PDA

View Full Version : Who actually named her Dagger?

Raian the Fallen
10-16-2011, 07:31 AM
I've never met anyone who changed Garnet's name to Dagger. It just doesn't fit her in my opinion. I just keep her name Garnet.

Kyros
10-16-2011, 09:13 AM
I sometimes leave it Dagger in playthroughs, but originally I gave her my own name that I wanted it to be :)

Fynn
10-16-2011, 10:14 AM
I liked Dagger.

Mirage
10-16-2011, 10:58 AM
It's always Garnet for me.

Rantz
10-16-2011, 11:14 AM
I mostly keep Dagger even though I'm not a big fan. On occasion I've changed it back to Garnet, and other times I've given her back her original name, Sarah.

Gamblet
10-16-2011, 02:45 PM
Well, I kept her as Dagger until I did the sidequest at the Eidolon Wall, then I named her Sarah. But then it got too weird and I changed her name back to Dagger.

Depression Moon
10-16-2011, 05:57 PM
I did on at least one playthrough. Keeping default names feel more authentic or cannon to me.

Remon
10-16-2011, 06:34 PM
I did.
Dagger is sexier.

Lone Wolf Leonhart
10-16-2011, 06:41 PM
When I was a kid I would always name my characters after people I knew in real life, but now at the ripe old age of 20 I just leave them with their default names. The only exception that I can think of is Tidus in FFX, because they never say his name anyway.

It's weird to go back to an old save file and see that you named the main female in the game after a girl you had a crush on in the 3rd grade.

MJN SEIFER
10-16-2011, 08:31 PM
I usually rechanged it to Garnet. Having a change her name made no sense to me even in storyline to be honest.

Depression Moon
10-17-2011, 12:52 AM
You know that she was a princess right and everyone on that continent knew her name?

Hollycat
10-17-2011, 01:27 AM
Lyrica is what I've always called her

Carl the Llama
10-17-2011, 01:27 AM
I never named her Dagger, can't stand the "name", games that name people after normal household items always gets my back up (Dart from Legend of the Dragoon anyone?) I played LotD just before XI and then I expected a stream of item names for people, I thought next thing it would be Bottle or Sieve or some equally weird name.

Freya
10-17-2011, 04:05 AM
I often just spelled her name backwards. Reggad heh

Jiro
10-17-2011, 05:07 AM
Bottle or Sieve or some equally weird name.

I can dig Sieve :p

I named her Dagger because I could not be bothered trying to think up a better alias. It also worked better when she cuts her hair an all that jazz. She's all like "can I have that dagger, you know the one" and it has less of an effect if they were like "how about THIS NAME INSTEAD K?"

Arylett Dawnsborough
10-17-2011, 09:52 AM
I mostly also keep default names in FFs. So it was always Dagger. Except for these two times where I named her Arylett because I was naming the characters after characters in an RP of mine. I really liked that word and the way it sounded since I first played the game anyway, so that's also why I kept it.

MJN SEIFER
10-17-2011, 12:52 PM
You know that she was a princess right and everyone on that continent knew her name? Yeah, I get why the "Dagger" storyline was done, but the danger of people realizing she was Garnet never really surfaced, and when it did, it was characters who would never have been fooled by a false name anyway. I probably wouldn't have minded if she didn't a "default flase name", and we could just decide what to call her if we chose to - the fact that Zidane just so happened to drop his dagger seemed too contrived, and the scene was basically "I will be known as this random object I just picked up from now on" (one person did a photoshop of that scene where Zidane drops a condom, so Garnet gets called that, showing how silly the scene is). It's just, a storyline where a character has to hide her idenity with a false name is a nice idea on paper, but it just never worked in my eyes, and at best should have been something attempted in one moment, and then forgotten. The fact that Zidane still called her Dagger in the ending just made an otherwise beutiful and romantic scene look stupid, unless we're meant to assume that as they both chose the name it's supposed to have a deeper meaning or something (like it's a special nickname or something).

Jiro
10-17-2011, 02:06 PM
supposed to have a deeper meaning or something (like it's a special nickname or something).

That was the point. To Zidane, Garnet was not Princess or Queen Garnet at any point. He didn't love the rich fancy uptown girl. He liked Dagger, the girl who worked hard at seeming common and who got up to shenanigans with him etc etc. This is most evident when he gets hammered when Garnet ascends then throne. He's not interested in that shit.

Kyros
10-18-2011, 05:15 AM
Its not like I looked at the name often anyway since Eiko's a billion times the character in battle Garnet wishes she could be.

Gamblet
10-18-2011, 01:50 PM
Its not like I looked at the name often anyway since Eiko's a billion times the character in battle Garnet wishes she could be.

Garnet has Odin. :D

I always pick my party for the looks and stuff, not the best characters. Garnet's trance outfit looks good.

