PDA

View Full Version : Travel thead

Peegee
10-07-2011, 06:34 PM
This is going to be not a general thread (no mentioning only a state, or how you ended up at the houston, tx airport like I did for a layover to fv, ar) about where you have traveled, but a specific place.

Well not that specific. I don't need to know that you've been to yonge street in burke's falls, ON

Anyway here's where I have been:

hong kong
china (beijing, shanghai, various small towns)
macau
jamaica (everywhere, pretty much. I spent 3 weeks traveling in a bus with my classmates, staying at hostels)
brtiish columbia (vancouver, nainamo)
ontario [bwahaha bloat! I live here!] (toronto, barrie, windsor, london, guelph, stouville, richmond hill, oshawa, whitby, ottawa, pickering, niagara falls, niagara-on-the-lake, brampton, hamilton, markham, oro, oro-medonte, coldwater, muskoka / bay of lakes, peterborough, clearview, kitchener/waterloo, picton, Ste St Marie, Burke's Falls, the middle of nowhere, Ontario (north of SSM) canoeing around)
quebec (montreal, gatineau)
alberta (banff)
new york (buffalo, new york city, manhattan, cheektowaga)
arkansas (fayetteville, pottsville)
california (ontario ?)
Tennessee (nashville)
Connecticut (dunno where - it was in a house made of glass in the middle of a forest)
Florida (Orlando)
Illinois (Chicago)

okay your turn.

Cuchulainn
10-07-2011, 07:08 PM
1. ireland
2. your mothers vagina.

end of list.

Peegee
10-07-2011, 07:19 PM
1. ireland
2. your mothers vagina.

end of list.

wow you're cultured. *envy*

Pike
10-07-2011, 07:57 PM
1. Washington - all over the state, lived there for a total of about 12 years throughout my life
2. Montana - Mostly the southwestern portion, have lived here for the other 15 years of my life and am here now
3. California - Went to Disneyland and stayed here for about a week
4. Wyoming - Been here a few times to go to Yellowstone National Park
5. Oregon, Idaho, Utah, Nevada, Arizona - driven through en route to other places

That's it. I have never been out of the country and I have never been east of eastern Montana. :monster:

I have also only been on an airplane once in my entire life. Well, twice, I guess. It was round trip.

Chris
10-07-2011, 08:03 PM
Erm, we traveled a lot when I was a kid, so my memory's a little fuzzy, but here are those I have memories of:

Europe

Paris: Visited the loveliest town in the world five times between 1996-2000. My entire family loves the city, and we're actually planning on going back there next year. I can't believe it has been eleven years since our last visit.

Berlin: Been there a lot of times, and I am still not entirely convinced, to be quite honest, Berlin is actually exceptionally ordinary, in my opinion.

Amsterdam: We drove there, and had a good time. It was a charming city.

Stockholm: Exceptionally mundane, and like every other Scandinavian city.

London: It was quite literally a 'foggy' MONTH, when we visited the ancient town. All clichés aside, we had a gay ol' time.

Luxembourg (city): Next to Paris, Luxemburg is my favorite European town. It is such a lovely place, and I'd like to go back there some day.

That wraps up the most important places, and I did not include all of the small towns we've visited over the years.

Asia

Philippines: My parents own a mansion on Panay, so naturally, we've been venturing to this lovely country almost every year since I was born. My mother is Filipino, and we've visted a lot of places, including lenghty stays in Manila, which I love more than Paris and Luxembourg put together.

Hong Kong: Stayed there for four days, and had one hell of a time!

Bangkok: I wasn't terribly fond of this place, and we only stayed there for about five days.

Those are the most important places, and I did not include all of the smaller towns and places we've visited.

