PDA

View Full Version : This band makes me wish I was deaf.

Raian the Fallen
10-15-2011, 05:21 AM
;__________;

Black Veil Brides "Knives and Pens" Standby Records - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEb3GQqdHD4)

Why are bands like this so popular?

Laddy
10-15-2011, 05:33 AM
Because people are pretentious douchebags with no understanding of evaluating music objectively and therefore think anything that causes their miserable lives to seem somewhat interesting must be God. As a result they get the attention they so desperately crave by liking low-quality music instead of showing any intellectual or creative initiative.

There. Lady Gaga can suck my balls, too. xD

Raian the Fallen
10-15-2011, 05:38 AM
Because people are pretentious douchebags with no understanding of evaluating music objectively and therefore think anything that causes their miserable lives to seem somewhat interesting must be God. As a result they get the attention they so desperately crave by liking low-quality music instead of showing any intellectual or creative initiative.

Quoted for fucking truth.

Pike
10-15-2011, 05:39 AM
I freaking love Lady Gaga.

Laddy
10-15-2011, 05:50 AM
Oh, it's not her music I have issue with. It's decent enough, not substantial or anything, but it's harmless. I can't take her seriously as an artist as she wants me to, but that's besides the point.

It's her and her uberfans I have issue with. She propels a message of elitism and self-importance that I just can't stand. You like her and you're an enlightened, tolerant saint. But if you don't like her? You're a homophobe! You're not intelligent enough to understand her! She's unique! She's different! She's underground! She sells millions of records! She admits she's inspired by other artists, but if you insist she sounds even remotely like someone else than you're a jealous idiot! She's a genius! She's so smurfing original! She shows up in a dress made of meat! It's not disgusting; it's art than you're too mainstream to understand!

Even though I'm a gay man, I think she comes off as very Bono-esque with her philanthropy. Legitimately well-meaning, but not above using it sell her image. She supports gay rights just like a large proportion of the developed world! She's edgy! She's different! She's better than you!

I'm half serious here, but I think she's a poor role model. She's indeed very smart and legitimately well-meaning in some of her efforts. She also has a huge ego. She gives many of her fans a feeling of self-esteem. However, it's self-esteem mostly on being so smurfing original.

/rant

Pheesh
10-15-2011, 06:18 AM
Can we turn this into a stupid bands thread!? :D

I had tears of laughter the first time I saw this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggGEWw_ocUQ) (make sure you stick it out to the 2:50 mark ;D)

Laddy
10-15-2011, 06:41 AM
Brokencyde and Hollywood Undead.

Raian the Fallen
10-15-2011, 07:18 AM
Can we turn this into a stupid bands thread!? :D

I had tears of laughter the first time I saw this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggGEWw_ocUQ) (make sure you stick it out to the 2:50 mark ;D)

http://cache.ohinternet.com/images/b/ba/Crabdance.gif

To be fair, I love Attack Attack!, even though they are stupidly generic. My guilty pleasure, I guess.

Stupid bands that shouldn't exist: Brokencyde, Hollywood Undead, Blood on the Dancefloor, and Black Veil Brides.

NorthernChaosGod
10-15-2011, 09:19 AM
;__________;

Black Veil Brides "Knives and Pens" Standby Records - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEb3GQqdHD4)

What? That guitar riff is sweet. Drop the vocals and it could be a good song.

There is nothing redeeming about Attack Attack though.

Pike
10-15-2011, 03:33 PM
Oh, it's not her music I have issue with. It's decent enough, not substantial or anything, but it's harmless. I can't take her seriously as an artist as she wants me to, but that's besides the point.

It's her and her uberfans I have issue with. She propels a message of elitism and self-importance that I just can't stand. You like her and you're an enlightened, tolerant saint. But if you don't like her? You're a homophobe! You're not intelligent enough to understand her! She's unique! She's different! She's underground! She sells millions of records! She admits she's inspired by other artists, but if you insist she sounds even remotely like someone else than you're a jealous idiot! She's a genius! She's so smurfing original! She shows up in a dress made of meat! It's not disgusting; it's art than you're too mainstream to understand!