Jiro
10-18-2011, 02:59 PM
How often would you see Trance mode Garnet though? I think I've seen it twice, ever xD

Depression Moon
10-18-2011, 04:27 PM
Yeah, I think on average I get it once per playthrough.

Gamblet
10-18-2011, 08:02 PM
Hmm, I got it at least 5 or 6 times on my last playthrough. :D

Wolf Kanno
10-19-2011, 09:30 AM
I changed it to Garnet once just cause I like screwing with games like that. It was especially amusing in Chrono Trigger cause four of the seven cast members don't go by their real names. I didn't think changing her name to Garnet was as amusing. On the one hand I never cared for the name "Dagger" which is why I've always tried to refer to her as Garnet only, but I'm also too lazy to change her name and outside of insults, I can't think of anything fitting for her.

Freya
10-21-2011, 07:56 AM
To be honest. Chansey is the best name.

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx68/Prettyypenguin/FF%20IX/chansey.jpg

Also Pierre is much frenchier of a name than Zidane.

Gamblet
10-21-2011, 01:24 PM
To be honest. Chansey is the best name.

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx68/Prettyypenguin/FF%20IX/chansey.jpg

Also Pierre is much frenchier of a name than Zidane.

Oh noes! THE Pierre from Chrono Cross? *hides in the bushes*

Jiro
10-21-2011, 03:19 PM
I'm gonna make a bold and completely unresearched claim right now, so everybody hold onto your hats.

There is no better frenchman than Zinedine Zidane. The man headbutted a sucka for talking smack and got a high five off the French Prime Minister or President or whatever they have. Pierre is a pussy name in comparison to the French hero Zidane.

(Pierre sounds Frenchier though, I'll give you that.)

Freya
10-21-2011, 03:51 PM
Yeah but THIS Zidane doesn't headbutt people. To compare them to each other is just kinda mean.

Vincent, Thunder God
10-21-2011, 11:54 PM
I called her Dirk (alternate word for dagger) one time, but in subsequent playthroughs I've just kept it as Dagger. I usually don't change the names of characters anymore - there's something more authentic about keeping the names the developers chose.

ReloadPsi
10-22-2011, 12:50 AM
I'd totally date a girl named after a small, deadly weapon. I'd also fear her, but I'd totally date her.

I called her Dirk (alternate word for dagger) one time, but in subsequent playthroughs I've just kept it as Dagger. I usually don't change the names of characters anymore - there's something more authentic about keeping the names the developers chose.

Dirk is an actual boy's name. No, it really is.

Sefie1999AD
10-22-2011, 02:46 PM
Just name Eiko Zidane "Cloak", and we've got a nice pairing. :p Seriously speaking, though, I usually keep the default names, so I'm pretty much used to calling her Dagger.

It's weird to go back to an old save file and see that you named the main female in the game after a girl you had a crush on in the 3rd grade.

I know what you're talking about. When I played FF Tactics ages ago, I named the Chocobos after some friends and a girl I had a crush on. Loading the old save again definitely feels weird. :D

starlet
10-24-2011, 10:18 AM
I dont typically change her name but I do change armarants to something that goes well with flaming. I mean come on, how could you not? The possibilities are endless...

Bolivar
10-25-2011, 08:10 PM
I never named her Dagger, can't stand the "name", games that name people after normal household items always gets my back up

You consider daggers, instruments for stabbing people in the back to be household items?

:tonberry:

I always kept it as Dagger. Like Depression Moon and others have stated, it feels more "right" or canonical for the game. I mean, the developers put a lot of time into thinking these through, guys! (Looking at you dudes who named Aeris "my balls" in that previous FFVII thread "my balls will bring happiness to all those in the slums!")

Might've switched it to Garnet once... And immediately reset the system and go back to that point in the story to change it back... can't remember!

Rostum
10-25-2011, 10:26 PM
Yeah but THIS Zidane doesn't headbutt people. To compare them to each other is just kinda mean.

Well, except for Dagger's bum! :bigsmile:

I always named her Dagger. I think it's a cool name that kind of brings a cute connection between Zidane and Garnet.

Tigmafuzz
11-11-2011, 12:11 AM
I named her Maesyn (http://pulse.yahoo.com/_TGYTOCSS5PWMQKGCIHJYNRBSRQ) after a friend of mine. Read some of her Yahoo! (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Anr3hiZtV4wVXkPn83WAUQvsy6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20110401003302AA39cEr) answers. (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AuzrAthwqM9c7tAnOAEGPuLsy6IX;_ylv=3?qid=20110331220238AA0AtCJ) She's hilarious.

Lyrica is what I've always called her
Ooh. I like that.

Flying Arrow
12-08-2011, 11:41 PM
I'm incapable of not using the default names. I did it once and it literally detracted from my experience because it was so noticeable every time the character would speak.

Quindiana Jones
12-09-2011, 03:48 PM
I call her Bill, after the mule in Lord of the Rings.