Places I WILL visit in my lifetime: Ireland, Egypt, more of China, Tokyo (I have family there, and despite of several of invitations, we have yet to visit!), America, Bulgaria and at last Romania.

rubah
10-07-2011, 09:19 PM
US
- Arkansas - Pottsville, Fayetteville, Clarksville, West Fork, Mountainburg, Russellville, Atkins, Morrilton, Conway, Little Rock, somewhere between Star City and Dumas, Rogers, Fort Smith, Alma, Dover, Hot Springs, Arkadelphia, Mansfield, Lamar, Charleston, Beebe, Bee Branch, Hector, Dardanelle, Murfreesborough, Ola
- Missouri - Branson, Kansas City
- Louisiana - New Orleans, Lafayette
- Texas - Houston, Ft. Worth
- Tennessee - Gatlinburg
- Mississippi - somewhere down on the coast for canoeing
- Alabama - Huntsville
- Georgia - Atlanta
- Florida - Cape Canaveral, Cocoa Beach
- Oklahoma - Broken Arrow, Tulsa
- Colorado - Denver, Littleton
- New Mexico - Albuquerque
- Arizona - Grand Canyon
- Nevada - Las Vegas
- California - Los Angeles, El Segundo, Venice, Torrance, Compton, Manhattan Beach, Gardena
- Ohio - Dayton, Greenville, Piqua
- Indiana - Richmond, Indianapolis, Fort Wayne
- Minnesota - Minneapolis
- Illinois - Chicago
- St. Croix - Frederiksted, Christiansted, Chenay Bay

UK
- London
- Bath
- Stonehenge
- Stratford-on-Avon
- Dover

France
- Besançon
- Paris
- Strasbourg

Germany
- Kehl

Rantz
10-07-2011, 10:26 PM
Sweden: Öland, Gotland, Kalmar, Stockholm, Göteborg, Jönköping, Mora, Skåne, Blekinge... I think that's pretty much it.
Latvia: Riga
Germany: Rügen
Greece: Crete
Scotland: Lots of small towns all over. Ullapool is the only name I can remember off the top of my head lol
Spain: Canary Islands (Gran Canaria), Barcelona
Switzerland: Bern, Basel
USA: Tempe, Phoenix, La Jolla, San Diego, Santa Barbara, LA

Might go to South America this winter!

Shlup
10-07-2011, 11:19 PM
I have been to...

Rosarita, Mexico
Maui & Oahu, Hawaii
Las Vegas, Nevada
The Grand Canyon, Arizona
Denver, Colorado
San Francisco, California
Negril, Jamaica
Alaska
Oklahoma
Japan
Boise, Idaho

I didn't count any "Oh, I'm going to see my family" trips though. There are still a lot more places I'd like to go, but Europe is so far away.

Rostum
10-08-2011, 12:10 AM
Everywhere in Australia, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

I would love to go traveling around Europe, and also go to Canada to work some day.

Cuchulainn
10-08-2011, 12:54 AM
1. ireland
2. your mothers vagina.

end of list.

wow you're cultured. *envy*

You're almost 30 and you're still obsessed with Pokemon, to the point where you cannot make a post about yourself without referring to yourself in the third person as Piku, which is usually the only part of your posts I understand. Do you really want to talk to me about being cultured?

Laddy
10-08-2011, 01:12 AM
Wow. Cuch went somewhere else just now. o.O

Cuchulainn
10-08-2011, 01:18 AM
It's all love Lad. All Love. He's right though. I have no culture or class.

rubah
10-08-2011, 01:37 AM
he's not obsessed with pokemon, he's obsessed with a pokemon

Jiro
10-09-2011, 05:33 AM
I've been to Australia and a couple of islands owned by Australia so it doesn't even count as going overseas.

Haven't gone to any of the western states yet though. Only the ones with an east coast IE the good ones. :p

Peegee
10-09-2011, 04:42 PM
i want to visit the eu one day, but that's definitely on the expensive side, even if i stayed in hostels.

my parents did it before i was born - and now they travel a lot now that they are almost retired. i expect the same will happen with me - at some point i have to sit still and pay off property.

