PDA

View Full Version : Turks

Pumpkin
10-13-2011, 01:12 AM
I feel stupid asking this, but where does this name come from? Does it stand for something?

Jiro
10-13-2011, 01:43 AM
Don't feel stupid, that's actually a good question. I'm not sure if it has any significance either though! Guess we'll wait for Wolf Kanno and his library of knowledge :D

Wolf Kanno
10-13-2011, 02:01 AM
It doesn't seem to stand for anything, none of the major key names are acronyms or have any meaning. Turks is just simply what they are called, same with SOLDIER, and same with AVALANCHE. Course its not like FF was known for actually explaining where their terminology comes from but unless someone like ShinGundam or The Crystal remembers the Ultimania's mentioning where they got the names, it's pretty safe to say its just there to sound cool.

Turk itself is just a short hand term for the ethnic people who live in Turkey. So your guess is as good as mine.

APolaris
10-13-2011, 06:28 AM
Although I doubt any relationship, there is a character nicknamed Turk in The Godfather.

MJN SEIFER
10-13-2011, 12:24 PM
I remember reading somewhere that it was "Tarx" originally, though what that means, I have no idea, but it explains the gramatical error "You're a Turks"

Pumpkin
10-13-2011, 08:26 PM
I thought it was general knowledge and I was the only one who didn't know.

This is bugging me so much.

Melissaur
10-14-2011, 08:25 AM
I think it's just what they use to call them a seperate faction of the government that has "no" affiliation to it. Kinda like the splinter cell in..well... Splinter Cell. They really just do what need to be done, even if it's dirty but this way the gov't cant be blamed for it.

Also! Turk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turk) interesting

Sephiroth
10-14-2011, 09:46 PM
I remember reading somewhere that it was "Tarx" originally, though what that means, I have no idea, but it explains the gramatical error "You're a Turks"

"Ta-ku-su", so yes, it could be "Tarx", "Tarks" or like it is "Turks" for example "Birth" or "Bird" is also written with the Katana "ba", so "Ba-su" and "Ba-do".

I have never read an official explanation of the Turks' name. "SOLDIER", "AVALANCHE", "WEAPON" and "JENOVA" are clear though.

For Wikipedia - I don't trust Wikipedia, so as long as I don't find, hear and or read an official explanation, Wikipedia is not enough for me. But it is quite possibly just a random name. Not all names in Final Fantasy have so much meaning.

Bubba
10-18-2011, 11:56 PM
Close guys, but no cigar...

TURKS actually stands for Terrorists Under Royal King Service

This was proven in the following link to the FF Underworld website

www.ffunderworld_ff7_theknowledge_turks_bubbaisfullofshit.com

I shouldn't drink on a Tuesday...

Jiro
10-19-2011, 12:27 AM
Not a bad effort though Bubba! :p

Kenshin IV
10-22-2011, 09:49 AM
Turks in World History - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjTiNF9Z9lc)

They are named after the Turkish Empire. I don't believe there is any real significance to it, as the Turks in the game are more like spies, but it sounds cool enough. Of course, there may be some significance to it that I'm overlooking -- I haven't really looked into it much.

Christmas
07-07-2022, 01:33 PM
Reno and the gang dun bang Turkeys?