Even though I'm a gay man, I think she comes off as very Bono-esque with her philanthropy. Legitimately well-meaning, but not above using it sell her image. She supports gay rights just like a large proportion of the developed world! She's edgy! She's different! She's better than you!

I'm half serious here, but I think she's a poor role model. She's indeed very smart and legitimately well-meaning in some of her efforts. She also has a huge ego. She gives many of her fans a feeling of self-esteem. However, it's self-esteem mostly on being so smurfing original.

/rant

The thing with Gaga, as far as I can tell, is that she's completely guileless. She genuinely believes that she is being helpful. Sure, some of it comes off as tacky (I thought it was in slightly poor taste for her to try and write a gay anthem when she's not exactly gay... I mean, she's bi, I guess, but who isn't? You know?) but she honestly believes she's helping. And for that reason, I find it hard to fault her for that. Her fans I don't have much experience with so I can't really comment on them.

Ultimately though I don't put much thought into meta-Gaga, I just listen to her music on repeat forever and bounce around. I love "terrible" music. You all would hurl if you saw my Last.fm. And I'm proud of that fact.

P.S. I still love you Laddy <3

Mirage
10-15-2011, 04:13 PM
What is your lastfm?

Pike
10-15-2011, 04:41 PM
What is your lastfm?

Pikestaff (http://www.last.fm/user/Pikestaff)

DMKA
10-15-2011, 04:53 PM

pretentious douchebags

low-quality music
WHY HELLO THERE POT LET ME INTRODUCE YOU TO MY FRIEND KETTLE.

People like different things. I personally think Garth Brooks, John Denver, Neil Young, Hank Williams Jr. and Kenny Chesney are all awful, as is all the country music I've ever heard. I think it's painful to listen to and as a dumb teenager wondered why so many people like it and think all the aformentioned people are geniuses.

Now that I am older, I understand why people like different things and I can appreciate it for what it is. I still can't stand to listen to it though. And for the record, Lady Gaga is wonderful. :<3:

If you really want to see a pretentious douchebag, just talk to one of those people who is all like "I HATE EVERYTHING THAT'S POPULAR OR MAINSTREAM CUZ ITS LIKE TOTALLY NOT ART BUT MY NEUTRAL MILK HOTEL CD FELL FROM THE HEAVENS OFF GODS KITCHEN TABLE", they're hilarious.

Pike
10-15-2011, 05:11 PM
John Denver

is amazing.

Madame Adequate
10-15-2011, 07:30 PM
The point of Lady Gaga is to revel in unselfconscious spectacle.

NorthernChaosGod
10-16-2011, 02:57 AM
The point of Lady Gaga is to revel in unselfconscious spectacle.
So... nothing to do with music?

Laddy
10-16-2011, 05:39 AM
People take what I say way too seriously.

My issue is not with Lady Gaga's music per se, but there is a loud and very vocal part of her fanbase that are obnoxiously obsessed with her. I understand she means well has a strong sense of appeal to many people. I just think her fanbase can be overzealous and she can be desperate at times. It's not a bad thing, but it'll alienate some people. Like me. To some it's edge, to others its self-promotion. I think it's a bit of both.

And my first post was mostly a joke. Everyone has a favorite sort of music, and while there is a more objective way to look at music; sometimes people just want to express themselves through music. Who am I to knock a part of their identity? It's what they like and it's what I like.

And the Black Veil Brides' guitarist is actually pretty decent. I just don't like creaming at all.

erikramza
10-16-2011, 12:10 PM
Nikki Minaj is talentless. I don't know... how. Or why?

P.s. Nirvana sucks ass. Dave Grul(sp. Don't care) is the only good to come of it.

*Devore*
10-16-2011, 01:01 PM
I quite liked the Black Veil Brides and Attack Attack songs posted, solely for the music though. If you ignore the vocals then it turns into a pretty good inturmental.

