PDA

View Full Version : Ico/Shadow of the Colossus

magemasher
10-13-2011, 12:33 PM
Just got these today in the post, started playing Ico and loving it, very different to any game I've ever played. I always came close to renting these 2 when they were on PS2 but I never did, glad I didn't because I don't think I would of appreciated Ico back then. Gonna give Shadow of Colossus a try now.

Have you played these games? what did you think of them?

Slothy
10-13-2011, 12:38 PM
Bought both when they came out on the PS2 and they are easily two of the best games I've ever played, and I've still never played anything else quite like them. I'm glad this collection came out because Ico only sold around 50,000 units I believe, which means a lot of people never played it. I'm looking forward to getting the HD versions for Christmas so I can pop them in again without having to pull out the PS2.

magemasher
10-13-2011, 12:57 PM
Really just 50,000 I'm surprised they had it in my blockbuster store. From what I've seen of Ico so far it's a simpleh idea that works incredibly well. I like that it is in Japanese with English subtitle. The music is superb also. Sound like my dad lol but 'they don't make them like this anymore'.

Flying Arrow
10-13-2011, 05:06 PM
Ico is a really good game and Shadow is probably one of my favourite games ever. Everything about Shadow is just... astounding. Especially its open world, empty by design but still one of the best open worlds to just explore in any game.

Bubba
10-13-2011, 06:55 PM
I'm pretty excited about getting these in HD as well. I've never played the originals but my friend lists them both in his top ten games.

Look forward to experiencing them!

Del Murder
10-13-2011, 07:42 PM
I'll probably get the collection around Christmas time. Really looking forward to playing these games since they get such acclaim.

Wolf Kanno
10-14-2011, 06:12 AM
Even though I own both on PS2, I may buy the HD collection just because they are that good. Easily some of the best games on the PS2. Shadow of the Colossus still has one of the most poignant reviews I've ever read that really drives home the idea of games as art.

Slothy
10-14-2011, 02:25 PM
Care to share that review? Not sure I ever saw the one you mean.

Wolf Kanno
10-14-2011, 08:49 PM
It was a magazine article so I'm not sure if they bothered to archive it on their website but it was from EGM I believe. Basically the reviewer talked about how he couldn't bring himself to finish the game, no because its bad, which he goes on to explain in detail on why its awesome, but instead he talks about how killing the Colossus seemed wrong to him, instead of a victorious fanfare, you're treated with a slow sad melody and some increasingly disturbing bits. He basically just felt it was morally wrong to finish the game because of what it asked you to do.

erikramza
10-14-2011, 11:48 PM
I liked Ico more than shadow... to me the idea of it was much more interesting. These two games 'trick' you into admiring the small, delicate aspects of remarkable detail that are easily over-looked in faster, flashy action titles. I can only imagine the HD versions. What an outstanding release idea.

Is this coming out as a precursor, hype game to that one guardian, birddog... thing game? Or is this a 'just because' deal?

Wolf Kanno
10-14-2011, 11:59 PM
Both really, the HD collection does come with some director's commentary and some sneak peak footage of Trico

Marky Tee
10-16-2011, 01:38 AM
i've played ico and loved it
will eventually get around to SotC

Flying Arrow
10-18-2011, 05:33 PM
My PS2 needed some love and I wanted to play something that didn't gray my hair (Dark Souls) so I popped in Ico. Still a really good game. Very enjoyable but fuck those fucking ghosts.

DMKA
10-19-2011, 04:25 AM
I gave in and picked up the collection a couple days ago. Haven't played it yet but soon will.

I'm hoping they're as amazing as everyone says.

Loony BoB
10-19-2011, 11:30 AM
...I should really finish Ico someday. I've not touched it in ages.