PDA

View Full Version : What is this "Fail Safe State" when I turn on my computer?

Pike
10-03-2011, 04:07 PM
It used to be that when I turned on my computer, everything would go smoothly and it would auto-boot into grub (a boot menu) and then I could choose if I wanted to load into Linux or Windows. Normal, right?

Well, ever since moving a couple of weeks ago, when I boot up my computer it gives me a message like "You are now running in a fail safe state. Press F1 to continue, DEL to enter setup".

Pressing F1 just loads me into grub like normal, and DEL takes me to the bios. So I've been pressing F1 this whole time to bypass it, but... why is it doing this in the first place? Did I bump something out of place during the move? How do I fix it? It's not a terribly big annoyance, but it is a slight one.

I've Googled and I get a couple of different options so I thought I'd check with you fine folks to see if anyone had any wisdom between now and... whenever I decide to restart my computer again.

Mirage
10-03-2011, 10:10 PM
Sounds like your bios settings were wiped, or the old settings stopped working correctly, leading the computer to reset them to values that "always work", or failsafe settings. It could be a hardware problem, or simply your bios battery nearing the end of its lifetime. It's probably not serious, though. To get rid of it, you could try entering the bios and just press save and exit right afterwards without changing anything.

Pike
10-20-2011, 03:13 AM
To get rid of it, you could try entering the bios and just press save and exit right afterwards without changing anything.

Okay, I've rebooted my computer a few times since making this thread and tried this and it doesn't seem to be working.

Mirage
10-20-2011, 01:39 PM
Well, I don't have any more suggestions. If it's a hardware issue, it's gonna be pretty annoying for me to try to troubleshoot it from halfway across the globe :(.

Can you imagine how useful it would be if i could just have connected my AI core to your physical terminal right now? Oh, technological limitations, how I hate you.

Pike
10-20-2011, 02:03 PM
SERIOUSLY, it would solve everything if we were all robots!