I also like Hollywood Undead because of this extremely rude and stupid song.
Turn off the lights (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7_uEetub-A) <--Shouldn't be listened to unless your over 18 or if you already have a very foul mouth.

blackmage_nuke
10-16-2011, 01:23 PM
Funny but only barely relevant (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5-rGN0ou_4)

Anyway different people have different tastes but I dont like people who will just dismiss a band or song before they hear it.

erikramza
10-16-2011, 01:58 PM
Funny but only barely relevant (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5-rGN0ou_4)

Anyway different people have different tastes but I dont like people who will just dismiss a band or song before they hear it.

I can only disagree with a 'genre' argument.
I don't need to hear every country artist/band to know that I inherently don't like country music in general.

Other than that; yeah, close minded people are jerks!

Pike
10-16-2011, 02:38 PM
This thread needs a nice infusion of Johnny Cash.

Old Manus
10-16-2011, 04:18 PM
It's tough being a hip hop listener on the internet

Lone Wolf Leonhart
10-16-2011, 05:46 PM
;__________;

What's worse is when people have a "Holier than thou" attitude towards music they don't like. Oh wait.

I've seen a couple of interviews from the Black Veil Brides. They seem to genuinely love the music they make and they sincerely love that their fans can connect to their songs.

This is the type of music that's targeted towards lonely, outcast, 15 year olds who just want to feel a sense of connection with people they can relate to. As luck would have it, those are the fans they tend to draw in. Sounds great to me.

What's the problem again?

NorthernChaosGod
10-16-2011, 06:54 PM
;__________;

What's worse is when people have a "Holier than thou" attitude towards music they don't like. Oh wait.

I've seen a couple of interviews from the Black Veil Brides. They seem to genuinely love the music they make and they sincerely love that their fans can connect to their songs.

This is the type of music that's targeted towards lonely, outcast, 15 year olds who just want to feel a sense of connection with people they can relate to. As luck would have it, those are the fans they tend to draw in. Sounds great to me.

The vocals are awful.

Mercen-X
10-22-2011, 07:35 PM
Lady Gagga /rantlol. She's such a little girl.

Attack Attack (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggGEWw_ocUQ) (make sure you stick it out to the 2:50 mark ;D) So they can't decide whether they're demons or an '80s band.

I personally can't except growling as a form of music... never have... never will. That's like trying to pass nails on a chalkboard as an instrument.

I've always said that I like and will listen to any music. I was raised Christian but grew up listening to mostly ACDC, Motley Crue, Bon Jovi, and Metallica. I didn't think rap was an acceptible form of music at first (Will Smith altered my opinion on that and then that little brat Eminem came along and claimed Big Will was dissing the "gender" of rap.)
I would say I'm not a big fan of classic country either. I like one song by Lady Antebellum (are they country?)
My cousin had a rock band for a short time and their lead vocalist, Ricky, sang by "demon growl" and I hated him. I think he grew out of it though.

What was my point? Well, I'll listen to any music, but even I have limitations. When a vocalist starts growling for long periods of time, I lose interest in the music and begin to develop IBS.

Boney King
10-25-2011, 04:59 AM
Blood on the Dance Floor are just about the worst band I've ever listened to.

I Don't Need A Name
10-25-2011, 06:15 PM
Y'see, I quite like Black Veil Brides... however, Attack Attack! are terrible (Attack! Attack! are much better). Hollywood Undead definately tops the list for being the worst 'band' mentioned (band in inverted commas because all they really are is a bunch of guys with lameass masks calling themselves stupid names)

Raian the Fallen
10-29-2011, 03:44 AM
;__________;
The vocals are awful.
Ungodly awful.

