PDA

View Full Version : Birds

Pike
10-05-2011, 05:17 PM
I learned many important things while working at a pet store but chief among them were the following:

Cockatiels are evil
Parakeets are a pain in the derriere
Conures are intelligent and fun. <3

The biggest problem with birds, though, is that they're a giant mess. As much as I'd love a conure to play with, I think I'd quickly tire of deep cleaning a big cage once a week. It was bad enough having to clean the cages at work while there were birds still in them flying around overhead and leaving me presents in my hair.

ITT we discuss birds!

P.S. Loofah Bird! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFMXrBWswl0)

:kakapo::kakapo::kakapo:
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a109/Pikestaff/BannedGeneral/1317796822346.gif
:kakapo::kakapo::kakapo:

Peegee
10-05-2011, 05:45 PM
lol boobs

Shiny
10-05-2011, 05:48 PM
This morning a flock of ravens flew into my backyard. They were all in my pool and on the lawn. The noise they made was a bit terrifying because there was just so many of them. And one was right outside my window because there's a ledge there that extends out pretty far. I felt like Edgar Allen Poe x 50. Usually I like birds, but this was a bit much.

As pets, I have two parrots, an African Gray and a Senegal.

Shlup
10-05-2011, 06:35 PM
BJ hates birds with a passion, and I have mixed feelings about keeping them as pets, so I'd never get one. That Whipper is pretty fabulous though.

Throughout my life, my father has occasionally bought finches, but they never live long. The last pair... well, my brother was trying to bathe Mister Peepers. With the garden hose. Missus Peepers died of loneliness a couple of days later, sitting on her eggs.

Madame Adequate
10-05-2011, 06:59 PM
I admire birds from a distance, but would never want one as a pet. They are evil creatures committed to no purpose in life except annoying Humans.

sharkythesharkdogg
10-05-2011, 08:00 PM
As pets, I have two parrots, an African Gray and a Senegal.

African Greys can be meeeeeaaaaannnn. My aunt's used to bite the shit out of me at random, and my neighbor's did too.

My mother has a mustached parakeet (which is really a full sized parrot, I don't know why they're called that.) that we raised from a hatchling when I was younger. Her name is Princess. She can be cranky occasionally, but normally she's pretty affectionate and loves to preen hair, sit on shoulders, fly around the house, etc. My parents brought back a male one (named Pete) from when they were stationed in Japan and he lived many, many years. We bought the female for company. Normally I'd worry about the bird being lonely now that her mate died, but Pete passed away about 10 years ago and she's still happy. My mother gives her lots of time out of the cage, and spends lots of time with her every evening. Even when you leave the cage door open, the bird sometimes prefers to be in there anyway. :p

For a while when I was little, we also raised peacocks. Those are big, noisy, messy creatures. They're easy to catch though.

Chris
10-05-2011, 08:01 PM
I have two Cockatiels. Baloo (a white one), I've had for fifteen years! C.C. Rider, a grey one, I've had since 2005. Love them both.

Miriel
10-05-2011, 09:37 PM
Birds are the worst creatures in existence. My ideal world would be one where none of those disgusting devils existed.

I'm trying to teach my dogs to snarl and bark at the pigeons they see while we're out on walks. There's a few cities in California that have started sterilizing the pigeon population. When I'm rich enough, I'm going to buy tons of those sterilizing bird feed and just distribute it around the world.

NorthernChaosGod
10-05-2011, 10:16 PM
I want a falcon. That is all.

fire_of_avalon
10-05-2011, 10:31 PM
Hannah! That's terrible. The birds aren't trying to wipe out your species.

Yet.

I am ambivalent about birds. Mama Jeanne, my mother's mom, has an Australian Rainbow Lorikeet named Bo who tells people to kiss his tailfeathers. Once when I was 8 he bit me on the cheek really hard and I cried. But then he was doing this spinny thing trying to eat some bread so I laughed. My family thought I was crazy.

I really like crows and if I had the knowledge and time I'd totally rehabilitate and raise them.

Peegee
10-05-2011, 10:34 PM
Birds are the worst creatures in existence. My ideal world would be one where none of those disgusting devils existed.

I'm trying to teach my dogs to snarl and bark at the pigeons they see while we're out on walks. There's a few cities in California that have started sterilizing the pigeon population. When I'm rich enough, I'm going to buy tons of those sterilizing bird feed and just distribute it around the world.

wait 'sterilizing bird' what? How is this spread? STD or through some other infection mechanism?

I keep wanting to leave poisoned bird feed in downtown Toronto. PIGEONS DO NOT WANT

Jiro
10-06-2011, 12:02 AM
The birds round here are awesome. Not so many of them any more though.

Although if you hate noise then it's probably a bad idea 'cause they're loud. Fucking kookaburras.

Loony BoB
10-06-2011, 01:16 PM
Birds in NZ > Birds in the UK. That's what I've learned. I miss the Tui in particular. Everything about the Tui is wonderful. It's my favouritest bird of all time.

Oh, and the seagulls in the UK are insane. About two to four times the size of the ones I remember in NZ. And... they eat pigeons. And they eat each other. And they're huge. And they have no fear of anything in the entire world. Seagulls in the UK are demons who flew up from hell to do nothing but destroy.

Shiny
10-06-2011, 06:13 PM
I want a falcon so I can falcon punch Miriel and any other bird hater.

Psychotic
10-06-2011, 06:37 PM
If I had been a pirate I think instead of having a parrot on my shoulder I would've had a toucan. And I guess I would've got it to bite people.

Alternative: Pelican.

NorthernChaosGod
10-06-2011, 06:50 PM
Paul, a pelican would be an awesome pirate bird.

I want a falcon so I can falcon punch Miriel and any other bird hater.
I concur.

Agent Proto
10-06-2011, 07:34 PM
Birds in general are pretty cool. I wouldn't mind owning one.

Except when they start sprouting cuss words. (http://youtu.be/yeBl836kGTs) xD

rubah
10-06-2011, 09:20 PM
what are birds?

we used to have finches. then they went donner party on each other

Araciel
10-06-2011, 11:45 PM
I love birds! They're delicious!

Jiro
10-07-2011, 03:26 AM
Seagulls...eating pigeons? What kind of demon magic is this!?

Loony BoB
10-07-2011, 09:24 AM
Seriously! They're proper fucked up, man!

Shiny
10-10-2011, 08:26 AM
D'awww (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yukdsl5O7AI)