I once called everyone in the party "Adelbert", except for Steiner who kept his original. Then the whole game became one big practical joke on Steiner.

Goldenboko
12-11-2011, 03:27 PM
supposed to have a deeper meaning or something (like it's a special nickname or something).

That was the point. To Zidane, Garnet was not Princess or Queen Garnet at any point. He didn't love the rich fancy uptown girl. He liked Dagger, the girl who worked hard at seeming common and who got up to shenanigans with him etc etc. This is most evident when he gets hammered when Garnet ascends then throne. He's not interested in that tit.
Jiro understands!

Also when Garnet snuck back into Alexandria to confront her mother it would've been completely impossible to get through the boarders without an alias.

Levian
12-11-2011, 05:40 PM
Dagger is just a silly name. You don't see me naming myself after inanimate objects! But I suppose I should be glad that she saw a dagger before she saw a wheel or a bottle or something.

Hollycat
12-11-2011, 05:50 PM
or a dirty magazine

Levian
12-11-2011, 05:53 PM
Too many characters!

Laddy
12-12-2011, 06:11 AM
I usually named her Dagger. However, in my first playthrough (I was 7) I named her Zarina. I thought it was a lovely and perfectly common name! It's neither.

Rostum
12-14-2011, 02:08 AM
Dagger is just a silly name. You don't see me naming myself after inanimate objects! But I suppose I should be glad that she saw a dagger before she saw a wheel or a bottle or something.

I'm guessing "Dagger" is more symbolic of her change in personality and rebelion against her mother.

Fatal Impurity
12-16-2011, 10:19 PM
I named my Dagger, Alania just because I'm wierd and have always liked the name.

I like changing the character names as I often feel they don't fit, plus naming the whole cast makes me feel more connected to the characters.

Tigmafuzz
12-25-2011, 12:03 PM
I'd totally date a girl named after a small, deadly weapon. I'd also fear her, but I'd totally date her.
Oh yeah.

I call her Bill, after the mule in Lord of the Rings.

I once called everyone in the party "Adelbert", except for Steiner who kept his original. Then the whole game became one big practical joke on Steiner.
This is why we love you.

Lol "Princess Bottle" would be awesome.

...naming the whole cast makes me feel more connected to the characters.
And thus we have reached our conclusion. Dagger was a stupid name, and naming characters is for our own indulgence.
On a side-note, I started replaying FFIX again yesterday. I was going to name Zidane Cheese and call Garnet Crackers, but there's only seven characters. So now they're Bonnie and Clyde. Zidane's Bonnie. Garnet is Clyde. Quina is named Lapras, for teh lulz. For reals. His name is Hitler. I can't wait to cast Doomsday. :roll2

Gamblet
12-25-2011, 03:49 PM
For reals. His name is Hitler. I can't wait to cast Doomsday. :roll2

Haha *Hitler casts Doomsday*. :D

Jiro
12-27-2011, 03:15 PM
that is wrong on so many levels but :up:

Gamblet
12-27-2011, 03:21 PM
For reals. His name is Hitler. I can't wait to cast Doomsday. :roll2

Haha *Hitler casts Doomsday*. :D

"I haven't hurt anyone.." :p

Benjirino~!
12-30-2011, 12:02 PM
I don't like changing from default names, so I tend to call her Dagger. But, like Raian, I have changed it to Garnet on occasion. I did once change it to BrdSword (or something similar, I can't recall what the character limit forced me to change it to) during one play through, due to her little chat with Zidane about what each blade was called.

Tigmafuzz
12-30-2011, 04:24 PM
I don't like changing from default names, so I tend to call her Dagger. But, like Raian, I have changed it to Garnet on occasion. I did once change it to BrdSword (or something similar, I can't recall what the character limit forced me to change it to) during one play through, due to her little chat with Zidane about what each blade was called.
I would have trouble naming her BrdSwrd. Every time I look at it I would think "Bird Sword" and that's just horrible. I mean, a sword made of birds would look cool, but it would be very cruel. Especially if it were a fire sword. I don't think I would enjoy hitting people with a sword made of flaming birds. Well, I would, but I wouldn't want the birds to be hurt. Although they'd be in constant pain because of the fire anyway. What was I talking about?

Benjirino~!
12-30-2011, 04:30 PM
A sword made either by or of chocobos, by the sounds of things.

chrysanths
01-27-2012, 11:41 PM
I always used Dagger. Her wit was as sharp as the edge of the blade (lawl, poetic nonsense failure), and it connected her with Zidane. (I could imagine Steiner silently pissed over his princess choosing a name connecting her to the thief who kidnapped her.)

Jiro
01-30-2012, 07:11 PM
(I could imagine Steiner silently pissed over his princess choosing a name connecting her to the thief who kidnapped her.)

He didn't seem silently pissed :p

Quindiana Jones
02-03-2012, 06:55 PM
More "I can't wait to execute you" pissed.