Anyway, the reason I can't stand this band is because of their fan's opinions of them - it seems these days that the sole reason a band is popular among teenage girls is because the members are attractive. That really ticks me off; if you don't appreciate music because of the way it sounds to you, then you can't really say you appreciate it. Read the comments on ANY Black Veil Brides video: "omg andy sixx is so hawt" "I Love Andy xD <3" "I will comment for my whole life just to say Andy Six is DAMN SEXY!!!!!!!" I understand and appreciate the fact that BVB has a positive message (to be honest, I didn't know they even had a message in their music whatsoever) so I guess it isn't entirely their fault.

The vocals are still awful.

CimminyCricket
10-29-2011, 11:28 PM
I can honestly say that I can sit and enjoy almost everything. I had a terrible time with Attack Attack though, that was just ridiculous. As long as a song has something that I can recognize as rhythm ( I have a huge issue being able to listen to songs where all they do is bang on a drum as hard and as fast as they can while the singer tries to scream with it) I don't mind it at all. I am a huge fan of Lamb of God (the way those two men play guitar is just amazing), but I can also listen to Nikki Minaj, Katy Perry and Rihanna (I can sing their songs too!) and I also tend to only drink at Country bars. The only two types of music I have the most trouble listening to is Gospel (only because to me all the lyrics are the same, with the exception of a few really decent songs, one of which I know is called like Adonai or something) and Screamo (because of that drum wailing scream in time with the slam crap).

NeoCracker
10-29-2011, 11:42 PM
Lady Gaga has songs that are blatent rip off of Madonna Songs, Video's that blatently rip off Madonna Videos, and the creative Genius that actually thought Judas was a well made Metaphor.

The only thing Lady Gaga has brought to the table is a bunch of people trying to imitate her style and failing horribley, not that it was good or new to begin with.

And unrelated to the music itself was that laughable interview where she said that this image she portrayed wasn't phony, but really her, and had I tits to laugh off, surely they would be on the floor right now.

That being said, she is still leagues better then Brokencyde.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
10-30-2011, 01:50 AM
I'd like to throw my hat into the ring on this whole "I don't like music where the singer screams" deal.

Here's the thing I think these singers are trying to project. Some people talk or sing when they're in a good mood, and some people scream or at least feel like screaming when they're feeling mad or upset.

I think it's just a form of release. Some people scream when they're mad or upset, why couldn't they do it while playing a song? For me personally, I listen to plenty of musicians who scream for some of their lyrics. I think it's the type of music you get into when you're a young, lonely teenager. After listening to the music for so long, you prefer it. (Also, you can actually understand what they're saying after you hear this type of music for so long). You know how some people sing a sad song when they're upset? Think of it like that, but more extreme. It's just another form of expression, no different than playing clean or distorted guitars. It's just preference.

It depends who the band is, though. When I hear a lot of the music from screamo bands you guys listed, my impulse thought is "Wow, this guy's pretentious. He's screaming because he's an idiot". So I understand where everyones attitude towards it are coming from.

If you want to know whether the guy is screaming because he's an idiot or if he's screaming because he's just really passionate about that kind of music, listen to interviews. Do they sound intelligent? Are they just idiots? Pay attention to how they answer questions.

I'd like all of you to watch this music video. Dir en grey is the perfect example of a band who screams some of the time, sings some of the time, and the lyrics have a very powerful message. This song I think represents all that quite well:

Dir en Grey- Vinushka [PV] - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdceudJz8jA&feature=fvwrel)

NorthernChaosGod
10-30-2011, 02:05 AM
I just want to point out that my problem is not the screaming (my favorite bands all scream), but the quality of the screaming. It's like when Lil Wayne decided he could play guitar.
Lil Wayne plays the guitar live at FAMU Homecoming!! - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgXL20IoyHM)

Their screaming is to real screaming, as Lil Wayne is to real guitar.

Raian the Fallen
10-30-2011, 05:28 AM
I just want to point out that my problem is not the screaming (my favorite bands all scream), but the quality of the screaming. It's like when Lil Wayne decided he could play guitar.

Their screaming is to real screaming, as Lil Wayne is to real guitar.

THIS.

