You can easily beat the game at a low to mid level with some spells and bought equipment.

I don't think it merits an in depth response. Hope you enjoyed the game. I'm sure others can help you out too. ;)

Mirage
01-17-2012, 01:00 PM
It's possible to upgrade Odin into Raiden. Avoid doing so if you figure out how. The only way to increase your speed stat is through Odin.
No longer correct, assuming he is playing the GBA version. The new esper Sabotender (or was it Cactuar, I forgot) boosts speed by two points per level, one more than Odin's bonus.

Bubba
01-17-2012, 01:44 PM
I am indeed playing the GBA version.

I'd taken a brief hiatus from this game over the last couple of months. I was understandably distracted by Uncharted 3, ICO and Shadow of the Colossus and Skyward Sword.

I powered it up last night and found myself following the white bird to Zozo. I managed to fight my way through Mt Zozo and re-unite with Cyan. I also barely survived a fight with a ridiculously hard dragon (1 of 8 - not sure if this was the first one or if there isn't really an order). I pretty much had everyone healing except Sabin (and occasionally Edgar) who I had on constant attack.

Anyway, quick question. Where is the best place to level up in this game? My characters are around 38-39. I've been coping fine so far but that dragon made me think I should beef up a bit.

Mirage
01-17-2012, 02:00 PM
The dragons can be killed in any order you want. Two of them are in the final dungeon, so if you've got 2 left before going there, you're still good to go.

I would say don't level up. Not unless you get game overs repeatedly. These dragons are supposed to be challenging, but managing to kill one means you're still strong enough. The Wind Dragon isn't the easiest of them either.

The next time you play through the game, I'm sure you'll find the dragons easy even if you are 5 levels lower than you are now. Last time I played I think i was in the late 30s when I killed the last boss.

Bubba
03-14-2012, 10:46 AM
Update time!

I have no other games to distract me now (Uncharted: Golden Abyss was the last one) so I'm going to dedicate my time to this game. I need to see how it ends!

I had a monster session last night which resulted in quite a few Game Overs in the Phoenix Cave. I tried to split my party as evenly as I could and realised this wasn't the best way to go about it. I kept getting battered by the Red Dragon. I forgot about Mog's encounter-none charm so I put him in a weak party and had assembled my strongest party to do all the fighting. I made reasonably short work with the red dragon using Edgar's chainsaw and Celes' Blizzaga.

I'm off to go and hunt some more dragons now. My characters are levelled to around 40 and apart from the dragons I seem to be pretty comfortable. I'm still missing Shadow but I'm sure he'll turn up at some point!

EDIT: The scene between Locke and Rachel (then Locke and Celes) after the Phoenix Cave was lovely. It was a really nice moment in the game.

Wolf Kanno
03-14-2012, 04:54 PM
Have you met Shadow in the Ruined World? Also, have you met Umaro and Gogo yet? Have you seen the Ancient City that's buried underground as well?

Bubba
03-14-2012, 06:39 PM
Have you met Shadow in the Ruined World? Also, have you met Umaro and Gogo yet? Have you seen the Ancient City that's buried underground as well?

Yeah, I met Shadow on the Veldt. Been chatting to Loony BoB and he's directed me to the Colliseum to find him. Can't say I've heard of Umaro or Gogo yet. Pretty sure I haven't seen this underground Ancient City either.

Wolf Kanno
03-15-2012, 03:27 AM
I'll give you some hints then:

Umaro - When was the last time you checked up on that frozen esper everyone was freaking out about in the beginning of the game? I should take Mog along so he can see his old home as well.

Gogo - Have you seen that new worm creature on Traingle Island? Wonder what would happen if you didn't attack and just stood there for awhile, no matter what it does...

Ancient City - I wonder what the people of Figaro Castle are doing? You fixed the castle, I hope it's still doing okay.

Bubba
06-29-2017, 10:17 PM
Thanks for the hints, Mr Kanno.

As you will no doubt all remember, I am in the world of ruin. I have been reunited with everyone now, I think. Just re-acquired Mog in Narshe, defeated the ice dragon (3 of 8) and had a spat with the frozen esper... which is now my bitch.

Just done a healthy bout of magic grinding. Gau has Ultima and I've got two others with Fire 3. All characters are levels 45-50. I'm confident I can see it through to the end this time.

Sephiroth
06-29-2017, 10:22 PM
I watched you replying but I was not sure you really would do that considering everyone else posting in this thread earlier is dead already.

Bubba
07-08-2017, 01:14 PM
Well, the Cultists Tower was a bit of a bastard. I considered using the moogle charm as it was only allowing me to fight with magic. They were yielding 7-9 points per fight though so I went armed with 99 tinctures/ethers to see me through.

So I beat the Holy Dragon, trudged up countless flights of stairs and faced off against the ghost leader of the weirdo cultists. I was soundly trashing him with non-stop Ultimas until... he cast it himself as he died. Instant death for my whole team. What the hell, game? If you're gonna pull something like that then at least give me a save point before the fight. I had to do the entire tower again! I made sure to cast Life 3 on everyone next time through but still...

I took WK's advice though and have found Umaro and Gogo :D

Edge7
07-19-2017, 08:30 PM
If you hadn't already done the Cultists' Tower I would've pointed you to the Economizer; it's an extremely rare item you can find that renders the cost of ALL spells to 1 MP. That paired with Osmose kinda turns the tower into a joke, with the exception of the boss at the end.

Bubba
07-19-2017, 11:44 PM
Sounds interesting. Where is the Economizer located?

Bubba
08-02-2017, 03:52 PM
Found two Economizers now after levelling up in the dinosaur forest.

I've gone overkill with my levelling-up as pretty much every character (barring Umaro and Gogo) are at level 60. They all have lots of spells learnt including Ultima and Flare. I think it's time to attempt Kefka's Tower!

I think I'm still missing two or three dragons, no idea where they are. Gau has a tonne of rages (though not all, I don't think), Strago has some of his lores and Mog has all of his dances.

I'd say I'm good to go, yes?

Shiva95
08-03-2017, 12:42 PM
The two last dragons are in Kefka's Tower ;) You seem good to go!

Bubba
08-03-2017, 03:23 PM
Lovely stuff!

I know it's a split-party final dungeon but I'm pretty confident I can see this through.

Wolf Kanno
08-03-2017, 06:30 PM
Honestly, you're actually overleveled for the final dungeon. Go kick Kefka's ass!

BustaMo
08-03-2017, 09:02 PM
I've gone overkill with my levelling-up as pretty much every character (barring Umaro and Gigi) are at level 60. They all have lots of spells learnt including Ultima and Flare.

Looks like a good point to me. I can't remember exactly how high my main characters were leveled when I attempted the final boss, but I'm pretty sure you're higher than I was and I beat him my 1st attempt.

Bubba
08-10-2017, 03:21 PM
...and the clown is down!

I think it helped that every one of my characters knew Ultima. Plus, having a character equipped with a Gem Box and an Economiser made them ridiculously destructive. I definitely went overboard with the levelling (as I did in FFX) but it was lots of fun mowing down all comers.

The ending was great! I loved how it gave you a curtain-call for each of your team in an escape-the-dungeon montage. It definitely cements its place in my top three FF games.

That brings the total of numbered entries I've completed up to... six. Huh, that's still not a lot. Oh well... on to FFIX!