:( wanna visit sweden

rubah
10-09-2011, 10:30 PM
I've been to Australia and a couple of islands owned by Australia so it doesn't even count as going overseas.

Haven't gone to any of the western states yet though. Only the ones with an east coast IE the good ones. :p
no matter how far east you go in AUS you'll always be west of the US

Pant Leg Eater from the Bad World
10-10-2011, 12:50 AM
Hm. Let us see.

Washington State - All over. Spent 16 years of my childhood here.
Oregon - All over.
California - Mostly all over.
North Carolina, Jacksonville - Spent a couple months here for MOS school. This place is titty.
Arizona, Yuma - This place is also titty.
Afghanistan, Helmand Province - War is titty.
Kyrgyzstan - Manus Air Force Base. Marines aren't allowed to drink here. That sucks.
Germany- One of the USAF bases. Spent a couple days there.
Okinawa, Japan - <3 I loved this place. Beautiful country.
Thailand, Pattaya Beach - Las Vegas has nothing on this place. Pattaya Beach is the true Sin City. I certainly want to go back and beat strippers again.
Philippines, Subic Bay - Slightly cleaner than Thailand was...
Mexico, Guadalajara; Tequila; another city whose name I cannot remember - OMG. I hate tequila because of this trip. Went to the village of Tequila, where the alcohol derives its name and visited the Jose Cuervo and Herruda tequila factories. Drank lots and lots of it.

I think that about covers it. I think. I need to get out in Europe more. And get my ass to mainland Japan. And visit Canada. Geez, I grew up close enough to it, why haven't I ever been?

Jiro
10-10-2011, 03:53 AM

no matter how far east you go in AUS you'll always be west of the US

It's all relative baby

Wolf Kanno
10-10-2011, 06:21 AM
Colorado - Most of it
Nebraska - It sucks
Oklahoma - It sucks
Kansas - it sucks
Missouri - it sucks
Wyoming- someday, they'll finish their highways...
Montana - most of it, road trip across most of it
Washington - but not Seattle :(
Oregon - Astoria, love the coastline
California - San Fransisco, San Diego, but mostly LA
Nevada - Except for Vegas, it sucks
Utah - it sucks, but SLC Punk is a great movie
North Dakota - stayed at a haunted hotel
South Dakota - saw Mt. Rushmore
Wisconsin - funny accents and cool weather
Minnesota - nice cool weather
New Mexico - Santa Fe is pretty awesome, great Mexican food, I just hate the desert
Arizona - It sucks
Texas - El Paso, Houston, The Alamo, and a few other places, got a nasty sunburn here.
Mississippi - It sucks
Missouri - more like misery
Alabama - my hotel had a gator!
Louisiana - Baton Rouge, mostly rained while I was there
Georgia - meh
North Carolina - meh
South Carolina - Charleston is a beautiful city.
Florida - various places but overall nice.
Illinois - everywhere except Chicago :(
Indiana - smurfing humidity
Ohio - see nebrask
Iowa - see above
Idaho - see above
Kentucky - beautiful landscapes, okay people
Tennessee - Smurf LA gangs, Appalachian hillbillies are much scarier...
Michigan - mostly Saginaw
West Virginia - nice forests and mountains
Virgina - pretty sate, lots of history
Pennsylvania - mostly Quaker territory :eep:
New York - mostly northern half , Niagara Falls, Albany
Massachusetts - Boston is a nice place, even if the traffic is a bit intense.
Vermont - see below
New Hampshire - see below
Connecticut- see below
Rhode Island - They all look the same and if you blink, you'll have missed the state line sign
Maine - Nice coastal towns, even if they looked a bit rundown, kind of a creepy place, like Tennessee if it had a beach

Outside of the US - Canada, I think it was either Saskatchewan or British Columbia, I can't remember, just went in long enough to see a mall.:eep:

Jiro
10-10-2011, 01:36 PM
I notice Oklahoma sucks twice on your list.