Rabbits on the Run
10-30-2011, 06:00 AM
Lady Gaga has songs that are blatent rip off of Madonna Songs, Video's that blatently rip off Madonna Videos, and the creative Genius that actually thought Judas was a well made Metaphor.

The only thing Lady Gaga has brought to the table is a bunch of people trying to imitate her style and failing horribley, not that it was good or new to begin with.

And unrelated to the music itself was that laughable interview where she said that this image she portrayed wasn't phony, but really her, and had I tits to laugh off, surely they would be on the floor right now.

That being said, she is still leagues better then Brokencyde.

Lady Gaga.

She makes pretty good music for rather generic RNB/Pop, but her sound has done little that wasn't done before by Madonna or Gwen Stefani. :jess: And her whole image comes off as a bit too try hard. It's clear that she has feelings for the gay community, but count me as a member of it that doesn't really think those feelings are being expressed properly.

Worst bands? I haven't really hard anything that I couldn't at least partly understand the appeal of. I love some country, but I do think Lady Antebellum are massively over rated.

Oh and the Beatles. I will be hated, but they are so massively over rated that it isn't even funny.

demondude
10-30-2011, 03:33 PM
I went to a local gig on Friday and, it being Halloween season, all the 'death metal' bands came along. They were crap and one of them wore chinos - the hallmark of the bellend. They also screamed into a microphone which was great and stuff but I couldn't catch the lyrics which apprently consisted of 'DEATH' and ':bou::bou::bou::bou:' repeated in rapid succession. So brilliant.

I just hate Oli Sykes. What an fucking knob.

Pike
10-30-2011, 03:41 PM
I think my favorite thing about Lady Gaga is that she's bringing the 80s back. And we all know that the 80s were the best decade for music.

NorthernChaosGod
10-30-2011, 10:47 PM
I went to a local gig on Friday and, it being Halloween season, all the 'death metal' bands came along. They were crap and one of them wore chinos - the hallmark of the bellend. They also screamed into a microphone which was great and stuff but I couldn't catch the lyrics which apprently consisted of 'DEATH' and ':bou::bou::bou::bou:' repeated in rapid succession. So brilliant.

I just hate Oli Sykes. What an fucking knob.
Bring Me The Horizon is crap, not death metal. And that guy totally looks like a knob. :|

Boney King
10-30-2011, 11:16 PM

I just hate Oli Sykes. What an smurfing knob.
Bring Me The Horizon is crap, not death metal. And that guy totally looks like a knob. :|
I think their most recent album is not too bad at all, but Oli Sykes is still a pretentious cocksucker.

Pheesh
10-31-2011, 03:57 AM
I think my favorite thing about Lady Gaga is that she's bringing the 80s back. And we all know that the 80s were the best decade for music.

You should be banned from listening to anymore music for saying that.

Raian the Fallen
10-31-2011, 04:33 AM
Oli Sykes is still a pretentious cocksucker.
Agreed.

I didn't care for their new album either.

NorthernChaosGod
10-31-2011, 04:40 AM

You should be banned from listening to anymore music for saying that.
Saying the 80s was the best or saying Gaga is bringing back the 80s?

Pheesh
10-31-2011, 10:06 AM
The "80's was the best decade" thing, I don't listen to Gaga enough to know if she is or care. Although if she is then she should be stopped...ASAP.

Old Manus
10-31-2011, 11:13 AM
>Implying the 80s didn't single handedly kill popular music

NeoCracker
10-31-2011, 03:30 PM
In Defense of the 80's, It did give us Talking Heads, and Billy Joel had a good number of hits in the 80's.

The scope is limited, yes, but there's still a silver lining.

Madame Adequate
10-31-2011, 06:59 PM
>implying the 80s weren't the best decade of music ever

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA fuck you guys, seriously.

Cyndi Lauper, David Bowie, Duran Duran, Depeche Mode, Men at Work, Blondie, a-ha, The Psychadelic Furs, Talk Talk, Adam and the Ants, Siouxsie and the Banshees, A Flock of Seagulls, Gary Numan, Aneka, Corey Hart, Karma Chameleon (The rest of Culture Club's stuff sucks but), Spandau Ballet, Kim Wilde, Tears for Fears, R.E.M., Frankie Goes To Hollywood, They Might Be Giants, Nine Inch Nails, Night Ranger, Queen, Europe, The Human League, Quiet Riot, Journey, Run DMC, The Beastie Boys, Eurythmics, Kraftwerk, The Buggles, Michael Jackson when he was actually good, E.L.O., Nena, I could carry on but I cba.

If Lady Gaga brings the 80s back she'll go from being merely the best artist performing today to an actual manifestation of divine benevolence.

NeoCracker
10-31-2011, 07:08 PM

Cyndi Lauper, David Bowie, Duran Duran, Depeche Mode, Men at Work, Blondie, a-ha, The Psychadelic Furs, Talk Talk, Adam and the Ants, Siouxsie and the Banshees, A Flock of Seagulls, Gary Numan, Aneka, Corey Hart, Karma Chameleon (The rest of Culture Club's stuff sucks but), Spandau Ballet, Kim Wilde, Tears for Fears, R.E.M., Frankie Goes To Hollywood, They Might Be Giants, Nine Inch Nails, Night Ranger, Queen, Europe, The Human League, Quiet Riot, Journey, Run DMC, The Beastie Boys, Eurythmics, Kraftwerk, The Buggles, Michael Jackson when he was actually good, E.L.O., Nena, I could carry on but I cba.

If Lady Gaga brings the 80s back she'll go from being merely the best artist performing today to an actual manifestation of divine benevolence.

I couldn't get into him, but I'll give you David Bowie, he is good.

Men at Work, Blondie, TMBG, Queen, and Michael too. (I swore Queen was 70's.) Only real good Run DMC was Walk this way.

Pike
10-31-2011, 07:14 PM
I would do questionable things to Ivan Doroschuk from Men Without Hats.

Men Without Hats - Where Do The Boys Go Official Video - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T3N6a24A9I)

NorthernChaosGod
10-31-2011, 07:52 PM

10/10. Would rage again.

NeoCracker
10-31-2011, 07:55 PM
On my list include Beastie Boys and Buggles, I missed them. :p

Rabbits on the Run
10-31-2011, 07:55 PM

I thought she was just making people purchase Madonna's back catalog?

Madame Adequate
10-31-2011, 08:23 PM

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA smurf you guys, seriously.

10/10. Would rage again.

:| Seriously Jules making fun of you is fun and all but you're really asking for an actual severe ripping into right here.

NorthernChaosGod
10-31-2011, 10:01 PM
http://i39.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/6riwar.gif

Madame Adequate
10-31-2011, 11:48 PM
http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy178/Automilf/Tyrion_slaps_Joffrey.gif

I think you can infer who is who in this.

You are Joffrey. I am Tyrion.

NorthernChaosGod
11-01-2011, 12:08 AM
The longer I look at that, the weirder that left handed slap looks.

Pheesh
11-01-2011, 05:14 PM
Dude, the 80's sucked and it's not even fair to try and lump NiN into that horrible list (although I agree with NeoCracker on Bowie).

demondude
11-01-2011, 06:02 PM
An 80's list without The Smiths. I think everyone should leave and think about what they've done.

Boney King
11-01-2011, 10:24 PM
80's is good for indie and punk, but for pop it really is a fucking wasteland.

Flying Arrow
11-04-2011, 04:31 AM
4 pages of Lady Gaga discussion? Jesus, people.

Here's my submission: Lou Reed & Metallica: The View - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LWtb621DRg)

Normally I wouldn't even give Metallica (or Lou Reed) the time of day to annoy me. I usually take music far too seriously to bother listening to an act two decades past relevant, but this new song and album is so hilariously awful that you all need to hear it so we can all have a laugh, slap each other on the backs, and stop talking about smurfin' Lady Gaga.