Bubba
10-10-2011, 02:41 PM
OK. Starting Close to home...

England:
Manchester - greatest place on Earth
Nottingham - looked up Robin Hoods skirt
Birmingham - avoided speaking to EVERYONE
London - played at the O2 Arena in January
Blackpool - It's got a tower... thats about it
Sheffield - The train station was nice...
Torquay - Sunny... some of the time
Newcastle - saw 'Oasis' play there

Scotland:
Edinburgh - Nice castle... lots of tramps
Glasgow - Nice city. Not as many tramps.

Ireland:
Dublin - Ridiculously expensive
Newry - Small... it had some hills

Europe:
Berlin - Was excited to purchase a Big Mac Meal with a beer!
Bruges - Go at Christmas, it's awesome!
Greece (various) - Lots of family holidays
Barcelona - I like sangria... sangria good
Brussels: Best beers on the planet

Everywhere else:
Hong Kong - Mental but I loved it
New York - Tall. My second favourite place (after Manchester!)
Florida - I was ill and watched a lot of Judge Judy in the hotel

Loony BoB
10-10-2011, 05:07 PM
North Island, New Zealand - Home, Beautiful.
I was born in Auckland and have travelled to pretty much every single town in the North Island. I have, to this day, never been to the South Island. The furthest I went overseas before I turned 18 (and moved to Scotland) was Great Barrier Island off the coast of North Island. Anyway, I miss this place. I look forward to returning there someday and beginning my own family there. I would not have it any other way.

Kuala Lumpur International Airport, Malaysia - Humid, Foreign.
Or whatever it's called. I stopped over there and was bored for about three hours. It is so freaking humid in there despite the air conditioning and the airport is basically a greenhouse. It was not an ideal location to be stuck in during a stopover. I know you mentioned that we should not include stopovers, Peeg, but this was the first place I set foot on outside the top half of New Zealand so it was fairly notable for me!

London, England - Shops, Buildings.
I've been here a few times. When I first arrived in the UK and, since then, for various business trips or stopovers for flights. Danielle and I stayed there overnight one day so we could experience the place properly. It's okay. A bit boring if you aren't into historic royal buildings and shopping. I'm glad we were only there for a day. The whole London appeal just doesn't work for me.

Edinburgh, Scotland - Home-away-from-home, Old Beauty.
A lovely city. When I first arrived I wasn't impressed, but since then I have grown to love it. It seems the more time I spend away from Edinburgh, the more I can appreciate it's beauty. It's not the litter in the streets (which is why my first impression wasn't the best, I must have come at a bad time!) but the fact that there is a garden that runs the length of the main street of the city, and at the other side of that garden standing proud is the castle, and there are various other monuments and statues that you can see - again, all from the main street. The city is lovely, I'm glad to call it home.

York, England - Welcoming, Lovely.
A lovely little town, and I was served in a café there by the most beautiful waitress I'd ever seen. I left a £10 tip. I was rather taken by her. Haha. But yeah, beyond that, it's just a lovely little place. I know it's probably big, but it really did seem like a very small town rather than a huge city. Perhaps it's just the welcoming nature of the people that make it feel that way. I enjoyed my time there.

Wales (excluding Cardiff) - Ruins, Beautiful.
I visited Wales (excluding Cardiff) by going on a road trip with Mum. It's beautiful. I particularly liked St. Davids. That, and the general number of ruins that we were able to visit, and how lush the greenery was in the country, something I don't see very often in England or Scotland. So yeah, it was good.

Los Angeles, California - Dusty, Great people.
Okay, so I only stayed one night and was barely awake for the days on either side, but I really, really enjoyed my stay there because it involved hanging out with ShlupQuack. For all the crap we may give each other, I would jump at the opportunity to hang out with her again and hope to do so sometime in the next few years. As for the city, I'll describe it the way I've described it to everyone over the years. It's huge. Absolutely massive. And it's like God got a giant vacuum cleaner, vacuumed up a part of the desert and then... emptied the full vacuum bag right over the city. So freaking dusty. But yeah.