80's is good for indie and punk, but for pop it really is a smurfing wasteland.

There was also a lot of good prog and metal, too. Metallica, ironically, was excellent in the 80s.

Pheesh
11-04-2011, 09:31 AM
Rofl, is that the one with "I am the table?" I nearly shat myself laughing the first time I heard that.

Flying Arrow
11-04-2011, 04:33 PM
That's the one. I can almost respect it for being experimental, but... god just listen to it. It's almost like they didn't bother listening to it themselves before releasing it.

Rabbits on the Run
11-04-2011, 05:43 PM
Rofl, is that the one with "I am the table?" I nearly shat myself laughing the first time I heard that.

It's no worse than "I am the Walrus"

Pike
11-04-2011, 06:11 PM

Which is the best Beatles song.

Boney King
11-04-2011, 08:36 PM

There was also a lot of good prog and metal, too. Metallica, ironically, was excellent in the 80s.
Not too familiar with 80's prog, I always thought it kind of peaked in the 70's. But yeah some great metal too, Slayer and Maiden fuck yeah.

I Don't Need A Name
11-06-2011, 08:36 PM

Which is the best Beatles song.
Wait...The Beatles made good songs?

Yeargdribble
01-31-2012, 07:43 PM
Discussions like this drive me crazy. People's opinions on music seem to have jack to do with music. All anyone is talking about is the way the artists dress or act. Why does it even matter? It seems like people spend more energy hating Lady Gaga or Justin Bieber than they do just enjoying music.

Most people seem to like groups that they identify with in some way while hating groups they don't identify with, or whom they see as identifying with a particular culture they hate. You hate goths, so you hate the music they might listen to and so on.

That's fine. But can we stop pretending any of this has tit to do with music and just admit it's tribalistic BS. The music isn't really any different anyway. Someone can say they hate X group but love Y group. In most of these cases I could probably find a song they have roughly in common in terms chord progression and structure.

Sure, there are objectively bad bands and there are plenty of talentless hacks who just got popular because they have a look. But if you're going to go bashing some certain group or artist, realize how much YOU are part of the problem. Musically talented artists don't make it big. A certain image makes it big. You can hate one type of image, but you're probably buying into another image because you identify with it and then saying you love that type of music.

So yeah, what's so bad about the band in the original link? Are they too goth? Do they wear too much make-up? Do you hate the screaming? What the hell does that have to do with music? They play the same i-VI-VII-i progression you can find in 100s of other songs and they have a relatively catchy guitar lick. Nothing special, but nothing worth going deaf over.

So let's just admit we're talking about the image that we hate. If you want to talk about bad music, how about pulling out something objectively terrible out like any number of artists singing without all of the studio work to make them sound good. Even then, there have been some really catchy songs by artists/groups who can't actually sing (BEP come to mind).

If you want to still claim that you're judging music and that somehow your music is objectively superior to all other, I'd love to hear some of it and a reason why you think it's so awesome.

NorthernChaosGod
01-31-2012, 07:48 PM
How is not liking the screaming not about the music? :confused:

Yeargdribble
01-31-2012, 08:11 PM

I guess the screaming could be. It's just a tone color like any other and some people won't like it. But it's sort of like saying Take Five (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwNrmYRiX_o) is a horrible piece of music because you don't like the sound of a saxophone or that all Metallica music is terrible because you don't like the sound of guitar.

These are judgements about timbre rather than about the music itself. Sure, it's a component part, but dislike of a certain tone color is very subjective and I suspect it has more to do with the dislike of that particular groups.

Also, there's nothing inherently musically vacuous about screaming. It's an interesting use of a different sound. People tend to write it off as noise used by talentless retards, but doing it well isn't easy and even though it's not always my cup of tea, I respect what it takes to be able to do it well. It's very similar to rap in that way. People will write of rap quite often. A music teacher of mine once said, "Rap is music for those who can't." What an ignorant lady. Does she know what skill it takes to freestyle cleverly and have the breath control to manage all of that off the top of your head? I'm also not super into rap, but I can respect a freestyler the same way I can respect any instrumentalist improvising a solo.

TL;DR - It's just another instrument and disliking a particular piece based on your dislike of a particular instrument is sort of silly.

Boney King
01-31-2012, 08:39 PM

I guess the screaming could be. It's just a tone color like any other and some people won't like it. But it's sort of like saying Take Five (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwNrmYRiX_o) is a horrible piece of music because you don't like the sound of a saxophone or that all Metallica music is terrible because you don't like the sound of guitar.

These are judgements about timbre rather than about the music itself. Sure, it's a component part, but dislike of a certain tone color is very subjective and I suspect it has more to do with the dislike of that particular groups.

Also, there's nothing inherently musically vacuous about screaming. It's an interesting use of a different sound. People tend to write it off as noise used by talentless retards, but doing it well isn't easy and even though it's not always my cup of tea, I respect what it takes to be able to do it well. It's very similar to rap in that way. People will write of rap quite often. A music teacher of mine once said, "Rap is music for those who can't." What an ignorant lady. Does she know what skill it takes to freestyle cleverly and have the breath control to manage all of that off the top of your head? I'm also not super into rap, but I can respect a freestyler the same way I can respect any instrumentalist improvising a solo.

TL;DR - It's just another instrument and disliking a particular piece based on your dislike of a particular instrument is sort of silly.
Can I print this out and show it to everybody I ever talk to about music?

NorthernChaosGod
01-31-2012, 11:05 PM

I don't know if you read all the posts here, but I just find the screaming to be awful. I like screaming in general, I just think that one sucks. It's more like having awesome music with a shitty singer doing the vocals in my opinion. I wouldn't like someone singing off key either.

Yeargdribble
02-01-2012, 06:35 AM
I wasn't really bothered by the screaming. I thought it was okay. Perhaps it's not to your personal liking. I'm not scholar on the quality of screaming voices, but I know that there are lots of different ways of singing well. You can have a nasally pop sound, an operatic sound, a sound for musicals, a sound for choral music. So many different qualities that aren't necessarily bad, just different (though they can be bad when they are used in the wrong context like Nick Jonas' horrible nasal pop and whining in Les Mis).

I figure it's not so different with screaming. It didn't really stand out as bad to me, though it was a little less hoarse and impressive than some of the screaming I've listened to.

BTW, your sig makes this conversation more funny to me for some reason. Fluttershy FTW

I Don't Need A Name
02-04-2012, 05:14 PM
Hear Hear on the Nick Jonas comment. That was a horrid murder of that part :[

And I kind of agree with the statement of your music teacher, but with a bit more backing up. Yes, some rap isn't half bad, and I can accept the talent behind it. What I can't accept is the brainless, nonsensical lyrics that accompany it, and how most mainstream rap involves 0 education and constant recollection about your 'Bitches' (Jay-Z coming to mind here)

Personally, I like BVB. And hey, at least they're doing something interesting with their appearances

The Man
02-04-2012, 11:14 PM
4 pages of Lady Gaga discussion? Jesus, people.

Here's my submission: Lou Reed & Metallica: The View - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LWtb621DRg)

Normally I wouldn't even give Metallica (or Lou Reed) the time of day to annoy me. I usually take music far too seriously to bother listening to an act two decades past relevant, but this new song and album is so hilariously awful that you all need to hear it so we can all have a laugh, slap each other on the backs, and stop talking about smurfin' Lady Gaga.

There was also a lot of good prog and metal, too. Metallica, ironically, was excellent in the 80s.I have concluded that Lou Reed and Metallica were trolling us with that album. It's not the first time Lou Reed has trolled his fans (see: Metal Machine Music).

I kind of liked the last track but nothing else struck me as interesting enough to bother going back and listening to again, and even the last track I still haven't listened to again, like two months later. Also whoever mastered it should be shot. It's not as horrible as Death Magnetic's mastering job, but it's still atrocious.