Los Osos / San Luis Obispo, California - Gorgeous, Little.
Very lovely place to stay, although little to do. I particularly loved the train ride (once I got on the fricking train, which is a story in itself) up there along the coastline. It was stunning, just beautiful. But yeah, San Luis Obispo I remember for being very sunny and just really nice to walk around town in and whatnot, although agian, there isn't much to do there. Los Osos was a very small town which included my girlfriend at the time who I was visiting (I had a motel room in San Luis Obispo while doing so). Needless to say, the time I spent there was fantastic, despite there being little to attract a tourist.

Stockholm, Sweden - Fairy-tale, Beautiful.
This is the only place I have travelled to that I would say is just as beautiful as New Zealand. It's a fairy tale location - a city spread across multiple islands in the middle of a lake. And it's every bit as beautiful as a fairy tale, too. And the people are gorgeous as well, they really aren't kidding when they say Swedish people are just beautiful (sup Rantz :aimsun:</>). I fully intend to go back there someday. Danielle and I went on a three day trip that was all expenses paid by my company after I won an award there, so we had set places to go to and set things to do. I'd be interested in going again with a little more freedom in what I do.

Buccholz, Germany - Small, Green.
I went there twice, it's a small town in Germany that was really nice to be in. I was there to visit a girlfriend at the time on the first occasion, and, uh, the same girl again shortly after we broke up (the trip was paid for and I was still in love, what else was I going to do? Heh). I enjoyed my times there outside of the obvious heartache situation on the second round. It was very green, which I like. Lots of trees and a kind of "in a forest" feel to the town.

Dublin, Ireland - Miserable, Rainy.
Okay, so I went there at a bad time or something, but I simply did not like Dublin. Bad weather, grumpy people, nothing like I expected to find in Ireland. Okay, I expected the weather to be average, but it was miserable and the people in Dublin seemed to reflect that. I have had better hospitality in London, and that's saying something. Overall, I imagine I just had a run of bad luck or something like it, but either way, my impression of Dublin was a massive let-down. However...

Outside of Dublin, Ireland - Stereotypically Irish, Lovely.
...outside of Dublin, when we (Mum and myself, back when she lived here) went on a coach trip to the various tourist posts outside of Dublin along with some small towns? That was lovely. Everything you would want from Ireland. The weather was still not great, but the people in the smaller towns were very welcoming. It included me sitting on a bench on a street in a small town. It was outside a shop or something, I'd just bought an ice cream if I remember rightly (the weather held up nicely at some hours, and when it did, it was hot enough). A drunk Irish guy in his 40s or 50s sat down next to me and started talking to me in what I can only describe as a rambling. I didn't understand a single word he said, but I am confident he wasn't speaking a foreign language. He was proper drunk. He was expressive, so you could get the general feeling of when to say "yeah" and "really?" etc, and it was hilarious. Anyway, at that moment, I felt I had truly been to Ireland. I was content.

Menorca, Iberian Islands, Spain - Hot, Mediterranean.
Gorgeous. Simply beautiful. Everything you would expect from a hot Spanish island in the Mediterranean, minus the huge number of tourists that you'll get in Majorca and Ibiza (the other Iberian Islands). I am so glad we went there, and I would go there again if I was a little more wealthy. But I want to travel to other places first. The weather, the water, the girls, the food, the animals, the scenery, the pools... just everything is lovely. I really want to get a group of people in Europe together so we can all chip in and spend a week in a villa there. It'd be awesome.

Cuchulainn
10-11-2011, 02:12 PM
You did not go at a bad time. Dublin & Dubliners are :bou::bou::bou::bou:s, worst city/town in Ireland. Horrible place. Coming from someone who was born & lived in West Belfast till he was 11, then North belfast till now, that's a mighty statement.

Pheesh
10-11-2011, 02:16 PM

I'll shove your IE up your exit hole, son. :)

Old Manus
10-11-2011, 03:03 PM
I was never much of a travelling kind of guy. Been to a few places though.

Europe
France: Argeles-sur-la-Mer, Somewhere on the Dordogne, Somewhere on the Loire, Metz, Montpellier
Italy: Venice
Turkey: Hisaronu, Dalaman
Germany: Heinsberg, Heilbronn, Stuttgart, Somewhere in Bavaria I was too drunk to remember the name of

England
London
Cardiff
Chester
Yorkshire
Plymouth

The Last Bastion of Satan's Own Archdemons in the Ninth Circle of Deepest Hell
Swansea

Jiro
10-12-2011, 12:28 AM
I'll shove your IE up your exit hole, son. :)

Wherever you are is automatically a'ight by me though :jess:

fire_of_avalon
10-12-2011, 01:00 AM
I been to Chuck E. Cheese. Back when it was called Showbiz Pizza.

Was alright.

NorthernChaosGod
10-12-2011, 06:15 AM

Was alright.
Wtf was that? o_O

Wolf Kanno
10-12-2011, 06:49 AM
^ Man I remember Showbiz Pizza. :love:

erikramza
10-12-2011, 07:21 AM
Cali, arizona, nevada, wasington, Louisiana, kentucky, Pennsylvania, Mississippi, texas, georgia.

Germany, kuwait, kyrgystan, afghanistan, ireland.

Pike
10-12-2011, 02:14 PM

Was alright.
Wtf was that? o_O

Back in the day there were two Chuck-E-Cheese style pizza chains. Pizza Time Theatre (invented by Nolan Bushnell, aka inventor of Atari and Pong. He also invented the Chuck-E-Cheese rat character. Yes they were invented by the same guy) and Showbiz Pizza, which was a pretty solid "clone" of it. They were competitors for a while and then merged and renamed themselves Chuck-E-Cheese.

I know way too much about Chuck-E-Cheese. Don't ask.

NorthernChaosGod
10-12-2011, 06:05 PM
Yes you do. :|

Pike
10-12-2011, 08:26 PM
Truthfully it's because a book called "The Ultimate History of Video Games" is my bible and they have this whole chapter devoted to Chuck E. Cheese for some reason. Otherwise I wouldn't know all of this crap. I'm not really THAT crazy.

The people who post on the Chuck E. Cheese fan forums and get excited over wearing a rat mask, on the other hand... (Yes that forum exists, I stumbled across it once. Yeah I dunno.)

AngelWings8
10-12-2011, 09:06 PM
US:
Ohio - Columbus, Cincinnati
Massachusetts - Boston
New Jersey - Newark
New York - New York
Rhode Island - Providence, Wakefield
Missouri - St. Louis and most of the suburbs, Columbia, Springfield, Branson, Kansas City
Iowa - Sioux City
Arkansas - Little Rock
Illinois - Champaign, South Beloit, Chicago and most of the suburbs?
Indiana - West Lafayette
Wisconsin - New Glarus, Lake Geneva, Merrimac
Minnesota - Minneapolis
Michigan - Kalamazoo
Texas - San Antonio, Houston
Louisiana - New Orleans
Florida - Orlando
New Mexico - Albuquerque, Santa Fe
Colorado - Breckenridge, Denver
Nevada - Las Vegas
California - San Francisco, San Jose
Washington - Seattle

Everywhere else:
Canada - Toronto, Vancouver
Bahamas
Taiwan - Taipei and Hualien
Japan - Tokyo, Kamakura, Mito, Itako
Germany - Frankfurt, Munich

I'm hoping we'll have a chance to go to Italy (or even Germany again) next year!